PDA

View Full Version : Class of 2013 -- Chart of Mileage For A Few AT Thru-hikers

Datto
12-20-2012, 13:57
Below is a chart showing the actual mileage over time of a few AT thru-hikers on their northbound AT thru-hikes. Also shown is my planned AT mileage that I'd intended to do prior to the start of my northbound AT thru-hike compared with the actual AT mileage I did when I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail. You can see I was relatively on-track until I came upon The White Mountains of New Hampshire and the mountains in Maine (these present the most difficult terrain on the AT and I was in the best trail shape of my life when I went through there).

You'll want to plan to go faster than what did on my actual AT thru-hike so you don't get buried in snow like I did in Maine. Hopefully this image shows up well enough to read it.

MuddyWaters
12-20-2012, 15:08
Rain man put together an incredible amount of data a few yrs ago from about 240 hikers (I recall) trail journals and averaged the mpd over different sections, etc. Its also a very informative read if you can find it.

jeffmeh
12-20-2012, 15:37
Rain man put together an incredible amount of data a few yrs ago from about 240 hikers (I recall) trail journals and averaged the mpd over different sections, etc. Its also a very informative read if you can find it.

I think you mean "map man." http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?44-AT-Hiking-Rates-Section-by-Section

MuddyWaters
12-20-2012, 15:58
Yeah, my bad. Old memory and all.
Thats the one, thanks.

I at least knew it was some kind of man