PDA

View Full Version : Tenting in Strong Winds

JetLag
12-21-2012, 20:09
Am watching the weather forecast for tonite which calls for wind gusts of 55 MPH in the Shenendoah Park. Am interested in getting some advice on how one might fair in a typical solo tent in these conditions. In particular, tips for erecting and keeping tent erected in these conditions. Thanks.
nks.

swjohnsey
12-21-2012, 20:18
Try to find a sheltered spot. Foot of the tent into wind. A few stakes in place to hold the tent in place while erecting.

Don H
12-21-2012, 20:20
Pick a sheltered location. Stay down in a valley and off the ridges. Pitch down wind anything that will block the wind like thick brush or rock outcroppings.
Don't pitch below dead trees and limbs. You should look up before pitching all the time, not just when it's windy.
Some tents have points for additional tie outs, carry extra line and pegs fro these.

You ain't lived until you spend the night in a tent during a tornado with lightning and trees crashing down around you!

ChinMusic
12-21-2012, 21:28
You ain't lived until you spend the night in a tent during a tornado with lightning and trees crashing down around you!

Just had that happen to me this Wednesday evening on the Ozark Highlands Trail. I had pulled up a weather forecast from a rare cell signal while at a high point mid day Wed. It called for thunderstorms and a winter storm north of us. It left me wondering how bad it might be.

We selected a low campsite near a creek. I was a bit concerned with this V-shaped valley but felt we were high enough that a flash flood would not get us. We did plan a route of escape should the waters fool us. Turns out the creek only rised about 4 inches over night. I double-staked my key points and placed a decent-sized rock over them. The ground was fairly loose so I felt it was needed.

About 10 or 11 pm the fun started. First with flashes of lightning in the distance, no thunder. Then it got close enough to hear the thunder. The winds picked up and the rain poured. It was a real cool light show. Then the tell-tale sounds of trees breaking came, along with the thud of them hitting the ground. I swear I felt the ground shake at one point. Nothing to do but cross your fingers.

My finger-crossing worked out.

10-K
12-21-2012, 21:47
My favorite kind of camping. The colder the better!

atmilkman
12-21-2012, 22:21
Ain't that the truth.18516

fiddlehead
12-21-2012, 22:58
Over 50 mph is tough. But do-able. Up to 60 or 70 anyway.
After that, just drop the tent and use it to cover yourself, best you can.

Put rocks over your tent stakes if available. Or stake out to strong trees if possible.
I've had 2 occasions where I staked it out good enough, but the winds got so strong that it just bent the tent pole/trekking pole.
That's when you know you should've dropped the tent and covered up.

But yes, location can be important. (one of these times was in the desert in southern CA and the other in France in an open area.)

Check for widow makers, get behind some smaller fir or pine trees if possible.
Put in earplugs. Try to sleep.
Good luck.

stumpknocker
12-22-2012, 05:58
Check for widow makers, get behind some smaller fir or pine trees if possible.
Put in earplugs. Try to sleep.
Good luck.

This is excellent advice....even healthy looking large trees get blown over or large, live branches break off. Had it happen and was lucky it only ruined a tent and not me.

Location, thick clump of smaller trees or some natural wind break and mp3 with classic Grateful Dead and I sleep like a baby. :)

kayak karl
12-22-2012, 07:50
they are right,
Location, Location, Location :)

Tipi Walter
12-22-2012, 10:14
About 10 or 11 pm the fun started. First with flashes of lightning in the distance, no thunder. Then it got close enough to hear the thunder. The winds picked up and the rain poured. It was a real cool light show. Then the tell-tale sounds of trees breaking came, along with the thud of them hitting the ground. I swear I felt the ground shake at one point. Nothing to do but cross your fingers.

My finger-crossing worked out.

It's funny you should mention your storm as I was out in middle December on top of a 5,300 foot open bald and got walloped in the same kind of storm. My buddy was camping nearby and I wrote up this trip report of the event---

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/137756.html

Drybones
12-22-2012, 10:24

Did that last year, spent the first night in a low bottom area, the second night in Cheaha Falls shelter to let things dry out before packing up the next day, had the TT Double Rainbow set up in the shelter to dry as I slept outside it, the high winds started picking the tent up and banging it against the walls, moved inside it to keep it from blowing away, before I could close the fly zipper I got drenched with a horizonal rain hitting the back of the shelter walls, once I settled in I slept great, always do in storms.

Recommend the OP use 8" stakes, that makes a big difference especially when the ground gets soaked.

DeerPath
12-22-2012, 14:48
FYI: I was selling the timber off my property next to G. Richard Thompson WMA at Linden, VA a few year ago, and the logger told me never to set a tent up under a Poplar Tree because the the limbs are so heavy they will come straight down rather than blow away from the tree.

Tim Causa
12-26-2012, 05:31
Don't guy line to trees you'll only ruin your tent. Do guy line, and set them facing I to the wind. On my tent, that's actually on the head side only (copper spur). What tent do you have? I had my copper spur set up in 55 mph gusts and didn't even guy and had no issues. Just make sure everything is taught (pitch of tent and fly), stakes are firmly driven, and you are looking all over the sky for widow makers.

Personally, I don't use earplugs for storms. If winds are strong enough to knock something down, I want to hear it. If trees start falling left and right because of wet soil and shallow roots, the coroner is going to see why you didn't hear it coming when he pulls the orange fuzz out of your ears.

SassyWindsor
12-26-2012, 22:05
Windy weather allows the UL hikers to test their tarps.:rolleyes: I've seen some miserable hikers who've had their tarps rip to shreds and had to endure a night of pouring rain and freezing winds, and abandon the trail at first light. You've achieved UL when you don't have to borrow from another hiker, or have to abandon the trail because of junky gear, and other hikers don't bother to borrow from you.:D