PDA

View Full Version : Loop Road transportation/Big Cypress hiking advice

Martin12
12-17-2012, 17:52
I'm scheduled to fly from Reno to Ft. Lauderdale Jan. 8th and hope to begin thru-hiking the FT the following day. Can anyone give me advice on getting transportation to the Loop Road trailhead? I called the number listed for Alligator Express on the FTA materials and was told they provide no service to the Oasis Ranger Station and did not know anyone that did. The trail angel list provided by the FTA did not list any for the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. Am I going to either have to hitch-hike or utilize a taxi (presuming a taxi would even go to Loop Road)?

Also, I'm somewhat apprehensive about hiking Big Cypress alone, being unfamiliar with alligators, swamp hiking, etc. Is the trail well-blazed through the swamp? What's the water level like this year? What's the biggest potential danger in going through the swamp? If there's anyone out there that'd like to hike with me through the swamp, I'd love to have you!

I'm about to send a similar email to the Big Cypress and Happy Hoofers FTA chapters. I signed up for the Florida Trail email list, but the site appears to currently be inoperative. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

pafarmboy
12-17-2012, 20:27
I acquired a shuttle through contacting the chapters you did. On such short notice, you might be hard pressed. I emailed them months before my hike. As far as I know on January 2nd the new Southern Terminus is going to be the Oasis Visitor Center . It'll be easier to get someone to take you there. I can't imagine anyone trying to hitch to the terminus. It's 80 miles from Fort Lauderdale airport. When I was unsure of my shuttle, I contacted a limo service to price check. They'd go to Loop Road, but for $330 bucks (tip included), so it's doable if you get desperate. Chuck Norris regularly takes a group of thru-hikers and leaves around the first of the year. You might get lucky and be flying in around their departure date. Google him and the Florida Trail and I'm sure something will pop up for more info.

As far as the swamp stomp....alligators are a minor nuisance in the swamp. Humans are always the biggest concern on any hike, IMO. Among wildlife in Florida.....Ticks and chiggers are the top PITA, especially those damn chiggers. Ants second, hogs third, snakes 4th, gators 5th, but that's just me based on my tromping in central Florida swamps, never been to Big Cypress.

I'm hiking solo, but carrying a GPS with the FT tracked on it 'til I'm through Big Cypress. It's my safety net if I need it. If all else fails, hike north, you'll hit a road sooner or later. Anyone totally at ease at all times in true wilderness is either delusion or dumb. Being prepared, confident, and 'wilderness cautious' will eliminate 95% of what could go wrong. 'Course the first gator bellow or bobcat scream at night will surely make the hairs stand on end. Makes for better story-telling in the long run anyway. Good luck.

WingedMonkey
12-17-2012, 21:10
Anyone totally at ease at all times in true wilderness is either delusion or dumb.

Or a native.

:sun

bamboo bob
12-17-2012, 21:33
I've done big cypress twice but both times got rides to loop road from friends. You'll be lucky to see a gator except at the Ranger Station. It's cold, the critters just want to sit in the sun.

Martin12
12-18-2012, 13:57
Thanks for the advice. A hiker in this forum has advised he should be able to shuttle me to the trailhead, so that issue thankfully appears to be resolved. I was unaware of the change of the Southern Terminus - called the FTA, who said that as far as the person I was talking with knew, one could consider themselves as having completed the thru-hike, whether starting from Oasis or Loop Road. In that I am flying back on February 25th, I may start from Oasis to give myself a slightly better chance of completion. As is, I will need to average 24-25 miles a day, without any zero's. Although I consider myself a fairly strong hiker, I'm not sure whether this is going to be doable. Anyway, I'll get as far as I can.

I'm feeling better about hiking solo. I guess what got me worried was the statement on the map that the FTA strongly discouraged anyone hiking this section alone. I did email Chuck Norris a couple of days ago about linking up with his group, but haven't received a reply.

WingedMonkey
12-18-2012, 16:12
It's cold, the critters just want to sit in the sun.

Everybody needs a little Florida sun.
:sun

elvisandedgar
12-20-2012, 01:32
Thanks for the advice. A hiker in this forum has advised he should be able to shuttle me to the trailhead, so that issue thankfully appears to be resolved. I was unaware of the change of the Southern Terminus - called the FTA, who said that as far as the person I was talking with knew, one could consider themselves as having completed the thru-hike, whether starting from Oasis or Loop Road. In that I am flying back on February 25th, I may start from Oasis to give myself a slightly better chance of completion. As is, I will need to average 24-25 miles a day, without any zero's. Although I consider myself a fairly strong hiker, I'm not sure whether this is going to be doable. Anyway, I'll get as far as I can.

I'm feeling better about hiking solo. I guess what got me worried was the statement on the map that the FTA strongly discouraged anyone hiking this section alone. I did email Chuck Norris a couple of days ago about linking up with his group, but haven't received a reply.

When you get up to Central Florida if you need a ride I live near Bull Creek and can give you lift in to town for a resupply. I have done the section through Big Cypress a few years ago. It was a great hike. Very demanding on the last half thru the muck. If interested I can send you my phone number and give me a call if needed. I am about 25 miles from Bull Creek. Good luck. Dennis

Johnny Thunder
12-20-2012, 10:49
hey man. i'll be starting the night of the 5th...so really the 6th. need to average about 18 miles a day to make it to pennsacola in the first week of march. catch up!

elvisandedgar
12-20-2012, 14:09
Just wanted to let both Martin 12 and Johnny Thunder or anyone else doing a thru hike I am willing to do a resupply run or if you don't want to do the long road walk from 192 at Bull Creek to 528 at Tosahatchee. Even if you just want someone to give your gear a ride while you do the road walk let me know. I might even come out and hike a little with you. A good site for info on Central Florida section is http://www.outintheboonies.com/. It is ran by a member of our local FTA chapter. We just had a baby so my hiking season is not going to be real active, but any reason to get out for a while is a good reason. Happy hiking and Happy Holidays everyone.