PDA

View Full Version : New ULA Circuit Pack Arrived

CarlZ993
12-21-2012, 09:27
After reading countless forum threads, I decided to get the ULA Circuit backpack on my upcoming thru-hike. Well, Santa in a brown suit (UPS) brought my new Circuit pack last night. It will be wrapped up and put under the Christmas tree by my wife.

On the 27th, I'll be going to Big Bend Nat'l Park w/ my Boy Scout Venture crew and give the pack (along w/ my other new gear) a test run. I expect the Outer Mountain Loop trail will be a sufficient test for the pack and other gear (Z-packs Hexamid Solo Plus tent, Zelph's Fancee Feast alcohol stove, etc). My base packweight should be fairly light. Unfortunately, I'll have to start the hike w/ 2 gal of water (downside of desert hiking). We'll see how the pack rides.

Updates to follow the hike...

OzJacko
12-21-2012, 09:56
You should love it!
I used the Circuit last year on the Bib Track and my son is using it in 2013 for our thru hike and I have a new Catalyst.
For hot weather hiking the access to the water bottles is fantastic (I don't like water bladders) but you will need to practice a little with loosening and tightening the cord without taking the pack off.
I used the shoulder strap cords on one side for a 600ml water bottle for quick and easy sips (get a plastic bottle with "ridges" for the cord to get purchase on) and the other shoulder strap cords were for my bucket hat and my buff when not wearing them.
My only negative is that it does not carry a heavy load well.
It will MAKE you watch your pack weight and first day after resupply is a b###h. I suspect this is true of all packs though.

MuddyWaters
12-21-2012, 11:46
If you bring the fancy feast stove you be in violation of BSA policies.

"Prohibited Chemical-Fueled Equipment—Equipment
that is handcrafted, homemade, modified, or installed
beyond the manufacturer’s stated design limitations
or use. Examples include alcohol-burning “can” stoves,
smudge pots, improperly installed heaters, and propane
burners with their regulators removed."

While alcohol is discouraged, not banned. These types of stoves are banned. A stove such as the Trangia, is not.
The line has to be drawn somewhere, and this is where it is.
Inference is that a commercially produced and mass marketed stove would be inherentely safer. Not necessarily true, but the regs are what they are.

colorado_rob
12-21-2012, 12:22

While alcohol is discouraged, not banned. These types of stoves are banned. A stove such as the Trangia, is not.
Inference is that a commercially produced and mass marketed stove would be inherentely safer. Not necessarily true, but the regs are what they are. Little confused on the post content there Muddy????

I, too, bought a circuit. And an ohm 2.0. So I could compare side-by-side. Toughest choice I ever made on which of the two packs to keep. These are truly excellent packs, and I couldn't be happier. I walked around for hours with each of them filled to 25 pounds, including 10 pounds of food, 15 of actual gear, packed just like a real outing. I found the circuit to be ever so slightly more comfortable at that full 25 pounds of weight. But down at 20 pounds (removing 5 pounds of food), I could no longer tell the difference.

Anyway, great product, excellent customer service, free shipping (well, up until yesterday, the 20th), no sales tax. Very quick responses when I emailed questions to ULA. +1 on these excellent packs, and thanks for those folks on here that made recommendations for them!

colorado_rob
12-21-2012, 12:24
woops... I see now, Muddy. sorry...

Magic_Rat
12-21-2012, 18:37
I'll look forward to your post-trip feedback. This #1 on my list so far for my '13 thru.

Magic_Rat
12-21-2012, 18:38
Sorry, meant to say "This pack is #1...". Is there a way to edit posts?

MuddyWaters
12-21-2012, 18:50
You should love it!
I used the Circuit last year on the Bib Track and my son is using it in 2013 for our thru hike and I have a new Catalyst.
For hot weather hiking the access to the water bottles is fantastic (I don't like water bladders) but you will need to practice a little with loosening and tightening the cord without taking the pack off.
I used the shoulder strap cords on one side for a 600ml water bottle for quick and easy sips (get a plastic bottle with "ridges" for the cord to get purchase on) and the other shoulder strap cords were for my bucket hat and my buff when not wearing them.
My only negative is that it does not carry a heavy load well.
It will MAKE you watch your pack weight and first day after resupply is a b###h. I suspect this is true of all packs though.

Your post is a bit of an outlier, because most think the circuit carries a heavy load very well.
May depend on your definition of "heavy"
Mine is 25-30 lbs. Its only rated for up to 35, and typically that would be pushing it.
Ive tested my circuit with up to 42 lbs, and still found it could keep wt off shoulders at 42.
A lot depends on torso length, and where you wear your belt. and the ULA stated sizes are a bit small actually. At 19.5" in my medium, its borderline too small. But the Large may be too big.

CarlZ993
12-21-2012, 19:35

Inference is that a commercially produced and mass marketed stove would be inherentely safer. Not necessarily true, but the regs are what they are.
Our group is taking a canister stove (MSR Reactor). I'm just carrying what I'll be taking on the AT. Don't plan on using it.

OzJacko
12-21-2012, 19:41
Your post is a bit of an outlier, because most think the circuit carries a heavy load very well.
May depend on your definition of "heavy"
Mine is 25-30 lbs. Its only rated for up to 35, and typically that would be pushing it.
Ive tested my circuit with up to 42 lbs, and still found it could keep wt off shoulders at 42.
A lot depends on torso length, and where you wear your belt. and the ULA stated sizes are a bit small actually. At 19.5" in my medium, its borderline too small. But the Large may be too big.
LOL
In my area "heavy" is over 50 lbs for most.
I carried 13-16 kgs but did have it up to 20 kgs. (2.2lbs per kg I think).
Comfort goes at about 16kgs I found.
Within specs of ULA info.

MuddyWaters
12-21-2012, 20:44
Id agree with that.
The circuits ratings are spot-on
Some mfg are dreaming when they state an upper limit
depends on idea of acceptable though
my idea of it, is the point where you really would prefer a different pack

OzJacko
12-22-2012, 02:35
Id agree with that.
The circuits ratings are spot-on
Some mfg are dreaming when they state an upper limit
depends on idea of acceptable though
my idea of it, is the point where you really would prefer a different pack
Yeah that's my take on it.
Pack is everything ULA claim.
I bought the Catalyst as a second pack more to have one pack capable of more bulk rather than weight.
JMT and obligatory bear canister on wish list.
If I was a water bladder user I might look at other packs but I use a garbage bag liner and have a "no liquids in the pack" rule so I like the large pockets on the ULA packs where I can carry lots of water bottles, fuel and anything else liquid.
The hip belt pockets are also a huge win for me and as stated above the hat, buff etc are all at hand.
Sun protection is a big factor down here but when in shade it's nice to have somewhere to put the hat.

mediauras
12-22-2012, 12:18
That Big Bend hike is amazing, the views out over the desert from the top is absolutely stunning. WEll worth the brutal hike up with all that water (we did it in a hot May many years ago, winter is such a better time to go). Enjoy!

CarlZ993
12-22-2012, 14:15
That Big Bend hike is amazing, the views out over the desert from the top is absolutely stunning. WEll worth the brutal hike up with all that water (we did it in a hot May many years ago, winter is such a better time to go). Enjoy!

I agree. I've done it several times in the past. Last Nov (2011), I blitzed it in 2 days (camped @ Fresno Creek... which was dry). I was pretty tired when I finished. This time, I'm planning to camp in the Dodson zone, Blue Creek Zone (after resupplying w/ water), and SW-3 up on the Rim (best campsite view in the park) and then out.

Deadpete
12-28-2012, 15:05
A Circuit user gave me this advice, and I use it with mine.. get the tall 1L SmartWater water bottles. Each side pocket can easily hold two, they're amazingly easy to grab AND put back while hiking at full speed WITH a pole strapped to your wrist, and there is NO adjusting of the pocket tightener strap if you use these.

stranger
12-31-2012, 16:43
Consider tossing the aluminum stay, once I did the pack became far more attractive on my back

CarlZ993
01-02-2013, 15:41
Got back from Big Bend Nat'l Park. Did a 4-day hike along the Outer Mountain Loop and the S. Rim. First time using the Circuit w/ a load. Even w/ 2 gal of water w/ the rest of my gear, I was surprised how well it carried. That impressed me. The shoulder straps (standard) felt like it didn't quite fit in the 'sweet spot' on my shoulders. Don't know if that will improve over time. This is the first pack I've owned that had a roll-top closure at the top. So far, I'm luke-warm about that feature. The front stretch pocket separated from the top binding. I didn't feel like I had too many items in the pocket (snacks, F/A Kit, pack cover, TP, etc). That's disappointing. I've got an email into ULA about that problem. Hopefully, that can be fixed and the pack replaced before my hike.

dornstar
01-06-2013, 15:34
Consider tossing the aluminum stay, once I did the pack became far more attractive on my back
Gonna have to give that a try this weekend.

Anyone else ditch it?

CarlZ993
01-06-2013, 17:32
Called up ULA and explained the problem to them (front stretch mesh pocket separating from the top webbing). . They sent me a pre-paid UPS shipping label (pdf file via email). ULA said that problem happens sometimes. They said that they may have to make that border webbing a little wider. Anyway, I shipped it back yesterday. Should get it back in plenty of time to do some more hikes with it.

stranger
01-07-2013, 06:33
Gonna have to give that a try this weekend.

Anyone else ditch it?

ULA has a terrible prebend in their stays...regardless I'm an ex pro pack fitter so just bent it up to me but still wasn't happy, tried a few more bends then ditched it...really happy now.

The fiberglass struts are more than rigid enough to support 25lbs, dont NEED the stay in my view. its a great little pack, it has grown on me over the years (and I've used dozens).