PDA

View Full Version : Most bizarre sight

DebW
12-28-2002, 22:11
What was the most bizarre or incongruous sight you've seen on the AT?

For me, it was hiking along next to a circus train in Falls Village, CT. There were carnival rides and circus booths moving along beside us, and then the performers waving as they rode passed.

Bandana Man
12-28-2002, 23:04
In GA there was another hiker whose "backpack" consisted of two large black plastic garbage bags tied together with rope. For water bottles, he had plastic liter-sized soda bottles, which now I understand is standard for the ultra-light crowd but then it was unique to me. There was something odd about his footwear, too, but I can't quite remember. I seem to recall he didn't wear fancy boots or even light trail runners but very plain-looking black-and-white sneakers like you would buy off the sale rack at Wal-Mart. After seeing so many hikers with all the name-brand, high-priced specialty gear, this hiker was really an unusual sight. I wasn't quite sure if he was a hiker or a transient, so I was reluctant to say anything other than "hello" to him. I do respect his ingenuity though...

Can I have a second most incongruous sight? On a very cold and rainy day with temps in the 40's I passed a group of hikers and one was barefoot. I immediately thought of the book "The Hobbit" by Tolkien because his feet were kinda big and hairy!

Blue Jay
12-29-2002, 07:10
In the middle of the the night I heard drums, not just a few but many and of different types. I got up and walked toward them. There was a large fire with about 50 people dancing around it in various states of undress. The drummers, about 40 of them, were kick ass good. I watched for a while, but felt uncomfortable just watching so I took off my smelly clothes and joined in. No one gave any indication that I did not belong. We danced all night. When the sun broke over a mountain we did a ritual to it. They gave me food, let me shower, and gave me a painted broomstick, a foam filled glove on the top with feathers and talisman. They said every year a thru comes into their circle but none had ever danced. That stick has brought me luck ever since. I don't expect many of you will believe this story, if they hadn't given me the stick I would'nt either. Remember if you hear the drums, make sure you dance.

Kerosene
12-29-2002, 13:44
Hiking south through Harriman State Park last June, my brother and I happened upon a young lady who had started from Delaware Water Gap a few weeks prior. She was lugging a huge yellow Tonka dumptruck in her hand that she had purchased at a flea market for her young cousin a few days earlier. She had tried to lash it to her pack, but it bounced too much. She only had another day until she got off the Trail and I didn't have the heart to suggest that she cache the truck by the side of a road and pick it up when she finished. I certainly hope that kid appreciates what she went through to buy him a new toy!

Kerosene
12-29-2002, 13:49
The yellow Tonka truck was my vote for incongruous sight. Here's my bizarre sight.

On my second AT section hike in April of 1974 we started north out of Duncannon. A few days out, we came out of the woods onto what looked like your typical suburban cul de sac. We noticed that many of the houses had big holes punched in them, and that there were no people or animals around. The Trail went down the street, crossed a road, and re-entered the forest. We were wondering if there had been a war or something. We never did determine what happened there.

MedicineMan
12-31-2002, 07:37
years ago coming off of Roan Mtn and well after the old Cloudland hotel footing we happened along a delapidated truck and a man sitting beside it and a fire baking bisquites, he offered us one and the scouts and I gladly accepted....it was after the descent of the Roan that one of us puzzled over the fact that there was no road where the truck had been. Later that day we were passed by another hiking party and we asked them where they had started-same as us at Carvers Gap. Then we asked if they had seen the old truck and the man cooking bisquits.....they said what truck and what old man!
This section is literally in my back yard. From where I am typing now Roan High Knob is 2.5 miles away (and 2600 feet). I have hiked Roan from 19e (up Hump Mountain-a thrill for the SOBO's) and from Carver's GAp in every direction. I have hiked this section in the heat, in the snow, in the rain and in winds that could rival Mt.Washington but I have never seen the old man again.
And for those of you who kinda follow my exploits along the trail with my new girlfriend who has hiked two sections of the AT in NC let me tell you that I call the trail "The Teacher" when I reference it to Cathy. The AT has become mythical not only to me but to so many others. How many of you sit at home or your work desk and fantasize about hiking it, about walking it, about taking one step after another on it, about the endless wonderings of what is around the next corner?
Can you tell I have had 1/2 bottle of wine.....well we hung 16 pieces of sheet rock today and began the finishing process.....
The steam room is heating up and soon I will melt away the endless screws.
Godbless
Dachonkin------>Simva2020

Grimace
12-31-2002, 09:28
I saw a black man hiking in VT!

I can't tell you how many hours I spent thinking of sociological reasons for why minorities don't thru hike. This guy started in Roanoke and was hiking with a huge, antique Airforce pack. Long enough thruhike to me. I actually asked him about the lack of other black hikers. He told me all the ones he knew turned around at the Mason Dixon. I can't tell you how many more hours I spent thinking of the sociological reasons for why minorities don't thruhike.

MedicineMan
12-31-2002, 12:32
while sectioning in Va. last fall I meet an oriental trail named 'squeeks no more', he was doing 20mile days and headed to Springer....dont know where he started but he was the first asian I had seen on the trail in 30 years of sectioning, very nice fellow and very funny.

Lone Wolf
04-08-2010, 01:22
What was the most bizarre or incongruous sight you've seen on the AT?

incongruous?......

Father Dragon
04-08-2010, 01:43
incongruous?......

The three walled cinder block shack seemed incongruous to the surroundings so the hiker avoided spending the night there.

GGS2
04-08-2010, 02:38
Congruous means the same as, or fits with. Incongruous means sticks out, doesn't fit in. Think the Sesame Street song: "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong."

Frick Frack
04-08-2010, 08:42
I saw a black man hiking in VT!

I can't tell you how many hours I spent thinking of sociological reasons for why minorities don't thru hike. This guy started in Roanoke and was hiking with a huge, antique Airforce pack. Long enough thruhike to me. I actually asked him about the lack of other black hikers. He told me all the ones he knew turned around at the Mason Dixon. I can't tell you how many more hours I spent thinking of the sociological reasons for why minorities don't thruhike.

We saw a one legged black man in Shenandoah, "Step & a Half" or "One Step"???, hiking a section.

Hikes in Rain
04-08-2010, 11:16
The Marlborough Man!

fredmugs
04-08-2010, 11:40
Congruous means the same as, or fits with. Incongruous means sticks out, doesn't fit in. Think the Sesame Street song: "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong."

If you have seen me on the trail then you have seen something incongruous! :)

fredmugs
04-08-2010, 11:44
First time I hiked in PA just happened to coincide with the first day of summer. I came around a curve to see a young man with very red hair carrying a baby blue guitar and nothing else. I'm still not sure if I should have asked to take his picture.

left turn
04-08-2010, 12:45
years ago coming off of Roan Mtn and well after the old Cloudland hotel footing we happened along a delapidated truck and a man sitting beside it and a fire baking bisquites, he offered us one and the scouts and I gladly accepted....it was after the descent of the Roan that one of us puzzled over the fact that there was no road where the truck had been. Later that day we were passed by another hiking party and we asked them where they had started-same as us at Carvers Gap. Then we asked if they had seen the old truck and the man cooking bisquits.....they said what truck and what old man!
This section is literally in my back yard. From where I am typing now Roan High Knob is 2.5 miles away (and 2600 feet). I have hiked Roan from 19e (up Hump Mountain-a thrill for the SOBO's) and from Carver's GAp in every direction. I have hiked this section in the heat, in the snow, in the rain and in winds that could rival Mt.Washington but I have never seen the old man again.
And for those of you who kinda follow my exploits along the trail with my new girlfriend who has hiked two sections of the AT in NC let me tell you that I call the trail "The Teacher" when I reference it to Cathy. The AT has become mythical not only to me but to so many others. How many of you sit at home or your work desk and fantasize about hiking it, about walking it, about taking one step after another on it, about the endless wonderings of what is around the next corner?

Dachonkin------>Simva2020

90% of my AT hikes have been in NC and i have spent a good bit of time up at Rhone and every time i go there always something weird, strange, etc that happens. the AT in NC is mystical i will agree.

we hiked the North face of Rhone and over to carvers gap on a few more miles, while coming back going down the north face we passed these senior citizens and one had just had knee surgery and was heading up the north face of Rhone. she still had a knee brace on. couldn't believe it:eek:

Disney
04-08-2010, 13:19
incongruous?......

You resurrected an 8 year old thread to ask about grammar?

Strangest thing I ever saw was a grown man drinking kerosene.

Spokes
04-08-2010, 14:02

Strangest thing I ever saw was a grown man drinking kerosene.

It's not bad with honey or brown sugar either.

Jim Lemire
04-08-2010, 14:21
A hiker that made his backpack out of a Pampers box. He covered it with plastic shelf paper so it would not disinergrate in the rain and poked holes thru it with rope knotted on the inside for straps.
He held onto his sleeping bag setting on top of it with one hand while hiking. His food was a large jar of peanut butter a 2 lb jar of jelly, and a loaf of bread.
Met him at a shelter and figured he was nuts. Next day I was eating at a shelter 18 miles south when he came walking in - instant respect. I was shocked he covered the distance.

AT2000

Yahtzee
04-08-2010, 14:40
On a day hike on Peters Mountain, I followed a peacock on the trail for half a mile all the way to the shelter.

Nander
04-08-2010, 14:58
Last April I noticed a large Platypus under the Deep Gap shelter. It contained a large amount of water, and a small dead mouse floating in it. Looking at the register a hiker entered that on the prevoius night they lost the cap so placed the bladder upright overnight. The next day they found the mouse. The hiker apologized for leaving it, but was too freaked out to dispose of it. I have a photo, but attaching it is beyond my ancient abilites.

wcgornto
04-08-2010, 15:42
I met a northbounder named Wrath last year. He was very immersed (completely lost) in Dungeons and Dragons, alternate universes, etc. He was hiking the trail to find a portal to Jupiter or something like that. Reportedly, he was re-hydrating by standing in streams.

Disney
04-08-2010, 17:37
I met a northbounder named Wrath last year. He was very immersed (completely lost) in Dungeons and Dragons, alternate universes, etc. He was hiking the trail to find a portal to Jupiter or something like that. Reportedly, he was re-hydrating by standing in streams.

You think he might have been pulling your leg?

Some of those folks (I used to be one) will occasionally pretend to be weirder than they actually are. It's kind of a defense mechanism of sorts. I don't pretend to understand it, but I know it happens.

flemdawg1
04-08-2010, 17:39

Yep, met that dude last july @ the Clarks Ferry Shelter outside of Duncannon. He babbled on & on about being a soul reaper, but he was smoking a J @ the time so I chalked it up to that. :rolleyes:

V Eight
04-08-2010, 18:34
Lone Wolf

Thanks for dragging this thread back up.

John Klein
04-08-2010, 20:19
In GA there was another hiker whose "backpack" consisted of two large black plastic garbage bags tied together with rope. For water bottles, he had plastic liter-sized soda bottles, which now I understand is standard for the ultra-light crowd but then it was unique to me. There was something odd about his footwear, too, but I can't quite remember. I seem to recall he didn't wear fancy boots or even light trail runners but very plain-looking black-and-white sneakers like you would buy off the sale rack at Wal-Mart. After seeing so many hikers with all the name-brand, high-priced specialty gear, this hiker was really an unusual sight. I wasn't quite sure if he was a hiker or a transient, so I was reluctant to say anything other than "hello" to him. I do respect his ingenuity though...
...and it was Ray Jardine. True story.;)

Montana
04-09-2010, 16:09
On my 2008 thruhike, I think I ran into Jesus hiking the trail. He wore a long brown robe, had the hair and beard that one would expect, and carried no backpack. It was a little on the bizarre side.

Not AT related, as I was hiking on the CDT at the time (well actually resupplying), when I saw what might be the coolest RV ever!

TIDE-HSV
04-09-2010, 18:11
Blue blaze, but it happened right off the AT on the Blockhouse Mtn trail in the GSMNP. A friend and I rounded a blind turn into a designated campsite, and there was a dwarf, pants down, in the middle of the trail, crouching about to take a dump. Standing beside him was a very attractive, statuesque blond gal, his girlfriend, I presume. He yanked his shorts up and grumbled "A man can't take a **** anywhere these days." We hiked on without answering. After we rounded the next turn, I asked my friend "Did you see what I just saw." He had, so it wasn't a hallucination...

This happened thirty years ago. I just messaged my friend through Facebook. I hope he still remembers it... :)

Trail Bug
04-09-2010, 18:24
Last year near Atkins VA my wife and I heard a baby crying. Coming down the trail in the pouring rain was a couple thru hiking with their 4 month old baby riding in the girl's backpack.

Pickleodeon
04-09-2010, 19:48
holy crap! Wrath.. I heard about that guy this past year. We didn't actually meet him, but man, we heard some stories! He was hiking the trail to learn swords. Not sword fighting, "to learn swords". He was looking for a portal, something about he was a dragon, and was going to fight a wizard or something ?? For real. That's what he told everyone and apparently was pretty darn serious about it! Weird.

My weirdest though was in Va, in that stretch where you cross the Blue Ridge Parkway about a hundred times in the course of like 5 miles. There was a guy, maybe mid-50's. NAKED. This was not the kind of man that should be hiking naked. I couldn't restrain my giggles. He had a little satchel across his chest and he pulled it in front to cover up as I passed. I was trying so hard not to laugh I didn't even say hi to him. I'll never forget that one. And it wasn't even hike naked day.

weary
04-11-2010, 20:54
The Marlborough Man!
No. The Marlborough Man was the one that was panting from diseased lungs.

Dr.AJ
05-05-2010, 11:14
Hello hikers! First time poster, long-time reader.

I came across this thread, and couldn't help recounting my experience with Wrath. Last July, we met him at Quarry Gap Shelter and spent more than enough time with him, seeing him for the last time at Rausch Gap. He told us that he was a Warrior of Jupiter, the last one left on the planet Earth. Every night the death star returns to Earth to recharge this warrior who only marches (hikes) by the guidance of the star (sun). Wrath couldn't hike on rainy days. Wrath sat in the shelter nightly and stroked his life line (invisible to us). He stated that as a warrior, he has to kill the person who is the seat of power in a given area. Determining the person who is the seat of power is easy because they have the longest life line. We were all still alive because we didn't have the power and were not a threat. He did not sign registers because that was a violation of "leave no trace." He told us that he didn't need to carry water because he could absorb it from the morning dew or rainfall (he didn't mention the standing in streams part. He was amazed at our human inadequacy for not possessing this skill). He cannot eat food from a "dead zone" because it is draining rather than nourishing. The entire state of Maryland is a dead zone. When Wrath ate for the first time at Birch Run, he passed out in the early afternoon because the box of pop tarts he had was mistakenly acquired in Maryland.

Wrath was more than willing to recount his philosophy and mission to everyone who asked, and even to those who did not. It seems that he had a turbulent youth in California where he was given the option of jail or the armed forces following some meth issues. After his stint in the Marines, he has been wandering the U.S. with what he carries on his back. He often stays in shelters for multiple days at a time, especially outside a town if he needs to get a few odd jobs for some cash. He didn't carry much food, and other hikers often left him provisions. He carried cigarette butts around that he found and either re-lit them, or reclaimed the tobacco and re-wrapped them. While he made us feel uneasy quite often, I feel kinda bad for him...

ShoelessWanderer
05-05-2010, 11:40
In the middle of the the night I heard drums, not just a few but many and of different types. I got up and walked toward them. There was a large fire with about 50 people dancing around it in various states of undress. The drummers, about 40 of them, were kick ass good. I watched for a while, but felt uncomfortable just watching so I took off my smelly clothes and joined in. No one gave any indication that I did not belong. We danced all night. When the sun broke over a mountain we did a ritual to it. They gave me food, let me shower, and gave me a painted broomstick, a foam filled glove on the top with feathers and talisman. They said every year a thru comes into their circle but none had ever danced. That stick has brought me luck ever since. I don't expect many of you will believe this story, if they hadn't given me the stick I would'nt either. Remember if you hear the drums, make sure you dance.

:-? Did this happen to occur at Trail Days?

ShoelessWanderer
05-05-2010, 11:42
Blue blaze, but it happened right off the AT on the Blockhouse Mtn trail in the GSMNP. A friend and I rounded a blind turn into a designated campsite, and there was a dwarf, pants down, in the middle of the trail, crouching about to take a dump. Standing beside him was a very attractive, statuesque blond gal, his girlfriend, I presume. He yanked his shorts up and grumbled "A man can't take a **** anywhere these days." We hiked on without answering. After we rounded the next turn, I asked my friend "Did you see what I just saw." He had, so it wasn't a hallucination...

This happened thirty years ago. I just messaged my friend through Facebook. I hope he still remembers it... :)

That's funny! Very similiar story happened to some of the hikers in my hiking group. Except they were in WVA. Was a dwarf with tall "hot" blond girl. Oh and he was wearing leopard print.

Gray Blazer
05-05-2010, 12:01
My weirdest though was in Va, in that stretch where you cross the Blue Ridge Parkway about a hundred times in the course of like 5 miles. There was a guy, maybe mid-50's. NAKED. This was not the kind of man that should be hiking naked. I couldn't restrain my giggles. He had a little satchel across his chest and he pulled it in front to cover up as I passed. I was trying so hard not to laugh I didn't even say hi to him. I'll never forget that one. And it wasn't even hike naked day.

Sorry, I didn't know that was you. I won't do it again.

tiptoe
05-05-2010, 12:13
at Knife Edge in Pennsylvania, a guy hiking barefoot and wearing a pink gauzy skirt...

the Cog Railway at Mt. Washington looks pretty darn incongruous. Shades of the little engine that could.

wolfpackcruiser
05-05-2010, 22:44
In NY last year I was with a couple other thru-hiker buddies. We were at one of those climbs where you have to use your hands to get up the rocks.

When we get to the top at the lookout point, there is a guy sitting there, his back to us, with his pants down around his knees. His big old dog, some kind of mastiff I think, sees us and starts going crazy. He lunges toward us but the guy grabs the dog's collar while staying seated, but doesn't have time to pull his pants up.

Then from in front of the guy pops up the face of a female companion! She's all smiles and nods to us. The guy turns red but keeps his eyes fixed forward. Meanwhile the dog is still going crazy barking at us while being held by his owner. As we walk away, one of my buddies says to the dog, "Calm down, BJ!"

We hiked on for a few minutes, but then we couldn't hold in the laughter any longer, and we stopped and had a real good laugh!

Tinker
05-05-2010, 22:57
So far it would have to be watching a bear watching me pee at night from about 70 feet away (I didn't realize how close I was to the bear box that he'd probably been trying to get into). I was more fascinated than scared, though I quickly finished what I was doing and, as calmly as possible, returned to my hammock where, much to my surprise the next morning, I realized how quickly I fell asleep again. I guess I must be getting used to this hiking stuff after 30-odd years. :)

Bear Cables
05-05-2010, 23:17
A quy with a hula hoop on the back of his pack.

commonwealth_hiker
05-06-2010, 12:02
Hiked briefly with a fellow who brought his goat with him. It was a perfect setup: Ali Baba (the goat) carried their 10 lb tarp-tent, ate his food along the AT (not sure if that's LNT or not...), and negotiated mountains better than most hikers.

That wasn't the strange part. The strange part was that people in NJ and PA had never seen a goat before, and were disarmingly nice to the man and his goat as result.

Just Jeff
05-07-2010, 00:07
One time I was peeing on the Foothills Trail and a deer walked down the ridgeline and onto the trail...then started walking towards me. I didn't want to scare him off so I just stood still, brains hanging out and everything, for a few minutes. Watching a wild animal stare at my junk was a bit incongruous.

Uncle Cranky
05-07-2010, 01:22
Quoting Dr. AJ, post #32

"Wrath sat in the shelter nightly and stroked his life line...."

Now I know why this guy's loony tunes.

Hey, my granny warned ME what would happen if I stroked mine too often!!

Guess no one passed on the advice to Wrath!

psyculman
05-07-2010, 06:05
Returning to a stealth site, waaaaaay up a herd path, and a long way from the public trail, there was a tiny corner of card board showing under the dirt, on the path. I pulled it up, and, there was a pair of X large mens briefs, and, a lot of wadded up duct tape. I was a little stunned, and, slowly looked around for anything else that might be there. Off to the side, there was a small WalMart tent, stuffed under some brush. I searched a little, and sniffed the air, thinking there may have been a body. I couldn't find anything. I notified the state police, and, the officer who investigated, with the forest service ranger a few weeks later, said he did not know what it might have been about. I had just been there a couple of weeks before, and the stuff was not there. If someone was trying to make a point, they did. It's not my regular spot anymore.

TIDE-HSV
05-07-2010, 08:10
One time I was peeing on the Foothills Trail and a deer walked down the ridgeline and onto the trail...then started walking towards me. I didn't want to scare him off so I just stood still, brains hanging out and everything, for a few minutes. Watching a wild animal stare at my junk was a bit incongruous.

Another peeing story. My wife and I were day-hiking in the Grand Tetons. I had an urge, but I had to make a steep climb up from the trail. I saw a clearing, unzipped and started. When I looked up, there was a moose looking at me from only about 30' away. (For those that don't know, moose have killed a lot of people and I was testing this one's patience.) I started talking low and soothingly, finished and backed slowly out. When I got down to the trail, my wife said "Who the hell were you talking to up there?"

Just Jeff
05-07-2010, 11:24
Tell her you were just soothing your life line.