PDA

View Full Version : Here is my initial pack list Let me know what your thoughts are!!!!!

TheBigHiker
12-18-2012, 02:01
Thanks to everyone who responds!!
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=54ED150F3E6A46F!272&authkey=!AGbhH926K7jKxDI

total initial weight 29 lbs with 4 days of food and 2 liters of water.

George
12-18-2012, 03:47
skip the gaitors/ cards

for earlier than april I would want a warmer bag- or insulated clothing to help out

stumpknocker
12-18-2012, 06:40
A few suggestions.....

I tried the Patagonia Capilene but wore holes in them by the end of one thru hike. I have been using REI's equivalent brand to Patagonia Capilene for years now and it holds up much better for less money.

Not sure what the heavy compression sack is for. Things stuff nice and compact if your pack isn't too big and a too small pack is a pain to pack anyway. I don't know what size that ULA is, but their larger one works great for me packing for winter with extra stuff, but is much too large for the other three seasons. I use their smaller one then.

For me Moleskin is useless. Duct tape works much better. Feel a hotspot, stop and cover it with duct tape. Too many people wait too long and end up with feet that look like hamburger.

I had to look up what a "toque" was. I have one and didn't know it was called that. :) Those are priceless for sleeping warm on cold nights or walking in really cold and windy weather. For me, it's very important that mine is windproof. I personally would never use a sombrero on the AT.

I didn't see a rain/wind jacket or a headlamp listed.

A trash compactor bag/garbage bag for a pack liner is a very important part of my gear. You might want a lightweight pack cover also.

I always carry a small floss, small tooth paste and medium toothbrush. Didn't see any of that on your list.

Hope this helps a little. :)

TheBigHiker
12-18-2012, 11:58
A few suggestions.....

I tried the Patagonia Capilene but wore holes in them by the end of one thru hike. I have been using REI's equivalent brand to Patagonia Capilene for years now and it holds up much better for less money.

Not sure what the heavy compression sack is for. Things stuff nice and compact if your pack isn't too big and a too small pack is a pain to pack anyway. I don't know what size that ULA is, but their larger one works great for me packing for winter with extra stuff, but is much too large for the other three seasons. I use their smaller one then.

For me Moleskin is useless. Duct tape works much better. Feel a hotspot, stop and cover it with duct tape. Too many people wait too long and end up with feet that look like hamburger.

I had to look up what a "toque" was. I have one and didn't know it was called that. :) Those are priceless for sleeping warm on cold nights or walking in really cold and windy weather. For me, it's very important that mine is windproof. I personally would never use a sombrero on the AT.

I didn't see a rain/wind jacket or a headlamp listed.

A trash compactor bag/garbage bag for a pack liner is a very important part of my gear. You might want a lightweight pack cover also.

I always carry a small floss, small tooth paste and medium toothbrush. Didn't see any of that on your list.

Hope this helps a little. :)

Yep it does. I realized that I forgot those items when I went to bed last night. I'm using the ULA circuit, which is a 65 liter pack, so it's pretty big but compresses nicely. I wondered about the capilene stuff. I'll check out the REI stuff! thanks.

TheBigHiker
12-18-2012, 12:01
skip the gaitors/ cards

for earlier than april I would want a warmer bag- or insulated clothing to help out

I'm trying to figure out the bag situation. I sleep really warm so I think I'll be good. I am looking at a slightly warmer and lighter bag from Mountain Hardware though. The cards are a total luxury item I admit. I'll probably go without them to start and maybe pick some up along the way if I feel it's necessary. The gaiters though... the way I walk I kick up mud and rocks and it always ends up in the back of my boots, which causes blistering and wears down my socks. This is the only thing I can think of to combat this.

TheBigHiker
12-18-2012, 12:12
Stumpknocker I have this jacket, REI Kimtah Rain Jacket.
George any recommendations for insulated clothing? I planned to bring something like a or warm shirt to put under my rain coat, which gives face protection and is very wind proof.

jeffmeh
12-18-2012, 14:19
When are you starting? NOBO or SOBO? Insulation requirements will vary based upon timing and latitude.

MuddyWaters
12-18-2012, 14:48
Get a lighter cord, 50 ft spectra from Lawson, Zpacks, MLD, etc only has to weigh 1.2 oz or so for $15.
you wont need the knife. get something under 1oz, even a single razor blade at .1oz works fine for what you will actually use it for. It weighs 1/4 lb!!!
Forget about a spork. Just get a spoon. A spork sucks at both uses.
You do not need a compression sack that weighs 4.5oz.
You do not need a compression sack that weighs 4.5 oz.
med kit has no meds. Ibuprofen, tylenol, loperamide, benadryl, ducttape, needle, unwaxed dental floss, alcohol prep pads, neosporin, a few bandaids. etc are what you need.
take only a couple pages from the guide at a time, bounce the rest forward to yourself. I copy them front/back on paper to keep my guide in one piece.
you are bringing a smartphone, suggest you journal on it and not tote another 1/4 lb item.
You dont seem to have any insulating clothing or rain gear
Just bring a couple of water bottles or powerade bottles. Platypus are floppy and annoying, best used for extra water in large sizes, which you wont need.

TheBigHiker
12-18-2012, 15:52
When are you starting? NOBO or SOBO? Insulation requirements will vary based upon timing and latitude.

NOBO... March 22nd start date.

TheBigHiker
12-18-2012, 16:08
Get a lighter cord, 50 ft spectra from Lawson, Zpacks, MLD, etc only has to weigh 1.2 oz or so for $15.
you wont need the knife. get something under 1oz, even a single razor blade at .1oz works fine for what you will actually use it for. It weighs 1/4 lb!!!
Forget about a spork. Just get a spoon. A spork sucks at both uses.
You do not need a compression sack that weighs 4.5oz.
You do not need a compression sack that weighs 4.5 oz.
med kit has no meds. Ibuprofen, tylenol, loperamide, benadryl, ducttape, needle, unwaxed dental floss, alcohol prep pads, neosporin, a few bandaids. etc are what you need.
take only a couple pages from the guide at a time, bounce the rest forward to yourself. I copy them front/back on paper to keep my guide in one piece.
you are bringing a smartphone, suggest you journal on it and not tote another 1/4 lb item.
You dont seem to have any insulating clothing or rain gear
Just bring a couple of water bottles or powerade bottles. Platypus are floppy and annoying, best used for extra water in large sizes, which you wont need.

-Ok on the rope
-I'm thinking of not using the comp sack and changing bags
-I realized that this morning on the med kit... will bring toothpast, floss, wipes, neosporin, allergy meds, and ibuprofen, and bandaids
-I was wondering about the journal and the guide I was thinking of ripping pages out as I go... I really like reading stuff like this so that's the reason why I was thinking of keeping the whole book.
-rain gear... boots are waterproof, gaiters for the beginning and possibly end of trail, Kimtah Jacket, which I forgot to put on the list... ugh
-insulation- beyond a warm hiking shirt... not sure what I need... capilene style pants or something?
-will ad other stuff to total...

Hosaphone
12-18-2012, 23:40
Stumpknocker I have this jacket, REI Kimtah Rain Jacket.

Too heavy and expensive, imo. Driducks weigh 1/3 as much, cost 1/10th as much, and will get the job done just as well. You can use that money more efficiently.

trapper
12-18-2012, 23:54
just get a packa and be done with the rain gear...some like them....some don't...its one of my favorite pieces of gear, a well spent $100...if you don't like it it carries a 2200 mile warranty

Hosaphone
12-18-2012, 23:54
Instead of moleskin, look into Leukotape. I haven't used it but have heard it's pretty amazing. I have used Moleskin and it's a nice idea but is just not tough enough to stay in place for hiking when it's wet.

Instead of two 1L platypuses, consider one 1L and one 3L. Or, the system I use is a 1L water bottle and a 3L platy - this allows me to do drink mixes in the water bottle and not worry so much about keeping it clean. You won't "need" 4L capacity on the AT, but it's nice to have for tanking up heading to a dry campsite and stuff like that.

Ditch the compression sack.

Could save a pound on the sleeping bag and another 1+ pounds on the shelter, but they aren't too bad and you already have them, so meh.

Really it's not a bad list. You'll only want to carry around 1L of water most of the time so you can knock 2 pounds off that if it makes you feel better. Also, many people don't list their hiking poles in their "carried" weight as you will be using them most of the time, so you can knock off another ~1lb from the "on your back" weight.

Do some shakedown hikes in the rain. You may discover that rain pants are really nice when it's cold and rainy, which it probably will be when you start.

George
12-19-2012, 02:19
NOBO... March 22nd start date.
for that time of year expedition weight long underwear bottoms and a fleece jacket - send them home after the smokies - get them back for the whites

TheBigHiker
12-19-2012, 15:06
Instead of moleskin, look into Leukotape. I haven't used it but have heard it's pretty amazing. I have used Moleskin and it's a nice idea but is just not tough enough to stay in place for hiking when it's wet.

Instead of two 1L platypuses, consider one 1L and one 3L. Or, the system I use is a 1L water bottle and a 3L platy - this allows me to do drink mixes in the water bottle and not worry so much about keeping it clean. You won't "need" 4L capacity on the AT, but it's nice to have for tanking up heading to a dry campsite and stuff like that.

Ditch the compression sack.

Could save a pound on the sleeping bag and another 1+ pounds on the shelter, but they aren't too bad and you already have them, so meh.

Really it's not a bad list. You'll only want to carry around 1L of water most of the time so you can knock 2 pounds off that if it makes you feel better. Also, many people don't list their hiking poles in their "carried" weight as you will be using them most of the time, so you can knock off another ~1lb from the "on your back" weight.

Do some shakedown hikes in the rain. You may discover that rain pants are really nice when it's cold and rainy, which it probably will be when you start.

I just found a bag that will work for me that's on sale right now and it's 11 ounces lighter. I'm going to pick that up today. I was wondering about a water resistant pant.

TheBigHiker
12-19-2012, 15:06
just get a packa and be done with the rain gear...some like them....some don't...its one of my favorite pieces of gear, a well spent $100...if you don't like it it carries a 2200 mile warranty

I got the Kimtah for half off, which made the price not too bad. I really like this jacket, but I'll check out the others! Thanks!

TheBigHiker
12-19-2012, 15:07
Hey thanks! That's what I was thinking and will look into it.

Odd Man Out
12-19-2012, 15:29
I had to look up what a "toque" was. I have one and didn't know it was called that. :)

http://www.shop.academiabarilla.com/upload/academia-barilla/images/chefs_hat_big_big_ToqueWh.jpg

Not sure they are all that practical for hiking ;-)

Scotto
12-19-2012, 15:51
I know you already own the z poles, but you may want to rethink that choice. I watched two thru hiker You Tube AT series that were using those poles and both had problems ("Family Man" (FM on the AT on You Tube) and Biophthera). Check out this video by Biophthera (13:25 for the z pole rant).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b50qlIcjSTg

Hosaphone
12-19-2012, 16:24
I was wondering about a water resistant pant.

DriDucks cost $20 for the pants+jacket. They don't have any bells and whistles, but they are lighter than just about anything else and get the job done. Same could be said about the jacket...

Buy them and see if you like them, if only for the rain pants. Best case scenario you save hundreds of dollars and pounds of weight vs most commercially available rain jackets/pants. Worst case scenario you're out $20.

TheBigHiker
12-20-2012, 02:40
http://www.shop.academiabarilla.com/upload/academia-barilla/images/chefs_hat_big_big_ToqueWh.jpg

Not sure they are all that practical for hiking ;-)

Hahahahaha.... I suppose this is what I get for being married to a Canadian :)

TheBigHiker
12-20-2012, 02:40
I know you already own the z poles, but you may want to rethink that choice. I watched two thru hiker You Tube AT series that were using those poles and both had problems ("Family Man" (FM on the AT on You Tube) and Biophthera). Check out this video by Biophthera (13:25 for the z pole rant).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b50qlIcjSTg

OK... I'll look into this a bit more. Thanks!

ighwoman
01-02-2013, 22:28
I concur on the Z-pole. I use Ergo Cork BD poles and love them. Consider that even with your late March start date, you may have days that start as cold as 15°F, I am starting 01Mar this year and will carry two pairs of base layers, very light for sleeping and midweight for use during cold days.