PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg

Jcmyers78
12-23-2012, 16:26
Does anyone know of any public transportation where the AT crosses Rt. 441 in the Smokies to Gatlinburg?

Camel2012
12-23-2012, 16:39
There is a shuttle that stops there that goes from cherokee through gatlinburg and pigeon forge. I think they charged $5 no matter where you were going. They also pick back up at the front of the NOC.

That was in late April too. Not sure if that goes all year long.

SOBO_Pace
12-23-2012, 16:40
No public transportation but it was a easy hitch both ways.

Dogwood
12-23-2012, 16:53
There was shuttle service that I took some yrs back, that like Camel2012 stated, travels between Gatlinburg TN, the amusement like park of the AT, and Cherokee NC. Sorry, I do not postively recall the name of the shuttle service but it may have been Cherokee Shuttle Service. I found the name of this shuttle service and contact info from the outfitter in Gatlinburg. If you call there I'm sure they can provide contact info for the shuttle service. Personally, if you don't mind getting a ride from strangers, Newfound Gap where the AT crosses Rt 441 is a GREAT place to hitch a ride in either direction. It's equally as easy getting a ride back to Newfound Gap from Cherokee or Gatlinburg.

Old Hiker
12-23-2012, 16:58
http://www.mysmokymountaincabinrental.com/info_pages/gatlinburg_shuttle_to_cherokee.php

from: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%206-7-11.pdf

Page 4 of 14
Cherokee Transit
(866) 388-6071 toll-free
(828) 497-5296
www.cherokeetransit.com - web site not working
Shuttle service between Gatlinburg, TN to
Cherokee NC through Great Smoky
Mountains National Park, with stop along
A.T./Newfound Gap on US 441 and other
trailheads on 441. March, April and
October, service is 2 times a day, Tues.-
Sat.; May-Sept., 4 times/day, 7 days/week.
$5.00 per trip; cash or traveler’s checks
only. Flag-down service available.

I used the Cherokee Transit - it was great. Good luck.

Jcmyers78
12-23-2012, 17:05
http://www.mysmokymountaincabinrental.com/info_pages/gatlinburg_shuttle_to_cherokee.php

from: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%206-7-11.pdf

Page 4 of 14
Cherokee Transit
(866) 388-6071 (tel:(866) 388-6071) toll-free
(828) 497-5296 (tel:(828) 497-5296)
www.cherokeetransit.com (http://www.cherokeetransit.com) - web site not working
Shuttle service between Gatlinburg, TN to
Cherokee NC through Great Smoky
Mountains National Park, with stop along
A.T./Newfound Gap on US 441 and other
trailheads on 441. March, April and
October, service is 2 times a day, Tues.-
Sat.; May-Sept., 4 times/day, 7 days/week.
$5.00 per trip; cash or traveler’s checks
only. Flag-down service available.

I used the Cherokee Transit - it was great. Good luck.

Thank you. I spoke with the Cherokee Transit. They said they no longer run that route.

Jcmyers78
12-23-2012, 17:06
Good idea to call the outfitter. I will try that. Thanks

Slo-go'en
12-23-2012, 17:50
Thank you. I spoke with the Cherokee Transit. They said they no longer run that route.

Note that it only runs March through October. Hopefully that's what they ment, not that it's gone all together.

mrcoffeect
12-23-2012, 17:53
the nice lady working behind the front desk of the grand prix hotel knew a few local shuttlers and arranged one for us. try calling there?

Praha4
12-23-2012, 18:19
last I had heard, NOC had discontinued their Gatlinburg-Newfound Gap shuttle service, which is a shame.

you can usually hitch a ride into Gatlinburg from Newfound Gap, or call a local shuttle service.

Lone Wolf
12-23-2012, 20:22
Does anyone know of any public transportation where the AT crosses Rt. 441 in the Smokies to Gatlinburg?

it's an easy hitch. no need to pay for transportation

Slo-go'en
12-23-2012, 20:44
it's an easy hitch. no need to pay for transportation

I must look like an axe murder or something, as I always have a hard time getting a ride. The last time I tried to hitch from Gatlinburg to NFG I was there for over an hour and watched at least a 100 cars go by. Finally the shuttle came by and pulled over. I gladly gave the driver 5 bucks. I was the only rider, so I can see why they must have dropped the service.

Dogwood
12-23-2012, 22:53
When I used Cherokee Transit shuttle service last, which was about five years ago, they obviously wanted to make the trip with several fares as they were charging very nominal fares which barely paid for the fuel to get from Gatlinburg to Cherokee or vice versa, never mind paying the driver for his or her labor or the ware and tear on a vehicle. Obviously, they offered this service not to get wealthy but more so to assist hikers and those traveling between the two towns. I do recall being offered three or so possible shuttler's ph numbers by the kind folks at Southern Outfitters in Gatlinburg adjacent to Rt 441 just as entering Gatlinburg from Newfound Gap. I remember a bulletin board there inside or outside the outfitters with several more possible shuttler's ph numbers. These shuttlers may, OR MAY NOT, work on a seasonal basis. You might also contact Smoky Mountain Outfitters in Gatlinburg to see what they can do for you.

Seeing that the original poster(OP) is from Iowa and new to WhiteBlaze(WB), and may not understand what it's like at Newfound Gap or be aware of the GREAT trail hospitality of folks in the southeastern U.S. associated with the AT, let me follow up with the hitch-hiking idea. At Newfound Gap are large parking lots where MANY folks especially tourists, but also a great many locals traveling between the two towns stop for sweeping views of Great Smoky Mountains National Park(GSMNP). Rt 441 is the main(only?) bisecting road through GSMNP. It is well traveled in typical hiking season and during the fall when leaf peeping season is in progress or when it's not closed due to heavy snowy winter weather. There is even a large stone monument there called the Rockerfeller Monument where President Franklin D. Roosevelt made a speech dedictating the area as a National Park. Newfound Gap is one of, if not the, most popular place in GSMNP visited by motor vehicles! What others and myself are saying is that this doesn't have to be a typical stick your thumb out on the side of a busy road type hitch into town. You, as a hiker, can strike up a conversation with potential rides so they, AND YOU, can ascertain the safety of such potential rides. Really, the folks in NC and TN associated with the AT are some of the kindest generous trail supporters I've ever met! There is A LOT of hiker support for the entire AT. That's one of the reasons why people call it a sociable trail.

Southern Outfitters (865)436-6869
Smoky Mountain Outdoors (800)775-7238

SOBO_Pace
12-24-2012, 11:22
As many people have stayed to just ask people in the lot. I found that making a sign on the bottom of your sleeping pad really helps mine simply said AT Thru Hiker and often times people would turn around to get me sometimes people were even going the opposite direction. Both of my rides to and from gatlinburg the drivers turned around and picked.me up. One was in a Porsche :)

slowfeet
12-25-2012, 18:07
NOC - cancelled as far as I know
$5 public shuttle- cancelled, not enough funding. Cancelled for good AFAIK
Grand Prix Shuttle- wanted $65...... $45 if staying at Gran Prix motel

if weather is good, a hitch in and out shouldn't be difficult.

Jcmyers78
12-26-2012, 19:55
Thank you for all the information.

mrcoffeect
12-27-2012, 11:11
the gentleman that picked us up at the grand prix had a pick up truck , he brought eight of us back to the trail, and if i recall correctly we each gave him a five for the ride. I thought that was more than resonable.