PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil Sol Ti redesign

Starchild
12-19-2012, 22:12
I just received a new Jetboil Sol Ti. The old one came in at 15.7 oz with a full canister, the new one came in at 16.4 oz, my take on that was :confused:

One complaint I have heard is that the cozy/handle on the old model was too flimsy and the handle basically useless - some have cut it off entirely, something I have considered as I don't feel the handle is needed.

The new redesign has 2 extra straps that support the handle making it useful, though I am still not sold on there necessity of the handle. The straps can be irreversibly removed by cutting them and most likely would restore the former weight. The cozy seems to be better fitting then the old one but that may be due solely to the additional 2 straps.

Another thing I have noticed is the statement 'For heating/boiling water ONLY' on it both in text and symbolic pictures. The old one indicated that full heat was for boiling water, while low heat could be used for other things (like soups and stews and snow melting). While I can still use low heat, I feel there is a issue with the bonding with the pot and the heat exchanger in this model, as that seemed to be the reason for my old one to need to be replaced. While making chili the heat exchanger separated from the bottom of the pot in a section, it appears like it got too hot as the chili was not able to dissipate heat as fast as water can, and even at lower heat levels it was enough to break the weld. On the instructions it appears this is due to the possibility that the Aluminum 'flux ring' (heat exchanger) may separate from the Ti pot (which is what happened to me) - this does not appear to affect the Al model.

magic_game03
12-19-2012, 23:59
7 hard years I have put on my Jetboil and I've never had a problem. It's traveled nearly 10K miles with me and done numerous mountaineering ascents that required snow melts of probably a couple hundred liters. I cannot say enough about it. I've done every thing I can to break this piece of equipment so I can buy a new one but it keeps hanging in there. The only piece of gear that has had a longer life than my Jetboil is my Osprey Aether 60. And I don't use the Aether in mountaineering or hot summer trips.

The handle strap is still there but I don't think I've used it since the first year I got it.

Oh yea, it's the Al model.

TrailMate
12-21-2012, 05:27
No Reply...

bfayer
12-21-2012, 09:50
I wonder if I can just get the new cozy? I'll have to give them a call after the holidays.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Starchild
12-21-2012, 11:54
Oh yea, it's the Al model.

Yes the instruction sheet 'addition' state that is for the Ti models only (including the Sumo Ti). The Al model also has a better (more material) cozy & better handle

MuddyWaters
12-21-2012, 12:02
Lots of posts on forums concerning detached or melted heat exchangers in the original. Nothing new there.
Redesign lessens the possibility, doesnt eliminate it. Some of the first generation failed when ONLY used to boil water per the instructions too.
Possibly quality control was an issue, because some had no problems too.

I believe there is a difference in the bottom of the pot, there is a ridge in the bottom of the new ones, that wasnt there before?

colorado_rob
12-21-2012, 12:12
I must have the "corrected" model, as I've yet to have any problems w/ my Jetboil Sol Ti, about 30 days or so of use, but I've never done anything but heat water.

One option if you already own the Ti model and want to do more than just heat water: buy the AL "companion cup" for $49 (probably find it on sale somewhere). Best I can tell, using the specs on the REI website is that the AL pot/cup weighs only 1.4 oz more than the Ti pot/cup. This assumes the AL cup actually works better for non-strictly-water heating.

colorado_rob
12-21-2012, 12:15
One other thing: I find the extremely wimpy cozy on the Ti model to be adequate. Barely so, but adequate. The AL cup cozy is definitely more substantial. I wonder if that accounts for much of the weight difference? Might be worth checking out. I wonder how well the lighter Ti cozy would work on the AL cup. Can always buy one (the AL companion cup), test it all out and return if it doesn't work well.

Starchild
12-21-2012, 12:24
One other thing: I find the extremely wimpy cozy on the Ti model to be adequate. Barely so, but adequate. The AL cup cozy is definitely more substantial. I wonder if that accounts for much of the weight difference?
I understand that the cozy is about 1/2 the weight savings, which would be less so with the redesign.

flemdawg1
12-21-2012, 12:26
I thought the cozy on my Sol Ti was OK also. Just pick it up by grasping the cup around the cozy, not picking up by the cozy handle.

Starchild
12-21-2012, 12:30
I believe there is a difference in the bottom of the pot, there is a ridge in the bottom of the new ones, that wasnt there before?

Yes this one has a 'ridge', the heat exchanger ring is set into the bottom just a bit, this would seem to protect the weld from direct flames. I'm not sure what the old one had as it was returned.