PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands parking

NCMedic
12-18-2012, 10:36
So I am planning a multiple day trip in the Grayson Highlands over Christmas. Is there safe parking somewhere close to the trail where I can leave my vehicle and feel reasonably safe it will not be vandalized while I am hiking?

Thanks,

NCmedic.

FarmerChef
12-18-2012, 10:52
I was just down there north of the park and parked my car on the road outside of the Mount Rogers NRA headquarters (since the parking lot was gated and locked). It was fine when I came to return for it. From what I understand parking south of there to Damascus is park at your own risk due to a string of vehicle thefts, at least according to the Trail Updates on the ATC website.

bigcranky
12-18-2012, 11:00
The safest parking is in Grayson Highlands State Park. That also happens to be the closest parking to the high country. It costs a couple of bucks per day.

I would not leave a vehicle at the Fox Creek or Elk Garden trailheads for more than a dayhike. Personal choice, and YMMV, but there have been vehicles broken into and stolen from those locations.

NCMedic
12-18-2012, 11:08
Thanks guys..

Bigcranky, I have hiked around Elk Gardens and have always shuttled from Damascus up to Elk Gardens because of the break ins. I am assuming that if I park in Grayson Highlands Stae Park I will be parking in the Backpackers lot and take the spur trail to the AT? Also where does this relate to where the ponies generally hang out. North or South.

NCmedic

Tipi Walter
12-18-2012, 11:12
The overnight parking lot in the State Park is perfect as it puts you in the crest zone without having to do a lot of hiking to get to Wilburn Ridge, etc. It costs $2 weekdays and $3 weekends. My preferred parking is 30+ miles north on the AT at the Mt Rogers NRA headquarters where I have left my car for two trips, one of 19 days and one of 21 days. They are friendly, the price is right(free) and they gate the parking lot all night. Problem is, it's 30 miles from Mt Rogers which is okay if you don't mind hiking some.

bigcranky
12-18-2012, 12:21
Yes, take the spur from the Backpacker's parking lot to the AT. You can do some great loops from there, or start/end a section hike.

The ponies are in both directions. There is one herd in the state park, another up Wilburn Ridge (sobo from spur trail on AT.) Also more ponies are often found on Stone Mountain (nobo on AT.)

SawnieRobertson
12-18-2012, 13:25
How will you get back to your car?

NCMedic
12-18-2012, 14:02
How will you get back to your car?

I have a feeling that I will not find anyone to hike with..(single with family to far away to be with over Christmas) and finding someone to shuttle me this weekend may be difficult as well, so I am planning a loop or an out or back.

bigcranky
12-18-2012, 14:23
Some great loops in the area, starting and ending at the BPPL. How far do you want to hike?

QiWiz
12-18-2012, 15:20
We have left vehicles for a few bucks/night in the Grindstone Campground, with easy access to the Grayson Highlands AT section and related trails from there. Makes for a very nice 2-night loop of about 25 miles, if memory serves.

NCMedic
12-18-2012, 15:55
Some great loops in the area, starting and ending at the BPPL. How far do you want to hike?

Probably looking at around 40 miles or so.

NCMedic
12-18-2012, 15:56
Thanks QiWiz

bigcranky
12-18-2012, 17:55
Hmm, I think that the section from Fox Creek to Damascus would be around 40 miles. It's a very nice hike, and an easy shuttle from Damascus. There are safe places to park in town, especially if Lone Wolf shuttles you. One of my favorite sections.

The basic loop from GHSP is about 25 miles. You can lengthen it by hiking further south on the AT before cutting over to the Iron Mountain Trail - perhaps near Beartree? Not sure how long that would be. The Nat Geo map makes all this really obvious.

mtnkngxt
12-21-2012, 09:03
Elk Gardens is a real roll of the dice on whether you'll come back to nothing, your car broken into, car gone, or tires slashed. I typically park in Damascus and pay MRO to shuttle me up to the park. It's a chunk of change, but cheaper than my deductible and my truck unfortunately draws a lot of attention so I don't risk it.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2012, 13:24
Elk Gardens is a real roll of the dice on whether you'll come back to nothing, your car broken into, car gone, or tires slashed. I typically park in Damascus and pay MRO to shuttle me up to the park. It's a chunk of change, but cheaper than my deductible and my truck unfortunately draws a lot of attention so I don't risk it.

get ahold of me next time. i'm cheap

bigcranky
12-21-2012, 16:47
get ahold of me next time. i'm cheap

He's easy, too. :)

Kaptainkriz
09-19-2015, 20:48
Reviving this old thred to check on parking. We're planning a Mount Rodgers and area loop in a couple weeks. I've never been tomthe park, is there a gate with attendant that you pay, paystation at lot, or other? Want to make sure we don't hose up parking prior to the long ride down. :)

theoilman
09-19-2015, 21:39
I was just in Grayson Highland SP Monday. State Park fee is now $4 per day. I believe they close the gates at night. On Monday it was just a pay drop at the gate. My guess is that it is manned on the weekends now.

jjtrindc
09-24-2015, 10:58
Thanks for reviving, I'm just getting a recording at Grindstone and wondering if they still offer parking there?

bigcranky
09-24-2015, 13:31
The Grayson Highlands gate is definitely manned on the weekends. $4/day on weekdays, $5/day on weekends to park in the state park.

Free to park at Fox Creek or Elk Garden trailheads. Maybe not as safe, but no reports of incidents in a while.

Last we checked you can pay to park at Grindstone, but that was last year. Can't imagine it's chnaged; there is a large parking lot.

Kaptainkriz
09-24-2015, 19:52
Thanks all for the updates!

showtime_
09-25-2015, 22:39
Reviving this old thred to check on parking. We're planning a Mount Rodgers and area loop in a couple weeks. I've never been tomthe park, is there a gate with attendant that you pay, paystation at lot, or other? Want to make sure we don't hose up parking prior to the long ride down. :)

hey there kaptainkriz,

I was at Grayson Highlands in May. I parked at the Grindstone parking lot (it was 4 bucks a night, as previously stated in the thread). Very safe. The only PITA was that the connector trail in the campground was closed do to blowdowns, and had been for a while. I'm not sure if it still is, but all I had to do was hang a right onto the road from the campground and walk .2 miles to the trailhead (on the right). From there I think it was 4 or 5 miles to the AT near Thomas Knob shelter. The pony herds are frequently found there.

You could also hike from Massie's Gap IIRC, which should be roughly 2 miles from Rhododendron Gap. Either way is good to go.