PDA

View Full Version : A Lost In The Family

Mother Natures Son
12-19-2012, 13:14
I know this is a hiking list but please let me go forward. Today, we had to put down our cat becase he had a tumor and was going down hill very fast. I feel like ........... Has anyone been there?

Slo-go'en
12-19-2012, 13:25
Yea, well you'd have to be pretty cold hearted not to feel some grief for the loss of a pet. But there are pleanty of kittens looking for a good home, so go get one or two. As the old saying goes "The wheel keep turning..."

WalksInDark
12-19-2012, 13:58
Been there....and hated it!

Those of us who are critter people sometimes feel the loss of a pet as deeply as if it were a fellow human. It is not so much that we can't tell the difference between humans and animals, rather it is that we make meaningful and deep connections to our critters...even knowing that the critters lifespan is always to be too short for our liking.

My way of dealing with the pain of the death of a pet is to try to remember all of the good times the pet and I had. I also share my grief over the death of a pet with my friends. Lastly, whenever the time is right...sometimes weeks...sometimes years later, I get another pet and start the cycle all over again.

I have often said, "If you can't at least spoil your pet(s), you are a miserable excuse for a human being!"

Train Wreck
12-19-2012, 14:01
Over 2 years time, I lost 3 much-loved dogs to illness or old age. We kind of saw it coming with the old dog, but the other two were struck down suddenly, and those hit me the hardest. Each time it felt like a family member had died, not "just a dog."
There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of them with love and a little heartache still.
Your cat was unique and no other animal will quite fill the place he had in your heart. You may not even want to consider getting another cat anytime soon.What I found to be personally healing for me was to stay actively involved in dog rescue groups. Somehow the act of helping an animal that had a far greater need for compassion and love made the grief a little easier to bear.
May you find comfort in your memories as you work out the best way for you to deal with your loss. God bless.

Feral Bill
12-19-2012, 14:17
I had this experience with a cat close to 40 years ago. Sometimes it still hurts, but it will get better with time. Like WalksInDark says, remember the good times.

Karma13
12-19-2012, 14:20
I lost my dog a year ago, and it was devastating. I still grieve, and I miss her. My heart goes out to you! Your cat sounds like he was a good friend, and I'm so very sorry for your loss. :(

walknrow
12-19-2012, 19:15
So sorry for your loss. If you would like to make a "memorial" for your pet (or anyone else), you might like Find A Grave. You make the memorial of your choice, and then can "visit" whenever you would like. Leave "tokens" or flowers or tributes, pictures, a history...what you want. And it is free. May it comfort you knowing your pet is no longer in pain or suffering.

SawnieRobertson
12-20-2012, 19:08
It is a comfort, knowing that there are others who understand. I still keep the little box with Bozo's ashes from years ago, and I love my present Standard Poodle just as much. Having to endure the end of any wonderful relationship is incredibly painful, but in the end it is perhaps worth it.

atraildreamer
12-21-2012, 11:55
Last September, we lost our cat that we had for 20 years. :( As near as we could figure, she was 23 years and 7 months old. We rescued her after she was abandoned by her previous owners. (Don't get me started on those @#$%^&* who mistreat animals! :mad:) She had lived on garbage, and whatever she could catch, for 3 months before a neighbor kid, (who knew what soft touches we were :rolleyes:), brought her to us. She had reverted to being feral, and it took a visit to the vet, (She weighed 2 pounds- the vet didn't think she would survive :-?), a lot of TLC, good food, (tuna fish was her favorite), to bring her back. When we got her, she was a real *itch! :eek: But after a while, she calmed down and became one of the most loving animals I have ever had as a pet, justifying her new name: "Happy".:) Everyone she met loved her! She even used to have a squirrel as a play pal. They used to chase each other around the yard and up and down trees!

We knew the end was coming as she entered her 23rd year. She started so slow down, and started losing some weight. She passed peacefully with her adopted family nearby.

Try not to beat yourself up over your loss. You can only do so much for your pet(s). Death is an inevitable part of life. Take comfort in the fact that you did all that you could for your pet(s), and remember the good times you had with them. :)

Hoop
12-21-2012, 14:05
Whenever I step out the back door, I think of cats and dogs buried in the yard. A pet cemetery since the '60s.

Taz...Goldie...BadBoy...DoodleDog...so many more...

They were (and are) family.

Train Wreck
12-21-2012, 14:19
Whenever I step out the back door, I think of cats and dogs buried in the yard. A pet cemetery since the '60s.

Taz...Goldie...BadBoy...DoodleDog...so many more...

They were (and are) family.

Yes, they are.

Water Rat
12-21-2012, 15:33
Remembering the good times is what helps. That comes in time, after the healing process has started. I love my labs to pieces - They are truly my best buds. However, it took a couple of years before I would allow myself to be adopted by more dogs. Though they are not physically by my side, my previous pooches all walk with me in my heart. They are all part of my family...and always will be. Any time you love something/someone, it hurts to lose them. I hate that part of the life cycle...so hard to be the survivor. Yet, I know my life is so much more enriched by what I have learned from all my fur babies.

My condolences on your loss! I hope you find peace in our responses.

coolness
12-22-2012, 22:01
So sorry for your loss.... As I write this, Robert E. Lee is lying near me on the couch. :) A big, 16 lb. orange tabby. We also have Clairabelle, a stray we rescued. Love both of them. I know that time is the great healer. If you choose to get another cat he/she will help to heal.

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-22-2012, 23:05
Sorry for your loss. Only those who feel for their pets as family members can understand :(

Freedom Walker
12-22-2012, 23:42
I know this is a hiking list but please let me go forward. Today, we had to put down our cat becase he had a tumor and was going down hill very fast. I feel like ........... Has anyone been there?
There have been times where I wanted to post something totally unrelated to hiking because I consider those on this site to be friends, even though I don't know you and have only met a couple of you. Sorry for your loss, we have a dog who was very sick this summer and we thought we were going to lose her. Thank God she recovered but it felt like we were losing member of our family.