PDA

View Full Version : MSR Whisperlite pump-fuel bottle abrasion

zorobabel
12-18-2012, 03:04
I've read at one point that it is not a good idea to remove the coating from the MSR fuel bottles as it exposes the Al to corrosion.
My still new to me Whisperlite stove came with an older pump type - the grey version.
The problem is that the inlet of the pump has a filter on it, made of some hard and abrasive material. And every time I screw the pump in a fuel bottle, it scratches it; scratches are worst with the 11oz bottle. I have the 11oz and the 33oz, both are scratched.
To me it's pretty obvious that MSR didn't care much about this abrasion (or wanted to sell replacement bottles).
Have you had this version of the pump? Was the abrasion an issue or not? What's your take on it?
Thanks.

Slo-go'en
12-18-2012, 03:19
Nothing to worry about. I have 30 year old white fuel bottles which are just plain aluminum - no coatings on them at all - and are still in use. MSR bottles just have a red anodizing on the outside to make them look pretty and to help identify them as fuel bottles. You would not want to get in contact with anything which would corrode aluminum (typically an acid), as it is naturaly a very corrosive resistant metal.

PD230SOI
12-18-2012, 04:11
Same here. Twenty year old bottles, some of the stove is that old.... no problems.

zorobabel
12-18-2012, 18:09
Thanks guys! I won't worry about this "issue" anymore.

The Snowman
12-20-2012, 20:35
never hand a problem with a MSR bottle they will out live you.