PDA

View Full Version : ANyone tried Sawyer Squeeze filter?

JoshAuerbach
12-21-2012, 14:34
Has anyone tried the Sawyer Squeeze water filtration system that has anything good or bad to say about it? Thinking about getting it.

solobip
12-21-2012, 16:38
I love it. I have heard the bags are not as durable as many would like, I have not had an issue yet. I used to use the Katadyn hiker pump, loved it too, but wanted a lighter, smaller option and at 3 oz, this did the trick. I have not encountered mini puddles yet like you do in dry summers, but heard you can use an ear bulb or a dipper cup to pour into the bag. I was impressed with the SSWF

Hairbear
12-21-2012, 19:44
i switched from the mini hiker to the sawyer.,the sawyer is lighter.i use a platy bag as a dirty bag instead of the sawyer bag.i like it for the weight.there are some things i miss with the min hiker.i miss being able to stand upright to fill the bottles.the flow on the mini h is faster,but you have to hang onto alot while pumping.over all im glad i switched.

forrest!
12-22-2012, 07:07
I just used it on a week-long trip in the Smokies. The bladder drove me nuts. You cannot submerge it like a water bottle and have it fill up. You need flowing water or dripping water to fill the bladder, or dip some other container and then pour it into the bladder.

On the first day a white plastic washer came out of the filter/bladder connection and I could not get it back in so it would stay. That connection leaked for the rest of the trip.

The only stable way I found to actually use it was to hold the water bottle being filled between my legs, grasp the bladder with both hands and squeeze. There is still a danger of dripping water somewhere it doesn't belong (not fun in December).

The only good thing was that I could fill the big bladder in camp in the evening and filter that water as I needed it. But I could do that with any system.

So I wasn't too happy with it, and cursed it for the first 2 or 3 days. After that I got used to it and it's quirks and it wasn't so bad. I had been using Aqua Mira, which, except for the wait, is trivial to use.

Sam

Turk6177
12-22-2012, 11:21
I have not put it to field use yet, but I have purchased and tested one. I really like it. It screws onto platypus water containers as well. Regarding Forest's evaluation, I usually carry an empty Gatorade bottle and use that to fill all my water containers. I keep the gatorade bottle full and strapped to my backpack strap in the front for easy access to drink. I may have to reconsider how I use that bottle in the future since it will be "contaminated" when I use it to fill my other containers. I am still working out the logistics for how I want to do that.

Duramax22
12-22-2012, 11:49
its great been using one for a year now.

Bags4266
12-22-2012, 13:36
I used Aq. Mira then tried the SS. I like the squeeze if hiking with more than just me. Other than that its slightly more of a hassle.