PDA

View Full Version : Look what Santa brought me:

Odd Man Out
12-25-2012, 13:11
https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=716&compid=1
:banana
"In celebration of the Appalachian Trail's seventy-fifth anniversary, this 332-page hard-cover Appalachian Trail Conservancy book documents in text and photos the history, beauty, and significance of America's most iconic hiking trail. With fascinating essays on topics ranging from the trail's history to the day-by-day hiking experience, this book is perfect for anyone interested in conservation, outdoor recreation, or American history, and for all those who have hiked all or part of the A.T...."

Astro
12-25-2012, 13:14
Odd Man Out,
Looks like a great present!

Cozy
12-25-2012, 22:05
https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=716&compid=1
:banana
"In celebration of the Appalachian Trail's seventy-fifth anniversary, this 332-page hard-cover Appalachian Trail Conservancy book documents in text and photos the history, beauty, and significance of America's most iconic hiking trail. With fascinating essays on topics ranging from the trail's history to the day-by-day hiking experience, this book is perfect for anyone interested in conservation, outdoor recreation, or American history, and for all those who have hiked all or part of the A.T...."

Yep. It was under my Christmas tree this morning too. What a resource. The pics are outstanding. Enjoy yours as I know I'll enjoy mine. And Merry Christmas.

melaniebk
12-26-2012, 18:59
I got one, too! It's got a lot of interesting background on the AT, and the pictures are super.

HikerMom58
12-26-2012, 19:36
Nice!!! :)

Odd Man Out
12-26-2012, 22:17
I have read the first few chapters, which are a chronological history of the trail. Lots of quote-worthy text. I quite enjoyed the Forward by Bill Bryson, in which he refers to his AT adventures, chronicled in his book "A Walk in the Woods" which may be described as a treatise on how NOT to hike the AT. But is clear from the Forward, that Bryson's book was not entirely fiction (as some have claimed). Despite "failing gamely" as a thru-hiker, he expresses insights of an AT veteran with the skills of of a professional writer. He cites several things he learned from hiking the trail. "The first was the discovery that the world is a really big place. You cannot believe how big the world truly is until you take it on, on foot. ...Walking slows you down. It makes you take the world in at a much more sedate and contemplative speed. Everything is up close and immediate and full of interest, and every distance is considerable...One of the great luxuries and admonishments of the Appalachian Trail is reaching a summit with a glorious top-of-the-world view and finding nothing but hills and unbroken forests rolling off to every horizon. There is nothing like it to make you realize how immense-not to mention incomparably lovely-this country of ours is."