PDA

View Full Version : Missing Hiker Alert-PCT-Story from a thru hiker

TOW
05-26-2005, 11:51
My name is Connie Davis and I am thru-hiking the PCT this year with my son, Alex
Davis. We camped with Seabreeze on the night of 5.2.05 at Fobes Saddle. Another
hiker, trail name Gutsy (female), was also camped there. We were there at about
5 PM and Seabreeze arrived later. He told us he had the trail name for a couple
of reasons--that he had been in the Navy and that he used to empty a Seabreeze astringent
bottle and put some whiskey in it when he was camping and his friends gave him that
name. I was impressed by how little gear and clothing he had with him. He was
wearing shorts, had thin nylon pants, but cooked his meal from his sleeping bag
and I think he put socks on his hands to keep them warm.

That evening I know the four of us discussed the trail conditions ahead because
Alex and I had been planning to hike to the top of the tram on San Jacinto and meet
up with relatives in Palm Springs, but we had heard this wouldn't be possible.
Gutsy had a sore foot but needed to make up some lost time and was planning to hike
to Saddle Junction and Devil's Slide Trail. Alex and I were keeping our options
open about which trail we would take off the ridge to the west depending on the
snow. I don't remember if Seabreeze told us his plans.

The next morning Gutsy left before the rest of us. Alex and I leap-frogged up
the trail passing Seabreeze frequently until we got into the snow. I don't remember
if Seabreeze had any hiking poles, but he was wearing tennis shoes. I was wearing
hiking boots and gaiters and my son had trail runners and gaiters. We were in front
of him at this point and when we hit the solid snow, we started looking at maps
for physical features of where Saddle Junction was, where the trail goes down to
Idyllwild. We told Seabreeze he might not want to follow us, since we were using
the compass, altimeter and the terrain to guide us and might not be taking the easiest
route. I was kicking steps in the snow with my boots. Seabreeze continued to follow
us and at one point he stopped to put instep crampons on his tennis shoes. He fell
frequently and would yell loudly. He would then assure us he was okay. After we
passed the two streams in the valley, we used the altimeter to walk a contour at
about 8000 feet, since we knew we would hit Saddle Junction that way. At this point
Seabreeze was behind us but told us he would follow our footsteps. I believe we
were about 1/2 mile from Saddle Junction when we last saw him. We went down Devil's
Slide Trail in about the mid-afternoon and didn't see Seabreeze after that.

When we got down to the park at the bottom of Devil's Slide Trail we met Shutterbugg
and at least three other people headed up to hike Fuller Ridge who were getting
out of Meadow Mary's RV. They may have seen Seabreeze after they got to the top.

I hope this is useful and I am so sorry that Seabreeze is missing.

Pencil Pusher
05-26-2005, 12:39
Shouldn't there be a news blurb or equivalent as a preface? I'm assuming you're not Connie.

TOW
05-26-2005, 14:38
Read the title pal.............
Shouldn't there be a news blurb or equivalent as a preface? I'm assuming you're not Connie.

Pencil Pusher
05-26-2005, 15:20
Read the title pal.............
How profound. Perhaps your own words serve best:

Do not flood the sherriffs dept with phone calls! They have asked that everyone just stay put from the phones so that they can do their jobs! They are well aware that Seabreeze is very well known and thought of, but they cannot handle the flood of calls that they have been recieving. I Trust You guys!
I Trust You Too.

Stoker53
05-26-2005, 17:55
How profound. Perhaps your own words serve best:

I Trust You Too.
PP shame on you for assuming that when YOU poke at someone they will not poke you back. You have been on Wander's case from the minute he started the thread......a thread that was intended to bring attention to a possible serious situation for a AT hiker.

mjwood0
05-26-2005, 17:59
@PP -- Is this really necessary? Communicating that there is a lost hiker and giving a website from a Police Department seems to make perfect sense on a <gasp> HIKING board...

@Wanderer -- While I have never met or heard of the hiker in question, please do keep us updated on this situation.

Pencil Pusher
05-26-2005, 18:31
Poke all you want, no skin off my back. Clear, concise and factual is all I seek. Maybe he's just an odd dude without typing skills. As it reads now, there is no police department link for this thread, The Wanderer is Connie Davis, he has spoken to the sheriff's office and they asked him to pass on info to not call (??)and It Is Hard As Heck To Capitalize Each And Every Word Like The Third Odd Thread For This Topic. THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T CLAIM THE CAPS LOCK KEY WAS ON.

Y'all jump on my guns all you want, I smell something fishy.

TOW
05-26-2005, 19:28
What's under your skin here PP?

No wonder you call yourself the American Idiot!

wanderer

Poke all you want, no skin off my back. Clear, concise and factual is all I seek. Maybe he's just an odd dude without typing skills. As it reads now, there is no police department link for this thread, The Wanderer is Connie Davis, he has spoken to the sheriff's office and they asked him to pass on info to not call (??)and It Is Hard As Heck To Capitalize Each And Every Word Like The Third Odd Thread For This Topic. THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T CLAIM THE CAPS LOCK KEY WAS ON.

TOW
05-26-2005, 19:35
Pencil Pusher go to the post I posted with the link to the sherriffs department. If you want to see where I got all my info I will be glad to email you if you email me first. With the picture post I was just passing on what I had recieved in an email from the person who sent it to me without exposing them. I belong to other hiking sites as well as this one.

Furthermore take your proper journalistic expertise and go on a hike with it! PaL! (How do ya like that one?)

wanderer

MOWGLI
05-26-2005, 20:35
Wanderer. Thanks for posting this info. I hope the guy got off the trail and is sitting in a bar somewhere drinking a cold one.

Tha Wookie
05-26-2005, 20:50
Wanderer. Thanks for posting this info. I hope the guy got off the trail and is sitting in a bar somewhere drinking a cold one.
I'm buying....

Nightwalker
05-27-2005, 00:09
Take a shower. :D

TOW
05-27-2005, 08:12
i second that
Take a shower. :D

Ridge
05-28-2005, 16:41
....Seabreeze continued to follow
us and at one point he stopped to put instep crampons on his tennis shoes. He fell frequently and would yell loudly....
I believe a search around this area would be a good starting point.

Tim Rich
05-29-2005, 17:00
http://www.pe.com/localnews/hemet/stories/PE_News_Local_D_search28.2a202b.html

Search continues for missing hiker

LOST: John Donovan was walking the Pacific Crest Trail near Idyllwild when he disappeared.

11:05 PM PDT on Friday, May 27, 2005

By KENNY KLEIN / The Press-Enterprise

Rescuers plan to return to the San Jacinto wilderness today to search for a lost hiker they believe may be somewhere along the Pacific Crest Trail.

Fellow hikers last saw John Donovan, 60, of Virginia, near Saddle Junction, east of Idyllwild on May 3, said Riverside County sheriff's Sgt. Terry Meadows.

The search effort will focus on the same area near Idyllwild even though rescuers searched some of the trails last week butfound no sign of Donovan.

"We are learning more day-by-day as hikers pass along information to us," Gwenda Yates, spokeswoman for the Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit, said Friday.

Yates said about 30 rescue unit volunteers will be joined by other rescuers from San Diego, San Bernardino and Los Angeles counties today.

The base camp at Humber Park will operate through Sunday, Yates said.

Donovan began hiking the Pacific Crest Trail on April 22 with hundreds of other hikers on the California-Mexican border north of Baja, Mexico, Meadows said.

Donovan had hiked about 178 miles on the trail with a plan to hike 1,800 miles and finish in Oregon, Meadows said. He also planned to meet cousins in Wrightwood, Meadows said.

Donovan was expected to pick up supply packages at the Cabazon Post Office several days after he was last seen, but never arrived.

Donovan did pick up supplies at the Anza Post Office on May 2, Meadows said.

Hikers use the post offices to pick up supplies they have pre-mailed, and others sent by family and friends, Meadows said.

The Pacific Crest Trail spans 2,650 miles from Mexico to Canada and through three western states: California, Oregon and Washington.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Hemet Sheriff's Station at (951) 791-3400.

TOW
05-29-2005, 18:29
thankyou for posting this....................wanderer
http://www.pe.com/localnews/hemet/stories/PE_News_Local_D_search28.2a202b.html

Search continues for missing hiker

LOST: John Donovan was walking the Pacific Crest Trail near Idyllwild when he disappeared.

11:05 PM PDT on Friday, May 27, 2005

By KENNY KLEIN / The Press-Enterprise

Rescuers plan to return to the San Jacinto wilderness today to search for a lost hiker they believe may be somewhere along the Pacific Crest Trail.

Fellow hikers last saw John Donovan, 60, of Virginia, near Saddle Junction, east of Idyllwild on May 3, said Riverside County sheriff's Sgt. Terry Meadows.

The search effort will focus on the same area near Idyllwild even though rescuers searched some of the trails last week butfound no sign of Donovan.

"We are learning more day-by-day as hikers pass along information to us," Gwenda Yates, spokeswoman for the Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit, said Friday.

Yates said about 30 rescue unit volunteers will be joined by other rescuers from San Diego, San Bernardino and Los Angeles counties today.

The base camp at Humber Park will operate through Sunday, Yates said.

Donovan began hiking the Pacific Crest Trail on April 22 with hundreds of other hikers on the California-Mexican border north of Baja, Mexico, Meadows said.

Donovan had hiked about 178 miles on the trail with a plan to hike 1,800 miles and finish in Oregon, Meadows said. He also planned to meet cousins in Wrightwood, Meadows said.

Donovan was expected to pick up supply packages at the Cabazon Post Office several days after he was last seen, but never arrived.

Donovan did pick up supplies at the Anza Post Office on May 2, Meadows said.

Hikers use the post offices to pick up supplies they have pre-mailed, and others sent by family and friends, Meadows said.

The Pacific Crest Trail spans 2,650 miles from Mexico to Canada and through three western states: California, Oregon and Washington.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Hemet Sheriff's Station at (951) 791-3400.

Abby
06-01-2005, 21:33
I believe a search around this area would be a good starting point.
Yes, this would probably be a good starting point. I know John Donovan, and in response to some earlier posts, there is nothing fishy about his being missing. Unfortunately, he is notorious for getting lost. (Virginia Appalachian Trail Club) I have been on several hikes with him, and he got lost. He never carries walking poles and probably doesn't have a compass. He takes risks on the trail and carries little gear. He rarely uses maps. He could have fallen and gotten hurt and couldn't find his way out. It is unlike him not to contact someone if he can. Our AT club used to say that if you went on a hike with John Donovan, take along supplies for several days, because you might get lost and not come back on time.

TOW
06-01-2005, 23:01
wow alot of you guys as well as some of my friends know this cat pretty well, i thought i met him once in hot springs

Hammock Hanger
06-02-2005, 07:01
has this guy been found yet???

TOW
06-02-2005, 08:03
has this guy been found yet???nope...............................

TOW
06-02-2005, 08:08
has this guy been found yet???this was sent to me on the 31st from a member here.......

<CENTER>http://www.towncrier.com/weblogo.jpg

</CENTER>
<SMALL><SMALL>Weekly news since 1946. Online since 1995.

</SMALL></SMALL><HR style="WIDTH: 100%; HEIGHT: 2px"><SMALL><SMALL>Idyllwild is located at 5,300' in the San Jacinto Mountains </SMALL><SMALL>

above Palm Springs, CA.</SMALL></SMALL>
<SMALL><SMALL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">
</BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG></SMALL><SMALL><BIG style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(255,0,0); FONT-FAMILY: helvetica,arial,sans-serif"><BIG><BIG><BIG>Breaking News!</BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG></SMALL>
<SMALL><BIG style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(51,0,153); FONT-FAMILY: times new roman,times,serif"><BIG><BIG><BIG><SMALL>PCT hiker still missing
<SMALL style="COLOR: rgb(0,0,0)"><SMALL>6:10 p.m. Tuesday, May 31
By J.P. Crumrine • Asst. Editor &
Becky Clark • News Editor

http://www.towncrier.com/donovannew.jpg
John Donovan

</SMALL></SMALL></SMALL></BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG></SMALL>

On Saturday, more than 30 rescuers combed the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) north and south of Saddle Junction for missing hiker John Donovan, 60, of Virginia. At the end of the day, there was no success and rescuers called off the search temporarily.

Sgt. Terry Meadows of the Riverside County Sheriff’s Station in Hemet said a search will continue probably Thursday of this week along the Fuller Ridge Trail to Snow Creek, the final 16 miles of the PCT in these mountains.

Donovan was last seen May 2 when he camped with a woman and her son about a half mile south of the Saddle, according to Lt. Bill Picone, Riverside Sheriff’s Department Hemet Station.

Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit (RMRU) has searched along the PCT from Highway 74 to the Fuller Ridge Trail, “near the trail, along the sides of the trail and lateral to the trail,” said Meadows, “so far without any results.”

RMRU has 29 members, “eight teams of four hiking the trail,” said Terry Greenstein, president of the search and rescue group, on Saturday. “They are all searching for him.”

Rescuers looked intensely off the trail for several reasons, one of which is the popularity of this section of the PCT in the spring.

“With all the people hiking the trail, he would have been seen if he were on or near the trail,” Greenstein said. “We’re covering different areas and different drainages in case he wandered off the trail.”

Losing the trail is a possibility, according to Picone. The woman who last saw Donovan said she and her son found it so difficult they left the trail at Humber Park.

“She said it was very dangerous north of the saddle,” Picone said. “They couldn’t see the trail and were navigating with a compass and still knew they were off the trail.”

Based on earlier information, the Sheriff’s Department conducted an aerial search of the trail north of Idyllwild on Wednesday. Then RMRU searched the trails on foot and found no evidence of Donovan.

After another aerial search of the trail from Fuller Ridge south to Paradise Corners where he was seen May 2, the Sheriff’s Department and RMRU conducted the extensive ground search Saturday.

Some of the searchers began climbing the trails at 5 a.m. Saturday.

“We’re conducting this as a missing person’s case,” Picone said. “If we’re not successful today, we’ll check his credit cards to see if there has been any use since May 2 or 3.”

Donovan was expected to meet his cousins in Wrightwood more than a week ago. He also was expected to pick up supply packages at the Cabazon Post Office a few days after May 3 but had not arrived.

Donovan is described as 5 feet, 8 inches tall with a stocky build. He uses a green tarp for shelter which also serves as a poncho, and wears gray windpants and a light beige or yellow backpack, according to the Sheriff’s Department.

However, friends Chris Hook and Heidi Henderson of Richmond, Va. said Donovan’s pack is an orange- or sun-colored Go-Lite Speed that he bought for the PCT hike. They said he has a red LL Bean down jacket, and his shoes are chrome/silver Nike trail runners.

“We gave him the coat and shoes so are confident in the brands,” they wrote in an e-mail.

He typically remains clean shaven during long hikes.

Donovan is a recently retired social worker at the Central State Hospital in Petersburg, Va. A former co-worker, Sharon Loving, said he is an avid hiker who also belongs to the Old Dominion Applachian Trail Club.

She said Donovan got her interested in hiking and many of his hiking friends are concerned about him. “Everybody out here has been so worried,” she said.

A network of hiking friends are e-mailing as news is heard. A report of a rescued hiker in Los Angeles County brought excitement.

When Loving heard that it wasn’t Donovan, she said, “I am kind of devastated to hear that this guy … wasn’t John …

“I know they’re making every rescue effort,” said Loving.

Anyone having any information is asked to call the Hemet Sheriff’s Station at (951) 791-3400.

Nean
06-03-2005, 07:35
Well hopefully this turns out like it did with a friend a few years back when he got off the trail and decided not to tell anyone. Had everyone and their brother looking for him for a month or so as he is a very well known hiker who should of known better. I won't comment on what I don't know about Seabreeze but this I do. Going ultra light in those conditions probably worked against him. People have been predicting disaster ever since "ultra" became popular. I've seen those who would risk their safety over half, yes I said HALF an ounce! Some things are more important than weight.

HikeLite
06-03-2005, 10:31
And with the new SUPERultralight (SUL) category being reported by BPL, the margin of safety is being further slimmed. Unless you buy the gear from only a handful of places (BPL, Gossamergear, MLD, etc.) your margin of safety goes out the door because you may skimp in other areas to meet the five pound baseweight.

Go SUL in the wrong environmental conditions, and you could find yourself SOL! I do hope lack of gear is not the cause of this persons missing status.

TOW
06-03-2005, 11:08
And with the new SUPERultralight (SUL) category being reported by BPL, the margin of safety is being further slimmed. Unless you buy the gear from only a handful of places (BPL, Gossamergear, MLD, etc.) your margin of safety goes out the door because you may skimp in other areas to meet the five pound baseweight.

Go SUL in the wrong environmental conditions, and you could find yourself SOL! I do hope lack of gear is not the cause of this persons missing status.may be the case??????

SGT Rock
06-03-2005, 11:22

Go SUL in the wrong environmental conditions, and you could find yourself SOL! I do hope lack of gear is not the cause of this persons missing status.
I tend to agree. I am currently doing a packing list for BPL for that SUL challenge thing, and I wouldn't want to use that sort of stuff except in certain conditions and places. At a certain point it seems that reducing pack weight becomes more of a exercise in theory rather than practicality and that is done in a way to more compete to see who can get the lightest rather than who is applying other factors such as safety, skills, weather, comfort, etc.

Just my opinion, but knowing how to apply some ultralight tricks are like knowing a style of martial arts. It is a nice thing to have a group of skills to pick from when you need them, but you don't have to confine yourself to one way totally. Learn to use the right skills in the right place at the right time.

Nean
06-03-2005, 12:27
WELL said SGT Rock.

chooked
06-04-2005, 08:51
Abby,
I'm sure you've hiked with John alot, though I've never seen you. I'm sure you're a long distance hiker, but I bet you're not. You wouldn't dream of hiking the miles and destinations that John did. Your accusations about his character are nothing but disrespect for a man that was one of the greatest hikers I knew.

LIST OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS
AT / completed 2004 (series of long section hikes)
PCT / 2002 / oregon & washington + John Muir in CA
BAKER TRAIL / 2003 / solo
LONG TRAIL / 2000
BIG BLUE / 1999
BIG SOUTH FORK / 2001
FLORIDA TRAIL / 2002
COUNTLESS WEEKENDS (every weekend on the trail)
I'm sure there are more trails but I can't think of them all now.

John's getting turned around (lost as you say) was part of his character.
He enjoyed being outdoors and being in an unexpected place was never an issue, just part of the trip. I can say I've hiked with him for many miles and getting turned around was few and far between. I've made mistakes too, if you're out there enough, it'll happen to anyone. His gear was light, there is a trend to be light and he was. He had all the essentials and no more. We don't know what happened to John yet. All I can say is that it was his desire to complete the PCT and unfortunately it seems that the trail was difficult in the packed snow and it might have meant the end to a wonderful story. Please don't spread rumors when you have no idea about their truth.

Chris Hook

Frosty
06-04-2005, 12:54
John's getting turned around (lost as you say) was part of his character.This and the report of the hiker who saw him last:

I was impressed by how little gear and clothing he had with him. He was wearing shorts, had thin nylon pants, but cooked his meal from his sleeping bag and I think he put socks on his hands to keep them warm.

is not a good combination.

neo
06-04-2005, 14:07
you can go really lite in winter with the right

http://www.rei.com/product/47637958.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC

http://www.ray-way.com/tarp-nettent/index.shtml

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/EQ2010

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/SD2413

just a few examples of the right cold weather gear:cool: neo

neo
06-04-2005, 14:09
i sure hope the guy is ok and that he turns up alive some were:cool: neo

TOW
06-04-2005, 14:33
He's still missing............wanderer

June 2, 2005 News
<HR width="100%">
<B><BIG>PCT hiker is
still missing</BIG> </B>
<BIG></BIG>

<B><SMALL>
<BIG>By J.P. Crumrine
Assistant Editor
and Becky Clark
News Editor
</BIG></SMALL></B>
<BIG><SMALL></SMALL></BIG>

On Saturday, more than 30 rescuers combed the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) north and south of Saddle Junction for missing hiker John Donovan, 60, of Virginia. At the end of the day, there was no success and rescuers called off the search temporarily.

Sgt. Terry Meadows of the Riverside County Sheriff’s Station in Hemet said a search will continue probably Thursday of this week along the Fuller Ridge Trail to Snow Creek, the final 16 miles of the PCT in these mountains.

Donovan was last seen May 2 when he camped with a woman and her son about a half mile south of the Saddle, according to Lt. Bill Picone, Riverside Sheriff’s Department Hemet Station.

Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit (RMRU) has searched along the PCT from Highway 74 to the Fuller Ridge Trail, “near the [PCT] trail, along the sides of the trail and lateral to the trail,” said Meadows, “so far without any results.”

RMRU has 29 members, “eight teams of four hiking the trail,” Terry Greenstein, president of the search and rescue group, said on Saturday. “They are all searching for him.”

Rescuers looked intensely off the trail for several reasons, one of which is the popularity of this section of the PCT in the spring.

“With all the people hiking the trail, he would have been seen if he were on or near the trail,” Greenstein said. “We’re covering different areas and different drainages in case he wandered off the trail.”

Losing the trail is a possibility, according to Picone. The woman who last saw Donovan said she and her son found it so difficult because of the weather that they left the trail at Humber Park.

“She said it was very dangerous north of the saddle,” Picone said. “They couldn’t see the trail and were navigating with a compass and still knew they were off the trail.”

Based on earlier information, the Sheriff’s Department conducted an aerial search of the trail north of Idyllwild on Wednesday. Then RMRU searched the trails on foot and found no evidence of Donovan.

After another aerial search of the trail from Fuller Ridge south to Paradise Corners where he was seen May 2, the Sheriff’s Department and RMRU conducted the extensive ground search Saturday.

Some of the searchers began climbing the trails at 5 a.m. Saturday.

“We’re conducting this as a missing person’s case,” Picone said. “If we’re not successful today, we’ll check his credit cards to see if there has been any use since May 2 or 3.”

Donovan was expected to meet his cousins in Wrightwood more than a week ago. He also was expected to pick up supply packages at the Cabazon Post Office a few days after May 3 but had not arrived.

Donovan is described as 5 feet, 8 inches tall with a stocky build. He uses a green tarp for shelter which also serves as a poncho, and wears gray windpants and a light beige or yellow backpack, according to the Sheriff’s Department.

However, friends Chris Hook and Heidi Henderson of Richmond, Va. said Donovan’s pack is an orange- or sun-colored Go-Lite Speed that he bought for the PCT hike. They said he has a red LL Bean down jacket, and his shoes are chrome/silver Nike trail runners.

“We gave him the coat and shoes so are confident in the brands,” they wrote in an e-mail.

He typically remains clean shaven during long hikes.

Donovan is a recently retired social worker at the Central State Hospital in Petersburg, Va. A former co-worker, Sharon Loving, said he is an avid hiker who also belongs to the Old Dominion Applachian Trail Club.

She said Donovan got her interested in hiking and many of his hiking friends are concerned about him. “Everybody out here has been so worried,” she said.

A network of hiking friends are e-mailing as news is heard. A report of a rescued hiker in Los Angeles County brought excitement.

When Loving heard that it wasn’t Donovan, she said, “I am kind of devastated to hear that this guy … wasn’t John …

“I know they’re making every rescue effort,” said Loving last Friday.

On Wednesday, Loving said of Donovan’s friends, “Some respond in a way that they think it’s over. Some (like me) are still definitely hopeful and are actively involved in a prayer vigil [for] John and those searching for him.”

Anyone having any information is asked to call the Hemet Sheriff’s Station at (951) 791-3400.

http://www.towncrier.com/pages/stories/donovannew.jpg
John Donovan

Abby
06-04-2005, 21:46
Excuse me??? I like John Donovan and was NOT attacking his character. You know trail clubs made jokes about his getting lost-it was all in good sport. Yes, he was a damned good hiker, but he did take risks. Would you go walking through deep snow in tennis shoes? I don't think so. Would you travel as light as he did? Probably not. Have you traveled the distances he has? I doubt it.

No, I haven't traveled as far as he has, but I've run half-marathons and hiked 18 miles in a day. Not a couch potato.

It's insulting that you thought I was attacking John Donovan's character. Who said anything about his character? He's a kind, jovial, good-hearted man with a hearty laugh and a willing spirit. I'm just saying he took risks on the trail and did get lost.

Abby,
I'm sure you've hiked with John alot, though I've never seen you. I'm sure you're a long distance hiker, but I bet you're not. You wouldn't dream of hiking the miles and destinations that John did. Your accusations about his character are nothing but disrespect for a man that was one of the greatest hikers I knew.

LIST OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS
AT / completed 2004 (series of long section hikes)
PCT / 2002 / oregon & washington + John Muir in CA
BAKER TRAIL / 2003 / solo
LONG TRAIL / 2000
BIG BLUE / 1999
BIG SOUTH FORK / 2001
FLORIDA TRAIL / 2002
COUNTLESS WEEKENDS (every weekend on the trail)
I'm sure there are more trails but I can't think of them all now.

John's getting turned around (lost as you say) was part of his character.
He enjoyed being outdoors and being in an unexpected place was never an issue, just part of the trip. I can say I've hiked with him for many miles and getting turned around was few and far between. I've made mistakes too, if you're out there enough, it'll happen to anyone. His gear was light, there is a trend to be light and he was. He had all the essentials and no more. We don't know what happened to John yet. All I can say is that it was his desire to complete the PCT and unfortunately it seems that the trail was difficult in the packed snow and it might have meant the end to a wonderful story. Please don't spread rumors when you have no idea about their truth.

Chris Hook

Nean
06-04-2005, 21:58
I was going to point that out myself Abby but figured you would do a better job- and did. I think emotions can run high in dealing with a situation like this and maybe we can give one another a break. I wonder if he has family?

Abby
06-05-2005, 11:54
You're right, I'm sorry if I offended people about Donovan. Chris is right. We don't know what happened, and I hope we find out soon. I wish more than anything that he's okay.

TOW
06-05-2005, 13:52
i went to the web browser and there are at least two other hiking sites talking about this as well as numerouse news sites

Ridge
06-05-2005, 16:07
Talked to my husband today. He(Ridge) and his cousin(CS or choppedsteak are in Idyllwild. He says its hard to believe no one has seen this guy with all the hikers around. He also says the trail can be hard to follow at times and its possible he went off into never-never land, lots of ice/snow on the trails makes for a tough time. Would not reccomend night hiking. hikerwife

TOW
06-05-2005, 21:23
you know it is hard to believe that no one spotted this guy. i wonder if he might have gotten off the trail to go seek some help and some one some place might know something? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_3.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm020YYUS)

chooked
06-07-2005, 22:33
I was too harsh and over the top with my reply to Abby. I was trying to remind everyone that John's intent was good and that he wanted nothing more than to be on the trail. It seemed like the conversation had turned away from the loss of his life to "no wonder he's lost" discussion. I shouldn't have been so aggressive towards you Abby and I too apologize for the way I came reacted.

Someday, we'll all walk together.....

You're right, I'm sorry if I offended people about Donovan. Chris is right. We don't know what happened, and I hope we find out soon. I wish more than anything that he's okay.

Ridge
06-07-2005, 22:51
I haven't researshed all the info concerning the search efforts, but have they searched southbound from the last place he was seen?

chooked
06-07-2005, 23:10
My girlfriend and I hiked this past weekend and it was our first hike since returning from Utah and since hearing about John.

the memories of hikes with John will drift from my mind and move away from consciousness.

knowing that I will never have any to replace them weighs heavily on my soul.

John, I will never forget all that you taught me and the cheer that you brought to each and every trip.

Heidi & I walked this weekend in the Virginia mountains and talked of you often, as I'm sure we will on every trip.
The mountains seemed empty without you there, the winds felt silent.
I know you wouldn't want us to be sad because I'm sure you're happy and would want the same for us.

I woke the next morning on the hill with Heidi and we starred off into the morning sun.
The view was wonderful and we took in the beauty. John was smiling, I'm sure.

We walked on down the hill and went back to our car, where we picked up the "Thistle & Shamrock".

Bagpipes played all the way home.

chooked
06-07-2005, 23:20
The website below has a huge amount of information and describes in detail where they have searched. It might take a bit to see it all as it's in many different posts. I think they have looked south but not exactly sure as I don't know the areas they are describing. If you're hiking, have hiked the PCT and know the area then maybe you can verify here if they have.

[email protected] (http://[email protected]/)

chooked
06-07-2005, 23:24
The previous was an incorrect address

http://www.archivum.info/[email protected]/2005-05/

Abby
06-08-2005, 21:14
Thanks, but you didn't need to apologize. John is a very good friend of yours, and you're right, I only hiked with him on occasional group hikes. I was hoping searchers would find John safe and sound, but so much time has passed. He did love the trail more than anything.

I was too harsh and over the top with my reply to Abby. I was trying to remind everyone that John's intent was good and that he wanted nothing more than to be on the trail. It seemed like the conversation had turned away from the loss of his life to "no wonder he's lost" discussion. I shouldn't have been so aggressive towards you Abby and I too apologize for the way I came reacted.

Someday, we'll all walk together.....

Deerleg
06-13-2005, 21:01
This is very sad…has anyone heard any new news since the beginning of the month?

Below is a quote from an e-mail I received from Brian Barnhart an SB AT thru hiker from 2001 who is currently on the PCT. Sounds like conditions have been tough this spring.

“"The Khaki Crew" took a short rest, and
bought some new equipment. We were transported from "Kennedy Meadows"
California in the southern Sierras to Manning Park in Canada. This
would have been the end of the Pacific Crest Trail if we had been
able to cross the Sierra Mountains. Unfortunately, they were snow
and ice covered; the trail was not passable.”

TOW
06-13-2005, 21:21
<TABLE cellPadding=10 width="90%" bgColor=#ffffff border=1><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER>Riverside County Sheriff's Department
MISSING HIKER

</CENTER>http://www.riversidesheriff.org/crime/cases/images/05145hem1.jpg <CENTER>Hiker John Donovan, age 60, of Virginia.
5'08" stocky build. </CENTER>

Began hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in April and was last seen near the junction of Highway 371 and Highway 74 east of Anza on May 2nd. He was expected to pick up supply packages at the Cabazon Post Office 3 to 5 days later, but has not arrived. Consequently, he is expected to be located on or near the Pacific Crest Trail in the San Jacinto Wilderness area of the San Bernardino National Forest.

Additional Identifying information:

Uses a green tarp for shelter, which also serves as a poncho; gray windpants; light beige or possibly yellow pack; typically remains clean-shaven during long hikes.

Anyone with information relating to his possible location is being requested to contact the Riverside County Sheriff's Hemet Station at (951) 791-3400. <CENTER>Printable flyer (http://www.riversidesheriff.org/crime/cases/05145hem.pdf) - Adobe pdf format </CENTER>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mini-Mosey
06-15-2005, 17:54
Apparently they haven't found him yet?

Ridge
07-12-2005, 00:03
My husband, currently on the PCT, has asked me to check on the latest info. Does anyone know if the search is ongoing? Any info at all? :confused:

HikeLite
07-12-2005, 09:44
I thought I read that the search was ended. It was suspected he walked into a snow storm so he may not be found 'til next spring, the body I mean. Correct me if I am wrong someone.

HikeLite
07-12-2005, 10:07
Here is what I had read right on this site.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9377

TOW
07-12-2005, 10:34
Here is what I had read right on this site.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9377well, i think they're going to continue looking, i mean there is just no sign of him at all? i don't think anyhow?

The Cheat
05-10-2006, 11:01
...and he unknowingly helps two hikers a year after disappearing:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/10/losthikers.found.ap/index.html

Rancid
05-10-2006, 11:18
Thanks for posting this update, I've often wondered about his fate. I sort-of hope that they do not find his remains, so that he will always be apart of something he loved, and an object of folklore.

BSquared
05-15-2006, 18:05
[QUOTE=RancidI sort-of hope that they do not find his remains, so that he will always be apart of something he loved, and an object of folklore.[/QUOTE]
But... it would be nice, and possibly useful, to know exactly where that camp the two hikers ran across was. It could help answer questions like how did he get there from when he was last seen, and does there need to be more/different signage, etc.

-BSquared

Nean
05-15-2006, 23:32
Seems like he was almost there- to the side trail, but ended up on the other side of the mountain. I've heard people predicting this would happen ever since ultralight was marketed and became popular. Kinda surprised it hasn't happened more often. Another hiker died a few years ago in bad conditions on the PCT, now that I think about it. Don't know if his gear was a factor though.

Squeaky 2
05-16-2006, 06:13
..........came onto 'Fuller Ridge' which would have been fine if it had of stayed on the western side of the mountain, but 'Fuller Ridge' was just caked in snow on the Northeast side and decided for some reason to follow the footprints that went straight down and got down a couple of hundred feet no change in the montain it went straight down, so I looked at the maps again , again no visual reference because of poor visability, looked at maps and saw I was heading down North face of 'San Jacinto' so decided to turn straight around headed back up and studied maps some more and decided if I was on 'Fuller Ridge' to follow the ridge line as far as possibe and lucky enough someone else had been in that direction which was helpful in a lot of areas cause I didn't have any crampons, kept checking the baring off the footprints and kept heading Northwesterly, sure enough came to fire service road and met up with the couple whose footprints I had been following and shook their hands and thanked them pretty much for getting me through 'Fuller Ridge'.............

this is part of my journal entry for the 9th of may 2005. those footprints went straight down. its around the time when Donovan went missing. i have the worst feeling thinking they could be Donovans. they only went down. and they were not fresh enough to be made on the 9th, but no older than a few days.

visibility was very poor but i am sure the footprints went down from the start of fuller ridge

TOW
05-17-2006, 13:08
wow, i sure do hope they find his remains............was there a road near there???????

Ridge
06-05-2006, 00:11
http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060604/UPDATE/606040367