PDA

View Full Version : Microspikes

Duramax22
12-22-2012, 10:30
Heading down to thru hike the smokies the day after Christmas. The question is do I spend roughly $120 for 2 pairs of kathoola micro spikes or hope the trail is passable without?

CarlZ993
12-22-2012, 11:30
Is it too late to ask Santa Clause for a pair of Microspikes?

Personally, I'd take a pair of Microspikes or in-step crampons if I was hiking in the mountains in the winter when snowshoes weren't appropriate. I've taken them when I hiked the Grand Canyon in March (spring break) when icy/snowy trails are possible. Each, though, bad weather and trail conditions avoided us. I'd be sure to take my hiking poles w/ snow baskets as well. You need all the points of contact possible to remain upright.

I hope you enjoy your hike.

grayfox
12-22-2012, 11:32
The spikes are great if you only have to deal with ice. No shoe traction device works well in conditions where you really need snowshoes. The spikes are a good item to have in your car anyway so buying them is easy to justify. Watch the 10-day forecast on the weather channel, they are usually quite accurate. You should watch the weather just before you leave home and there's no shame in bailing if it looks too bad. In winter it is always good to be over prepared and equiped. But, if I remember the Smokies trails, the road is almost always fairly close so if you need a way out it will be fairly easy at times. Have fun, stay safe, and don't be reluctant to change your plans if mother nature dictates a change.

Duramax22
12-22-2012, 11:46
the guy that is shuttling us said there is snow there now but it supposed to be high 30's all week and cold at night so i was thinking it will probably turn into an ice trail up there. i suppose i will mention it to santa and see what he says, if not ill pick some up.

Malto
12-22-2012, 17:15
I just got back from the Smokys today and hiked the eastern part of the AT after this latest storm. Yes, all the streams that were the trail froze and there is a lot of ice but I can't imagine wanting to wear micro spikes in those conditions. While the ice slowed us down, micro spikes wouldn't have helped. (I have worn micro spikes for over 100 miles on hard snowpacks so I know a bit about them.)

ChinMusic
12-22-2012, 17:24
Microspikes are great when you need em. I carry mine in my car all winter........just in case. They are overkill for taking out the trash but sometimes come in handy with things around town/home as well.

Personally I would have em with me on a Smokies trip this time of year. As far as the cost......if you plan on making similar trips in the future it is an item you may want often.

Another Kevin
12-25-2012, 03:45
I seem to be out a fair amount in times and places where there's a lot of ice on the ground but the snow on top of it is no more than boot-deep. Snowshoes would be useless and full 10- or 12-point crampons would be overkill. So I live in microspikes in the winter.