PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a 72 pound dog happy when Hammocking... Suggestions Please

Wise Old Owl
12-17-2012, 21:14
Well you can appreciate this ... I am looking for a system that dogs love to keep warm - I saw REI's Doggie booties and a few other items... Here is my thought, Put some fleece booties on, Get a half Down blanket with a few tye outs and a Fleece covered air pad ... I have already started training. I need something for 32 and below.

Yea I thought of the campfire... nevermind....I am looking for your best ideas.... He loves to hike he did well on the last hang a month ago and it got seriously cold beyond the forcast. I took care of him.

Starchild
12-17-2012, 21:23
Dogs can be very happy when left home.

canoe
12-17-2012, 21:36
and here we go

canoe
12-17-2012, 21:38
does nt carl let his dog up in the hammock with him. I thought I read something like that from him.

Wise Old Owl
12-17-2012, 21:38
Dogs can be very happy when left home.
SC are you part of the problem or the solution?

Wise Old Owl
12-17-2012, 21:40
Yea but me at 225 with a 70+ dog exceeds the hammock values. Not to mention he would be happy - I would feel like we were in a trunk together.

canoe
12-17-2012, 21:43
Yea but me at 225 with a 70+ dog exceeds the hammock values. Not to mention he would be happy - I would feel like we were in a trunk together. LOL But you will be warmer. I never have hung before. How much weight can a hammock hold... I am kind of a big boy

JAK
12-17-2012, 21:44
Dogs are pretty tough in the cold, but some dogs better than others and some conditions are colder than others. Like us, first priority is shelter from rain/sleet/snow and second is insulation from the ground and third is shelter from wind. When moving they are probably fine, but when not moving that I think is where you need to focus your energy. As an afterthought, I would say a wool or fleece blanket.

yellowsirocco
12-17-2012, 21:47
I would go to ground. I mean the dog will be much happier sleeping by your side and he will give some extra warmth when cuddled up with you.

yellowsirocco
12-17-2012, 21:48
And I say that as a hammocker myself.

Wise Old Owl
12-17-2012, 21:55
And I say that as a hammocker myself.

Ok I really do not disagree - but I am over 50 and I snore - I can keep bears at bay... I have had three operations on my throat and nasal area... and on the ground is serious.... in a hammock not so bad... I think I laid this out well for the dog forum....

HikerMom58
12-17-2012, 21:56
But if you don't want to do that ^.... get a Dog Haus- Dog tent. It folds up like an umbrella, I've heard. If you have a pack for ur dog to carry it's own food and water you could prob. manage carrying the tent. :)

Wise Old Owl
12-17-2012, 22:01
Oh wait - he is under the tarp of the HH! he don't need a tent. - I got it covered..

HikerMom58
12-17-2012, 22:06
Yay... we helped you out then. No tent- just a "place" 2 train, stay on. Maybe a down "sleeping shirt" and a "ground cloth" for the "place". :)

Wise Old Owl
12-17-2012, 22:10
There ya go - yes... that kind of idea.. +1

Train Wreck
12-17-2012, 22:16
Dogs are pretty tough in the cold, but some dogs better than others and some conditions are colder than others. Like us, first priority is shelter from rain/sleet/snow and second is insulation from the ground and third is shelter from wind. When moving they are probably fine, but when not moving that I think is where you need to focus your energy. As an afterthought, I would say a wool or fleece blanket.

A fleece blanket is great, but below 32 it is not enough. He has tried that. That's not a lot of insulation from the cold, & most likely frozen, ground. Try standing on frozen ground in fleece or wool socks yourself & see if your feet don't get a little frosty :)

HikerMom58
12-17-2012, 22:19
I might be able to make you a "down shirt" for ur pup out of a down comforter that my brother just told me about... he wants to get rid of it. I was thinking I could make a down sleeping bag for that Jack Russell 2... TW, might remember whoooo needed a sleeping bag for their dog. :)

Wise Old Owl
12-17-2012, 22:27
I agree a shirt for a large dog is a bit small - but I appreciate it- thanks.

kayak karl
12-17-2012, 22:37
Kaia, a 75# lab, sleeps in the hammock with me in the winter. when it hits 50 its too warm and she sleeps on her poncho liner.
my hammock is a 1.9 coated nylon 12' long. it weights about 24 oz with suspension, but i'm fine with that. i carry her gear and food also. i got the a coat at Cabelas last week. blaze orange (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-5mm-Neoprene-Vest-with-Armor-Flex8482-Chest-Protector/732701.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5100002%26 Ne%3D5100002%26No%3D40%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3 Ddog%2Bcoat%2Borange%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpart ial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form _state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search %3Ddog%2Bcoat%2Borange%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllP roducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=dog+coat+orange&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products). she seems to like it.
not that cold in jersey, but we still listen to "it ain't easy" on mp3 player :)

HikerMom58
12-17-2012, 22:38
Well, it's not really a shirt... it's too hard to explain what I'm talking about by typing... I'll ask my dog friends what they would recommend to keep a bigger dog (we have small dogs) warm that he/she can wear + you would def need a fleece blanket. .... as far as what to put on the ground... you would need an insulated pad of some kind.

Train Wreck
12-17-2012, 22:39
I might be able to make you a "down shirt" for ur pup out of a down comforter that my brother just told me about... he wants to get rid of it. I was thinking I could make a down sleeping bag for that Jack Russell 2... TW, might remember whoooo needed a sleeping bag for their dog. :)

His nickname is saltysack

HikerMom58
12-17-2012, 22:40
A coat would work... KK... is the one you just bought for ur dog a down coat?

Train Wreck
12-17-2012, 22:42
Kaia, a 75# lab, sleeps in the hammock with me in the winter. when it hits 50 its too warm and she sleeps on her poncho liner.
my hammock is a 1.9 coated nylon 12' long. it weights about 24 oz with suspension, but i'm fine with that. i carry her gear and food also. i got the a coat at Cabelas last week. blaze orange (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-5mm-Neoprene-Vest-with-Armor-Flex8482-Chest-Protector/732701.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5100002%26 Ne%3D5100002%26No%3D40%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3 Ddog%2Bcoat%2Borange%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpart ial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form _state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search %3Ddog%2Bcoat%2Borange%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllP roducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=dog+coat+orange&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products). she seems to like it.
not that cold in jersey, but we still listen to "it ain't easy" on mp3 player :)

I bet she adds at least 20 degrees to your comfort rating!

HikerMom58
12-17-2012, 22:44
His nickname is saltysack

Thanks TW... I found the thread. :)

4Bears
12-17-2012, 22:54
WOO if the hound lives outside he will be more adaptable to spartan conditions, now that being said, heat loss from wind is the biggest thing. A simple tarp shelter will help that. Getting him off the ground with a CCF pad would be the lightest, IMHO, sized to the shelter tubbed up about 6 inches would protect from ground drafts. A generous fleece to nest up in, along with a diet high in fat (take some bacon greese to melt and pour over his food) and protien should complete the equation. Dogs can generate a lot of heat for sleeping warmth as long as their diet supports. Go out on a close to home over night if he is really shivering hard in the morning and breakfast doesn't make a huge difference you can get home and warm quick. Hope this helps.

Wise Old Owl
12-17-2012, 23:02
Thanks 4bears - good idea's my best guess is a now a fleece with a down topper.

4Bears
12-17-2012, 23:30
Your most welcome. The fleece over coat would be the most durable and warm even when damp and the hound dry it fast in the tent.

Thirsty DPD
12-17-2012, 23:37
Woo, are you sure you want to use down. Some dogs want to find the duck hiding in their blanket and will make quick work of it, besides wet down is ineffective. I use a synthetic loft children nylon sleeping bags from Salvation Army for a couple of bucks, & a half of a ThermoRest pad; but we tent. Unzip the bag halfway, and the dog fixes it up just right. HM might be right about the pup tent. Being on the ground, the dog is more apt to realize the effects of winter wind & moisture. How about a wind block made from an old poncho? Just some thoughts......

Thirsty DPD
12-17-2012, 23:54
One more thought; Woo, a owl knows only to well the insulation principle of down, "puffing up". I believe a dogs natural coat functions similar, it's undercoat is its down. If compressed, let's say by a jacket, its natural coat is compressed & compromised somewhat. While hiking I don't see the advantage of them wearing a coat, just like when we make camp & need additional layers, then so will they.

bigcranky
12-18-2012, 07:48
A CCF pad on the ground will make a huge difference. Possibly enough so that a fleece blanket and some sort of wind block would suffice.

MDSection12
12-18-2012, 09:13
It really depends on the type of coat your dog has I think. My dog has very short, wirey fur and he really can't go with me in even mild temperatures. I give him a ground pad and wrap him up in my coat but he still gets cold, and eventually restless and kicks everything off of him... Then wakes me up with his whining and shivering. I stopped taking him. If your dog has an undercoat (mine does not) then that significantly increases his ability to tolerate cold, and I'd think a CCF ground pad and some fleece or down would be fine... But pay attention the first few times because if he gets restless and kicks that stuff off he can be seriously uncomfortable possibly without you noticing.

With the right dog I don't see why half of a CCF pad and some of your extra cloathing wouldn't be plenty... But there are some dogs who just cannot hack it. Unfortunately mine is one of those. :(

Starchild
12-18-2012, 09:43
SC are you part of the problem or the solution?

OK you got me with that, my apologizes.

Peace

Hairbear
12-18-2012, 10:00
try this if ultra light is your goal.cut a piece of tyvec the size needed for your aplication.make two tri pods of branches bound with something at the top.put a branch or zing it ridge line between the tripods.drape the tyvek over the structure,make sure you left it long enough to be a floor mat and walls.put a pile of leaves inside with you sit pad on top,cover the wind end with something you have with you ,coat pack or what ever.you could also just cover one tri pod with your poncho,using the flap as a door with same insulation mentioned above.

Hairbear
12-18-2012, 10:06
if poncho is your option ,put something on top of the three limbs tied together ,now you can sit on the top and the dog can get in the bottom.route the poncho around the protruding limbs on top not on, or holes will ruin your morning.also your fire will heat up the dog house area by radiating heat through the poncho walls.

The Solemates
12-18-2012, 13:06
Well you can appreciate this ... I am looking for a system that dogs love to keep warm - I saw REI's Doggie booties and a few other items... Here is my thought, Put some fleece booties on, Get a half Down blanket with a few tye outs and a Fleece covered air pad ... I have already started training. I need something for 32 and below.

Yea I thought of the campfire... nevermind....I am looking for your best ideas.... He loves to hike he did well on the last hang a month ago and it got seriously cold beyond the forcast. I took care of him.

I found this funny. I've never owned dogs that I think would keep down booties or any other kind of clothing or blanket on....but then again I've never trained them to do so. I've always owned large outside hounds. They get accustomed to the cold (and the hot during the summer). Generally I put a small foam pad in their pack for them to lay on at night. and I dont even bring this unless its 35 or below. otherwise they just sleep on the ground. Other than that....thats all (my) dogs need....and they always seem happy. I havent hiked too much with them in the snow though.

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2012, 16:08
This was in response to making the dog more comfortable, and he is covered in more hair than imaginable.- We have tried on a prior short test backpack trip ( not AT) and when the temps got to 31 degrees he was whimpering - and limping because the ground was cold, he had blankets top and bottom on a foot print but in spite of training "go to bed" he kept jumping off it and laying on the ground or the leader would tangle around the Hammock tarp stakes - and all this started about 3AM - So I bugged out, back to the car. Rugby has been kept indoors, hence the reason to find out what others are doing. He likes to go, he begs to go.. and yes he may be left at home if future backyard tests fail. I am looking into getting the warm booties and taking a layered approach after the holidays.

KK I am not apposed to your Idea - but I am going to try that at home first. Going to trim the nails first.

Oh The trip was planned at 35 and above.... they were wrong.

kayak karl
12-18-2012, 17:41
one other thing is i hang 12" off ground. when its just cool and she sleeps on the ground she can lift her head and know im still there. i only use DIY hammocks with her. never my HH hammocks:) i don't mind damaging a $25 one.

1azarus
12-18-2012, 17:43
I wish you had told us your dog's name was Rugby earlier. That's a whole other matter. Your dog won't be happy unless in a scrum.

Thirsty DPD
12-18-2012, 17:46
I wish you had told us your dog's name was Rugby earlier. That's a whole other matter. Your dog won't be happy unless in a scrum.

Hook of the scrum.

max patch
12-18-2012, 18:14
Would seem to me that if you are going to take a house pet hiking you owe it to the pet to use a tent. To do otherwise is not fair to the animal.

kayak karl
12-18-2012, 18:28
Would seem to me that if you are going to take a house pet hiking you owe it to the pet to use a tent. To do otherwise is not fair to the animal. i can see if your clueless about hammocking you would thing this. you do know a winter hammock tarps come to the ground??

max patch
12-18-2012, 18:45
I've apparently never seen a winter hammock so if that means I'm clueless so be it. So a winter hammock is like a tent down below which is what I said the OP should use.

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2012, 20:50
Would seem to me that if you are going to take a house pet hiking you owe it to the pet to use a tent. To do otherwise is not fair to the animal.

Well we are here to work this out... I am not against that. However the last time I did that it was a round tent and in the dead of summer he decided at 3 am to hike circles around me!

I've apparently never seen a winter hammock so if that means I'm clueless so be it. So a winter hammock is like a tent down below which is what I said the OP should use.

Here is Stormcrow's Winter Hammock taken this year in February - 28Degrees.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/1/1/1/hammock_003a.jpg

msupple
12-19-2012, 22:36
I also think it has much to do with what type of dog you have. My friend, a hammocker, takes his dog winter camping but the dog is some sort of Huskie mix...pretty well built for the cold. My friend usually brings a shorty thermarest and some sort of fleece blanket. He sets this right along side the hammock so he can reach out and adjust things and give him a touch if needed. I've also seen him bring one of those padded round doggy beds when winter car camping. I'm not sure how heavy they are but I don't think it would be too difficult to strap one to your pack.

I have seen the dog with him in the hammock but that hasn't worked so well. If it were me I wouldn't want any dog in my hammock for fear of ripping the hammock bed with it's claws. Then you'd both be sleeping on the ground.

Good luck, Cat in the Hat

bear bag hanger
12-21-2012, 12:52
I met some friends on the AT in 2004. At first, they brought their dog along and as far as they could tell, the dog enjoyed the hike. But they came to a park where dogs weren't allowed, so sent him home to one of their relatives for the week or so it would take to get through the park. Afterwards, they went home to pick the dog up, but the dog ran under the bed and wouldn't come out until they left!

Wise Old Owl
12-22-2012, 04:23
I also think it has much to do with what type of dog you have. My friend, a hammocker, takes his dog winter camping but the dog is some sort of Huskie mix...pretty well built for the cold. My friend usually brings a shorty thermarest and some sort of fleece blanket. He sets this right along side the hammock so he can reach out and adjust things and give him a touch if needed. I've also seen him bring one of those padded round doggy beds when winter car camping. I'm not sure how heavy they are but I don't think it would be too difficult to strap one to your pack.

I have seen the dog with him in the hammock but that hasn't worked so well. If it were me I wouldn't want any dog in my hammock for fear of ripping the hammock bed with it's claws. Then you'd both be sleeping on the ground.

Good luck, Cat in the Hat

thats cool thanks...