PDA

View Full Version : book on Wind River Range

Chicken Feathers
12-18-2012, 00:01
Can someone recommend a book on Wind River That you thought was good:-?

T.S.Kobzol
12-18-2012, 00:21
I bought 2 books on wind river and both.were.a.waste of money. Best was a good map. Wind will come in two maps (south and north). Reading the map is the best thing and then maybe googling some spots you.see on the map

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Mags
12-18-2012, 01:11
Beyond Trails by Nancy Palister.
http://www.mcreynoldscpa.com/BeyondTrails

The book includes a CD with topo maps you can print out.

The map TS is making reference to is (I believe) the Earthwalk Press series of maps. Good for general navigation, but I think you'll want more detailed maps for any off-trail travel in The Winds IMHO

Nean
12-18-2012, 04:04
My favorite range probably anywhere. I'm in no shape to remember the guys name at the moment but he stocked a lot of the lakes w/ trout way back when and wrote a great guide book.

Mags
12-18-2012, 10:37
My favorite range probably anywhere. I'm in no shape to remember the guys name at the moment but he stocked a lot of the lakes w/ trout way back when and wrote a great guide book.

My favorite range was well. Simply incredible.

Alleghanian Orogeny
12-18-2012, 12:00
.........I entered the Winds from the Dubois side with a group of 8 guys, all in our early 20s except our geology professor, who would have been in his late 30s/early 40s by then. We had with us a plethora of geologic maps and guidebook information and the backpacking trip, intended to reach Gannett Peak, was laid out in some backpacking guidebook or another which was available at that time in 1976.

Trouble was present from the start: We drove straight-through +50 hours from Boone, NC (remember the 55 mph national speed limit then). Topped off supplies/gear in Lander, partied in Dubois that evening, then camped out at the trailhead. Next day, without acclimation, we departed the trailhead, which I recall was around 7,000', headed for the lakes at the opposite side of Goat Flat. Not terribly far, but steep uphill to reach a pass before the Goat Flat at around 10,000'. Never got there that day. Most of us were lugging 50+ lbs in old-style external frame packs since we were planning on and did spend 7 nights in the backcountry. Had to stop after an hour and jettison some weight which the guy who drew the short straw had to schlep back to the van. Got another 3-4 miles up to the last water source before the pass and decided to bivouac. We were all fouled up from altitude and dehydration. Yes, we should have passed on the beer in Dubois the night before. We did make it to the lakes opposite Goat Flat by noon the next day, but by then our plan with respect to Gannett was in jeapordy. The weather got foul for two days so we had to abandon that part of the trip, but we did pack into the stream drainage at the northern foot of Gannett, so we ultimately reached a point around 25 miles in. Despite all the difficulties, we had a blast and it remains the pinnacle of my brief backpacking career.

A year or two later some of the same group entered from the Pinedale (south) side and enjoyed a much longer but gentle gradient approach to Gannett.

AO

Black Viper
12-18-2012, 13:26

Nean is probably thinking of the book by Finis Mitchell--a classic and still available for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Wind-River-Trails-Finis-Mitchell/dp/0874806267

Nean
12-18-2012, 15:31
Nean is probably thinking of the book by Finis Mitchell--a classic and still available for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Wind-River-Trails-Finis-Mitchell/dp/0874806267

Thats the one!

ParkRat09
12-22-2012, 22:41
Oh what a great mountain range! Took my NOLS course there and it was incredible!!!