PDA

View Full Version : Tarp in Winter

mtnkngxt
12-22-2012, 07:53
Planning on laying down some miles this winter and was wondering whether there are others utilizing tarps and bivys this time of year on the AT.

My plan is to combine my MLD SoloPro Tarp with my Zpacks Solo Bathtub ground sheet and a Ti Goat Ptarmigan bivy that has the solid hood with no mesh. Will be sleeping on thermarest ridge rest and using an Enlightened Equipment 0 degree quilt and a zpacks goose down hood.

All of my hiking will be in VA on the AT or SNP backcountry.

bigcranky
12-22-2012, 10:03
I've done it successfully many times in VA and NC. I did get caught in a blizzard a few years ago under a 5x8 tarp, inside my bivy. I was warm and happy -- except I *really* had to go pee, and I couldn't open the bivy without letting a lot of snow inside my bag. I spent about 4 uncomfortable hours waiting for first light. (Yeah, pee bottle, but I didn't think ahead and put it inside my bag. The weather forecast was for rain, but the temps dropped just enough.)

Now I just use my Tarptent Moment in the winter. It's not that much heavier than my tarp and bivy combo and has a lot more protected area. Blowing snow can still get inside, but not as much.

Lyle
12-22-2012, 11:40
The tarp/bivy should be fine if you choose that route, but:

Winter nights are VERY LONG. I wouldn't be comfortable confined to a bivy, or at least I would be much MORE comfortable in an enclosed tent.

Either way, a single ridgerest will not provide enough bottom insulation. Add a cheap blue foam to whatever else you use during winter. You will be glad you did.

mtnkngxt
12-22-2012, 11:45
The tarp/bivy should be fine if you choose that route, but:

Winter nights are VERY LONG. I wouldn't be comfortable confined to a bivy, or at least I would be much MORE comfortable in an enclosed tent.

Either way, a single ridgerest will not provide enough bottom insulation. Add a cheap blue foam to whatever else you use during winter. You will be glad you did.

The confinement of the bivy doesn't bother me as I tend to pass out as soon as it gets dark and then get up before sun up and get ready to move as soon as I can see well enough to make out blazes. Will do on the blue pad though, hadn't given that much thought.

The Cleaner
12-22-2012, 11:53
I do tarp sometimes on winter.Got a Gore-Tex bivy also.The problem that I've had is with wind.During winter winds can blow from several directions or be calm at sunset and start up during sleeping hours.Since winter tents are very expensive the tarp/bivy is one way to go but may not offer proper shelter during certain weather conditions.As anyone knows who travels in winter the conditions are subject to rapid unexpected changes.Plan for the unexpected and have a plan to deal with them,ie, hike to a shelter or bail out if the weather gets bad enough....

Two Speed
12-22-2012, 13:32
More inclined to use a tarp during the winter than spring or fall due to really, really not liking dealing with bugs.

Not inclined to use a bivy. I figure the weight a bivy would cost me is better utilized for a larger tarp and ground cloth. Currently using a 8' x 10', having tried a 5' x 8' and a Oware Cat Tarp 1.5, and deciding a small tarp didn't work for me. Waaaaay too much of a PITA to cook under the smaller tarps if I'm getting any significant precip, and I like to be able to pack up while it's raining w/o exposing myself or my gear to the elements.

YMMV.

coach lou
12-22-2012, 13:52
My Tarp & Net always go, it goes up anyway I want...net keeps critters off. It always goes up different, 'cause it goes up anywhere............I can't finger out how to post the pic from my gallery:confused:

Rasty
12-22-2012, 13:56
My Tarp & Net always go, it goes up anyway I want...net keeps critters off. It always goes up different, 'cause it goes up anywhere............I can't finger out how to post the pic from my gallery:confused: This picture?

coach lou
12-22-2012, 13:57
Damn kids!