PDA

View Full Version : When to change out Sleeping Bags?

firesign
12-17-2012, 14:03
Hi Guys,

Looking at a start date of 1st to 15th March (thru hike). I will be using a tent whenever possible. The winter bag should be good for about 15F (conf), the summer for about 30F

Approximately when would I changeout my winter bag for the summer bag?

When would I change back?

I know that the weather is the unpredictable factor, so just your best advice please based on your experience.

Appreciate your responses.

FS

Rolls Kanardly
12-17-2012, 14:27
I read where a hiking party hit the first 75 degree day and shipped everything home only to go a couple of days later and have a storm move in with a lot of cold and rain with it. Becareful about sending your cold weather gear back to soon. My own choice is a twenty degree bag with a bag liner that adds 20 degrees. The summer bag and the liner are lighter than one winter bag and I can sleep in just the liner until late summer. I may carry both and wait and see after three or four weeks. I will also have a tent. My starting date will be roughly the same so hope to see you on the AT.
Muske-gon

Karma13
12-17-2012, 14:29
My own choice is a twenty degree bag with a bag liner that adds 20 degrees.

Just curious: what brand of liner is that? I haven't seen one that goes that high, but I'd like to check it out.

swjohnsey
12-17-2012, 21:42
I did the whole thing with a 35 degree bag. I would wait 'til Damascus then do a good weather check. If you don't dilly dally you can keep the summer bag 'til Katahdin.

mtnkngxt
12-18-2012, 08:45
After living around Damascus and the Highlands for 5 years I'd say to wait until you get to Marion or a little bit north of there.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2012, 09:17
Pearisburg, Va.

garlic08
12-18-2012, 09:30
It depends on how fast you hike, too. Best advice I heard, belatedly, was to wait until the Trail Days weekend (mid-May). I sent my winter stuff home from Pearisburg in early May, and suffered through a Mother's Day storm, wet and very cold, just before Shenandoah NP. I was two weeks too early.

firesign
12-18-2012, 13:31
Hey Guys, thank you for your advice.

I have absolutely no problem carrying a winter bag for couple of extra weeks.

Appreciated.

SCRUB HIKER
12-18-2012, 23:13
Ditto on Trail Days--it's Baltimore Jack's suggestion in the resupply guide. I ignored it at my peril--traded out in the first week of May still in Tennessee, and was promptly snowed upon 3 days later. Had to bail to Greasy Creek Friendly hostel for a night, which was nice but wouldn't have been necessary if I had proper gear.

I switched back in Rangeley, Maine in the first week of September but that turned out to be unnecessary. Different years will be different and YMMV.

Rolls Kanardly
04-17-2013, 13:05
The Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme Thermolite Liner description says adds 25 degrees to sleeping bag. It weighs 14 ounces. Little heavy but for a couple of weeks at the beginning of the trail and when you hit the Whites, it might be worth it. Muske-go n

Coosa
04-17-2013, 13:42
EVERY year seems to be slightly different ... but a good guess would be look at the date as well as the town you're passing through to decide when to send warmer clothing home and when to have warmer clothing returned to you.

If you're a fairly fast hiker, you might be able to start later, carry less winter gear, and finish earlier ... and never need "cold weather" gear at all.

Coosa

Nooga
04-17-2013, 15:42
Pearisburg, Va.

Damascus, but better yet as above!

Dogwood
04-17-2013, 18:07
AT NOBO. Right about now - third wk of Apr. Carry a liner and/or light wt thermal bottoms for a bit w/ the summy bag to see if you get a few more nights around freezing. I've been on the BMT/AT the past 10 days near Springer Mt. My 20 * down GoLite quilt is beginning to be a bit too warm even while cowboying.

MuddyWaters
04-17-2013, 20:29
The Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme Thermolite Liner description says adds 25 degrees to sleeping bag. It weighs 14 ounces. Little heavy but for a couple of weeks at the beginning of the trail and when you hit the Whites, it might be worth it. Muske-go n

Ummm. No.

It ads "Up to 25 degrees"
They all add "up to "
That way they arent lying
Its their way of conning people.

It would be 20x better insulator than down if it actually could provide 25F of insulation in a 1/16" thickness.
What do you think the chances are?

To the original OP, 30F isnt a summer bag. Ive sweated horribly in that, even used as quilt.

RED-DOG
04-18-2013, 17:35
Wait till Pearisburg.

JohnG10
04-20-2013, 13:52
I live in the harpers ferry area. most folks want a 55 degree bag here in the summer. 40 degree from mid May to early June. 30 degree from late april to mid may. 20 degree last week in March to mid april.

Use clothing & ventilation to adjust around the 2 sleeping bags you have.

Bronk
04-21-2013, 01:49
May 21st 2002, woke up to snow just south of War Spur shelter north of Pearisburg.

Dogwood
04-21-2013, 10:38
15* switching out to a 30* bag folks. Keep that in mind!