PDA

View Full Version : What is the best mac and cheese brand for the trail?

kattt
12-17-2012, 17:44
I've been experimenting with the micowavable Easy Mac on my alcohol stove and not really happy with the results. The regular size box would make too much in quantity, take too long, and be generally yucky without milk and butter, wouldn't it?

kattt

Slo-go'en
12-17-2012, 18:05
Korr's Cheesy pasta with brockely or bacon bits. Don't forget to add a packet of tuna!

That might seem like too much now, but be on the trail for a few weeks and it ain't nearly enough!

atmilkman
12-17-2012, 18:36
Any of the no cook kind. The freeze-dried brands that you just add water to that cook in their own pouch. Just add boiling water, close it up, do something else like set up the tent or hang the hammock or whatever, eat, rinse, bag it up, done.

chip2012
12-17-2012, 18:59
A lot of the dollar general stores sale a squeeze cheese for a dollar that goes well with noodles of your choice. It's also good with tuna and other things.

RodentWhisperer
12-17-2012, 19:12
This looks weird, I'll admit... but I like a coarse polenta with sun-dried tomatoes, a little pizza seasoning, and grated Parmasano-Reggiano.

When it comes to the mac n' cheese affair, I got over it a while ago. :D

Dogwood
12-17-2012, 21:03
What is the best mac and cheese brand for the trail?

Ummm, is this a technical question? LOL Smiley Face. Or just because you are trying to make me hungry? Or just because you wish to push the stock price of your favorite mac n chesse brand?

Mele Kelikmaka.

Don H
12-17-2012, 21:11
Well it ain't gonna be like home cookin' !
I've had luck with the Knorrs Cheese Pasta but only ever made them with water.

handlebar
12-17-2012, 21:59
I go with Kraft, the Cheeziest brand. Cook it up in about 2-1/2 cups of water with several teaspoon of olive oil. For an extra yummy trail main dish, add a Spam Single cubed. When the noodles are tender no need to drain out those extra starch calories just stir in some dried milk and the cheese packet. Bon apetit!

Don't worry, when your hiker hunger kicks in you'll have no trouble downing the whole thing. I usually eat dessert, one of those extra large Cadbury's Royal Dark chocolate bars, while dinner is cooking on my alcohol stove.

coolness
12-17-2012, 22:18
The polenta sounds tasty!!

coolness
12-17-2012, 22:20
The Coleman Max Patch Mac and Cheese is tasty......

Siestita
12-17-2012, 22:54
+1 for Handlebar's technique above.

Powdered milk varies. Nestle's NIDO's brand of instant whole powered milk is sold at ethnic (Mexican) stores, and in the 'Hispanic Section' of some the large grocery stores, such as Krogers and Walmart. NIDO packs more calories and is much tastier than regular "instant non-fat powdered milk". Removing all the fat from 'American style' powdered milk produces only one 'virtue'; it enables people to experience the product's (insipid) taste unaltered after many more months of storage. NIDO, in contrast, may not outlast a thru hike, but in the meantime is very tasty.

When I make Mac and Cheese or Knorrs Sides that are supposed to be made with milk, I take along some NIDO to add to the pot. I also use a little oil, typically olive oil. The oil improves the taste and raises the calorie count. I've not yet tried adding single serving slice of Spam to either Knorrs Sides or Mac and Cheese, but have had good luck at times using foil packed tuna, salmon, or chicken.

If by chance during section hikes or other short outings you find that boxes of mac and cheese produce more food than you, hiking solo, care to consume at one setting, consider switching to the Knorr pasta or rice sides. To get enough dinner, but not too much, pay close attention to a dinner's weight. For me, on many nights a 5 to 6 oz. Knorrs Side is quite filling while a 12 oz mac and cheese dinner would be too large.

double d
12-17-2012, 23:05
Kraft Mac and Cheese, once you buy the box (about a buck per box), unload it in a zip lock bag, put the cheese bag in the zip lock and your good to go.

Mountain Mike
12-18-2012, 00:24
After a few weeks on the trail any brand will taste good & there be no leftovers. I personally often take velvita brand & suffer weight penalty for the first day. On trick I leaned is to add a pack of brown mustard for a nice little zing with the powdered stuff. Try shopping at http://www.minimus.biz/ rather than stealing & despite the comercials very few hikers have any Grey Poupon they will lend you.

SCRUB HIKER
12-18-2012, 02:04
Ditto on Velveeta for the first day ... it doesn't need any milk or butter because of the squeeze cheese sauce, which in turn makes the whole thing pretty heavy and not a good dinner to lug around until day 4. I'd never thought of olive oil as a butter/milk substitute before but I'll make a mental note of that for the future. And Siestita, thanks for the specifics on whole powdered milk--I had given that up as a fantasy because all I've ever found in grocery stores is nonfat.

daddytwosticks
12-18-2012, 08:23
The Coleman Max Patch Mac and Cheese is tasty...... Agreed! Squirt a little hot sauce in there and eat up. :)

Hairbear
12-18-2012, 09:29
i tried an experiment the other day for the first time.ive started getting into dehydrating my own food.i know it not going to be for the long haul,as i plan on supply where ever i can,not wanting to comit myself to mail drops,but i dehydrated some newman 4 cheese alfredo sauce that was the best mac and cheese ive had on trail hands down.

FarmerChef
12-18-2012, 10:57
+1 on handlebar's technique. Nido or another full fat powdered milk is a must have if you don't want it to taste funny. Another thing you might consider is using ghee or clarified butter instead of olive oil. I use both on the trail but the clarified butter tastes better in certain applications and has had all the water removed. It is shelf stable so you can put it in a little container and not worry about it.

Another thing I add to the mac and cheese is Kraft Parmesan cheese. It's already dried and adds more cheesy punch to the flavah. I also add dried onions and dried sausage for hamburger helper a la trail. Most delicious. Now if I could just get dehydrated wine...

lukabrazi
12-18-2012, 20:23
I have been able to find the velveeta shells easy mac style containers at sams club. I repackage it and put two containers in a freezer bag for longer trips. For short trips when I'm not worried about space I take two containers and pour them into a single easy mac container and then put a cream cheese lid on. The container actually doesn't way much more than a freezer bag and its insulated.

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2012, 20:35
I have been able to find the velveeta shells easy mac style containers at sams club. I repackage it and put two containers in a freezer bag for longer trips. For short trips when I'm not worried about space I take two containers and pour them into a single easy mac container and then put a cream cheese lid on. The container actually doesn't way much more than a freezer bag and its insulated.

Great post and +1 Mountain Mike - Nice touch.,

Odd Man Out
12-19-2012, 01:20
Can't help with a best brand suggestions. But for additives, I like butter, bacon bits, Parmesan cheese, and paprika.

russb
12-19-2012, 06:58
Another "additive" for boxed M&C is knorr vegetable soup mix. About a quarter pkg per box. Certainly get plenty of salt in that meal!

Portie
02-23-2013, 12:14
Any brand of M&C, even "generic", works. For things to add, try diced ham, reconstituted dried mushrooms, and in cold weather, sliced hot dogs.

Smooth & Wasabi
02-25-2013, 22:11
I can't believe nobody mentioned Annie's mac and cheese. By far my favorite of the boxed. I just wish they still made the shells and cheddar alfredo. For ease of cooking (freezer bag out of the box) you can't beat cheesy coos coos. Not technically a macaroni but it is a pasta.

Another Kevin
02-25-2013, 22:48
Uhm. Macaroni - any sort of small pasta shapes that will cook in 7 min or less will do fine in a cozy. Actual cheese. Powdered milk. EVOO if you need more fat. A little dry mustard. Salt and pepper. Cook the macaroni in a freezer bag, drain most of the cooking water, add the cheese, milk powder and seasonings, let it sit another minute or two and give it another good stir. I like throwing in dehydrated vegetables, and maybe some sort of dry sausage, and some other spices if the sausage is bland.

Hard cheeses travel well - they get slimy and may mold but you can cut the mold off. (Cheese never actually goes bad, it turns to a different variety of cheese. ;) )

Hardly any more difficult than doing it from a box. If you don't think pasta will do well in a freezer bag, get some ramen instead and break it up. (Throw away the flavor packet, it's mostly just salt anyway.)

Coffee
02-25-2013, 23:19
I like Trader Joes Mac and Cheese but I'm still trying to figure out how to make it in my Jetboil Sol Aluminum. It's hard to boil enough water for the noodles and to get it to simmer. I've tried just bringing it to a boil and putting the pot in a cozy but the result it too "al dente" for my tastes. Too bad because I love Mac & Cheese and can easily eat a full box... I have figured out the Knorr Side preparation but those are pretty small ...

NLaeger
02-26-2013, 01:24
Mary Jane's outpost sells a very tasty mac & cheese. I even eat it when I am not on the trial! It comes in single serving sizes as well as a 3lb bulk bag that you can separate out into whatever size serving you want. If you are doing mail drops the bulk would be the best way to go!

bushcraft
02-26-2013, 10:35
Mountain House makes some decent mac and cheese for the trail

Feral Bill
02-26-2013, 11:52
Kraft. The kind with the foil packet of cheese glop.