PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag!?

Brooke
12-26-2012, 10:06
I am starting to through hike the AT nobo march 1st so I will need a sleeping bag that will keep me warm! I want something warm but not so damn expensive! Any suggestions!? :):):) thank you!

moldy
12-26-2012, 10:37
March 1st start, I would have a 20 degree bag. Many dozens to choose from with size and shape options. I would find one on sale that costs less than a hundred bucks. 2 things to consider, weight, which should be less than 3 lbs and the shape of it when compressed. I have a medium sized back pack and have a tough time putting my bag into the pack. I use a serious compression bag to smash it down to the size of a volleyball. I would take my pack with me to the store to see how it will fit.

TheYoungOne
12-26-2012, 10:41
I am starting to through hike the AT nobo march 1st so I will need a sleeping bag that will keep me warm! I want something warm but not so damn expensive! Any suggestions!? :):):) thank you!

I love this gear list at the end of this article.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Feb to early march start will probably be cold. If you already have a 30 to 40 degree bag for the rest of your hike, I would either get the cheapest 0 degree bag you can find and just switch out when it gets warm, or layer your 30 degree bag with a Sea to Summit reactor liner and a down quilt. You can DIY a quilt or store bought Down quilts will probably start going on clearance sale in most department stores soon to make way for spring stuff.

slims
12-26-2012, 10:43
So many options out there but it all depends on what your definition of expensive is. How much money are you looking to spend?

Some advice for you. I was looking at sleeping bag options before my thru-hike this year. The good people on this site gave me some valuable advice - Don't skimp on the sleeping bag. I dropped a good bit of money on a nice Marmot sleeping bag and never regretted it once while I was out there.

Lando11
12-26-2012, 11:11

I don't know what you would consider expensive, but here is what I think.

First off, Slims nailed it. If you are going to splurge on 1 item, make it a good bag/quilt.

Personally, I don't see the point in spending so much for a Western Mountaineering or Feathered friends for example. Spending $400+ on a 3 season bag is insanity in my mind. Even spending $300+ on a montbell spiral seems kinda crazy... Though all 3 companies make great gear, I can't justify spending quite that much on a sleeping bag

I just bought a 20* quilt from Enlightened Equipment for under $200...

http://enlightenedequipment.com/revelationx.html

hammock gear also makes quilts for a fair price

http://hammockgear.com/top-quilts/

Its funny how buying custom is considerably cheaper in this case

StylinLP38
12-26-2012, 11:48
Try Biking as a hobby and you will find the cost of this Hiking hobby is alot less money per item lol. $300 on a crank set easily

trapper
12-26-2012, 11:55
is it insanity if that top quality bag last 20 years?????
Personally, I don't see the point in spending so much for a Western Mountaineering or Feathered friends for example. Spending $400+ on a 3 season bag is insanity in my mind. Even spending $300+ on a montbell spiral seems kinda crazy... Though all 3 companies make great gear, I can't justify spending quite that much on a sleeping bagquote

Papa D
12-26-2012, 12:01
You are going to undertake a 4-6 month endeavor and you will sleep in (probably 1 of 2) sleeping bags every night so you want the BEST equipment you can get. I would suggest trying to find a used bag (or bags) vs trying to go cheap, not being happy, and then buying a better one. Why don't you try e-bay? The best warm bags are down (need to be super careful to only take them out of your dry sack for sleeping - - can't get 'em wet at all!). The best down bag brands are:

Western Mountaineering
Feathered Friends
Montbell
Marmot

Here is a very, very good 5 degree bag: www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Mountaineering-Antelope-800-fp-Down-5F-Sleeping-Bag-MSR-599-MicroFiber-/321044581739?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abfbf8d6b (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Mountaineering-Antelope-800-fp-Down-5F-Sleeping-Bag-MSR-599-MicroFiber-/321044581739?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abfbf8d6b)

I suggest that you start with a bag that has a zero or a five degree rating - - the higher the quality the bag, the more accurate this rating will be (also remember that this is a survival rating - - most people should add about 15 degrees F to get an idea of where they will be "comfortable" - - if you wear long underwear and a fleece cap, a typical zero bag will keep you warm enough to be comfortable in the teens and twenties which is about as cold as it will get in March*

You will also want a second bag to be shipped to you when temperatures go up - - Damascus, VA (or maybe Parisburg) is a popular place to do this for a lot of NOBOS depending on what the weather is doing - - I would suggest a bag with a 32-40 deg. F rating for this. This could be a less expensive synthetic bag (but down is still lighter). When you hit New Hampshire, you will likely return to your warmer bag for the rest of the journey.

*Now, about March. March and April are THE most popular times for NOBOS to start because they can start slow amble along, pick up the pace after a month or so and get to Maine before Mt. Katahdin closes. This is fine but you should know that you will be hiking smack dab in the middle of "THE PACK" - shelters will be crowded and you will be hiking with a lot of other people which might not be the experience that you had planned. If I may suggest it, why not start a couple of weeks earlier (late February) - yes, you will dodge a bit of snow and colder weather and you might have to stop at a few more hostels to dry out and warm up but the warmer days will come and you will be rewarded by still having the same northbound experience but without the crowds (there will still be a good crew to hike with and you could always drop back a bit - - just a good thought for you ..... now, I did see that you scheduled a March 1st start - - this is a lot better than the 15th in terms of crowds - - if you just backed it up a week, you'd be surprised at how much the head start will help you.

TheYoungOne
12-26-2012, 12:07
is it insanity if that top quality bag last 20 years?????
Personally, I don't see the point in spending so much for a Western Mountaineering or Feathered friends for example. Spending $400+ on a 3 season bag is insanity in my mind. Even spending $300+ on a montbell spiral seems kinda crazy... Though all 3 companies make great gear, I can't justify spending quite that much on a sleeping bagquote

I don't blame you. Then get a top quality bag from a known company like Kelty, Marmont, REI, etc that will get you as close as you can to the specs of a Montbell or Western Mountaineering and save some money, but you still are going to drop $200. What you don't want to do is go super cheap and get a $50 sleeping bag from target or walmart, because you will be sorry.

Papa D
12-26-2012, 12:19
I don't blame you. Then get a top quality bag from a known company like Kelty, Marmont, REI, etc that will get you as close as you can to the specs of a Montbell or Western Mountaineering and save some money, but you still are going to drop $200. What you don't want to do is go super cheap and get a $50 sleeping bag from target or walmart, because you will be sorry.

When you are laying in that crumby REI bag that claims to be a 0 degree bag and you are shivering and your toes can't get warm, that $200 bucks won't seem like "savings" at all. Now, I will say that I elevate Marmot a bit above REI and Kelty but I obviously agree that a walmart or target bag would be a worthless piece of junk - unsuitable in my opinion for even a weekend trip - might work for a kid's sleep-over on some living room floor.

Brooke
12-26-2012, 12:51
I meant between 150 to 200 not really cheap but not 400 haha

colorado_rob
12-26-2012, 13:41
When you are laying in that crumby REI bag that claims to be a 0 degree bag and you are shivering and your toes can't get warm, that $200 bucks won't seem like "savings" at all. With due respect, REI sells some decent "REI brand" bags, in fact, I've yet to see one that was in any way "crumby". A couple of good pals trusted the REI Expedition bags to their lives on Denali last year and were not disappointed. My $600+ -25 degree WM Puma bag had nothing on their $300 REI expedition bags in terms of loft and warmth. The only shortfall of those bags were their smaller size/girth, but the two guys were not big guys and the bag worked for them just fine. I owned/used an REI never-summer bag for years and years, then it was stolen from the back of my truck.

OP: Your name sounds female, and if so, check out the woman's "sub-kilo" REI bag. Light, warm, but a bit on the small side.

http://www.rei.com/product/829874/rei-sub-kilo-15-sleeping-bag-womens-special-buy

juma
12-26-2012, 13:52
campmor 20 degree bag. just saw one on ebay recently for cheap.

Brooke
12-26-2012, 13:56
Thank you, that bag looks perfect! :D :)

G-FOURce
12-26-2012, 15:43
With due respect, REI sells some decent "REI brand" bags, in fact, I've yet to see one that was in any way "crumby". A couple of good pals trusted the REI Expedition bags to their lives on Denali last year and were not disappointed. My $600+ -25 degree WM Puma bag had nothing on their $300 REI expedition bags in terms of loft and warmth. The only shortfall of those bags were their smaller size/girth, but the two guys were not big guys and the bag worked for them just fine. I owned/used an REI never-summer bag for years and years, then it was stolen from the back of my truck.

OP: Your name sounds female, and if so, check out the woman's "sub-kilo" REI bag. Light, warm, but a bit on the small side.

http://www.rei.com/product/829874/rei-sub-kilo-15-sleeping-bag-womens-special-buy

i concur. i am a big agnes homer, but i did buy the REI Halo +25 bag recently b/c for the price i couldn't find anything that measured up to it.

MuddyWaters
12-26-2012, 15:49
If you are female,. you may want more like a legitimate 10F bag.

If you live in Michigan you should have opportunities to try it out ahead of time I would think.

Brooke
12-26-2012, 20:16
[QUOTE=MuddyWaters;1378869]If you are female,. you may want more like a legitimate 10F bag.

If you live in Michigan you should have opportunities to try it out ahead of time I would think.[/QUOTE

Why a 10F bag? :p

MuddyWaters
12-26-2012, 20:21
[QUOTE=MuddyWaters;1378869]If you are female,. you may want more like a legitimate 10F bag.

If you live in Michigan you should have opportunities to try it out ahead of time I would think.[/QUOTE

Why a 10F bag? :p

Women typically sleep colder than men, by about 10F

Under the EN rating, the "comfort" limit is typically about 10F warmer than the "extreme" limit.
The comfort limit is usually used by women to select bags, the extreme limit by men

Bags usually are rated at the "extreme" limit. ie mens ratings.

Everyone is different, and you really need to know how you sleep compared to average.

I doubt many AT hikers complain they had too warm of a sleeping bag when the temp dips into the teens.
On the other hand, tales of freezing at night are abundant.

Brooke
12-26-2012, 21:00
Women typically sleep colder than men, by about 10F

Under the EN rating, the "comfort" limit is typically about 10F warmer than the "extreme" limit.
The comfort limit is usually used by women to select bags, the extreme limit by men

Bags usually are rated at the "extreme" limit. ie mens ratings.

Everyone is different, and you really need to know how you sleep compared to average.

I doubt many AT hikers complain they had too warm of a sleeping bag when the temp dips into the teens.
On the other hand, tales of freezing at night are abundant.[
/QUOTE]

Yikes! Hope my friend Danielle doesn't mind cuddling at night because I HATE THE COLD hahaha
Thanks for all the great advice!

turkeywayne
12-31-2012, 15:46
try the three piece mimlitary bag and use the pieces you need. i bit on the heavy side but will do the job as well as any. from germany to alaska they do the job. as a plus the bivy sack can be used without a tent if push comes to shove. all three pieces less than 100.00 dollars

buldogge
12-31-2012, 17:36
Either buy a lightly used Western Mountaineering 20'...or...a Marmot Pinnacle (my choice) or Helium 15' can be had for around $280 usually. If you must go cheap(ish), find a Campmor 20 or really cheap get a Kelty Cosmic (20' or 0', a bit heavier though).

My 2c.

-Mark in St. Louis

herman2feathers
12-31-2012, 17:54
I am a fan of Big Agnes. REI has a 15 degree that'll set you back $150 and another good thing about Big Agnes is they are roomy and it has a pouch to hold your pad so you don't slide off.

Alwaysfine
01-01-2013, 23:17
Papa D explains a lot of the differences in bags. I have bought many bags over the years and there is nothing better than a good down bag. If you want warmth close to the temperature rating, great packability, lightest weight go with a down bag from a reputable company. There are good bags in the same temperature ratings that are synthetic but they are more bulky and much heavier. Again, these are choices you have to make. There are many companies that run sales and if searching eBay you may run across a real buy. However, it usually takes many months of hunting to snag a real buy. If leaving March 1, you may have to bite the bullet. But this is one area that you don't want to chince on. There will be many nights in March that you will be spending almost half of your day ( and night) in your bag. Good luck!

G-FOURce
01-02-2013, 00:45
i concur. i am a big agnes homer, but i did buy the REI Halo +25 bag recently b/c for the price i couldn't find anything that measured up to it.

NOTE: i used the Halo +25 one night and returned it the next day. You could feel the cold seeping in through the seams from about the waist down to the end of the footbox. Very disappointing.

Mags
01-02-2013, 00:53
The Kelty Cosmic down bag is a good budget bag that has received some very positive reviews. For about $100 it won't break the bank.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/kelty_cosmic_down_20_sleeping_bag_review.html

In
an ideal world, the $400 bag is a wise idea. Not everyone has the budget for that bag, though. :)

Also, gotta agree with Rob, the sub-kilo bag is a good one. A former girlfriend with a small and petite build was very warm in her bag.

hermit1970
01-02-2013, 20:41
What about using a lighter (and less expensive) 30 degree bag, use a bag liner and just sleep with all your layers on?

robertblake60
01-03-2013, 17:11
What about using a lighter (and less expensive) 30 degree bag, use a bag liner and just sleep with all your layers on?

I have used a 25 degree bag with a liner and was more than comfortable in mid teen weather. I didn't even have to wear extra layers, just socks and shorts. I'm sure it would have been fine even colder.

Bag liner is great, and light, and relatively cheap ($100 bag + $50 silk liner) provides a lot of warmth that you may need to pay $300+ for.

G-FOURce
01-03-2013, 22:35
With due respect, REI sells some decent "REI brand" bags, in fact, I've yet to see one that was in any way "crumby". A couple of good pals trusted the REI Expedition bags to their lives on Denali last year and were not disappointed. My $600+ -25 degree WM Puma bag had nothing on their $300 REI expedition bags in terms of loft and warmth. The only shortfall of those bags were their smaller size/girth, but the two guys were not big guys and the bag worked for them just fine. I owned/used an REI never-summer bag for years and years, then it was stolen from the back of my truck.

I am an REI homer, so I was thoroughly disappointed when I recently returned my REI Halo +25 after a single night's use due to poor design and build quality. I agree that, as a rule, REI's house brand is exceptional and that the quality and value of their products rival other industry-leading brands. Unfortunately, of all of the items I have purchased that carry their logo, and over the decades that I have been loyal to them, that sleeping bag stands alone as the most disappointing purchase.