PDA

View Full Version : NC - 90 or 300 miles?

Joker4ink
12-25-2012, 12:41
What you say that you complete NC when you first hit the NC/TN boarder, or when you are through Elk Park at the NC/TN border?

mikec
12-25-2012, 12:52
The trail meanders back and forth between TN and NC not far after you enter the Smokies and continues to do so until right after Elk Park. So it's tough to say. The same thing happens along the WV VA border near Loudoun Heights, VA, along the NJ/NY border and along the NY/CT border South of Kent.

When sectioning that part of the trail, I considered myself though with NC after I passed Elk Park.

Cookerhiker
12-25-2012, 13:18
The trail meanders back and forth between TN and NC not far after you enter the Smokies and continues to do so until right after Elk Park. So it's tough to say. The same thing happens along the WV VA border near Loudoun Heights, VA, along the NJ/NY border and along the NY/CT border South of Kent....

Also meanders between VA and WV on Peters Mountain north of Pearisburg near the southern terminus of the Allegheny Trail.

Joker4ink
12-25-2012, 13:32
Yeah, I'm a section hiker as well. I'm starting on NC this March just wanted to hear others' thoughts. But yes, it does meander a couple hundred miles back & forth. Thanks for the input.

Astro
12-25-2012, 13:47
As you go thru GSMNP park sometimes your right foot will be in NC with your left foot in TN.

Pedaling Fool
12-25-2012, 14:30
Yes, the only time you know you're actually in NC is from the "Georgia--NC border" to Fontana Dam. Once you get up to the ridge after leaving Fontana Dam (NOBO) then from that point on you're meandering between NC - Tenn.

However, what's really funny is that according to my AT map (Dtd 2005) once you leave Doll Flats you're pretty much into Tenn, and the trail radically goes away from NC, but then it abruptly turns around and heads back to NC and actually dips into for what must be only a 100 ft or so (very, very briefly) -- and then the trail makes an about-face and returns to Tenn; this is just past the side trail to Jones Falls. And then you're out of NC for good.

10-K
12-25-2012, 15:12
I've been told, but don't know for sure, that the old-old-old barb wire fence that runs between Devil's Fork Gap and Big Bald is the state line.

It's not one continuous piece of fence but long stretches of it are still barely hanging in there. In a lot of places you can just make out the rotten fence posts and rusted barb wire buried in the leaves.

TNhiker
12-25-2012, 16:39
Yes, the only time you know you're actually in NC is from the "Georgia--NC border" to Fontana Dam. Once you get up to the ridge after leaving Fontana Dam (NOBO) then from that point on you're meandering between NC - Tenn.

However, what's really funny is that according to my AT map (Dtd 2005) once you leave Doll Flats you're pretty much into Tenn, and the trail radically goes away from NC, but then it abruptly turns around and heads back to NC and actually dips into for what must be only a 100 ft or so (very, very briefly) -- and then the trail makes an about-face and returns to Tenn; this is just past the side trail to Jones Falls. And then you're out of NC for good.

interesting.........as right at doll flats, there's a sign basically saying goodbye to NC all together..........

but, i've never been in the jones falls area so i can't attest.....

somewhere i have a picture from this past fall of that sign at doll flats......

Pedaling Fool
12-25-2012, 17:49
interesting.........as right at doll flats, there's a sign basically saying goodbye to NC all together..........

but, i've never been in the jones falls area so i can't attest.....

somewhere i have a picture from this past fall of that sign at doll flats......And it's very possible that the trail doesn't go into NC at that point that I mentioned above in post# 6; notice how I said it looks like it enters NC for ~ 100 feet, like one can really measure out 100 ft on an AT map:D So it's entirely possible that it's just the ink on the map that enters NC, but one thing is very clear - They at least take you right up to the NC line and then the trail does an about-face -- not a simple turn, it's an about-face :)