PDA

View Full Version : Another free Kindle book

fcoulter
12-26-2012, 11:56
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Unbolted-Journey-Starting-ebook/dp/B00APPXGFQ

Train Wreck
12-26-2012, 12:19
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Unbolted-Journey-Starting-ebook/dp/B00APPXGFQ

They must not leave the deals up for very long. It's back up to 9.99.
Same thing happened to me the other day when I posted a 2.99 deal on an AT memoir.

Sly
12-26-2012, 12:33
They must not leave the deals up for very long. It's back up to 9.99.
Same thing happened to me the other day when I posted a 2.99 deal on an AT memoir.

It said free to prime customers, so I clicked it and it charged me $9.99. Apparently since I'm an add-on to my sisters account (only good for free 2 day shipping) I'm not included, but I was able to return it!

Amazon Prime membership is $79 a year but they'll continue to give free trials after a short time. It's still worth paying if you buy a lot from Amazon (free 2 day shipping on many items, and lots of free Kindle and video content.

Rocket Jones
12-26-2012, 14:15
Free to Prime customers may refer to the Kindle Lending Library. You can 'borrow' one book a month with no due return date from a selected list.

fcoulter
12-26-2012, 14:32
Wow, that was fast. I bought it for $0 (just checked my receipt) at 10:56 this morning.

max patch
12-26-2012, 15:04
Its still available (2:03 est) for Prime members to "borrow" at no cost. We can "borrow" one book per month.

Hikes in Rain
12-26-2012, 15:35
Curses. Foiled again.

Train Wreck
12-26-2012, 15:49
Sometimes they offer a free or greatly reduced kindle download as an outright purchase option. The library option is a different perk for Amazon Prime members. I think the book I bought for 2.99 was a special independent of your status as a Prime member. The deal just seemed to vanish within an hour or so, shortly after I posted a comment about it being on sale. I don't really think amazon is following us on WB, more likely there is a tipping point (# of downloads?) At which the deal expires and prices revert. Best advice- grab it quick, it may go away at any time.

Marta
12-26-2012, 20:51
I got it for free this morning, and I'm not a Prime member.

A mystery.

fcoulter
12-26-2012, 21:43
It was a purchase, not a Prime rental. (I know because this month's Prime rental for me was Skywalker: Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail. Previously I got Skywalker: Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail, Five Years on the Appalachian Trail, and AWOL on the Appalachian Trail.)

The nice thing about the Prime rentals is that the author gets something for the rental. Not as much as an outright purchase, but something.

Authors intentionally mark their books down to $0 so that when the price goes back up, the "sales" will push the book up the best seller list, which will generate more sales. But usually the book needs to have a bit of time at $0 so that there are enough sales. (At least this it the theory. You'd have to ask an author if this actually works.)

It's also possible that the author screwed up and set the price to zero accidentally, and I was lucky enough to stumble on it during this short window.

BrianLe
12-27-2012, 13:08
"It's also possible that the author screwed up and set the price to zero accidentally, and I was lucky enough to stumble on it during this short window."

One of the fun things about doing an Amazon book is that now I can see what this looks like from the author perspective. It's definitely not possible to set it to zero accidentally. As far as I know, the only reason this could (or at least should) happen would be if the author intentionally changed the price during the day; perhaps s/he saw too many copies going out with zero royalties (?). From reading on an author forum, however, it seems like there have been times when the Amazon site hasn't treated this just as authors have expected, so can't be certain.

What blows my mind is folks getting email from Amazon listing suggested reads with my book on the list --- including today a friend who has no hiking interest. I can understand it for those who search for and/or buy multiple hiking-related books, but she's not into that at all insofar as I know.