PDA

View Full Version : What is better AT, CDT, or PCT?

TheYoungOne
12-24-2012, 13:17
I don't want to start any "trail wars" but say you had unlimited resources and you had to choose to thru hike one trail, which one would it be?

Rasty
12-24-2012, 13:19
PCT for me. The Te Araroa wasn't listed.
http://www.teararoa.org.nz/

snowblind
12-24-2012, 13:23
Unlimited resources you say? Why limit yourself to the states...

TheYoungOne
12-24-2012, 13:41
Unlimited resources you say? Why limit yourself to the states...

Damn I didn't think about other trails outside of the states. Let's say you definately want to hike one of the long distance trails in the USA, I just curious which one would be better overall. However if you guys want to throw out dream hikes on long distance trails outside of the USA, be my guest. We can all dream.

Malto
12-24-2012, 14:17
You might want to be a bit more specific about what you are trying to get out of your trip.

10-K
12-24-2012, 14:31
...and how much experience this hypothetical hiker has...

Dogwood
12-24-2012, 15:38
Everyone is different The Young One so what's right or "better" for one hiker may not be right or "better" for another hiker.

Personally, I wouldn't define any of the Triple Crown trails as better than another. I think it's fairer or more accurate to say they are each different and each one has it's own characteristics including possible pros, cons, similiarities, and differences. Lastly, I've never, and will never, solely judge any of the TC trails or any trail based on my resources whether my resources be unlimited or not.

MuddyWaters
12-24-2012, 16:25
Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry.
Which one is better?

Sometimes they complement each other.

Don H
12-24-2012, 17:46
A Triple would be "Best"

fcoulter
12-24-2012, 17:47
It would be more interesting to list the comparative strengths and weaknesses of the trails.

Spirit Walker
12-24-2012, 19:00
AT: most social trail, strong community, lots of wildflowers and wildlife, easiest for an inexperienced hiker, least wild, very frequent contact with civilization (which is both a plus and a minus), more of a party crowd than the other two, long green tunnel, long stretches with no views, cold at both ends and hot and humid in the middle.

PCT: has some really beautiful sections, some really boring ones, well graded trail so it's easy to do big miles, very long dry sections which require you to do big miles and carry a lot of water, snow travel and serious river crossings, heat, great trail angels, many hikers but a less cohesive community than the AT, a surprising number of horses/bikes/motorbikes, desert flowers, possibility of a very wet final month on the trail,

CDT: most beautiful of the three trails (IMHO), most difficult, fewest hikers so if you go solo you may end up spending significant time alone, weather is generally a bigger deal than on the other trails, so is navigation, most freedom to create your own route, abundant wildlife (as the McVeighs said in their video, "We saw more wildlife in the first week than we saw on the entire PCT." Still true.) Water and snow can be an issue. Flexibility is a necessity.

I loved my hikes on all three trails. I've done the AT and CDT twice, and attempted a second thru of the PCT which ended after my husband got injured. I would do the CDT again in a heartbeat. But I really wouldn't recommend it for anyone without long distance hiking experience.

HooKooDooKu
12-24-2012, 19:06
Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry.
Which one is better?

Sometimes they complement each other.

Gets my vote for "Best Response".

Pretty much sums up any contribution to the discussion I could make.

map man
12-24-2012, 19:24
I'm not going to respond to the question in your title (which is "best"?) but to the question in the text (which one would YOU choose to thru-hike?). I'd hike the AT, because resupply is easier. If my "unlimited resources" mean I can hire people to meet me at road crossings with my supplies;), then I would pick the PCT -- a lot less rain than the AT and a lot less road walking than the CDT.

mfleming
12-24-2012, 20:40
PCT: hands down winner, end of discussion :).

Sly
12-24-2012, 20:46
I pretty much agree with everything Spirit Walker said and like the CDT the most, but the other two are great in their own right.

coolness
12-24-2012, 20:48
I've only hiked sections of the AT so far...... :( But I'd like to hike all three!! Seeing small clips of Mile.... Mile and a Half, I'd love to hike the John Muir Trail.

Sly
12-24-2012, 20:50
I would pick the PCT -- a lot less rain than the AT and a lot less road walking than the CDT.

Perhaps more road walking, which I think sucks, but the CDT probably has more "trail" than the PCT to make up for it.

xokie
12-24-2012, 21:10
As a person on the verge of old I am no longer fond of the rock scrambles on the AT. The horses, their people and bear canisters are annoying on the PCT. Haven't touched the CDT yet. All in all hiking is better than not hiking.

mtnkngxt
12-24-2012, 22:59
AT if you want to stay fat, happy, and/or stoned.
PCT for the views and big miles.
CDT for when you want an actual adventure and bear spray.

Astro
12-24-2012, 23:34
If not having completed any of the three yet, I would start with the AT and go from there (which I am doing).

Different Socks
12-25-2012, 00:24
American Discovery Trail--both ways

T.S.Kobzol
12-25-2012, 00:38
If money was no object I'd stay on Via Alpina until I finished all 5 legs of it. That would take at least 3 years.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

neighbor dave
12-25-2012, 09:20
"unlimited resources"?
could you spare a few million??

garlic08
12-25-2012, 09:53
Asking a Triple Crown hiker which is his/her favorite trail is probably like asking a parent which is his/her favorite child.

Last summer, after many seasons of long distance hiking, I took off on a X-C bicycle tour. When I completed that, I got a lot of "so which do you like better, hiking or biking?" I couldn't answer that one, either.

garlic08
12-25-2012, 10:01
Some hikers, me included, think their first long trail was most difficult, and their latest long trail was the most enjoyable. From that I deduce that experience has a lot to do with one's perspective of a hike.

Here's a well-done comparison of the three trails: 18587

q-tip
12-25-2012, 13:48
How about the JMT????????????????????????

BrianLe
12-26-2012, 00:33
"How about the JMT????????????????????????"

You do most of that as a small subset of the PCT, so not really in the same category.

I like the PCT best. Has much of the social and support aspects of the AT with much more in the way of variety of flora and fauna and landscape and much, much (much) more in the way of views. It also has continuous easy-to-follow trail so navigation is nearly as easy as the AT. Yet it doesn't kick your butt as hard and continuously as the CDT does. I wouldn't ever suggest that a person make the CDT their first thru-hike (though on occasion someone does), but I think the PCT is a fine choice for a "first long trail" --- that's how I did it, anyway. You can't know if you'll want to do more than one (or even all of one), so why not start with the best one?

Each trail has its advantages, but I think the PCT is the winner as a balance between risk+pain versus reward. In fact, I don't think the PCT is that much harder or more risky than the AT overall, so long as you have some basic skills, some basic common sense, and a bit of preparation.

handlebar
12-26-2012, 00:52
+1 to Gadget's post. I tell everyone that when I do one of the three again, it will be the PCT. Hopefully, I can get my grandsons to join me and carry my food.

That said, for anyone thinking of a first long distance hike, I'd say either the PCT or AT.

TheYoungOne
12-26-2012, 10:09
How about the JMT????????????????????????

The cool thing I like about John Muir is its a long distance trail you can complete without the long term commitment of the AT, PCT, and CDT. Its definately on my bucket list and very doable for me to complete. I doubt I will ever do a thru hike the AT, PCT and CDT, but I find all three trails very interesting and one can always dream about doing a triple crown. I definately want to section hike all three.

Sly
12-26-2012, 13:02
The cool thing I like about John Muir is its a long distance trail you can complete without the long term commitment of the AT, PCT, and CDT. Its definately on my bucket list and very doable for me to complete. I doubt I will ever do a thru hike the AT, PCT and CDT, but I find all three trails very interesting and one can always dream about doing a triple crown. I definately want to section hike all three.

I think it was Coup from Golite but rather than the Triple crown, he coined the Triple Gem, which is the JMT, CT and LT. Certainly a worthy goal.

Sly
12-26-2012, 13:08
I like the PCT best. Has much of the social and support aspects of the AT with much more in the way of variety of flora and fauna ...

I think you may be mistaken there. The AT has much more diversity in flora and fauna. The GSMNP alone probably beats the two western trails combined.