PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Hiking Poles?

Max L
12-19-2012, 21:15
I have most of my gear selected for my thru hike attempt coming up soon.... but one item i plan on bringing but don't have a clue where to begin are hiking poles? I've never hiked with them before... longest hike I've ever done was about 10 days. So far I am looking at pairs that break down small but that's about it.
What factors do you guys look at when picking out a pair? any suggestions?

mtnkngxt
12-19-2012, 21:29
I use one piece poles, but have used Lekis and adjustable poles in the past. Personally I look for light weight and I hate anti shock poles. I find the repeated squeak of the springs to be like Chinese water torture. I'm using Gossamer Gear LT3s and have used LT4s and found them to be good. Also TiGoat makes ones piece and adjustable poles.

If your base weight is over 15 pounds or if you plan to put a lot of weight on your poles I'd go with one of the major makers and try some out before buying. My base weight is right at 7 pounds for 3 season and I know I don't rely heavily on my poles so I feel comfortable with carbon poles.

Don H
12-19-2012, 21:35
I would highly recommend a pole with a "Flip Lock" type adjustment. Black Diamond or Leki are popular brands.

cliffordbarnabus
12-19-2012, 21:46
black diamond fl poles are money. I snapped one (prob my fault...) and they fedex'ed me a new one pronto.

magic_game03
12-19-2012, 21:52
What you call "break down" is technically called "telescoping." Telescoping is great when you have to hitch or travel. First you can easily get into a car. If you get into a truck (bed) you will not accidentally step on them and ruin them.

Mtnkngxt says he doesn't like the anti-shock (spring loaded) poles. It's a debatable feature. I like the anti-shock. Poles are an interesting piece of equipment. They seem like a singe usage value item with simple functionality but I believe I can name a dozen uses for poles with a variety of functional uses with the different properties. I own Leki's that can lock firm or anti-shock and I change them as i need them. Down hill I anti-shock, uphill I go firm but there are a variety of changes I make due to my needs.

I could go on for a long time describing the different ways I use poles but I will offer this tip on poles... buy poles that have cork grips not rubber grips. Your hands will be happier.

slowfeet
12-19-2012, 22:29
I recommend Leki poles.... mostly because every outfitter on the trail/nearby carries them. (meaning you'll have faster access to parts/tips/baskets/etc if needed.)

Seems all pole manufacturers are pretty good about sending out replacements for thru hikers.... black diamond was a little hesitant when a buddy of mine called for replacement, but, they still came thru.
Leki has replaced my lower sections, no questions asked except where to send them.
REI traverse are my favorite, but, the locking clamp is weak and broke. And with no REIs near the trail it took a week or so to get a replacement, which, they were very good at.(express shipped them out, their cost).

MuddyWaters
12-19-2012, 22:36
I dont like anti shock. Its one more thing to break, and I like the solid feel of standard poles.
I like 3 piece telescoping poles because they are easier to carry collapsed.
I like adjustable because I need that to support my tent, and for lengthening poles on steep downhills.
I have had no problems with twist lock on my poles. To tighten up flip-locks if too loose you will need a screwdriver I think.
I like light poles, less than 12 oz per PAIR.
I like aluminum because its cheaper and more durable (usually!) than carbon fiber
I like the EVA foam grips. Rubber would be pretty heavy. Cork is OK too, but I find really dry cork uncomfortable.

I currently have Fizan Compact Ultralight poles (not available in US), have 2 pr with 0 issues.
If I had to buy a US aluminum pole, I might consider the Big Agnes Helinox with twist lok, about 10oz per pair.
Other light poles I considered were Gossamer gear (too $ and had reputation for snapping lower sections) and Ti goat/Ruta Locura (lower section is Al, but was out of stock when I last needed poles)

If you are concerned with getting replacement parts, or even replacement poles, stick to poles that have the reputation for that.

I would not be able to get any replacement parts for my current poles, just buy new poles if I broke one.

Rasty
12-20-2012, 00:00
Black Diamond Distance FL Z Poles - About $90 weigh 16 ounces and collapse shorter then most poles. I have maybe 500 miles on them and they are holding up well. The left wrist strap started to come apart and Black Diamond replaced both wrist straps for free. EVA foam grips. As a extra bonus these fit into my luggage for when I travel for work and get a chance to do a little day hiking. Won't work for carry-on baggage but I always have to check because I'm bringing my work knives.

Grits
12-20-2012, 00:16
+1 on the Black Diamond Contour Elliptic about 20 oz but with the three piece which makes it small when you have to carry them and the eliptic shape is very strong and supports a lot of weight. You can field service if the locks need some adjusting. They have cork or duel density handles (personal preference) with 15 deg. angle. Use your straps and your hands will not get worn out. How to use them is important also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXVMA5nShA

SCRUB HIKER
12-20-2012, 03:15
This is tangentially related, so sue me. Easily the best discussion I ever had about trekking poles was with some guys doing trail magic in Maine who had _thick_ Mainer accents. They kept talking about how much they preferred cork handles, which resulted in statements like "I really like the feel of your hand on the co-ahk" and "My hands don't get as sweaty, I can get a better grip on the co-ahhk than the rubbah." I was not keeping a straight face at all and I had to excuse myself from their company for about 5 minutes to regain my composure.

As for actual helpful advice on poles, I would say don't feel like you have to buy them if you don't use them already. If you get on the trail and they start to interest you, you might be able to get a free trial run on a pair for a few days from one of the outfitters down South. I'm thinking Franklin, NC (Three Eagles or Outdoor 76) or the NOC specifically. At that point you can decide whether they're worth it for you. Lots of people with lots and lots of miles (*cough* Lone Wolf) (also Scott Williamson on the PCT) have never used poles and probably never will. Other people with not quite so many miles (me) also don't use them.

StylinLP38
12-20-2012, 18:59
I got a pair of the Black Diamond Alpine $150 which only weight 1.2lbs. They are amazing. Made a huge differance in my hikes. Its like using a hand rail on a stairway going up a mountain. So much easier. I dont have to stop for breath as much and I am able to move much quicker. They are also nice for water crossing. Im still up in the air if they are more dangerous to use or not going down hill. I use them to help steady myself taking big steps down but that may be giving me a false sense of security and may kill me some day lol. Im not sure about it yet.

StylinLP38
12-20-2012, 19:01
Oh one more thing. Cork is the real deal. Once you go cork you never go back. Coudnt imagine using rubber grips. But...I dont know what happens to cork handles after using them for a few months....wear out faster then what...

Dogwood
12-20-2012, 21:08
... Easily the best discussion I ever had about trekking poles was with some guys doing trail magic in Maine who had _thick_ Mainer accents. They kept talking about how much they preferred cork handles, which resulted in statements like "I really like the feel of your hand on the co-ahk" and "My hands don't get as sweaty, I can get a better grip on the co-ahhk than the rubbah." I was not keeping a straight face at all and I had to excuse myself from their company for about 5 minutes to regain my composure.

LOL, You pegged that right.

As for actual helpful advice on poles, I would say don't feel like you have to buy them if you don't use them already. If you get on the trail and they start to interest you...you can decide whether they're worth it for you. Lots of people with lots and lots of miles (*cough* Lone Wolf) (also Scott Williamson on the PCT) have never used poles and probably never will. Other people with not quite so many miles (me) also don't use them.

I think Scrub Hiker, or should I say Chris Burke(I remember your comment on the trailname origination thread and some of the other anagram puzzle fanatics trying to guess your real name), has a valid point that may apply. So often, we can get these notions of what gear we must have to hike based on someone else's idea of what's needed to complete the "ideal" hiking picture! I know MANY hikers, and MANY long distance hikers, who DO NOT use trekking poles! I. for one, have thru-hiked almost entirely without using trekking poles. I'm not downplaying trekking poles. They have their place but I would venture a guesstimate a full 1/2 of those I notice using trekking poles could hike without them. However, I did recently splurge on some Black Diamond Zpoles Ultra Distance carbon fiber foldable trekking poles with rub-baah grips. They are SHWEET but of course UL so some extra TLC will be needed on my part when using them.

cabbagehead
12-20-2012, 21:50
I have Leki Makalu poles and the locks are wearing down fast. Also, one of the tips fell apart. Don't get these poles. The tips and locks are poorly designed. I like the locks on the Black Diamond poles.

Don H
12-20-2012, 22:14
I've never had to adjust the flip locks but if I had to my Leatherman Micra would do it.
I have worn the tips down so far I got into the aluminum and had to replace the lower sections but that was after 1,500 miles.
You probably won't get a pair to last an entire thru. By the time I got to HF I was running on two broke poles and had to buy new ones.
I always hike with poles, I need one to hold my tent up, and they're good for flipping rattle snakes off the trail ;)

dornstar
12-21-2012, 04:35
I have Leki Makalu poles and the locks are wearing down fast. Also, one of the tips fell apart. Don't get these poles. The tips and locks are poorly designed. I like the locks on the Black Diamond poles.

I just sold a pair on eBay and I had no problems with them at all. They were reliable and trusty for me. Sold them to go lighter and picked up some LT4s.

magic_game03
12-21-2012, 10:15

What kind of locks do you have on the Makalu? I've had mine since 2006 and I know that there was a redesign but I've never had trouble with mine. I have the cam locks. I do admit I like taking them apart and cleaning them. I broke a shaft in the Tetons and in Patagonia but they will, and have, replaced those for free.

Lyle
12-21-2012, 10:19
Have used all different kinds of poles over the decades.

I'm 100% sold on PacerPoles. Very unique grip design makes them much more comfortable and efficient to use all day. Do yourself a major favor and check them out. I personally attest to the claims made.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

coolness
12-21-2012, 11:58
I currently use a pair of Salomon ski poles that I bought at Goodwill for $3. They're quite comfortable and light (aluminum). They've held up very well. I was hiking between the James River Footbridge and the Blue Ridge Parkway when I slipped a bit and they saved my bacon when I dug the left pole in. :cool: My son has a pair of Outdoor Products adjustable trekking poles from Wally World - they were $18, I think. I've used them and they are quite sturdy. Not sure if they would hold up on a thru-hike.

Mfrenchy
12-21-2012, 12:10
I had never used poles before my hike, so I bought the cheapest ones I could find in case I didn't like them. Walmart brand worked for me...the whole way.

Erin
12-22-2012, 00:36
I have had one old pole for years. A cork topped Klomperdell. It has held up very well. I just got the Black Diamond FL Z poles as a Christmas gift and I can't wait to try them out on New Year's Day hike.

magic_game03
12-22-2012, 01:18
I currently use a pair of Salomon ski poles that I bought at Goodwill for $3. They're quite comfortable and light (aluminum). They've held up very well. I was hiking between the James River Footbridge and the Blue Ridge Parkway when I slipped a bit and they saved my bacon when I dug the left pole in....

That reminds me of the greatest set of poles I ever owned. I was hiking the PCT and left my poles in a car after a hitch and was bummed. I stopped into a little thrift shop in North Tahoe and found this ratty, old, purple, heavy pair of poles that had a cam locking joint but didn't seem to really telescope that much. I bought them for $6 bucks and was on my merry old way feeling that some how I scored not having to lighten my wallet by $175 at the outfitter. Tahoe is notorious for lightening wallet loads. Later I found out that they were LifeLink SAR poles and you could pull out the shafts and screw them together to make an 8 foot probe wand. That year turned out to be a 180% snow pack year and the reenforced tempered poles were unbreakable which came in handy so that I could get rid of my ice axe and use the poles in glissading. I would later loose one of them after trying to ford the N. Fork of the Kings River in the notorious High Sierra Murro Blanco bushwack traverse The other pair was, fittingly enough, left in a car after hitching to Olympic Park also notorious for lost things. I pretty sure that the Olympic area is the Bermuda Triangle of the Pacific North West.

Wise Old Owl
12-22-2012, 03:40
Oh one more thing. Cork is the real deal. Once you go cork you never go back. Couldn't imagine using rubber grips. But...I don't know what happens to cork handles after using them for a few months....wear out faster then what...

+1 could not top this - huge difference!

So often, we can get these notions of what gear we must have to hike based on someone Else's idea of what's needed to complete the "ideal" hiking picture! I know MANY hikers, and MANY long distance hikers, who DO NOT use trekking poles! However, I did recently splurge on some Black Diamond Zpoles Ultra Distance carbon fiber afordable trekking poles with rub-baah grips. They are SHWEET but of course UL so some extra TLC will be needed on my part when using them.

Total agreement - if you are in a tent and because we are answering a question from the starter, he's 25 and might not need them. I gave up on tents a long time ago, Tried bivys and now hammock as you get older.. I like the idea of poles having dual use. Well we all know.. I use good quality to lessen bloody hips and Knees.... the surgeries can be somewhat avoided...

I currently use a pair of Salomon ski poles that I bought at Goodwill for $3. Not sure if they would hold up on a thru-hike.

Yes and if they don't, it don't matter, saw that first hand with a guy who flies all over the world to hike... he loves what is left of his ski poles!

I had never used poles before my hike, so I bought the cheapest ones I could find in case I didn't like them. Walmart brand worked for me...the whole way.

Yea and after six months they were donated to a brother. - I think they make a good starter set. No Worries Mate.

Possibly the best idea, is get what you can afford to fit your needs - cork yes, flip cam if you can get it, shocks no... certainly better than picking up a log when u are hurting.

trapper
12-22-2012, 16:06
I have Leki Makalu poles and the locks are wearing down fast. Also, one of the tips fell apart. Don't get these poles. The tips and locks are poorly designed. I like the locks on the Black Diamond poles.i have these poles....love them....1k miles on them not 1 problem

jeffmeh
12-22-2012, 21:18
As I have previously stated, there have been quite a few quality problems with the Black Diamond Z poles. I am a fan of BD poles, but not the Z's.

Razor
12-22-2012, 22:07
Leki has the best service up and down the trail. About a year ago they fired the southern rep and service has been spotty ever since . Some stores can navigate through the company layers and some just don't. Overall it is a product that is well received on the eastern trails.--with that said there are other poles that have come to market the past 2-3 years that deserve looks. With the money they cost and the many ideas of use and some of not to use it would be wise to think of the previous suggestion of getting some Wally World poles to experiment with before taking the plunge!

Joker4ink
12-25-2012, 13:28
I really like Leki's and they have amazing customer service! I've never had an issue with them slipping, the cork grips are very comfortable, the wrist straps & locks are solid and take all of my weight.

Customer service: A while back I had to change out the tips but because my current tips were older and the new ones wouldn't stay on the lower section. I called Leki and they sent me out new tips (newer style which still didn't fit), so then sent me a new set of lower pole sections with tips which work perfectly. One other time (my fault), I was hiking Bear Mountain in NY and lost a lower section and while stored on the side of my back. They sent me a brand new section under warranty. That's a company that sticks by their product...even when it was my fault about losing the section.

handlebar
12-26-2012, 01:02
Hmmm! My first pair of Leki Makalu Compacts lasted 15 years and about 5000 miles and I never had a problem with the twist locks. While hiking the ALT, I slipped and fell hard across one and it bent badly. Leki would have replaced the broken piece, but I needed poles that could adjust a little longer. Naturally, I replaced them with a new set of Leki Aergon's. As to the tips falling apart, I did find that they last about 1500 to 2000 miles, but, if you go to Trail Days or the AZT Kickoff, the Leki rep will tune up your poles and replace the tips.

Tim Causa
12-26-2012, 05:48
Black diamond makes a pair that are 3piece telescoping with flip lock, cork grips, AND the grips are angled forward about 15 degrees which really felt comfortable on my wrists. I have been on them for about 500 mikes and love them.

StylinLP38
12-26-2012, 12:17
I have a pair of Black Diamond Alpine $150 which only weight 1.2lbs. Question: My wrist was hurting some after a 11 mile hike. My longest hike to date. Am I pushing/thrusting too hard on them? I use them to propel my 250lbs forwards and upwards. helps alot. Or should I lay off some and just let gravity do some of the pushing.

Another Kevin
12-26-2012, 16:23
If your wrist hurts, you're probably gripping too tight. Try just steering the poles with your fingers and taking the load on the straps - that's what they're for.

And re: choice of poles. I'm a recent convert - just got mine about a year ago - but find that they're knee savers for an old poop like me. It's a religious argument, but I come down in the camp of flip-locks, cork grips, no shock absorbers. So far I'm quite happy with my Komperdell poles. (For what it's worth, REI and LL Bean have Komperdell replacement parts. EMS does not - at least where I am.) Komperdell also makes the REI house brand, at least this year.

Max L
12-31-2012, 18:36
thanks for all the advice guys!
fyi, I stopped by REI the other day and picked out Black Diamond Ergo cork poles. I think they'll preform just fine.