PDA

View Full Version : White Mountains Lodge and Hostel For sale

Sly
12-26-2012, 12:10
As part of my functions with ALDHA, I receive this email this morning.

My wife and I own and manage White Mountains Lodge and Hostel in Shelburne, NH. We have enjoyed serving Appalachian Trail hikers over the last several years and are gratified than many "nobos" have told us we are the or one of the very best hostels on the AT. However, due to my ailing mother, we need to relocate. Consequently, we would like to sell the hostel. Our thought is that one of your members might be interested.

Please advise me on the best way to advertise that the hostel is for sale either via your website or published newsletters. To get a look at the hostel, just visit our website whitemountainslodgeandhostel.com (http://whitemountainslodgeandhostel.com/) There is a Facebook connection that will provide additional photos of the property and testimonials from many of our thru-hiker guests.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards Greg Somerville

max patch
12-26-2012, 13:21
Wow, what a gorgeous property that I'm sure I can't afford. :(

Neat pic on facebook where the snow drift is literally up to the roof...

tiptoe
12-26-2012, 16:27
I stayed there before my ill-fated 2011 hike (Hurricane Irene, followed by a broken ankle). The owners are really helpful to hikers, and I'm sorry they have to sell.

Jeff
12-26-2012, 17:17
I have communicated with Greg and Geri these past few years and agree they run a first class hostel in Gorham.

If you are not familiar, they are located ON the Appalachian Trail. Hikers walk right by their place.

hikerboy57
12-26-2012, 17:30
I have communicated with Greg and Geri these past few years and agree they run a first class hostel in Gorham.

If you are not familiar, they are located ON the Appalachian Trail. Hikers walk right by their place.
they gave me a lift into gorham from the trailhead several years ago. really nice people.

Coosa
02-18-2013, 15:27
ANY new NEWS on this hostel? Has it been sold?

Coosa

Jeff
02-18-2013, 17:27
When I had contact with Geri and Greg a month ago, it had not been sold. They have every intention to run the hostel this coming season.

Kerosene
02-19-2013, 09:59
I stayed there this past September on my way from Pinkham Notch to Rangeley. What a great setup they have, with an ideal location right on the AT as it crosses the road.

Scrum
03-29-2015, 13:02
This place was purchased in 2013 and the new owner, Marni, is running a first class operation. I stayed there last fall and you could not ask for a better set up. Clean, comfortable, great breakfast. It is a bit of a haul into town, but right on the trail. It will be opening up again in early June for the 2015 season.

peakbagger
03-29-2015, 19:43
When I drive by, the driveway has not been plowed all winter. Some folks have a winter home and a summer home but leaving a house vacant with most likely no heat (no access to the propane tank due to driveway not plowed) is very hard on the interior of the house. Drywall cracks, nails pop pipe and other woodwork acts up.. Hard on a building. This lodge is former B&B that is pretty high end place. I hope they can work it out long term but don't see running as a hostel for 4 or 5 months a year and paying the bills.

Rain Man
03-29-2015, 19:45
This place was purchased in 2013 and the new owner, Marni, is running a first class operation. I stayed there last fall and you could not ask for a better set up. Clean, comfortable, great breakfast. It is a bit of a haul into town, but right on the trail. It will be opening up again in early June for the 2015 season.

Amen and amen. I stayed there for a zero day to rest a knee. Marni (and her Mom) are class acts. My next trip, I'm staying again as a jump-off point for continuing my hike in Maine.

haqinai
08-11-2015, 22:19
The people there are very nice. We work with them and also have a hostel in Lancaster NH. I have to find the time to stop there when we do a drop off at Rattle River.

Gingerbread Man

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scrum
06-19-2017, 11:03
I recently stayed here again. Marni sold the place last month. The new owners seem great. Rooms have been rearranged, with fewer beds in them, allowing them to charge more for private rooms -- mostly used by section hikers and beak baggers. Because non-thru hikers have been taking up so much of the space, they converted the owners apartment into a 5 or 6 bed bunkhouse for thrus with no advanced reservations allowed - this assures some room for thru hikers coming off the trail and means the total number of beds available is about the same. Outstanding coffee, and all you can eat waffles for breakfast.

peakbagger
06-19-2017, 11:23
I wish them well. I think they plan to be open in winter or at least for a longer season.

Jeff
06-19-2017, 12:02
Our hostel in Vermont always recommends White Mountain Lodge to our northbound guests. Erik and his crew continue to operate the place in a first class manner.

Erik has indicated the the name will change soon to Rattle River Lodge and Hostel.

Scrum
06-19-2017, 17:59
I wish them well. I think they plan to be open in winter or at least for a longer season.

Yes, Eric (one of the new owners) did say they would be open in winter. We talked about opportunities with the winter hiking/peak bagging community.

He is also going to be trying to get some alternative revenue streams going, like selling hammocks.

You could not have asked for friendlier hosts, and the place was very clean. The commitment to having bunk room beds for thrus is also admirable. I hope the place thrives.