PDA

View Full Version : GG Crown 60

Drybones
12-24-2012, 17:19
I'm surprise I haven't heard a lot of chatter about this pack. It's new and I had trouble finding one for the spring hike so that may be why. I love this pack, and I'm hard to please, literally didn't notice having it on. Anyone else out there had any experience with this pack?

Don H
12-24-2012, 17:41
I have one.
I've got maybe 100 miles on it, so far so good.
I did get two hip belt pockets for it. One for my camera and one for my first aid kit and privy supplies.

(I have the same poles too)

ScottC
12-24-2012, 23:51
I have one but it hasn't made its maiden voyage yet. What kind of loads are you carrying and what brand of hipbelt pockets are you using?

q-tip
12-25-2012, 00:24
Love it-3 trips-150 mi---great pack at 34 oz.........

Dr. Professor
12-25-2012, 00:36
I'm surprise I haven't heard a lot of chatter about this pack. It's new and I had trouble finding one for the spring hike so that may be why. I love this pack, and I'm hard to please, literally didn't notice having it on. Anyone else out there had any experience with this pack?

I have just under a hundred miles with mine; it's been great so far. I've had tons of rain -- everything stayed dry. It's easily the most comfortable pack I've had. I haven't done massive miles with it yet, but so far I love it.

Drybones
12-25-2012, 10:17
I have one but it hasn't made its maiden voyage yet. What kind of loads are you carrying and what brand of hipbelt pockets are you using?

I have the GG hip belt pocket, pricey but it works well, also got a larger ogg brand pocket wich is larger but haven't used it. The GG pocket is adequate to hold all I need to put in it...camera, bleach, lighter. Normal load for me with 5 days of supplies is about 28 popunds, I had more than that when I crossed the GSMNP, probably around 32 lbs...it's interesting, I dont seam to feel much difference between a 32 and a 22 lb load.

bigfeesh
12-25-2012, 22:09
I'm 6'6" and have had my eye on this for a while. Problem is no one caries it so I can try it out. I've heard nothing but good things and am intrigued.

Dr. Professor
12-25-2012, 23:36
I'm 6'6" and have had my eye on this for a while. Problem is no one caries it so I can try it out. I've heard nothing but good things and am intrigued.

First, welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Second, Merry Christmas!

Third, while not as big as you, I am over six feet and have a disproportionately long torso. I hiked for a week starting with 36 pounds and ending with 24. I found the pack very comfortable throughout (though clearly I preferred the lighter weight toward the end). It's a great pack.

Don H
12-26-2012, 00:08

Using the GG pockets. I usually carry 12 - 14 lbs. base weight.

barf_jay
12-28-2012, 13:45
This is going to be my next pack, don't know anyone either personally that has one, but from the reivews, appears to be a great pack. Waiting on REI 20% sale to get mine. I am also going to get the lid for it, like storing easy access stuff in the lid.

Drybones
12-28-2012, 20:44
This is going to be my next pack, don't know anyone either personally that has one, but from the reivews, appears to be a great pack. Waiting on REI 20% sale to get mine. I am also going to get the lid for it, like storing easy access stuff in the lid.

Barf...LOL....don't want to know how you got that name....you need to do what works for you, but, I've always had a lid before this pack but find this pack is better without it for me. Anything I need on a regular basis, or need quickly, I put in a pocket or strap it on top. I did get a hip belt pocket that I put Camera, lighter, and bleach (purification for water) in. I put my tent, raingear, and footprint (which I also use to sit on at breaks) in the back pocket. I put my convertible pant legs, base layer top (if I take it off) and Thermarest seat pad under the two closer straps. I put all small stuff in a dry bag to make it easy to find at camp. IMO, try it without the lid first, buy later if needed.

Dr. Professor
12-28-2012, 21:46
Barf...LOL....don't want to know how you got that name....you need to do what works for you, but, I've always had a lid before this pack but find this pack is better without it for me. Anything I need on a regular basis, or need quickly, I put in a pocket or strap it on top. I did get a hip belt pocket that I put Camera, lighter, and bleach (purification for water) in. I put my tent, raingear, and footprint (which I also use to sit on at breaks) in the back pocket. I put my convertible pant legs, base layer top (if I take it off) and Thermarest seat pad under the two closer straps. I put all small stuff in a dry bag to make it easy to find at camp. IMO, try it without the lid first, buy later if needed.

My uncle & I both have the Crown 60, and we both like it. He has the lid. I don't. I don't feel any need to go get one (and would probably leave it at home if I was offered one), but to each their own.

sgt easy
12-29-2012, 19:48
ultralight and comfortable - yes. practical, not so much. i sent mine back after a trial. very narrow, capacity seemed less than advertised; but i'm not an ultra-lightweighter, so maybe it was me. no provision for hanging things from the pack, either. if you're keeping everything under 30 lbs., go for it, it IS a beauty; othewise, go bigger.

Don H
12-29-2012, 20:13
I have a lid on my GG Nimbus Ozone that I keep a Platypus bladder and hose for drinking. I like that set up, the bladder is on top and easy to get to.
On my new Crown 60 I don't have the lid so I've been just laying the badder on top of the gear in the pack. So far it seems to work.

For those that have the Crown 60 and use a hydration system how do you have it set up?

ScottC
12-29-2012, 22:48
I watched this video last night of the Colorado Trail speed record. He used the Crown 60 - I don't think I'll ever push gear as hard as he did...

http://vimeo.com/49697346

RCBear
12-30-2012, 10:03
I watched this video last night of the Colorado Trail speed record. He used the Crown 60 - I don't think I'll ever push gear as hard as he did...

http://vimeo.com/49697346

That's some pretty intense pace right there!

bigfeesh
01-18-2013, 05:57
First, welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Second, Merry Christmas!

Third, while not as big as you, I am over six feet and have a disproportionately long torso. I hiked for a week starting with 36 pounds and ending with 24. I found the pack very comfortable throughout (though clearly I preferred the lighter weight toward the end). It's a great pack.

Thank you sir, was that the long or regular that you have? I had the long special ordered from REI a week or so ago and am hoping it turns out to be a good fit.

q-tip
01-18-2013, 13:06
I have six packs--this is my go-to pack for long distance hiking. I like having all of my gear inside the pack. My base weight is 14-15 lbs- and will be 18.5 for the JMT (bear cannister 2.5 lbs.) Love it.....

Deadeye
01-19-2013, 12:43
I have six packs--this is my go-to pack for long distance hiking. I like having all of my gear inside the pack. My base weight is 14-15 lbs- and will be 18.5 for the JMT (bear cannister 2.5 lbs.) Love it.....

q-tip... does your canister fit crossways in the pack, or only vertically?

bigfeesh
01-25-2013, 13:54
The crown came in and seems to fit very well, i haven't taken it for a hike yet though. I had the choice between the large hip belt it came with and the xl i ordered through rei (the xl is backordered till march from g.g., but rei.com has some). Glad I ordered that xl belt, its bigger and has thicker padding making it more comfortable than the large (for me anyways (6'6" 250). Just sayin.

ScottC
01-25-2013, 16:09
I took my Crown 60 on its first trip this past weekend. I was very pleased with how it packed and carried. The best improvement from my Vapor Trail is that the mesh used on the side pockets is stretchier and made it much easier to put water bottles back in while wearing the pack. I also did not use the framesheet since I carry a folded Z-rest pad inside.

One item I wasn't pleased with is the cord that is used for the side & back cinch lines - the cord binds very easily in the cordlocks. I have replaced mine with Zing-It dyneema and everything adjusts so much smoother now.

Drybones
01-25-2013, 17:08
I took my Crown 60 on its first trip this past weekend. I was very pleased with how it packed and carried. The best improvement from my Vapor Trail is that the mesh used on the side pockets is stretchier and made it much easier to put water bottles back in while wearing the pack. I also did not use the framesheet since I carry a folded Z-rest pad inside.

One item I wasn't pleased with is the cord that is used for the side & back cinch lines - the cord binds very easily in the cordlocks. I have replaced mine with Zing-It dyneema and everything adjusts so much smoother now.

What diameter did you replace it with? Where'd you get it? I agree, this is the only short coming I've found also.

w00dchuck
01-25-2013, 19:15
I've been using the Crown 60 for about 150 miles now in preparation for a thru hike with my daughter starting in mar. I weigh about 150 and stand about 5'8". I'm carrying it with about 28lbs. on 10 mile hikes 3 or 4 times a week for conditioning hikes. I love everything about it except the straps were really rubbing on my collar bones. I solved the problem with a pair of cheap seat belt pads from wally mart. I too am struggling with whether to put a top lid on it or not. It really is a bare bones rig and my previous pack had pockets galore (and the weight to go with them). Like one of the other posters said I'll probably just start hiking and get one on the trail if I decide I've just got to have one. I have not had any problems with the side cords as others have commented on. I did have to go with a small waist belt since a medium was marginal when cinched up tight. I wear a 32" waist for pants. If it was 34" it would have probably been perfect.

ScottC
01-25-2013, 22:08
Here's a link to the Zing-It cord that I used on the pack and have used for tarp & bear lines.

http://www.benmeadows.com/zing-it-throwing-line-175mm-x-180_s_84519/