View Full Version : Standing Indian vs Rainbow Springs

markellag
05-27-2005, 08:14
Which place is better for a backpacker to stay:
1) Standing Indian Campground
2) Rainbow Springs campground ????

Lilred
05-27-2005, 08:16
Rainbow Springs campground is closed, so the better place to stay would be Standing Indian Campground.

digger51
05-27-2005, 08:25
Standing Indian Campground is a few miles off trail. I always recommend giving a call to Ron haven at the Haven Motel in Franklin as you come off Albert Mtn. He will meet you at any of the gaps, Wallace, Rock, or Winding Stair and shuttle you into Franklin. He has a good hiker rate and nice place. He will also help you around town to the outfitter, wal or k marts, and there is a laundry and ayce buffet right behind his motel. Also a good place for resupply if you need it. But if you want to just go through without stopping, there are some nice campsites at the turnoff for Standing Indian, which is just before you start the climb up Standing Indian Mtn. Also after Standin Indian at Beech Gap and several more before you get to Wallace Gap which is where you would have turned off to go to Rainbow Springs.

stumpy
05-27-2005, 17:00
It you would like to camp just off of the trail you should stay at the summit of standing indian. It has a really nice view, and is just a few hundred yards off of the AT. It may be crowded on the weekends, as it is a short days hike from the campground.

Kerosene
06-05-2005, 14:36
I concur with stumpy; park your vehicle at the campground, take the Kimsey Creek Trail to the AT, and camp at the summit of Standing Indian. Alternatively, if the forest road up to Deep Gap is accessible you can park there.

Rain Man
06-05-2005, 15:31
... Alternatively, if the forest road up to Deep Gap is accessible you can park there.

The last I heard (last fall after the hurricane season), the forest service road up to Deep Gap was closed, with no date of expected being re-opened. Hopefully, of course, it is by now.

Check with the Forest Service itself or the Nantahala Hiking Club (they have a web site).

Rain:sunMan

Wastrel
06-05-2005, 16:24
Another really great site to campo when in that area is at Pickens Nose. It's about 3/4 mi. off of the AT to the east at Mooney Gap. The raod from the AT is open to the trailhead, except the last 100 yds., then a 15 minute hike out onto the Nose. On a clear night you can see Atlanta 60 mi. away. Bring water.

Bolivershagnasty
06-05-2005, 21:05
Mark it depends what you are doing? Are you hiking the "loop" there at Standing Indian (25 miles) or starting a section hike? ( Rainbow is CLOSED) I do that "Loop" alot but it's only good for 2 maybe 3 days if your slow at it. If your staging to get on the AT to go north towards NOC,, park at the Standing Indian camp ground by the ampa theator (?) it cost 2.00 per day but no one will break in your car. There good peeps at the camp ground, they (host) wont bother you either. Lots of retired peeps with pull campers around. I always drive up that night and stay at the rock gap shelter which is about 200 yards (South at AT) off the road that goe's up to the camp ground ( old 64). it's right at the Weslic tree trail, Which appears to be dead by the way, (go see it). Save the 15 bucks for camp sight. then get up and drive to SI to park and start. Kimsey Creek is an easy enjoyable trail that take about 1.5 /2 hrs or 3.7 miles up to deep gap, but it's easy, lots of water. Standing Indian shelter is 1 mile up from Deep Gap, says it's hard but it's not. Summit is couple hrs on N. Nice camping too. GREAT COLD SPRING water from pipe just prior to summit on left side of trial BEFORE "lower trail" about 50 ft. Map looks like it sends you onto lower trail but its not. Water is about 100 yrds down hill to left. I dont know if this helps because i dont know what your doing but that loop is nice. If you get up Standing Indian in good shape head for Carters Gap shelter about another 6 mi but its 5 mi easy grad down hill. One little push up just before you get to it, map says 500 ft gain but it's more trust me. if your beat at the bottom stay at Beech Trail head, good camping and water. Post what it is your doing up there and I may can give you better direction but I dont know what your doing, hiking or "just" camping? Deep gap rd is open I saw a truck on it last week.