PDA

View Full Version : Frame or no frame?

Hans Solo
12-19-2012, 15:58
Yes, a question regarding frameless backpacks for long distance hikes. Maybe some feed back on the pros and cons of each.

1azarus
12-19-2012, 18:09
we need weight parameters to have this discussion.

more or less, i think the answer most would give is: less than 20 pounds the frame is just a weight penalty with no advantage. more than 20 pounds the frame is required for comfort.

pick your own tipping point for weight. There is probably no argument that a 10 pound load can comfortably be carried in a frameless pack. For me, the frame/no frame point is around 18 pounds... and pretty much if i need to carry more than 18 pounds i aint goin!!!

There are some minimalist frames with removable stays that bridge the middle load carrying ground -- making this a three choice discussion!

Hans Solo
12-19-2012, 18:56
The reason i ask is because Im trying to choose another pack for an AT thru hike. I found a large light weight pack at an Army/Navy store, but it has no frame. It is obviously designed for long distance hiking, but I was wondering if I will encounter problems carrying 35 to 40 lbs with no frame. If it would make that much of a difference over a great distance.

colorado_rob
12-19-2012, 18:57
Yeah, agreeing w/ 1azarus' 18 pound answer, I kinda like 20 pounds (total, incl food, meaning a 10-12 pound base weight or less) as a rule of thumb; my frameless packs start to become a tad uncomfortable right about there. Certainly 25 pounds is uncomfortable for me w/o a frame. 15 pounds I don't even notice either way. I own wo verions of a otherwise identical pack, framed and frameless and I've experimented with this. The frameless pack saves maybe 10 ounces of weight. Not worth it if you're carrying over 20 pounds.

mn_scout
12-19-2012, 19:35
I made my own frameless G4-style from a $40 kit from questoutfitters.com and used it 1100 miles this year. My loads were up to 29 pounds (7 days of food and extra water in desert) and I loved it. A waist belt took most of the weight.

Nutbrown
12-19-2012, 19:41
I think it really depend on how the pack is made. I recently did a section with a diy frameless. The pack was basically a sack with shoulder and waist straps. Horrible. I have since changed it and made the load in the pack more secure so there is no sagging. This made 20# pretty easy. If it's cheap enough, give it a try.

1azarus
12-19-2012, 20:13
I think it really depend on how the pack is made. I recently did a section with a diy frameless. The pack was basically a sack with shoulder and waist straps. Horrible. I have since changed it and made the load in the pack more secure so there is no sagging. This made 20# pretty easy. If it's cheap enough, give it a try.

you crazy lady... making your own packs, now, too?

garlic08
12-19-2012, 20:22
Reading between the lines here, I wonder if the question really should be internal frame vs external frame? If so, there are lots of threads on that subject. Frameless packs are more a niche item for us ultralighters.

Hans Solo
12-19-2012, 23:34
Reading between the lines here, I wonder if the question really should be internal frame vs external frame? If so, there are lots of threads on that subject. Frameless packs are more a niche item for us ultralighters.

Well, no, I was saying Internal/External vs. totally frame less. On an extremely long distance hike, will it cause problems. I've read that if you arrange your gear inside, that it can act as it's own frame. The pack I'm referring to, is clearly a long distance hiking pack. However, it has chest and waist straps and no external or internal frame. I'm thinking about purchasing it and was wondering if I'd be wasting my time.

attroll
12-20-2012, 23:24
Moved this topic/thread to the "General Gear Talk" forums.