PDA

View Full Version : Hostel Process

JetLag
12-19-2012, 20:29
In reading several of the hiker journals, I've become a bit confused about exactly how the process works for gaining access to the hiker hostels. I was sort of under the impression that (like the shelters) they were first come first serve; BUT on a few of the journals it appears that folks with cell phones call in to make reservations? My question is this: are old farts, like me who don't carry a cell phone, at a disadvantage to the phone crowd when it comes to getting space at a hostel??? Curious.

Monkeywrench
12-19-2012, 21:11
Depends on the hostel. The only one I remember calling ahead for was Green Mountain House in Manchester Center, VT.

Don H
12-19-2012, 21:38
Doesn't hurt to call, especially if the number is in the guide book.

cliffordbarnabus
12-19-2012, 22:02
I ain't got a cell phone neither and, yes, you can get hosed by people behind you who call ahead, but it's rare.

MuddyWaters
12-19-2012, 22:16
Many hostels cater to all hikers, not just thru hikers. Other hikers may use them to start/end their hikes , usually in conjunction with their shuttle services too. All Im sayin is its not just thru hikers behind you that you have to worry about.

Slo-go'en
12-19-2012, 23:04
Hostels which are either far enough off the trail that you really need a ride to get to or have very limited capacity are the ones who like for you to call ahead. There are only a few of these that I know of. But more often then not you'll be in a group or with someone with a phone.

But a $10 phone and $20 phone card is cheap insurance and can be handy to have once in a while.

Spirit Walker
12-20-2012, 00:17
In the south, where this is most likely to be an issue, there are usually other options for places to stay. i.e. at Neels Gap you can stay at the cabins next door. Some places will allow you to shower (for a fee perhaps) and camp on the lawn if they are full. Or you can always resupply and move on and camp in the woods. It isn't that big a deal.

yellowsirocco
12-20-2012, 03:42
A lot of places will let you camp in their yard for a smaller fee. It they are full that is an option. You still get to use their facilities and if they allow alcohol then it is probably preferable to camp in the back corner away from the party. But you should get a cheap prepaid cell phone, they are very handy.

Blissful
12-20-2012, 21:38
You can pick up a tracfone or something similar easily. It's a good idea to take along anyway for emergencies. Good also to call for shuttles. But several require reservations. Hiker Hostel, Hike Inn, I think Ron's does too.

Don H
12-20-2012, 22:26
Sometimes you call not for a reservation but for a ride to the hostel.

Having a cell phone is handy for lots of other situation too like:
A medical emergency
Need to contact the AT ranger to report a crime
Call for a ride to town. Sometimes people will post numbers for rides in shelters or road crossings.
Check weather reports
Call home. I texted home almost every night (hey it kept me out of trouble with the wife!)
Calling a gear supplier to request replacements for damaged equipment (gear maker's numbers are in the AT Guide)
Call an outfitter to see if they have something you might need. No reason to get off the trail to an outfitter if they don't have the canister gas you need.
Call your doctor so he can call the pharmacy in next town so your prescription for antibiotics for Lyme disease is ready when you get there. (don't ask how I know this :(

Go to Wally World and get yourself a cheap pre-paid phone, keep it off until you need it, and keep it in a plastic bag. It will be there when you need it.

Sly
12-21-2012, 01:19
Things may have changed but it seems to me most hostels are still first come, first serve and won't accept reservations. There are other place like the Green Mountain House, where space is limited and they request reservations.

If you can neither afford one, or don't want one, you can certainly hike the trail without a cell phone.

TOW
12-21-2012, 10:44
In reading several of the hiker journals, I've become a bit confused about exactly how the process works for gaining access to the hiker hostels. I was sort of under the impression that (like the shelters) they were first come first serve; BUT on a few of the journals it appears that folks with cell phones call in to make reservations? My question is this: are old farts, like me who don't carry a cell phone, at a disadvantage to the phone crowd when it comes to getting space at a hostel??? Curious.
yep........

swjohnsey
12-21-2012, 13:38
'Specially at the beginning seems the hostels are full of folks who hike about 5 miles a day and quit by noon. Makes it tough for the rest of us.

DeerPath
12-21-2012, 14:17

I think we are at a disadvantage, so I got the StraightTalk system from Walmart. I purchased the Samsung Galaxy SII phone which operates off AT&T towers. Unlimited phone, internet, text message for only $45.00 a month. Most hikers I know say AT&T has the best reception on the trail.
Happy Trails

bfayer
12-21-2012, 14:35
I ain't got a cell phone neither and, yes, you can get hosed by people behind you who call ahead, but it's rare.

How is it getting hosed? Is it getting hosed if someone makes a reservation at a hotel or restaurant before you decide to stay there or eat there?

Poor planning on your part does not equal getting hosed.

swjohnsey
12-21-2012, 20:21
It's really easy to plan when you are makin' five miles a day.

bfayer
12-21-2012, 22:03
It's really easy to plan when you are makin' five miles a day.

Where do you hike where the hostels are within 5 miles of each other? If someone wants to hike 5 miles and hang out at a hostel the rest of the day, that's fine with me. I don't remember reading anywhere where hostels, shelters or campsites are reserved for people that like to hike big miles and long days.

The planning part comes in when you get up in the morning and look at your guide book and your food bag and say to yourself, looks like I need to stop at so and so hostel tonight, maybe I can ask that kid over there to borrow their cell phone, if you ask nice I have no doubt they will. That is of course unless you just got though giving them a lecture on why no one needs a cell phone on the trail :)

If someone decides they do not want to bring a cell phone, that's also fine with me, I respect their decision. But just like the guy that does not bring their own tent, or tarp, and finds the shelter full when it is raining, they are not getting hosed. You make your choices and live with the outcome.

swjohnsey
12-22-2012, 08:50
You are likely to find everything full in popular spots like Damascus, Pearisburg, Hot Springs, Franklin, Haiwassee if you do not call ahead. This is especially true in bad weather. After the first couple of months it isn't that big a problem because the weather has improved and the crowd has been thinned out.

Monkeywrench
12-22-2012, 09:57
You are likely to find everything full in popular spots like Damascus, Pearisburg, Hot Springs, Franklin, Haiwassee if you do not call ahead. This is especially true in bad weather. After the first couple of months it isn't that big a problem because the weather has improved and the crowd has been thinned out.

Maybe. Maybe not. The only hostel I can remember calling ahead for is the Green Mountain House in Vermont, and then only because it clearly stated in the guidebook that reservations were required. Oh, and I called Pine Ellis in Andover, Maine a couple hours before I got to the trail-head to arrange for a shuttle.

It is certainly possible to arrive at a hostel to find it full, just as it is possible to arrive at a shelter and find it full. As a hiker you're prepared for that, right? You've got your house on your back after all.

swjohnsey
12-22-2012, 15:41
Hiawassee, full, Franklin, full, Hot Springs, full, Gatlinburg, full, Pearisburg, full. Stayed in all those places and Pine Ellis and Green Mountain but called ahead after Hot Springs.

Aquonehostel
12-22-2012, 15:49
We will always find hikers a comfy bed to sleep in, never turn anyone away, the hiker fraternity in my experience will allow you use of cell phones for that short call, I always did. I hiked with a pay-as-you-go, no toys no flashing lights and worked great. Wiggy 2010

littlefoot33
12-31-2012, 19:14
Amongst the people I met, Verizon pretty consistently the best coverage this summer, for what it's worth...

fredmugs
01-02-2013, 08:26
I think we are at a disadvantage, so I got the StraightTalk system from Walmart. I purchased the Samsung Galaxy SII phone which operates off AT&T towers. Unlimited phone, internet, text message for only $45.00 a month. Most hikers I know say AT&T has the best reception on the trail.
Happy Trails

AT&T has the best reception on the trail. Said no hiker ever. Verizon has the best coverage by a long shot.

MBaker
01-02-2013, 11:40
I think most people are on the same page with your question. Below are two point I would add.

1. Most likely you will figure out how things work as you begin your hike. Many seemingly complicated questions are simply answered once your feet hit the trail. If reservations are needed for a hostel and you don't have a phone, it's likely someone you are hiking with will have one. As I recall it was rare I needed to call ahead. If space isn't available in one place, there are usually other options.

2. Carrying a phone isn't a necessity, but it can really come in handy. I would suggest to anyone planning a thru to consider bringing a phone. A phone can be used to call friends and family to let them know you're safe, reservations can be made, you can call town for a ride if needed, or just for an emergency situation. Most phones are light and can be periodically charged in town.

Best of luck with your planning.

RED-DOG
01-02-2013, 15:51
I have never had problems getting space at Hostels and i have never called ahead.

JetLag
01-02-2013, 16:03
As the OP, I wish to report that Santa Claus delivered a new Smart Phone with Verizon Op Sys; I will master its use by my launch date. Thank you for the good discussions. Incidentally, my wife was Santa Claus and she got the phone, not to assist me in getting hostel space, rather as a security option with orders to call home occasionally.

Hot Sauce 2011
01-03-2013, 14:24
OP, you're in great shape with Verizon...the best way to hedge your bets for hostels or motels is to begin your hike early. If you start April 1 or April 15 like 400 other hikers you'll be constantly competing for space- including shelters and good tent sites. Not to mention resupply; it's no fun to pull into a decent grocery store and see that it's been picked clean. Start early to mid March and you'll never want for anything.

Aquonehostel
01-03-2013, 18:19
No hiker turned away, if the hostel is full then we will give you space in one of the rental cabins, same price, enjoy your hike. Aquone Hostel, Nantahala NC

Papa D
01-03-2013, 18:31
Hostels are typically bunk-houses behind private houses, outfitters, over barns, in houses, etc. - - think of them as little "Inns" where visitors typically share facilities (like the shower house, etc.). Trail shelters are just that, shelters (often 3 sided affairs with wood bunks) located actually just off the trail (usually down a short side).

If you are thru hiking and starting in Mid-March to Mid-April, you will find that both trail shelters and hostels are often completely full. I suggest that you take a tent or other shelter and plan on tenting on most nights - - even tent sites near shelters get filled quick so sometimes it's good to collect water near a shelter and move on to a stealthier site (sometimes hard to find) - - more places than not, this is allowed.

Most full hostels would also allow you to pay a smaller fee and tent on their property, and probably use their showers - - especially, if you ask nicely. Rarely do hostels turn thru-hikers away - - some have "no hiker turned away policies - - like Kincora Hiking Hostel in Hampton, TN (one of the best) or Hiker's Welcome Hostel in Glencliff, NH just to name two of hundreds.

Cell phone coverage is not guaranteed and while it does make making a hostel reservation easier, most hostels don't require reservations. It also can (for some) take away from the experience. Word of mouth and shelter registers have good information too and the unknown is fun.

Finally, you will experience less crowding if you are willing to tough out some colder weather and start in late February or very early in March and go go go and get out ahead of the pack.

Best of luck.