PDA

View Full Version : REI Flash 45

keep moving
12-26-2012, 12:26
http://www.rei.com/product/844660/rei-flash-45-pack

REI recently rolled out its new mid-capacity pack, the Flash 45. The medium has a 45L capacity at just 34 ounces, while the large has a 50L capacity at 36 ounces. I get the impression it was based on Ospreys Exos 46, both in terms of specs and looks.

Anyone gotten their hands on one or know anything more about it? Suitable for a thru hike?

G-FOURce
12-26-2012, 15:48
thats a great looking pack!

daddytwosticks
12-26-2012, 19:41
There was some buz about this backpack and a smaller REI Flash series backpack on Backpackinglight.com a few days ago. You may want to check it out. :)

keep moving
12-26-2012, 19:53
Yep, that thread at BPL about the Flash 22 was where I first heard about it. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=71523&skip_to_post=609737

staehpj1
12-26-2012, 20:48
I love my Flash 18 and Flash 30 and am looking forward to the 45.

daddytwosticks
12-27-2012, 08:32
I also own the Flash 18. Bought it this year. Great day pack and may try a SUL overnighter with it this year in milder weather. :)

G-FOURce
01-06-2013, 10:05
does this mean that no one has tried the Flash 45 specifically?? anyone? i am also interested in this pack and would appreciate some feedback from anyone who happens to have one. thanks.

colorado_rob
01-06-2013, 12:12
does this mean that no one has tried the Flash 45 specifically?? anyone? i am also interested in this pack and would appreciate some feedback from anyone who happens to have one. thanks. REI is AKA: "Return Every Item", meaning they have a very generous and liberal return program. Best advice is to just buy one and check it out personally. If you don't like it, return it. I do personally like to only return items in "new" condition and not take advantage of their policy...

G-FOURce
01-06-2013, 12:19
REI is AKA: "Return Every Item", meaning they have a very generous and liberal return program. Best advice is to just buy one and check it out personally. If you don't like it, return it. I do personally like to only return items in "new" condition and not take advantage of their policy...

amen! i have seen posts here where people talk about abusing their policies and it's frustrating for those of us who buy and return responsibly.

i just ordered the pack. they're backordered until Jan 27th, so it'll be a little while before i get to try it out. also, since they only sell them online there isn't really any other way to test or inspect one. i'll try to remember to post up pics and an initial review when the pack arrives.

colorado_rob
01-06-2013, 12:28
amen! i have seen posts here where people talk about abusing their policies and it's frustrating for those of us who buy and return responsibly.

i just ordered the pack. they're backordered until Jan 27th, so it'll be a little while before i get to try it out. also, since they only sell them online there isn't really any other way to test or inspect one. i'll try to remember to post up pics and an initial review when the pack arrives. Cool, report back to us after you hve time to check it out. I go to REI a couple times a week (I work within a 5 minute walk of one; very dangerous financially...) and have checked on this pack a couple of times now, to no avail, so this online-only thing explains that.

Drybones
01-06-2013, 19:24
I have the Flash 65, 50, and 18. They are all good packs and I would have used the 50 to thru hike last spring but the torso was too short for me, I bought a Granite Gear Crown 60 to use instead and do not regret it. I still use the Flash 65 and 50 for weekend hikes to save wear and tear on the GG Crown 60 which I save for longer hikes.

Latitude918
01-07-2013, 14:54
The Flash 45 looks like a clone of the Osprey Talon 44; I have been eyeing up the Talon 44 for a while, but with the Flash 45 coming out, looks like I will have to make a trip into my local REI and check that out. At 34oz it would be great for a minimalist.

colorado_rob
01-07-2013, 15:02
The Flash 45 looks like a clone of the Osprey Talon 44; I have been eyeing up the Talon 44 for a while, but with the Flash 45 coming out, looks like I will have to make a trip into my local REI and check that out. At 34oz it would be great for a minimalist. According to GFOURce below, they only have them online, at least for now, so just order one, check it out, and if you don't like it, you can return it to your store (ie: you won't have to mail it back). As far as this pack being for a "minimalist", I'm certainly nowhere near being such, I hike fully equipped, and my thru hike gear all fits into a 46 liter Osprey Exos easily.

G-FOURce
01-07-2013, 16:50
According to GFOURce below, they only have them online, at least for now, so just order one, check it out, and if you don't like it, you can return it to your store (ie: you won't have to mail it back). As far as this pack being for a "minimalist", I'm certainly nowhere near being such, I hike fully equipped, and my thru hike gear all fits into a 46 liter Osprey Exos easily.

i actually had mine delivered to our local store. i am going to have them load it when it comes in and test it out right there in the store so that it never leaves their possession should i decide its not what i want.

keep moving
01-07-2013, 21:23
The Flash 45 looks like a clone of the Osprey Talon 44; I have been eyeing up the Talon 44 for a while, but with the Flash 45 coming out, looks like I will have to make a trip into my local REI and check that out. At 34oz it would be great for a minimalist.

Like you I'm looking pretty hard at the Talon 44, but I definitely want to give the Flash 45 a try first. They strike me as very similar packs.

I've been to three REI stores in three different states, and none have had the Flash 45 in stock nor have they been able to tell me anything about when they will be in stores. I'm anxiously looking forward to when the pack reviews start trickling in. I really want to like this pack!

canoe
01-07-2013, 22:21
I have one and my wife has a smaller version. I like the pack very much. There is alot of room and compartments. Only thing i wish the belt pockets were a bit larger.

konradchen
01-07-2013, 22:56
The pack should be a nice competitor to the osprey exos. Looking forward to its release!

Latitude918
01-07-2013, 23:09
Like you I'm looking pretty hard at the Talon 44, but I definitely want to give the Flash 45 a try first. They strike me as very similar packs.

I've been to three REI stores in three different states, and none have had the Flash 45 in stock nor have they been able to tell me anything about when they will be in stores. I'm anxiously looking forward to when the pack reviews start trickling in. I really want to like this pack!

Similar capacity, lower price point, and weighing less, it really gives both the Talon and Exos a run for their money.

I have heard January 27th being tossed around. I'll be watching the stores.

canoe
01-08-2013, 00:02
I have one and my wife has a smaller version. I like the pack very much. There is alot of room and compartments. Only thing i wish the belt pockets were a bit larger.
Sorry Keepmoving I dont have the 45 but last year 62. Anyway both flashes that my wife and I have are really good packs

buldogge
01-08-2013, 17:29
The Flash 45 is a new 2013 release and won't ship to the stores until the end of the month, but they are taking pre-orders online.

...or...so I was told at the STL store while I was looking for an Osprey Hornet 46 last week.

FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

Razor
01-08-2013, 21:41
The Flash 45 series has been around for over 10 years. I have one at least that old. There have been several revisions (I know of 3 at least) . It is a good solid pack. Right size for a small kit. .. And it caries very good for a load <30 lbs. Over that not to comfortable. I gravitated to lighter packs and now use a Hyperlight Windrider --same features and 24 ozs but at a stiffer price . If you are looking for a budget pack with these features then check it out A very good pack at the right price points.And REI does have a great return policy.

keep moving
01-13-2013, 23:35
I stopped by the Castleton REI today (just north of Indianapolis) and they said the Flash 45 should be shipping out to stores some time in the next 1 to 3 weeks. The salesman I talked to also said alot of the staff was interested, and that he anticipated a few being bought by green vests before they even made it to the shelf!

Drybones
01-14-2013, 12:19
I have a Flash 50 and loaded it up to use this past week, put it on and just could not adjust to it after wearing the GG Crown 60. I wanted to save wear and tear on the Crown but had to unload the Flash and go with the Crown, much more comfortable and packs so much better.

G-FOURce
01-14-2013, 18:43
jan 27th was the shipping date i was given by REI when i called and ordered mine. it didnt even dawn on me to ask when they'd be available in stores! duh! its a push, though, since i had it shipped to the store anyway.

Drybones
01-15-2013, 11:21
jan 27th was the shipping date i was given by REI when i called and ordered mine. it didnt even dawn on me to ask when they'd be available in stores! duh! its a push, though, since i had it shipped to the store anyway.

Just curious...why are you ordering an REI Flash when the advice you gave on another post is that "nothing carries better than a Gregory"?

G-FOURce
01-15-2013, 13:22
Just curious...why are you ordering an REI Flash when the advice you gave on another post is that "nothing carries better than a Gregory"?

great question! it was quite a decision to consider moving away from Gregory since i have been wearing their packs for over 20 years (i still use my old elastic sternum strap from my Reality on my Z55) and that i am typically very brand loyal. however, i need a pack for my mother to carry on our inaugural section hike of the AT this spring and my options were either to buy her a womens pack and then try to offload it later, buy a Gregory that I could keep but wouldn't fit her (unfortunately, the Gregory packs in my size would be just slightly too big for her), or buy a pack that has a torso range that includes both of us and that I could keep for myself. assuming that it works for me when it arrives and that i keep it, the Flash 45 has a torso range that works and i wouldnt have to try to offload it and eat the difference. plus, this particular pack would be my solo 2-3 day weekender pack and, given that my base weight for solo trips is now down to sub-12lbs (incl. this pack), i dont think comfort would be an issue.

that said, i still stand behind my statement that nothing carries better than a Gregory. unfortunately, sometimes what i want isn't always the right answer.

keep moving
01-22-2013, 01:05
A guy from BPL did a nice review on his blog complete with pictures. He thought pretty highly of the pack.

Link to BPL thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72541
Link to blog: http://nsiderbam.blogspot.com/2013/01/rei-flash-45-first-impressions.html

double d
01-22-2013, 06:38
I have a REI Flash 65 pack and it is well made and functional. So, I will think that this newer flash pack would fall under the same quality product.

G-FOURce
01-22-2013, 09:03
i received an email notice last Fri that the pack has been shipped, so it should be here today or tomorrow. more to follow...

tds1195
01-22-2013, 10:54
I just ordered the Flash 65 from the outlet for a great price http://www.rei.com/product/847925/rei-flash-65-pack-mens-2013-special-buy
I noticed when I was ordering that they have the Flash 50 there as well if you want to check it out and decide you want that extra 5L :) http://www.rei.com/product/830582/rei-flash-50-pack-special-buy

keep moving
01-22-2013, 13:42
Yep, they're clearing out the older line of Flashes to make room for the new. And the large 45 actually has a 50L capacity at almost half a pound less!

Camel2012
01-22-2013, 14:59
Glad I found this thread. Getting this pack for my teenage son. Seems to be a nice weight/cost/function/comfort ratio.

nsiderbam
01-23-2013, 16:54
Glad to see that somebody already posted my first impressions blog entry.

It is a nice pack and I'm pretty happy with it. Unfortunately I'm not able to get out too often as my school schedule is very busy and the nearest overnight trails are at least 2 hours away. As soon as I get some trail time with it I'll post again detailing comfort and its ability to handle weight.

G-FOURce
01-23-2013, 20:15
I saw one in REI today, but sadly mine still isnt here yet. Its a great looking pack.

Wise Old Owl
01-23-2013, 21:15
I own a Flash 45 and I am very happy with it!

G-FOURce
01-26-2013, 17:44
Picked mine up today, got home, tried it on and its going back. Unfortunately, the shoulder straps are either sewn or cut incorrectly b/c they dont lay flat. Quite disappointing.

EDIT: see my post below... I was incorrect

Camel2012
01-26-2013, 17:56
Picken mine up today, got home, tried it on and its going back. Unfortunately, the shoulder straps are either sewn or cut incorrectly b/c they dont lay flat. Quite disappointing.

Uh oh, my son's is in route, and should be here Tuesday. I hope we don't have any issues, but still have time to swap if needed.

V Eight
01-27-2013, 15:46
I got one the last Thursday, went for a walk yesterday, wrote about it here
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72541&startat=20

G-FOURce
01-27-2013, 16:01
EDIT: in my haste and excitement, I was incorrect about the shoulder straps. I was mistaken about sizing and my torso is actually in their size Large range. I just ran to REI and tried on another and all is good.

That said, though, after arriving home I loaded the Flash 45 and my Gregory Z55 each with a 30* bag, a two-man shelter, a stove and fuel, and a sleeping pad and compared them head-to-head for comfort. Even at a full pound heavier the Gregory is measurably more comfortable. I tried adjusting the Flash 45 many times to try to mirror the comfort of the Gregory but it just isnt happening. I think that the REI pack may be intended for narrow-bodied hikers and at 5'8" tall and 185lbs with a 43" chest and a 17" neck (think Irish fireplug) that wont ever be me. I simply cannot get the fit of the shoulder straps on the Flash 45 any where near comfortable which is disappointing because I really wanted to like this pack.

keep moving
02-06-2013, 23:11
Picked up a Flash 45 (large) the other day. It fit great walking around the store, but I still havent had the chance to do much field testing with it yet so final judgments are withheld. One thing to note is that I do prefer to wear my packs about an inch lower around the hips than is traditionally recommended.

The thing is massive. The 45 size large has a listed 50 liter capacity, and I believe that is only the main compartment of the pack. Including hip-belt pockets, the massive wrap-around outside mesh pocket, and floating lid, I think this thing comes in at closer to a 60 liter capacity. It swallows gear like nobody's business. One thing they fixed from Flash 62 was the size of the hip-belt pockets, in the 62 the hip pockets really wouldnt fit a smartphone while the 45 has no problem.

The frame is an interesting hybrid. Doesnt feel as stiff as Osprey's Airscape/frame system, but you can definitely tell its there and helping transfer the load to the hips. The vertical stays/rods are flexible, while the aluminum headrail is stiff and works well with the load lifters/flexible rods to bring the weight tight against your upper back. One thing REI failed to list on their site but did include on the tag attached to the pack was recommended comfort weight range of 15 to 30 pounds.

All in all I'm quite pleased. $129 and 36oz is hard to beat. I'm looking forward to taking this pack out on a 20 mile dayhike with a 20 pound load and seeing how it handles.

Chevy
02-12-2013, 19:57
I am interested in this pack and wanted to know if it would be worth it. My current pack is a North Face Terra 45 which weighs almost 4 lbs. My base weight is about 15 lbs with the Terra 45. I am wondering if this pack is right for me. Will it be able to carry my load comfortably? I would be using it for my thru hike.

If so this would help me out a lot, because then I could drop over 1 1/2 lbs off of my base weight.

Thanks

keep moving
02-12-2013, 23:08
I think it would be worth it. Your BPW would drop down to 13.5, which would put your full load at about 25 pounds with food and water. I know for me the Flash 45 could carry that weight, but fit is different for everyone. Would you have the opportunity to go to an REI and try it on with 25 pounds?

Chevy
02-13-2013, 10:02
Unfortunately I can't get to an REI because there isn't one near me. I think that I will end up ordering it online and if it doesn't work I will return it. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to ship.

tds1195
02-13-2013, 10:05
Unfortunately I can't get to an REI because there isn't one near me. I think that I will end up ordering it online and if it doesn't work I will return it. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to ship.

REI is typically pretty quick with their shipping...I order online sometimes even though I have a store 3 miles away (typically for outlet items, though).

V Eight
02-13-2013, 13:48
I put 38lbs in mine last week, as a test. Granted it was pretty flat ground and only around 6 hours,
but it did not seem to be stressed anywhere. It will still be a few weeks before I will be able to get out for more than an over nigher, but when I do, I'll let you know how it went.

Coosa
03-17-2013, 21:34
I purchased the Flash 45 at REI in Timonium, MD on Feb 23, this year.

I tried on the Ospreys and the 'women's' Flash 50 and my back immediately went into a spasm. The way the Flash 45 is constructed, with the EVA back panel and the delrin rods which do indeed transfer the weight to the hips, my VERY BAD BACK was able to walk around the store with 25 pounds in the pack and not spasm.

What surprised me even more was that ever since the 1980's, I've been told I need a "small" pack, that my back measures 15 inches. The Flash 45 is 17 inches and it fits my back perfectly. [I'm 68 and 5'4"] Don't rely on what someone told you in the past ... try on a pack and if it fits, it fits.

I put my Thru Hiking gear in my REI Flash 45 pack ... and the entire weight with food for three days and 2 liters of water was 17 pounds. I've taken the fully loaded pack on two short hikes and it has performed excellently. This pack performs admirably and the load does transfer to the hips.

This is just one awesome pack and I recommend that if you're looking for a pack, you try it.

Coosa