PDA

View Full Version : Hexamid Solo Plus Tent

SnowFrog
12-21-2012, 13:56
I have used the Hexamid Solo Plus tent by Zpacks for my last several hikes. The low weight and quick set-times are great, however, I have had trouble with my sleeping bag getting wet at night from dew condesation. The tent walls are so low at the ends that my sleeping bag at the head bumps into the damp tent. Any thoughts on a fix?
Thanks,
SnowFrog, NOBO 2013

lukabrazi
12-21-2012, 19:08
Just curious, how tall are you?

RodentWhisperer
12-21-2012, 19:14
Just curious, how tall are you?

That's my question, too, lukabrazi.

Cary75
12-21-2012, 20:37
I believe it replaces the need for a ground cloth too.

MuddyWaters
12-21-2012, 22:52
You might need to lengthen your pole a bit, or put a rock under it to keep it from sinking in ground.

If that doesnt work, put sticks under the end tie-out lines to lift the ends up a bit.

And try not to move around

Joe does have a "tall" version now btw, that uses small poles under end guy outs as well.

grayfox
12-22-2012, 02:59
My tarp often sags on the ends. I sometimes can prop it up with my empty pack just enough to keep it off the sleeping bag. Once I had a little bush growing just where I wanted to put the tarp so I just let the tarp lay over it and it gave me a bit of height. I have also added small loops on top that help guy out the tarp. I don't know if any of these will help with your tent but usually there is a way to make it better, you just have to come up with a solution that doesn't add weight and bulk to your tent.

SnowFrog
12-22-2012, 11:18
I am 6 Ft tall.

SnowFrog
12-22-2012, 11:19
Thanks for the good ideas!

SnowFrog
12-22-2012, 11:21
Thanks for your thoughts!

RodentWhisperer
12-22-2012, 13:56
I am 6 Ft tall.

Getting some condensation on your bag makes some sense, if you use a long bag. I believe ZPacks begun making some long Hexamids, which are meant to keep long bags from touching the cuben shell. If you've not done so, you might want to look into that option. Generally, condensation can be minimized by maintaining ventilation; that might mean having to keep the beak high.

lukabrazi
12-23-2012, 07:28
I know they added the beak option but I'm not sure about length. I'm 6'1" and have been eyeing this tarp up for some time so I'm really interested in finding a solution here. Does yours have the netting? Is that what your sleeping bag is touching?

q-tip
12-23-2012, 11:51
I have a Wild Oasis tarp-I have the same problem. I was in a three day rain storm and my down bag got soaked. I have tried evrything imagineable, nothing seems to work on the condensation (the WO has a bug netting that when wet does not breathe-hence-lots more condensation.). The fix for me is to put sticks at all the guy outs to raise up the tarp 5"-6"-- and I am buying a Terra Rosa tyvek bag cover to keep my bag dry. All this saves me 10 0z. over my TT Contrail-kind of a pain for all the effort, but I do like the lighter weight.....

MuddyWaters
12-23-2012, 13:16
Some will put their rainjacket over the foot of their bag
worst case, 0.5 oz of mylar spaceblanket can provide a lot of protection
ventillation, ventillation, ventillation.

SnowFrog
12-23-2012, 13:18
My tent does have the netting, however it does not touch the sleeping bag. I believe propping up the ends of the tent will be the best solution.

lukabrazi
12-27-2012, 11:26
I had been thinking about the Hexamid Solo Plus w/ Beak (no netting) and then the Z Packs Pertex Quantum Bivy. Then I have the flexibility to just take the tarp when the weather looks decent and it's not bug season. This bivy weighs 6.3 ounces and would replace the 3.3 ounce ground sheet. Because it replaces the ground sheet and bug netting it is actually a lighter option, provides flexibility, and would take care of the wet sleeping bag problem.