PDA

View Full Version : Water Scoop

ChinMusic
12-22-2012, 18:03
I usually use my dogs water dish on trips but Mugsy will not be going with me on my '13 thru. I used a detergent scoop on one trip but it cracked quickly. I cut the bottom off a plastic soda bottle on another.

Most of the water sources I have encountered on the AT do not require a scoop but I'm sure some have.

I'm interested on what some of y'all use for those shallow water sources.

Rasty
12-22-2012, 18:26
The cup from my cookset. I Keep it near the top of my pack just in case. I have a Snowpeak Mini Solo Set. My stove and caldera cone fit inside the main pot. The cup is really useful in the morning when all I'm eating is cereal and don't have to repack the main pot with everything.

ChinMusic
12-22-2012, 18:32
I don't carry a cookset.

Rasty
12-22-2012, 18:35
You did mention that other times. I got nothing!

MuddyWaters
12-22-2012, 18:40
cook pot.

ziplock

ChinMusic
12-22-2012, 18:54
ziplock

I could see that. I usu have plenty of those on board.

Don H
12-22-2012, 18:59
Half of a disposable 12 oz. water bottle. I keep my Aqua Mira in it and keep it in a mesh stuff sack.

The Snowman
12-22-2012, 19:52
zip lock bag works well both for sallow water and drippy springs.

10-K
12-22-2012, 20:04
This: http://www.evernewamerica.com/ECA337.htm

It's carbinered to my hipbelt where I can easily reach it to scoop up a drink from a spring or creek as I hike. I also use it to scoop water for my water bottles when I need it.

G-FOURce
12-22-2012, 20:59
Buy a cheap, collapsible water bottle. Cut the top 2" off and throw it out. Round off the corners and you have a sub-1oz semi-rigid scoop.

The Cleaner
12-22-2012, 21:52
I got the MSR Hyperflow specifically for sucking water out of small puddles.I like the flat pre-filter design.Many do not use filters but I got one mainly to make it easier to just collect water.I would like to see something like just the pre-filter only to be used to siphon or collect water just to keep out dirt& other floaties out.Not worried about germs in most places...

Drybones
12-22-2012, 22:13
The cap has a fine wire faucet screen in it, cap has a hole thu it, hold your finger over the hole and scoop water, let it drain thu the cap into your bottle. Debris is filtered out, I add bleach to purify.

ChinMusic
12-22-2012, 23:22
The cap has a fine wire faucet screen in it, cap has a hole thu it, hold your finger over the hole and scoop water, let it drain thu the cap into your bottle. Debris is filtered out, I add bleach to purify.
Very nice, well done.

soulrebel
12-23-2012, 10:11
fiji water bottle, cut off bottom, i shove my bandana in the top part and filter it if i have too, it's a square bottle which allows you to scoop more up and much more rigid than a round...

10-K
12-23-2012, 10:37
I got the MSR Hyperflow specifically for sucking water out of small puddles.I like the flat pre-filter design.Many do not use filters but I got one mainly to make it easier to just collect water.I would like to see something like just the pre-filter only to be used to siphon or collect water just to keep out dirt& other floaties out.Not worried about germs in most places...

How long have you had it and do you use it often?

I've had 2. One I bought and one the one MSR sent me to replace the one I bought. The both sucked after 3-4 gallons of water and all the backflushing in the world would not restore it to even 50% of it's original output.

There's a thread on here somewhere named, "What's the worst piece of gear you ever bought?" - the Hyperflow was my contribution to that thread.

Don H
12-23-2012, 10:47

I like it!