PDA

View Full Version : First Timer. Looking for 4-5 day ending at Harpers Ferry.

shanem12
12-23-2012, 16:45
My buddies and I are planning a short, few day hike for our first time and we thought ending at Harpers Ferry would be good. We are from CT so I figured we can drive to the Amtrak in DC and leave my car so we can take the train back from Harpers Ferry. Judging by average speed, I though that Front Royal was a good place to start. But as a Newbie, I have no idea how to get there. I assume most people try to leave their car at the end. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get to my start? Maybe their is somewhere better to start? Thanks, Shane

johnnybgood
12-23-2012, 17:14
It's 54 miles from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry, so averaging 10 miles a day is very doable assuming 5 days to hike it.

The Teahorse Hostel in Harpers Ferry is a highly suggested shuttler to get you to your start. www.teahorsehostel.com (http://www.teahorsehostel.com)

Cookerhiker
12-23-2012, 22:38
Since you're driving anyway, why not drive to Harpers Ferry, leave your car at the Park Service lot, and get a shuttle either south to Shenandoah or north to Rt. 16 Waysnesboro.

Tim Causa
12-26-2012, 04:56
I live in this area and hike these sections all the time. While I love front royal to harpers ferry, there are a ton of puds (pointless ups and downs) and only a few decent overlooks. From pa to md is a smoother grade, has a variety of campsites and shelters to use, and passes by two parks with water spigots for speedy breaks.

I think the key point in this suggestion is because if your group is to continue backing, you start out with a good benefit/reward ratio. Lots more views than killer climbs - variety of scenery - easy access to resupply considering a ling first hike, etc. In addition, I just really like that section; it's beautiful.

When are you guys going? I was planning on doing this section again soon and could carpool; I go ultralight though and do it in 2 days.

FYI, be nice to atc staff in harpers ferry during in season and they will tell you where to park.

Tim Causa
12-26-2012, 04:58
In the hospital all doped up, amazed and my current writing capabilities.....

dmperkins74
12-26-2012, 21:58
I live in the area and am on the AT shuttle list at appalachiantrail.org ([email protected]; see the parking and transportation page here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation)). I can definitely agree with the above encouragements that you want to come from the north. Most of my shuttles are from HF to Pen Mar for a 3 or so day hike. It's a MUCH more rewarding hike and is the area that I started hiking when I became enamored with the AT.

dmperkins74
12-26-2012, 22:14
I live in the area and am on the AT shuttle list at appalachiantrail.org ([email protected]; see the parking and transportation page here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation)). I can definitely agree with the above encouragements that you want to come from the north. Most of my shuttles are from HF to Pen Mar for a 3 or so day hike. It's a MUCH more rewarding hike and is the area that I started hiking when I became enamored with the AT.

correction, that was [email protected]. Happy Holidays and Safe Hiking :)
dp

shelb
12-26-2012, 22:19
My first section of the AT was Harpers to PennMar (left vehicle in PennMar & was shuttled to HF to begin hike).

This was an AWESOME section to hike with many great views! My sons (then 10 & 12 years old) and I did it in 5 days/4 nights. We could have done it in less time, but we took our time and went with what we had planned because I was not sure how us "flat-landers" would handle hiking in the mountains.

MDSection12
12-27-2012, 09:27
+1

To doing the MD section... If nothing else you can say you've done a whole state. I've done it a few times, most recently in two days. Definitely go South though... That way you can grab a beer and a burger in Harper's Ferry to celebrate! :D

Papa D
12-27-2012, 09:31
See if you can work Blackburn Trail Center Hostel into the mix - - it's about 12 miles south of Harpers Ferry - - easy walking - - it could be your first or last night out.

shanem12
12-31-2012, 20:41
Thanks guys, this has all been so helpful. I will likely now go from PennMar to Harpers Ferry. We were looking at the last week in March. What do you think? How cold will the nights be?

N9ZSY
12-31-2012, 21:07
Thanks for this thread... I will be doing something similar in June with four youths and three adults... We'll be taking Amtrak from Indiana to HF and going from there... Probably four nights... This post has helped on the start of logistics planning...

Thanks again...

JC
IN

Cookerhiker
12-31-2012, 23:23
Thanks guys, this has all been so helpful. I will likely now go from PennMar to Harpers Ferry. We were looking at the last week in March. What do you think? How cold will the nights be?

I think the norm for overnight temps would be the low-mid 30s but I'd prepare for the 20s - keep an eye on the forecast as your time approaches. Since the AT is not at a high elevation in that stretch, the trail temps would be very close to the forecast for Hagerstown or Frederick.