Sly
12-26-2012, 13:47
And you better hope you don't find out!

MDSection12
12-26-2012, 13:48
Where was that taken?

juma
12-26-2012, 13:49
just north of dicks creek gap...no, just teasing - it was in idaho.

Don H
12-26-2012, 17:10
Did you shoot that or do you know the person who did? Or is it a picture you found on the internet?

It seems bugger than I would have thought cougars are. Of course I've only seen them in the zoo.

Don H
12-26-2012, 17:10
Bigger not bugger! I need to be able to edit!!!

G-FOURce
12-26-2012, 17:14
... I need to be able to edit!!!

not to get sideways here, but i second that! its strange that we are unable to edit our own posts here.

that said, i had no idea they were that big, either. i'd rather not find out in person on the trial, either.

coolness
12-26-2012, 17:38
THAT is a big cat!! Here kitty kitty kitty!!! :eek:

Pathfinder1
12-26-2012, 17:41
Hi...

Of course it's big...it's a LION...!!

Feral Bill
12-26-2012, 17:43
1. Paid subscribers can edit. $10/year
2, The cougar isn't big, the hunter is tiny.

Pathfinder1
12-26-2012, 17:47
Hi...

Judging from the hunter's approx. boot height, he should be close to six feet tall, shouldn't he?

Tipi Walter
12-26-2012, 17:52
I just hope he butchered it and ate it. Otherwise it's just sport hunting but where's the sport with 310,000,000 million Americans and 30,000 mt lions?

Hosaphone
12-26-2012, 18:01
i'd rather not find out in person on the trial, either.

If it makes you feel any better, I think generally you never see them coming anyways :p

G-FOURce
12-26-2012, 18:18
If it makes you feel any better, I think generally you never see them coming anyways :p

warm and fuzzy now...

Cookerhiker
12-26-2012, 18:54
... I need to be able to edit!!!

not to get sideways here, but i second that! its strange that we are unable to edit our own posts here.

To edit, click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php).

Sarcasm the elf
12-26-2012, 19:11
I just hope he butchered it and ate it. Otherwise it's just sport hunting but where's the sport with 310,000,000 million Americans and 30,000 mt lions?

Are there really 30,000? I had thought that their population was even worse off than that.

Capt Nat
12-26-2012, 19:37
See, this is why everyone should carry BIG GUNS when hiking....(ducking and running)

Sarcasm the elf
12-26-2012, 21:09

that said, i had no idea they were that big, either. i'd rather not find out in person on the trial, either.

I don't have any first hand experience handling cougars, living or dead, but if their size/weight proportions are anything like whitetail deer, then that one looks right in with the 115lb - 220lb average weight that Wikipedia gives for male cougar's.

Why you would want to shoot an animal that's as rare and as lousy to eat as a cougar is a completely different discussion...

juma
12-26-2012, 21:32
Did you shoot that or do you know the person who did? Or is it a picture you found on the internet?

It seems bigger than I would have thought cougars are. Of course I've only seen them in the zoo.

Its a friend's son's brotherinlaw. I think they said he is about 6'2."

juma
12-26-2012, 21:35

No, I think its down to 29,999 now.

aficion
12-26-2012, 21:37
I've seen two in the wild in Eastern US. First in 1973 near Pink beds, way out in the woods, on ridge top West of Davidson River in NC,at dawn. Second was crossing hwy 11, 4 miles north of town here in Lexington, VA at 5 am, 4 years ago. Both the same color as in your pic. The takeaway from both sightings was what a huge animal! Carrying their tail up over their backs, stretching as far as their heads, they were simply not mistakable for anything other than what they were. Magnificent creatures. They are here.

RodentWhisperer
12-26-2012, 21:45
Mountain lions (our cougars, if you prefer that name) can get almost 3' tall and 8' long (nose to end of tail). They're one of the largest cats on Earth.

IMO, it's tragic to see one shot to death... but I don't make laws. I must say that based upon what I know of mountain lions' stealthy ways, they would be quite challenging to hunt.

Sarcasm the elf
12-26-2012, 22:06
To be honest, I'll sit here behind my iPad and make disapproving remarks about hunting a cougar while I'm safely 2000 miles away from their nearest known territory, but I admit that if I lived in an area where there was a healthy population of them, my opinion might very well change.

Pendragon
12-26-2012, 22:15
I hope taking the life of that magnificent creature for no good reason fulfilled you.

shelb
12-26-2012, 22:22
Do people hunt them for the meat (such as with deer)? Or, is this just a "game" game?

Wise Old Owl
12-26-2012, 22:57
Wow I got soft deleted... oh well. Merry Christmas

Marta
12-26-2012, 23:41
I have yet to see a mountain lion in GNP, but I've seen some footprints. They are HUGE.

Cadenza
12-27-2012, 00:17
....I'll sit here behind my iPad and make disapproving remarks about hunting a cougar while I'm safely 2000 miles away from their nearest known territory,.....

http://ctmountainlion.org/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/26/connecticut-mountain-lion_n_910326.html

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/332992/description/A_cougar_in_Connecticut_

Sarcasm the elf
12-27-2012, 00:37
http://ctmountainlion.org/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/26/connecticut-mountain-lion_n_910326.html

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/332992/description/A_cougar_in_Connecticut_

I'm well aware of the anecdotal evidence, i hear it from the local farmers all the time, and don't doubt that a cougar ends up in my state every now and then. But until someone shows documented proof of a permanent, breeding population, as far as I'm concerned Connecticut doesn't have cougars.

Feral Bill
12-27-2012, 02:54
In Idaho and eastern Washington cougars are quite common, although I've only seen one. A neighbor saw one in out yard here in Spokane. I can't see myself hunting a big kitty for fun, though.

Mountain Mike
12-27-2012, 04:29
Plenty of them here in the Black Hills. Several killed by authorities when they wander into & stay in towns. Some have traveled to far eastern parts of US according to DNA samples ( Chicago & even CT). They do a limited hunt here via lottery system & number of cats the determine to maintain a population that is sustainable. I have no problem with people who hunt for meat or shot to protect their property. Out here they raise money from the cat hunting trophy hunters to protect pets & children in towns. It helps pay for wilderness LEO's & wilderness preservation.

Hunting fees nationwide provide a big part of keeping land wild. As hikers we gripe about about a fee of a few dollars. Hinters willingly spend hundreds for a chance to kill their prize what ever it may be. I hope they use/eat their meat, but nature will take care if they don't take. Vultures Coyotes & mice will pretty much take advantage of free meal.

moytoy
12-27-2012, 04:52
I came upon a Florida cougar standing in the trail. It was a good 50 yards away and it looked very large to me:) I had to hike through the spot and although my mind told me that the cat was long gone I kept moving my head side to side to make sure it didn't follow me.

OzJacko
12-27-2012, 07:14
See, this is why everyone should carry BIG GUNS when hiking....(ducking and running)
Hike with a friend.
Carry a very small gun.
When you see the cougar, kneecap your partner and run.:D
309,999,999 Americans and still 29,999 cougars. 1 well fed.:D

Don H
12-27-2012, 07:46
Seems like sometimes the cougars are the ones doing the hunting
http://www.cougarinfo.org/attacks3.htm
How's it feel NOT to be at the top of the food chain?

Wow I got soft deleted... oh well. Merry Christmas

This is why I can't edit!

Josh Calhoun
12-27-2012, 09:07
ever think this guy could be protecting his livestock? he could also be a trapper like me that uses the pelts/skull/teeth/claws to support his family. quit with all the negative open ended suggestions.

Lone Wolf
12-27-2012, 09:16
Why you would want to shoot an animal that's as rare and as lousy to eat as a cougar is a completely different discussion...

"vegetarians are cool. all i eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak."
ted nugent

Thirsty DPD
12-27-2012, 09:55
I'm well aware of the anecdotal evidence, i hear it from the local farmers all the time, and don't doubt that a cougar ends up in my state every now and then. But until someone shows documented proof of a permanent, breeding population, as far as I'm concerned Connecticut doesn't have cougars.

Same in PA, alot of sightings periodically, no pics. But officially PA has no permanent, breeding population, so PA doesn't have cougars either.

Cookerhiker
12-27-2012, 10:48
Re. meat from cougars, I thought the general rule was that carnivorous mammals' meat doesn't taste as good compared to venison, turkey, and other non-meateating animals. Now carnivorous reptiles e.g. alligator taste good!

I've seen two in the wild in Eastern US. First in 1973 near Pink beds, way out in the woods, on ridge top West of Davidson River in NC,at dawn. Second was crossing hwy 11, 4 miles north of town here in Lexington, VA at 5 am, 4 years ago. Both the same color as in your pic. The takeaway from both sightings was what a huge animal! Carrying their tail up over their backs, stretching as far as their heads, they were simply not mistakable for anything other than what they were. Magnificent creatures. They are here.

I have thought that Western Virginia and West Virginia, with the George Washington and Monongahela National Forests, would provide excellent habitat for cougars in the East with a vast amount of forest and where people and towns are few and far between. I've been alert for them when hiking the Allegheny Trail.

Drybones
12-27-2012, 14:21
That would be a great photo if the animal was still alive, I've hunted all my life and killed a lot of animals but I just can't see killing something for the hell of it, you kill it, you clean it, you eat it. I've literally been close enough to one of these to reach out and touch it, I still have both hands so you might guess I didn't tho.

Sarcasm the elf
12-27-2012, 14:29
"vegetarians are cool. all i eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak."ted nugentI admit that I've never tried cougar, but I'd give it a try if offered. My freezer is full and currently contains 70lbs of vacuum sealed venison and a quart of ice cream. I need to get a drop freezer before my girlfriend loses her patience.As for vegitarians, they really do taste better, but that's not a discussion for this site...

jeffmeh
12-27-2012, 15:53
I have eaten it a few times, and found it quite good, particularly cooked moist, low, and slow like a pulled pork, or in a stew. I tend to like my steaks on the medium rare side, which is not the best idea given trichinosis risk, so I was not really enamored with a medium well cougar steak.