PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating Sleeping Bag Covers-Any Input???????

q-tip
12-25-2012, 00:22
I am looking to get asleeping bag cover for my tarp-it rains inside due to severe condensation (WildOasis). Does anyone have any experience with any of these products????????

Equnox Sprawler Ultralite Bivi (UBG160)-$62
The innovative Equinox Bivi provides amazinglylightweight protection for your sleeping bag.

Constructed from 1.1oz silicone impregnated ripstop nylonwith microcord drawstring and cordlock.
•Waterproof bottom layer, water repellent/breathable toplayer
•Accomodates mummy-shaped bags
•Mid-length, YKK zipper provides easy access
•Packaged in a mesh bag with cord lock for transport andstorage

Size: 33"W x 72.5"L to shoulder (83"L withhood)

Weight: 6.6oz

Brooks Range UltraLite Sleeping Bag Cover-$40
• Weight: 6.4 oz (181 g)
• Max Dimension: 88.6" x 33.1" (225 x 84.1 cm)
Ybull; Packed Size: 3.5" x 2" x 7" ( 8.9 x5.1 x 17.8 cm)

Terra Rosa Gear- Sleeping Quilt / Bag Cover-$55
Weight:

155grams- All tyvek

168grams- Deluxe with Sil Nylon base

Price:

$55 -All tyvek

$80- Deluxe with Sil Nylon base

Colter
12-25-2012, 02:32
I used the Wild Oasis for months in 2010 and didn't feel the need for a cover. Have you used single wall shelters much? I have never used a sleeping bag cover with any of my single wall shelters. I'm not concerned with a few drops of condensation that may drip or mist on my bag. If you're not repeatedly sweeping the shelter walls with the foot of your bag, most condensation should run down the fly of the shelter and miss you.

staehpj1
12-25-2012, 08:54
A lot depends on the expected conditions. I have used an REI bivy with pretty good success in most conditions except hot buggy ones where the choice was between steaming in the bivy or being eaten by mosquitoes.

An intermediate option would be a DWR sleeping bag.

10-K
12-25-2012, 08:59
I'm assuming you are using a groundcloth... How about a 4'x5' piece of Tyvek to drape over the top of your bag? You could tuck the edges under the bag if necessary.

You could use the Tyvek for other things from time to time. Makes a great "table" to eat lunch on, rain cover to eat under, place to set gear down so you don't lose it, etc.

Hosaphone
12-26-2012, 04:02
Be careful when considering using a bivy to combat condensation... In the conditions where condensation is a real problem (around freezing, high humidity), a bivy will often also struggle and probably just make it worse. Any bivy condensation problems can be solved by the use of a vapor barrier liner for your bag but many people find these uncomfortable and annoying to deal with.

Dogwood
12-26-2012, 17:43
IMHO Q-tip I think you may be going in a questionable direction based on what the SMD WO was designed for or who it was designed for. Here's why. The SMD Wild Oasis is meant to be a wt saving shelter, when compared to a typical tent, BUT offering SOME of the same virtues such as privacy and weather protection. Plus, the WO is rather easy to set-up. It's meant to be used to make hiking SIMPLE in regards to shelter. When you start adding in a bag cover and/or ground cloth not to mention needing a dedicated shelter pole, stick(?) or trekking pole(I know the wt and cost of trekking poles isn't normally included in the wt or costs of a shelter) the total wt and total costs CLOSELY approach or are greater than the wt and costs of some of the lightest wt UL true tents! What you are doing, IMHO, is defeating some of the main purposes of why someone would opt for a WO! To each their own though. I don't pretend to know or understand all the considerations/priorities/situations of others.

I don't own a Wild Oasis and have only slept in a enclosed one twice in the mod west but I think, although I'm NOT 100% certain, it has gone through a few SLIGHT design changes. One of those changes was creating greater venting options. For example, I think the top beak has been amended to alllow for more vapor to escape and I think the netting on the bottom of it may have been an added on feature at some pt although, again, I can't say that I know I'm 100% correct on either point. I like SMD and Ron Moak but in all honesty when I first looked at the design of the WO one of my first thoughts was possible condensation issues with the shelter itself in some applications and conditions. But, in fairness to SMD, NO piece of gear exists in use by itself; you have to factor in the user and how and where it's used and what it was designed for.

I know you might not have needed to hear all that but it's just my two cents. Besides, I too ocassionally have to remind myself of not making things seem more complicated or cumbersome than they need to be!

I understand your issue and what you are trying to accomplish Q-tip. All those bag covers should work for you to keep condensation from the inside of your WO off your sleeging bag BUT I think you could PROBABLY more easily do this by avoiding or reducing condensation in the first place by using your single walled WO in locations and conditions where and when condensation issues are reduced or eliminated. Choose your campsites carefully. Opt for places where good ventilation exist or use the WO in ways to maximize ventilation. Don't camp in depressions. Keep the WO "door flap" open as often as feasible. Make sure all the bottom mesh around the perimeter is fully maximized for ventilation. Configure the WO in a fullly taut position.. *Make sure that vent on the top beak is FULLY open to maximize ventilation.* DO NOT cook(boil water) in an enclosed WO. If you sleep on your side try, without it being a major issue to your sleep, to exhale through the bottom perimeter mesh. Try to avoid storing wet clothing inside an enclosed WO through the night. Don't bring a wet dog into an enclosed WO. Don't employ a WO in humid conditions especially if not aming to maximize ventilation. You could also do what 10-K simply suggested. Take along a section of Tyvek or silny in humid conditions or when condensations issues can develop. Lay it over the top of your sleeping bag. I would carefully consider Hosaphone's comments too. He's right, although throwing into the mix a VB in your situation seems VERY cumbersome IMHO.

With the three bag covers you listed the first two seem to simply be a silny top and bottom. I read the specs and the blah blah blah, but that's what they seem to be/are. Although it may rightly be stated one silny is more breathable than another, IMHO, silny in many, although not all, applications or forms isn't all that breathable, but that's the marketing ocurring, and it's just my opinion. The one benefit of the Sprawler is that it has a side zip so it's easier to get into and out of and it's sized larger so as not compress down loft or be overly constricting, hence the name Spppraaawlleeer. I have no personal experience with Brooks Range products but that certainly doesn't make them bad products either. If you opt for the TN in the complete Tyvek version you might find some pilling of the Tyvek, especiialy on the bottom half with use.

IMO, I totally agree with 10-K. Unless you are going to be employing a bag cover or a bivy on a more regular basis by including it with different shelters, such as with true tarps, and/or use the WO in all locations and conditions without regard to maximizing ventilation, I would simply drape a piece of tyvek or Silny over your bag in the enclosed WO to avoid condensation on your sleeping bag. If you aim to avoid or eliminate condensation whenever you can you might find you don't even need to drape anything over your sleeping bag!

q-tip
12-26-2012, 17:51
MOST EXCELLENT FEEDBACK--I believe draping some sil nylon over the bag will solve the problem--Many Thanks.......

Charlie

Dogwood
12-26-2012, 17:57
Just glad we helped and especially glad I didn't give you a headache after my long winded response.

Hosaphone
12-26-2012, 18:18
With the three bag covers you listed the first two seem to simply be a silny top and bottom. I read the specs and the blah blah blah, but that's what they seem to be/are. Although it may rightly be stated one silny is more breathable than another, IMHO, silny in many, although not all, applications or forms isn't all that breathable, but that's the marketing ocurring, and it's just my opinion.

Just want to point out that when you get down to lower temperatures, it has less to do with breathability and more to do with a bunch of science that I can't explain very well.

Basically, as you sleep your body is emitting water vapor. The vapor cools down as it travels away from your body through your bag/bivy/whatever. Eventually it cools to the point that it will condense on the nearest surface. As the temperature drops, the "condensation point" gets closer and closer to you because the vapor is cooling more quickly. There's a big margin where the vapor is going to make it out of your sleeping bag and condense on the next surface it finds. If you add a bivy right over your sleeping bag, guess where the vapor condenses? Doesn't really matter how "breathable" it is at that point - it's going to condense inside the bivy and not on your tarp.

When the temps really drop, it starts condensing inside your bag's insulation and you get into trouble if you don't have a VBL. Early expeditions to the south pole failed gruesomely because they didn't understand this concept.

Just something to think about fwiw. I think Dogwood is right that simply draping something over your bag is probably a better bet. You may not even need to bring anything extra - you can probably use a rain jacket/pants, pack liner/cover, etc?

Colter
12-26-2012, 18:35
MOST EXCELLENT FEEDBACK--I believe draping some sil nylon over the bag will solve the problem--Many Thanks.......

Charlie

I think that will make things worse by moving much of the condensation from the fly to underneath the silynylon and directly to the surface of your bag. Many people have learned similar lessons by covering their bag with a space blanket under bad condensation conditions.

It's ultimately your call, of course, but are you sure the condensation is a real problem and not primarily a perception of being a problem? Again, I have used a Wild Oasis for many months and I got a few drops of condensation on my down bag from time to time (like other single wall shelters I've used) and have never found it to be a problem.

10-K
12-26-2012, 20:19
I would use a piece of tyvek because it wouldn't just lay on the bag, taking the shape of the bag.