PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile section hike suggestions

Niko
12-20-2012, 16:02
I'm a newly registered user....First time posting anything, so if anything I should do differently here, please let me know. BTW - this site is a wealth of trail knowledge and very informative & the community of everyone wanting to help eachother have the best trail experience is really awesome. Kudos.
I hope to one day do a full thru-hike from south-north when I can get everything in order. Until then, I was planning on doing a section hike in the spring/summer 2013.
So, my question is....does anyone have any suggestions on where a good starting/stopping point would be for a 100 to 150 mile trek? I have family in southern WV and also in WV bordering Maryland, while I, myself live in Eastern PA just south of Allentown & live within close proximity to many trailheads not far north of me. So any suggestions on what areas to hike for that long a distance or possibly any itineraries of anyone else that had section hiked or know what the trek is like in these parts of the trail, would be much appreciated.

Peace & Happy Trails
Niko

Cookerhiker
12-20-2012, 17:14
There are lots of 100 mile options throughout the trail corridor. Assuming you don't want to travel far, possibilities include:

97 miles from Duncannon to PA Rt. 309 - close to home for you. Parts of this stretch include the fabled PA rocks. You didn't say when you wanted to hike but I'd recommend this stretch either in Spring or early Fall. Don't hike it in summer because of heat and water scarcity.

96 miles Bear Mountain, NY to Salisbury, CT - not too far from home, not too difficult overall (especially the NY portion). Again, avoid the summer if you can because of mosquitoes.

95 miles Salisbury, CT to North Adams, MA - you get to ascend Mt. Greylock towards the end of your hike - the highest point on the AT since Virginia. This is another hike that's better in Spring or Fall.

I'm sure you'll receive suggestions for stretches in the South or further north in New England.

waasj
12-20-2012, 19:37
Springer to Nantahala is a good 100 ish section. Nantahala to Hot Springs or Fontana to Hot Springs would work too. Lots of options, pick two points and go for it! You will have a great experience anywhere!!!

MuddyWaters
12-20-2012, 19:54
If you dont have it, the AT guide by AWOL will greatly help you choose. You should have it anyway for hiking.

putts
12-20-2012, 20:18
Davenport Gap in NC northward is nice.

Dad
12-20-2012, 21:08
Not real close but I liked Erwin TN to Damascus, VA. See Beauty Spot, Unaka Mountain, over Roan, the Balds and the Humps, Overmountain Shelter, a couple of waterfalls, a river walk, into Dennis Cove/Kincora Hostel area, on to Laurel Falls, the Gorge, Watauga Lake (both the shore and seeing it from above at Pond Mountain and on the way to Vandeventer Shelter), on through beautiful woods/ridge walks into Damascus. Maybe about 120 miles. One of my favorite sections. If interested I can point you toward my journal for that and several other hikes of about 175 to 200 miles.

canoe
12-20-2012, 21:14
Start at rockfish gap,hike the SNP to Front Royal or to Harpers Ferry

Blissful
12-20-2012, 21:33
First time out - Rockfish Gap to Harper's Ferry.

bigcranky
12-20-2012, 21:34
+1 for Shenandoah National Park. It's a pretty section, not particularly difficult. I would hike it north-to-south. If you can go in late May or early June that'll be the best weather.

OldFeet
12-24-2012, 10:37
If you want to stay near home it's around 98 miles from Harper's Ferry to Boiling Springs and about 125 miles from Harper's Ferry to Duncannon. Shelters are reasonably spaced along this route and while there are some rocks in PA the worst really don't start until north of Duncannon. Continuing on to Swatara gap would give you a bit over 150 miles with an 18 mile hike between the Peter's Mountain and Rausch Gap shelters north of Dunncannon. This is generally pretty easy hiking and does give you the option of taking the train into Harper's Ferry and arranging for a pick up at the other end.

shelb
12-24-2012, 10:53
Start at rockfish gap,hike the SNP to Front Royal or to Harpers Ferry

Agreed! This is a great trip for a newbie. I took my best friend on the AT from Rockfish to Front Royal two years ago. She had never backpacked before, but she is now hooked!

Don H
12-24-2012, 14:44
When I do section hikes the main concern I have is:
1. A safe place to park
2. Availability of a shuttle
3. About 100 miles of train between 1 and 2.

Parking info here: http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org
Shuttle info here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-11-6-12.pdf

Have fun!

Don H
12-24-2012, 14:47
TRAIL not train, I need the edit function!

Odd Man Out
12-24-2012, 21:43
TRAIL not train, I need the edit function!

But having a train eliminates the need for the shuttle!

Papa D
12-24-2012, 21:52
How about the whole state of New York? - nearly a perfect 100 miles - backtrack a few miles from county road 20 (there is a nice mountaintop - can't remember the name right at the CT / NY line) and go south to NJ23

Niko
01-03-2013, 11:44
Thanks for suggestions everyone. I just figured out how to know when people respond to a thread, just after posting a very similar post thinking no-one responded. Oops. I swear I'll figure this out one day. lol

Niko
01-03-2013, 11:47
Those are all great suggestions. I particularly like the Salisbury to North Adams. Lived in western Mass. for a couple years and that could be great to see parts of the state I've never been to. Plus Mt. Greylock could be a great finish. Yes definately would be going spring time.
Thanks again!

Niko
01-03-2013, 11:49
When I do section hikes the main concern I have is:
1. A safe place to park
2. Availability of a shuttle
3. About 100 miles of train between 1 and 2.

Parking info here: http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org
Shuttle info here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-11-6-12.pdf

Have fun!

Great info, I'll check this out after work. Thanks so much

Niko
01-03-2013, 11:50
Those are all great suggestions. I particularly like the Salisbury to North Adams. Lived in western Mass. for a couple years and that could be great to see parts of the state I've never been to. Plus Mt. Greylock could be a great finish. Yes definately would be going spring time.
Thanks again!

This was in response to Cookerhiker by the way.

Still learning here, haha
Thanks again

Niko
01-03-2013, 11:52
If you dont have it, the AT guide by AWOL will greatly help you choose. You should have it anyway for hiking.

I read his book, but haven't gotten the guide yet. I'm going to order it. Is the 2013 edition available yet?

Niko
01-03-2013, 11:54
Not real close but I liked Erwin TN to Damascus, VA. See Beauty Spot, Unaka Mountain, over Roan, the Balds and the Humps, Overmountain Shelter, a couple of waterfalls, a river walk, into Dennis Cove/Kincora Hostel area, on to Laurel Falls, the Gorge, Watauga Lake (both the shore and seeing it from above at Pond Mountain and on the way to Vandeventer Shelter), on through beautiful woods/ridge walks into Damascus. Maybe about 120 miles. One of my favorite sections. If interested I can point you toward my journal for that and several other hikes of about 175 to 200 miles.

How do I get to the (your) journal? Would love to read it

Niko
01-03-2013, 11:56
If you want to stay near home it's around 98 miles from Harper's Ferry to Boiling Springs and about 125 miles from Harper's Ferry to Duncannon. Shelters are reasonably spaced along this route and while there are some rocks in PA the worst really don't start until north of Duncannon. Continuing on to Swatara gap would give you a bit over 150 miles with an 18 mile hike between the Peter's Mountain and Rausch Gap shelters north of Dunncannon. This is generally pretty easy hiking and does give you the option of taking the train into Harper's Ferry and arranging for a pick up at the other end.

Great suggestions, thank you sir. I like the train idea.

pnkwolfe
01-03-2013, 13:31
+1 on Harper's ferry north. I've done quite a bit of southeast PA (my neck of the woods). No dramatic land features, but a nice safe walk with good water and shelter.