PDA

View Full Version : Hunting and Hiking

Cbravo212
05-26-2005, 20:37
I am looking to make a trip to the AT this winter. My plan is to start and hike for about 2-3 days, then stop to do some camping and hunting. The main quesiton that I have is it ok to go off the trail in some of the national forests and set up a campsite for the day or two. Apart from making sure you can hunt and camp outside of established areas, I wanted to see how often this is done. I am looking to do it in the Jefferson National Forrest in Virginia. I know you can hunt in season and camp throughout the forrest, but was just sure how often people take advantage of being isolated, miles away from the acutal trail.

Thanks for any input.
Mike

Panzer1
05-26-2005, 21:41
I do not think you can carry a long gun on the Trail itself.

Are you talking about carrying a long gun while hiking on the trail?

Panzer

neo
05-26-2005, 21:44
hunting and hiking on the AT not legal:cool: neo

Roland
05-27-2005, 03:21
"The Trail passes through many different state and federal jurisdictions, most of which allow hunting. More than 1,000 miles of the Trail cross National Forest lands that are open to hunting. Additionally, approximately 150 miles of the A.T. are located on state gameland units that are specifically administered for game species and hunting. Hunting also is permitted on more than 100 miles of state lands administered by state forests. Additionally, on many privately owned lands adjoining the Trail, hunting is a well-established use."

Taken from: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/policies/4Dhunting.html

The Trail passes through a handful of national parks where hunting is prohibited. Otherwise, hunting is, largely, fair "game". (pardon the lousy pun, I couldn't resist) :D

plodder
05-27-2005, 06:44
I thought I had enough orange.

Tha Wookie
05-27-2005, 07:40
cbravo212,

Good question. Hunting certainly is legal and appropriate on many miles of the AT. However, I hardly see hunters out there, even though I spend a lot of time in the Southern Applalachians in all four seasons.

I think this is because a lot of hunters use the private club lands or other places where an ATV is legal. Of course, ATV's are illegal on the AT, so many folks would rather not have to haul a kill when they could use their machine. Another reason might be that the AT is mostly ridgeline, and therefore a colder and more brutal place in the winter than the valleys and hollows, where the animals often congregate. The biggest reason for displacement is probably the high likelihood of seeing multiple hikers even in winter, who break up a stalk and pose a huge safety risk. In fact the last time I heard about hunting on the AT a girl in GA was shot in the stomach while she was taking a pee in the bushes away from the trail.

Wish I could help more. Good luck.

Lilred
05-27-2005, 08:20
Nov. of '03 I was hiking in Georgia and came across a couple of bear hunters. Hunters aren't allowed to shoot across the AT so they had staked out themselves a spot just off the AT with their backs to it.

The Solemates
05-27-2005, 11:20
i tend to hike more in the winter than the summer because during the summer Im usually water skiing every weekend. that said, I see hunters along the trail all the time. In fact, I saw a hunter on my way into Trail Days when I was NOBO; it was early in the morning and he was just about 3 miles north of double springs shelter. I have also seen a lot of hunters during other times, typically they are looking for turkey, grouse, etc. and not big game like deer. they dont bother me a bit, especially since most of them come in before daylight and leave before lunch.

Dances with Mice
05-27-2005, 17:41
Once upon a time my son and a few other Scouts needed to complete a 20 mile hike for the Hiking merit badge, so we were going to do the GA AT from Woody to Neels and back. It was in fall so we had short, cool days and needed to get an early start. So we camped the night before at Dockery Lake campground, just downhill from Woody Gap. Sometime before dawn we woke up to a chorus of turkeys, they were all around us! Some sounded kind of sick, though.

Turned out that the campground was full of turkey hunters and they were practicing their calls before heading out for their morning hunt. I guess some turkey callers are more skilled than others. Later as we started our hike we met a turkey hunter on the AT, he was headed south towards Woody. We stopped to chat and learned he was a FS ranger out hunting on his day off.

And once in winter at Whitney Gap shelter a father and son out bear hunting dropped in to stand around our fire before moving on. But except for those two, I haven't seen big game (bear, deer) hunters on the AT. They prefer to stay near roads, dragging large game through miles of brush is no fun. The girl that was shot in Georgia a couple years ago happened to be at a road crossing, Jarrard Gap if I remember right.

Cbravo212
05-27-2005, 20:15
I understand the laws of where and when pretty good. I was just curious about how many hunters were out there. I prefer turkey hunting myself, I like everyone said, who wants to drag a 200 pound deer four or five miles.

However, I am timid about hunting in "public" areas. Of course because of safety. I like to know where everyone is.

I greatly appreciate the info everyone gave. Good luck to everyone in there ventures and my fire is always open to anyone.