PDA

View Full Version : Newer Service Providers on the AT??

Lybarger
12-17-2012, 17:05
I hiked the AT in 1998 and now trying to piece together sections to eventually complete another hike from GA to ME.

I asked this question last year before a long section hike and got several great suggestions. Now planning another long section and thought this question would be a great asset to other planners here at Whiteblaze.

So, again I ask what service providers have come along in the last few years up and down the Appalachian Trail who are well worth the visit? This can include hostels, shuttlers, outfitters, really anyone who goes above and beyond what you might expect.

Seatbelt
12-17-2012, 17:35
Mountain Harbor on 19E Roan Mtn. Hostel (clean) shuttles, eupply, etc.

mrcoffeect
12-18-2012, 10:32
Black bear resort near Hampton TN. opened this year for hikers I loved it.its 3/4mile east of the trail when you cross Denis Cove rd. Good resupply, and the new owners are awsome. They did everything they could to make sure I enjoyed my stay, they even let me take their coffee maker out of the general store to put in the common room for hikers ,so i had myself a coffee keg party lol.

RED-DOG
12-18-2012, 12:56
The Aquonehostel in NC its pretty close to the N.O.C i have visited it and its agreat place i highly recommend it and they do accept mail drops, and a guy named 10-K is doing a shuttle service in Erwin i have never met him but he seems to be an alright person here on WB, In the last couple of years there seems to be a spike in hostel openings in the southern AT but from PA north there seems to be nothing new going on in the last few years. RED-DOG

Jeff
12-19-2012, 10:19
In the last couple of years there seems to be a spike in hostel openings in the southern AT but from PA north there seems to be nothing new going on in the last few years. RED-DOG

In the north, White Mountain Lodge and Hostel near Gorham, NH has had great reviews these past 3 years. Last season Bearded Woods Bunk and Dine opened near Salisbury, CT and has also had great comments from hikers. It's expensive but includes breakfast and dinner.

Lybarger
12-22-2012, 16:25
Mountain Harbor on 19E Roan Mtn. Hostel (clean) shuttles, eupply, etc.

Is Mary still making that killer breakfast???

mrcoffeect
12-27-2012, 11:21
Is Mary still making that killer breakfast???
:)
Yes she was this year. Man what a spread for breakfast. I anin't never seen nothing like that before. It gave me sensory overload, I almost broke down and cried.

turtle fast
12-27-2012, 11:25
She makes the best tomato pie ever...