PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag liner

fiveonomo
12-19-2012, 22:51
Hey all, I am thinking about making a sleeping bag liner. Mainly for warmth but also to keep my sleeping bag clean. I have a close friend that runs a craft/sewing business and she hopefully can sew it for me. My question: is Fleece ok or will it not compress well? I guess I could use a small compression sack?? Also, what size should it be? How wide? My thoughts are to buy one big piece, fold it over and sew it together. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

MuddyWaters
12-19-2012, 23:15
How much extra insulation are you trying to get out of the liner?

typical thin fabric, maybe 2-3F
Heavy fleece like the cheap fleece sleeping bags they sell, maybe 10F

It is a very weighty way to get very little real insulation.

No, fleece doesnt compress well, it is quite bulky.

fiveonomo
12-19-2012, 23:18
Does the silk have any insulation ability? I would not think so.

fiveonomo
12-19-2012, 23:18
I meant to say insulating ability. And thanks b the way for the help.

MuddyWaters
12-19-2012, 23:24
The thin liners basically have no real insulating ability. About the same as a sheet. Regardless of what the package says. Always note the words ..provides up to.....

If just a liner could provide 20F warmth, there would be no need for 45F sleeping bags.

fiveonomo
12-19-2012, 23:32
Thanks muddywaters!

magic_game03
12-19-2012, 23:39
I, for the life of me, have never understood the concept of a sleeping bag liner. It's probably just me but I always felt like it was a gimmick to sell you one more piece of gear. Fleece is too heavy, sweat and dirt can easily pass through silk, and bivy is a much lighter way of keeping your warmth isolated, keeping the outside conditions at bay, and keeping dirt off your sleeping bag.

If you want to use a liner, be my guest. I just don't see the value of having one.

fiveonomo
12-19-2012, 23:50
Ok, let me ask this question then. How do you make your sleeping bag warmer. I understand I can stay dressed, but how would you make it warmer. Or is the only option is to go buy a colder weather bag?

MuddyWaters
12-20-2012, 00:00
Wear all your clothing/insulation/raingear to bed
Sleep in a tent (~3-5 F for solo)
Spoon with others in a tightly packed shelter
Put hot water bottles in your sleeping bag when you go to sleep
Use a vapor barrier
Put an overquilt over your sleeping bag
Get a heavier bag
Do situps when you get cold
Eat hearty meal and go to bed warm

Many hikers have made it thru the cold spring with only summer bags and all their clothes.
They froze some nights, but didnt perish, although some did wonder if they would.

Feral Bill
12-20-2012, 00:00
Ok, let me ask this question then. How do you make your sleeping bag warmer. I understand I can stay dressed, but how would you make it warmer. Or is the only option is to go buy a colder weather bag?
If your bag is not tight fitting, core insulation, such as a down vest or jacket adds warmth. How warm a bag you need is up to when and where you go and how warm you sleep. I mostly believe in having a warmer bag.

magic_game03
12-20-2012, 00:02
Do you have a synthetic or down bag?

moytoy
12-20-2012, 00:04
Hey all, I am thinking about making a sleeping bag liner. Mainly for warmth but also to keep my sleeping bag clean. I have a close friend that runs a craft/sewing business and she hopefully can sew it for me. My question: is Fleece ok or will it not compress well? I guess I could use a small compression sack?? Also, what size should it be? How wide? My thoughts are to buy one big piece, fold it over and sew it together. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I think it really strange you ask this question because today I've been thinking about asking for information here about a silk liner. First of all I can answer some of your questions about fleece. Yes it's bulky and yes it is warm. I have made three fleece liners and I still use all of them. I can use my liners without any other cover down to about 48-49*. I did exactly what you mentioned. I bought 70 inch wide grey fleece and sewed the foot closed then sewed in a zipper. I'm sleeping in one of them tonight and right now it's 52* here in Ocala. It's probably not quite that cool here in my camper but it will be before morning. Like I said they are bulky and to carry them on a 5-6 month trip would be crazy. I'm not sure of the numbers but they weigh almost as much as my 20*down bag. You can make one like mine for $16 so there's not reason not to do it and try it on for size.
For long distance hiking if you are going to use a liner it really should be silk. I've read reviews about several liners there were not great. Mostly because of shoddy sewing. So I'm planning on making my own. The big question is which silk fabric do I use. There are several silk fabric types to choose from. The first I've looked at is habotai silk sometimes called China silk. It comes in 5mm, 8mm, 10mm and 12mm and is the most common type of silk. The other is Raw silk fabric and it feels more like a wool fabric. I'm in the research stage of making my silk liner and thus I decided I would share my thoughts here. If anyone on WB has made a silk liner in information on fabric type would help both myself and the OP.

Tinker
12-20-2012, 00:43
The best reason not to have a bag liner is that it is single purpose. For example: you can't walk around camp in it, nor can you wear it to the laundromat while washing clothing. You use it for one purpose (ok, two, if you count using it as a summer hot weather bag). If you want to carry extra weight to stay warm, try picking up some microfleece tights and a shirt. At least you can wear them around camp, and, yes, they will keep your sleeping bag cleaner (as long as you don't go laying in the dirt with them on). If it helps, think of them as pajamas. Btw: you could wear actual pajamas, as well.
Make sure that you wear a cap, too. The oiliest, dirtiest part of your body is likely your hair. :)

Karma13
12-20-2012, 06:56
There are several silk fabric types to choose from. The first I've looked at is habotai silk sometimes called China silk. It comes in 5mm, 8mm, 10mm and 12mm and is the most common type of silk. The other is Raw silk fabric and it feels more like a wool fabric. I'm in the research stage of making my silk liner and thus I decided I would share my thoughts here. If anyone on WB has made a silk liner in information on fabric type would help both myself and the OP.

I'm no silk expert, by any means, but one thing I've learned in my years of sewing: make sure whatever silk you get is washable silk.

Snowleopard
12-20-2012, 19:27
moytoy, in case you don't know, the mm in 5mm silk is not millimeters but is momme http://info.fabrics.net/fabric-facts/know-your-momme/. 5mm or 8mm silk are very light and somewhat fragile, but fine for a liner if you're careful. Any silk or nylon liner is so thin it adds almost no insulation. Your fleece liner definitely does add insulation.

A liner that would add significant warmth would be to sew up a quilt to use inside or on top of the sleeping bag. Take two rectangles or nylon and a rectangle of climashield or other synthetic insulation and sew the climashield between the two layers of nylon. Sewing a foot box into it can help. Make the climashield layer thick enough and you can use this quilt instead of a sleeping bag.

moytoy
12-20-2012, 20:52
Thanks for the link Snowleopard. I am aware of the mm meaning for silk weight but your link gave me even more information. I've been looking at silk from this company. http://www.dharmatrading.com/products/hs5.html Although it's quite heavy I'm really intrigued by the raw silk cloth. I'm wondering how much insulation the raw silk will provide.

dornstar
12-21-2012, 04:39
I use one. I don't know if it really ads that much warmth, but I get hot and cold at night and it's nice to have a barrier when I open my sleeping bag. It may be a single use item, but I think it adds comfort for me.

fiveonomo
12-21-2012, 19:39
Thanks everyone. I went into Joann's fabrics today and looked at some fleece. Turns out I can buy one for a little cheaper on eBay.