PDA

View Full Version : JMT Class of 2013 - Who's going?

staehpj1
12-26-2012, 14:12
With the new year upon us I figured I'd start a new thread.

I am planning to do a thru hike on the JMT in 2013. I am still undecided on the date though. I will be fully retired at the end of June and will be itching to go the beginning of July, but I guess it will depend on what the snow pack is like and how worried I decide I am about mosquitoes. Depending on those factors I'll either go early July or Mid August.

wcgornto
12-28-2012, 18:30
End of June through mid-July for me. Make up for aborted 2012 JMT hike.

Evenflow
12-29-2012, 11:55
Me too! I'm watching snow pack and have all permit info ready. Hoping to go in first of July too. Whoo Hoo.!!!

1Greywolf
12-30-2012, 18:16
Let me jump in here, onegreywolf here, I will be hiking the JMT hopefully starting on July 12, 2013 with two others and plan to finish on or before July 31, 2013.
Did the AT in 2011 and need a new challenge. Would be great to see you all on the trail. Still planning the food drops.
Have sent my permit application and hope to hear soon.

nsiderbam
01-01-2013, 21:27
I'll either be doing the JMT or the CT this summer, probably near the end of July. However, I don't know the exact dates I can hike until a month or two beforehand, making it difficult to get any permits. I'll be the guy showing up at 5 in the morning at the ranger's office to snag a permit the day of.

Malto
01-01-2013, 21:56
With the new year upon us I figured I'd start a new thread.

I am planning to do a thru hike on the JMT in 2013. I am still undecided on the date though. I will be fully retired at the end of June and will be itching to go the beginning of July, but I guess it will depend on what the snow pack is like and how worried I decide I am about mosquitoes. Depending on those factors I'll either go early July or Mid August.

If you don't like the blood suckers I would reco an early september trip. Crowds down, temps perfect, no snow and no mossies.

May have to head back to JMT this year. I used to BP the Sierra many times a year but haven't been there in over a year. I need a fix.

Dr. Professor
01-01-2013, 22:22
I'm going to section hike JMT for about 7-10 days in mid September. I'd love to do more, but can't spare the time this year.

q-tip
01-02-2013, 08:39
Tentative plan-Start Aug 1, 2013--I am concerened abut the snow pack in the high mountains--Anyone using meds for Acute Mountain Sickness??????????? I get it really bad......

wcgornto
01-03-2013, 08:30

Application for which trailhead? Yosemite permit applications can be sent by fax 168 days before the start date. It's too soon for July 12, 2013. Inyo permits for the other end of the trail can be obtained online on recreation.gov six months before start date. Again, too soon for July 12, 2013.

wcgornto
01-03-2013, 08:34
I obtained my permit for Cottonwood Lakes start for June 30th today on recreation.gov. I will submit my permit application for a Yosemite start when I am eligible to do so next Friday after 5:00 Pacific Time. While I prefer a Yosemite start, I have no issue with starting on the other end. I prefer to hedge my bet by having the easier permit in my back pocket and not agonizing over whether or not I obtain the desired Yosemite Happy Isles permit.

Cookerhiker
01-03-2013, 08:43
End of June through mid-July for me. Make up for aborted 2012 JMT hike.

I've actually had 2 aborted would-be thruhikes, resulting in my getting as far as the Woods Creek bridge. So this year, hope to start at Sequoia NP, hike up the side trail to Woods Creek, and finally finish the last 52 miles.

wcgornto
01-04-2013, 12:45
I've actually had 2 aborted would-be thruhikes, resulting in my getting as far as the Woods Creek bridge. So this year, hope to start at Sequoia NP, hike up the side trail to Woods Creek, and finally finish the last 52 miles.

Last year, I didn't have to quit my hike along the way. I quit the hike before it began because my Mother fell and broke her hip. thus, I ended up with a different focus for that period of time.

i_Hike
01-10-2013, 21:26
My girlfriend and l will be starting the trail from Happy Isles - Yosemite on May 30 thru June 20. Just got the permit confirmation today. Looking forward to some snow. Anyone know a good reliable site to check out current snow pack in the Sierras?

wcgornto
01-10-2013, 22:23
Looking forward to some snow. Anyone know a good reliable site to check out current snow pack in the Sierras?

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/PLOT_SWC.pdf

i_Hike
01-11-2013, 10:00
Wcgornto - thanks, perfect site. Now if only we could duplicate last years totals, then maybe I could ditch the ice ax and crampons

wcgornto
01-11-2013, 11:44
I obtained my permit for Cottonwood Lakes start for June 30th today on recreation.gov. I will submit my permit application for a Yosemite start when I am eligible to do so next Friday after 5:00 Pacific Time. While I prefer a Yosemite start, I have no issue with starting on the other end. I prefer to hedge my bet by having the easier permit in my back pocket and not agonizing over whether or not I obtain the desired Yosemite Happy Isles permit.

Yosemite permit application for June 30 start going in at the end of today. 1) HI pass through 2) HI to LYV 3) Sunrise Lakes. Fingers crossed. Again, due to above strategy, I will not lose any sleep over it.

Bigglesworth
01-12-2013, 18:39
Let me jump in here, onegreywolf here, I will be hiking the JMT hopefully starting on July 12, 2013 with two others and plan to finish on or before July 31, 2013.
Did the AT in 2011 and need a new challenge. Would be great to see you all on the trail. Still planning the food drops.

I plan to start within a day or two of you. Is there a new permit process that I'm not aware of? I didn't think you could send your permit for that date yet?

Cookerhiker
01-13-2013, 10:33

I plan to start within a day or two of you. Is there a new permit process that I'm not aware of? I didn't think you could send your permit for that date yet?

For JMT hikes starting in Yosemite, the permit reservation may be made 24 weeks or 168 days in advance. Of course it's advisable to send (fax) it in on that first available day. For a July 12 start, that would be January 25. Here's the link (http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermitdates.htm).

hikerdad1
01-14-2013, 08:12
Good morning all. Great site. May get to see or meet some of you on the JMT. Got my permit confirmation Friday for a start from HI to WP on 6/28/13. My three sons and myself to do the whole trail and 4 other friends bailing at Red's Meadow. Spent 18 days in 2011 in Yosemite and had a blast so we decided to go for the gusto!! Have been enjoying the Sierra since winter of 1983 while serving in the Marine Corp. Left Ca. (Murrieta) in 1992 for the hills of Tennessee. Good luck with all your planning and hope to make some new friends along the trail.

wcgornto
01-14-2013, 15:45
Yosemite permit application for June 30 start going in at the end of today. 1) HI pass through 2) HI to LYV 3) Sunrise Lakes. Fingers crossed. Again, due to above strategy, I will not lose any sleep over it.

Success!! Received confirmation of Happy Isles pass through permit this morning. Now I just have to keep my focus on work, etc. for the next twenty four weeks.

i_Hike
01-14-2013, 16:50
Congrats on the permit, wcgornto. Great feeling to get that out of he way. I should be all finished by the time you head out, hopefully I will be able to provide some good info on weather/snow updates for those of you starting out in early July.

Evenflow
01-14-2013, 17:51
Today I received confirmation that my application was approved. July 1st Happy Isles . yaaaa! Now the rest of the planning. Its hard to think about anything else. Who's gonna join me?

wcgornto
01-14-2013, 18:08
Today I received confirmation that my application was approved. July 1st Happy Isles . yaaaa! Now the rest of the planning. Its hard to think about anything else. Who's gonna join me?

Well, I start one day ahead of you. If you average more than 15 miles per day, you might catch me.

Evenflow
01-14-2013, 22:12
No 15m days at the start for sure. Maybe some days I'll walk that far. Its my first time so im planning a steady pace.

wcgornto
01-14-2013, 23:02
No 15m days at the start for sure. Maybe some days I'll walk that far. Its my first time so im planning a steady pace.

I have a total of fifteen days from Happy Isles to Whitney Portal. So I have no choice but to average fifteen per day. It won't be an issue provided that I am properly conditioned from the start.

staehpj1
01-15-2013, 19:48
I am planning an early August start for a N-S hike.

Bigglesworth
01-16-2013, 17:47
For JMT hikes starting in Yosemite, the permit reservation may be made 24 weeks or 168 days in advance. Of course it's advisable to send (fax) it in on that first available day. For a July 12 start, that would be January 25. Here's the link (http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermitdates.htm).

Thanks. That was the format I was aware of. I appreciate the confirmation.

Bigglesworth
01-16-2013, 17:56

Evenflow, did you get your confirmation by e-mail? Did you fax your permit request in the day you could or 5 pm PT the day before - I understand that either is ok? Any quirks I need to be thinking about. I have to fax mine in soon.

Cookerhiker
01-16-2013, 18:07
What's interesting is that Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks have a different system from Yosemite - instead of the 168 day/24 weeks in advance from the start, it's no earlier than March 1 for all hikes - whether you're starting June 1, July 1, August 15 whatever - send your permit application March 1 or soon thereafter to maximize your chance of getting a permit. Also, the permit reservation must be at least 2 weeks before your hike but I can't imagine anyone waiting that long.

Here's their rules (http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/wilderness_permits.htm). Note that like Yosemite, they also allow hikers without reservations to line up so it depends how you want to chance it.

In my case, I've hiked the JMT from Yosemite Valley to Woods Creek so I'm looking to start at the side trail in Sequoia (http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/WTP-pages-2-11-3.pdf) which goes up to Woods Creek.

wcgornto
01-16-2013, 19:51
And Inyo National Forest is also different ... six months rather than 24 weeks .... reserved online at recreation.gov

wcgornto
01-16-2013, 19:54
Evenflow, did you get your confirmation by e-mail? Did you fax your permit request in the day you could or 5 pm PT the day before - I understand that either is ok? Any quirks I need to be thinking about. I have to fax mine in soon.

In the morning, they take everything that came by fax the night before and randomly sort them, then assign permits. If you wait until the day of, you may end up at the bottom of the stack after the ones that came in overnight.

Cookerhiker
01-16-2013, 20:10
And Inyo National Forest is also different ... six months rather than 24 weeks .... reserved online at recreation.gov

Much thanks - saves me some trouble searching. I haven't decided whether I'm starting at Sequoia or Inyo NF.

Evenflow
01-17-2013, 22:49
I faxed my application in the morning before they opened. I was surprised to accepted on first try. I got an e-mail.at work. I was prepared to send another try that evening. Good luck!

Bigglesworth
01-26-2013, 18:36
Permit Confirmed! I have confirmation on 2 JMT permits and 2 Half Dome permits...starting on July 11! Does anyone know if I can do Half Dome on my second day? Essentially, is my Half Dome permit flexible dates or will it be for the same day the JMT permit is issued? The wording on the Half Dome permit was vague; my e-mail just stated that I have them reserved.

Dogwood
01-27-2013, 01:19
SOO good to see all these easterners expanding their hiking adventures west of the Mississippi. You folks are going to love the JMT. Have a GREAT hike all.

Coffee
02-04-2013, 11:30
JMT Thru Hike Southbound from Happy Isles. Planned start date is September 4 assuming I can get the permit!

1Greywolf
02-05-2013, 17:11
Happy and excited to report that on January 25, 2013 received confirmation from NPS that my application was approved for the JMT thru-hike starting July 12th.
Excited and trying to get into shape. I lost most of what I gained in my AT thru-hike in 2011.

I hope to see some of the 2013 JMT hikers on the trail. A thank you to GG-Man for your help. I am sorry not to have called you. I realized that I need to do more research
before I called with questions that could be answered easily by doing my homework. You have all been great in answering my questions.

Thanks again.

Dogwood
02-05-2013, 18:43
Tentative plan-Start Aug 1, 2013--I am concerened abut the snow pack in the high mountains--Anyone using meds for Acute Mountain Sickness??????????? I get it really bad......

You shouldn't have major or quite possibly any issues with snowpack on the JMT proper with that start date Q-tip. Every yr can be different as far as snowpack though.

In regards to AMS, if you are starting at HI TH, the JMT northern terminus, you'll have time to acclimatize until the highest elevations along the JMT. Seems like so many hikers have that gotta go go go attitude, but when going SOBO JMT and flying in from near sea level locations, I find it helpful spending a day recouping from a long flight/bus ride and acclimatizing a bit by staying in Yosemite Valley at the quieter and off the beaten touristy path Back Packer's CG site a day before starting the JMT. Aside from stealthing in YV or staying at the Climber's CG this is THE PLACE to stay for a backpacker at an extremely affordable rate in YV! It's a short walk or free bus ride to most of YV attractions and services too.

In addition to the prescription drugs for AMS such as nifedipine(Adalat, Nifedical, Procardia), frusamide(Laxis), and acetazolomide(Diamox), which I've never taken, you could check out non-prescriptions, two of which are Cell Food, which according to the manufacturer increases cellular oxygen uptake, and Dimethylglycine(N,N dimetylglycine or DMG), which some "studies suggest that DMG may enhance oxygen utilization during hypoxia, or oxygen deficiency, and decrease lactic acid accumulation due to stress." I've used both of these as part of total regimine to avoid AMS. I've never had AMS from what I'm aware of.

These things also work FOR ME: 1)When hiking/climbing to higher elevations(above 10 k) from a much lower elev. I find it's smart to stay hydrated(as it is all the time), but with added significance when going to higher elevations. 2)ACCLIMATIZE 3) Avoid foods or things that tend to dehydrate or consume more oxygen in the energy conversion of food. For example, consume a diet higher in complex carbs and lower in fats. Avoid alcohol, caffeine, or foods extremely high in sugar or salt(sodium). I also take some supplements, that I take all the time when hiking, that increase circulation including blood flow(more oxygen) such as cayenne, ginger, ginko biloba, Nattokinease, garlic, a high grade kriil or fish oil supplement, and acetyl-L-carnitine. 4) take it easier the first couple of days at elev. 5) hit the trail in the best possible hiking condition whenever possible, it's also going to help in oxygen uptake!

Hope that gives you some info you might need or provide some possible options to prescription drugs.

Michelle Curry
02-11-2013, 18:20
Hey!

I may be hiking at that time too, depending on the snow. It sounds like we're both keeping an eye on the snow situation, but would be nice to know there's some other people on the trail. I did it in 2010, in early July which was a big snow year (everything over 10,000), so if we get lucky with low snow I'd give it a try in June.

My girlfriend and l will be starting the trail from Happy Isles - Yosemite on May 30 thru June 20. Just got the permit confirmation today. Looking forward to some snow. Anyone know a good reliable site to check out current snow pack in the Sierras?

i_Hike
02-11-2013, 22:22
Michelle - definitely nice to see someone else planning to go around the same time... snowpack seems like it is on pace to be manageable in June, though that can easily change in the next two months... Certainly a promising start to the season however. But if I have to take snowshoes, than ill just have to buy some snowshoes.

Dogwood
02-11-2013, 23:02
For all those heading SOBO on the JMT starting at the JMT northern terminus at Happy Isles in June you'll start crossing paths with some of the PCT NOBOers in the month of June, probably around the second or third week of June(it differs from yr to yr though), so trail could/should be broken even if there's snow on the ground(and there MOST LIKELY will be at least some snow in patches, maybe more extensively so, RELAX!). What I'm saying is, it's not likely you are going to be out there all alone breaking trail on the southern half of the JMT even if there is snow on the ground during the third-fourth wk of June. There should be others who have gone before you, NOBO on the PCT, at least in the southern half of the JMT, you could inquire from about trail conditions you will about to experience JMT SOBO. You might/PROBABLY WILL find that some JMT SOBOers are ahead of you or have completed their JMT SOBO hikes ahead of you too. Still too early to tell what it will be like on the ground in mid to late June though. Just keep an eye on it and adjust accordingly to what you feel comfortable with. have a great hike. IMO, some snow makes for a prettier JMT thru-hike anyhow.

wornoutboots
02-12-2013, 01:10
I couldn't pull the trigger last year due to a family situations. Looking forward to hitting it this year @ mid August heading SOBO

Berserker
02-12-2013, 15:49
Permit confirmed for 7/25. "Unfortunately" I have to do the approach trail (Illilouette)...what a terrible problem it is to have to spend another day in the Sierras...oh whatever will I do :). Anyway, looking forward to this. Been planning it off and on since some time in 2011. Can't wait to get out there.

Oh, and by the way for anyone trying to get permits this weekend if you haven't already heard they had some issues with the fax machine and then the email server went down yesterday. Having a somewhat limited number of days I could choose from I just called (which is how I confirmed the issues the office was having as I first found out about it on the JMT Yahoo group) and took Illilouette. I did fax in two applications, and only heard back on one...so apparently one didn't even get through despite it appearing to have gone through on my end.

schnikel
02-12-2013, 21:38
Does anyone know if I can do Half Dome on my second day? Essentially, is my Half Dome permit flexible dates or will it be for the same day the JMT permit is issued?.

The Half Dome permit is a floating permit. If you are hiking out of Happy Isles and night one is in LYV, then you can tag Half Dome early in the morn day 2 then get your packs and head on. Thru hiked in '11 and was the best hike ever! Congrats
Schnikel

jazzmessenger8
02-13-2013, 19:02
I'm planning on going August 1st. I'm faxing in my information tonight to get my permit! Where do you guys get your snowpack information?

jazzmessenger8
02-13-2013, 19:08
My question has already been answered.

Bigglesworth
02-21-2013, 12:52
I'm sure I'll see you 1Greywolf. I start the day before.

Bigglesworth
02-21-2013, 12:58
I'm planning on going August 1st. I'm faxing in my information tonight to get my permit! Where do you guys get your snowpack information?

What is the best resource for snowpack info (sorry if already posted and I missed it!)?

i_Hike
02-21-2013, 13:26
Browse around here Mr bigglesworth

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

i_Hike
02-21-2013, 13:43
Appears large snowfall just missed over the past couple days. Snowfall since late December has been very minimal. Projections over next few weeks appear to be dry as well. Of course it could change drastically, but so far so good in terms of hiking, especially in mid to late summer. As I plan on hiking early June, fingers crossed!

good forecasting for mammoth lakes area...
http://mammothweather.com/

wornoutboots
02-26-2013, 12:55
The Half Dome permit is a floating permit. If you are hiking out of Happy Isles and night one is in LYV, then you can tag Half Dome early in the morn day 2 then get your packs and head on. Thru hiked in '11 and was the best hike ever! Congrats
Schnikel

Sorry Newb here on the JMT. If I camp at LYV day #1, then I hike up to & do Halfmoon Days #2, where do I leave my pack that day? Thanks

1Greywolf
02-27-2013, 09:39
I'm sure I'll see you 1Greywolf. I start the day before.

Hope to see you at HV. These are our plans: The three of us are planning to arrive at HV by the afternoon of 7/11 to pickup our permit early on 7/12.
Still working on the flight from NC to Reno, then drive to Yosemite. We will camp at the Thru-hikers campground that night.
Our plan is to hike from HV to Clouds Rest and go to Sunrise Camp grounds and rejoin the JMT to proceed to Mt. Whitney.
We would like to take it easy these first two/three days to acclimate then maintain between 13/15-miles days.
As you know, plans are just that; what rules are the reality of the trail.
Can't wait.

wornoutboots
02-27-2013, 10:17
Sorry Newb here on the JMT. If I camp at LYV day #1, then I hike up to & do Halfmoon Days #2, where do I leave my pack that day? Thanks

Sorry meant to say "Halfdome" We have a "Halfmoon" here in KY at the Red River Gorge.

I talked to a ranger yesterday, she seemed a little condescending in saying you just leave your pack "there" I said where, she said wherever you want, it's up to you, we've never had a problem & we're not responsible for your things? So I assume, I'll either leave my tent & camp set up with everything inside, then head out to Halfdome for a half day or carry it all the way to the bottom of Halfdome, drop it there & do the climb? Whats the norm?

colorado_rob
02-27-2013, 10:25
Sorry meant to say "Halfdome" We have a "Halfmoon" here in KY at the Red River Gorge.

I talked to a ranger yesterday, she seemed a little condescending in saying you just leave your pack "there" I said where, she said wherever you want, it's up to you, we've never had a problem & we're not responsible for your things? So I assume, I'll either leave my tent & camp set up with everything inside, then head out to Halfdome for a half day or carry it all the way to the bottom of Halfdome, drop it there & do the climb? Whats the norm? Yes just leave your camp set up, grab some food/water/jacket/whatever and head up. This is "the norm" for all such hikes. You'll love Half Dome. I'd head up as early as possible to avoid the crowds as much as possible.

Wow, your mention of Red River Gorge sure brings back good memories... I grew up in Cincinnati, and RRG was my stomping grounds for many years... Cool place.

crhall41
02-27-2013, 23:07
Hoping to start the JMT in late August at Tuolumne Meadows. Looking to finish in 14 days or so. Will probably just send a resupply bucket to MTR and not make any reservations at any of the resorts since I do not want to be forced to held to a schedule.

wornoutboots
02-28-2013, 00:11
Yes just leave your camp set up, grab some food/water/jacket/whatever and head up. This is "the norm" for all such hikes. You'll love Half Dome. I'd head up as early as possible to avoid the crowds as much as possible.

Wow, your mention of Red River Gorge sure brings back good memories... I grew up in Cincinnati, and RRG was my stomping grounds for many years... Cool place.

Thanks!!,,,

jimqpublic
02-28-2013, 13:05
My family of 4 with kids age 10 and 12 are working on a JMT plan for this summer- I estimate we're about 50/50 likely right now. Missed our opportunity to get a reservation but we have been successful in the past with a walk-up permit (get in line at 3:00 AM!). Although the kids have hiked Tuolumne to Happy Isles, it wasn't all on the JMT and they really want to do the whole JMT, all in one go. I did the trail solo in '08 taking two weeks. I have proposed close to 5 weeks for the family:
Home- 1 day transit (AMTRAK) - Yosemite - 1 day permit wait/pizza loading
Happy Isles - 4 days - Tuolumne - rest day
Tuolumne - 4 days - Red's - rest day
Reds- 6 days - Muir Trail Ranch - rest day
MTR- 7 days - Onion Valley - rest day Independence
Onion Valley - 6 days - Whitney Portal
Rest day Independence - 1 day transit (CREST, MetroRail, Metro)- Home
---Net hike days: 27
---Total sofa to sofa: 35 days
Start date somewhere around July 22

wornoutboots
03-01-2013, 14:24
SCORE!!! I finally got my confirmation! I'll be starting at Glacier Point on 8/16. After researching this is where I wanted to start, I felt I can hiking the day before up the HI to LYV without a pack, then start at Glacier Point to catch those views starting out + it should be a much less crowed TH.

Cookerhiker
03-01-2013, 18:09
The plan is to access the JMT from the Woods Creek Trail which is in Sequoia National Park. This park has a different reservation system from Yosemite. Regardless of your starting date, no permit requests can be submitted until March 1. Which is today. So I went to my local UPS store to fax my permit request. Never went through - the lines were busy. No kidding.

They also accept snail mail requests but the postmark can't be prior to March 1 which means those who fax get their's in sooner than those who mail. So how does a snail mailer get his request in time for consideration? I guess I'll find out!

SCORE!!! I finally got my confirmation! I'll be starting at Glacier Point on 8/16. After researching this is where I wanted to start, I felt I can hiking the day before up the HI to LYV without a pack, then start at Glacier Point to catch those views starting out + it should be a much less crowed TH.

Great news!

wornoutboots
03-01-2013, 21:35
The plan is to access the JMT from the Woods Creek Trail which is in Sequoia National Park. This park has a different reservation system from Yosemite. Regardless of your starting date, no permit requests can be submitted until March 1. Which is today. So I went to my local UPS store to fax my permit request. Never went through - the lines were busy. No kidding.

They also accept snail mail requests but the postmark can't be prior to March 1 which means those who fax get their's in sooner than those who mail. So how does a snail mailer get his request in time for consideration? I guess I'll find out!

Great news!

I learned from an earlier post that you can call in your reservation. I was on the phone earlier this week & they were ready to book my trip over the phone, but I didn't want to hike down the the lllilouette Basin then back track. I was on the phone with them this morning as well & she would have booked it but she said if I haven't received a denial by noon my time, then I more than likely was accepted, and she was correct. So I would call & see what they have available, it may be the fastest way, just don't when they open because it's busy for the 1st hour or so.

Kanook
03-02-2013, 20:22
I have a permit for July 10th for myself and a friend. We're hoping to be finished around the 27th or 28th.

Bigglesworth
03-02-2013, 20:43
I have a permit for July 10th for myself and a friend. We're hoping to be finished around the 27th or 28th.

We may see each other. We leave on the 11th and figure I'll end around the 28th - 30th.

Cookerhiker
03-11-2013, 14:46
Just received my permit in the mail - starting Monday, August 12 from the Woods Creek Trailhead in Sequoia NP (http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/2012-Wilderness-Trip-Planner-Text-2-11-Edit-2012-6-8.pdf).

wornoutboots
03-11-2013, 23:56
Just received my permit in the mail - starting Monday, August 12 from the Woods Creek Trailhead in Sequoia NP (http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/2012-Wilderness-Trip-Planner-Text-2-11-Edit-2012-6-8.pdf).

Whooo Hooo!!! Congrats!!

Berserker
03-13-2013, 08:36
I'm going to miss crossing paths with you probably by a couple of days as I'm planning to summit Whitney around 8/14 if everything goes well. The only other time I hiked in the Sierras I did a couple of loops and one of them started at Woods Creek. My recollection is that it's a nice trail. Just be ready for the mile or so sandy slog at the bottom where it's hotter then hades.

SouthMark
03-13-2013, 08:47

Bill, I have a permit for Glacier Point TH for August 9. It's a shame we probably will not meet up along the way. Have a great hike!

Cookerhiker
03-13-2013, 09:33
I'm going to miss crossing paths with you probably by a couple of days as I'm planning to summit Whitney around 8/14 if everything goes well. The only other time I hiked in the Sierras I did a couple of loops and one of them started at Woods Creek. My recollection is that it's a nice trail. Just be ready for the mile or so sandy slog at the bottom where it's hotter then hades.

Thanks. Yes I know about the Woods Creek Trail; the reason I'm starting there is because my 2006 hike ended at the junction by the swinging bridge. At that time, I could see I wasn't going to make Whitney with the amount of food and time remaining so I bailed and hiked down the Woods Creek Trail (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=157523) and eventually got a ride to Fresno. The worst thing that I remember about the Woods Creek trail was the bugs - not biting mosquitoes, but swarming gnats.

In 2012, I started a thruhike with my GF but for different reasons, we ended at Mile 70 (Duck Creek Pass). At least that hike filled in some earlier "gaps" from the 2006 hike so all I have left is the 52 miles from Woods Creek trail junction to Whitney.

I'm somewhat embarrassed that it's taking me 3 different hikes to finish the JMT but I look at it this way: it's such a beautiful trail that I get to be in the high Sierra country 3 times!;)

I plan to arrive at Kings Canyon/Sequoia a week beforehand, base-camp at 7,500', and do day hikes to acclimate.

Bill, I have a permit for Glacier Point TH for August 9. It's a shame we probably will not meet up along the way. Have a great hike!

I was just about to post something on your FB page wondering if you had finally gotten your permit. Have a great hike!

Lone_Star
06-19-2013, 01:29
I'm going to stand in line @ Yosemite and try to get a JMT permit, hopefully for a July 8th start from Happy Isles to Whitney Zone. I plan to take around 20 days and enjoy the scenery. Hope to see you on the trail!

mxracer33x
06-19-2013, 12:38
Im departing on June 30 from Happy Isles. Im permitted @ Rafferty Creek on July 1. So Ive got a long "Dayhike" to pick up my permit by 10 am. :) Hope to see some of you out there.

Lone_Star
06-19-2013, 13:56
Im departing on June 30 from Happy Isles. Im permitted @ Rafferty Creek on July 1. So Ive got a long "Dayhike" to pick up my permit by 10 am. :) Hope to see some of you out there.
Wow, that's a pretty long dayhike given the elevation change you'll have to deal with for the first half.

Berserker
08-19-2013, 13:02
Permit confirmed for 7/25. "Unfortunately" I have to do the approach trail (Illilouette)...what a terrible problem it is to have to spend another day in the Sierras...oh whatever will I do :). Anyway, looking forward to this. Been planning it off and on since some time in 2011. Can't wait to get out there.
Just to follow up, I am an official 2013 JMT thru-hiker. I summitted Whitney on 8/13. Everything went as planned except for the the dang 6 days of smoke from the Aspen fire (Kaiser Wilderness). It is an awesome trail, and was a great overall experience.

One funny thing that happened is I didn't see a bear the entire time I was out there, and then I saw one on the road 15 minutes from my house. Not too sure how many are wandering around these parts, but haven't heard of too many sightings outside of the mountains.

Lone_Star
08-19-2013, 13:30
Congratulations! I completed the JMT, too, on July 24th (19 days, incl. 2 zero days), from Happy Isles to Mt. Whitney with a few side trips along the way. I then took a bus north and hiked the 165 mile Tahoe Rim Trail (10 days). Awesome summer! As for bears, the only one I saw was a brown bear that rushed a lady eating her lunch at Glacier Point in Yosemite. He scared her away and stole her lunch.

Dogwood
08-19-2013, 14:29
Congratulations! I completed the JMT, too, on July 24th (19 days, incl. 2 zero days), from Happy Isles to Mt. Whitney with a few side trips along the way. I then took a bus north and hiked the 165 mile Tahoe Rim Trail (10 days). Awesome summer! As for bears, the only one I saw was a brown bear that rushed a lady eating her lunch at Glacier Point in Yosemite. He scared her away and stole her lunch.

You hiking animal. I love it. I do stuff like that. I figure when I'm in a general area I want to cram as much hiking as I can into my timeframe. Now, might I suggest the PCT or perhaps the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail between Tuolomne Meadows and Tahoe!

Dogwood
08-19-2013, 14:33
As for bears, the only one I saw was a brown bear that rushed a lady eating her lunch at Glacier Point in Yosemite. He scared her away and stole her lunch.

That sounds stupid. If you're going to get run off by a black bear take your food with you. Don't leave it for the bear.

You mean black bear not brown bear. Although black bears can sometimes be brownISH in color.

Lone_Star
08-19-2013, 14:39
You hiking animal. I love it. I do stuff like that. I figure when I'm in a general area I want to cram as much hiking as I can into my timeframe. Now, might I suggest the PCT or perhaps the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail between Tuolomne Meadows and Tahoe!
After 400 miles, I'm humbled! I don't think I'm ready to spend 5-6 months backpacking 20 miles/day. Maybe a section at a time. I ran into a couple that did the Tuolumne Meadows to Tahoe (to Donner Pass) trail. It got me thinking! :)

Lone_Star
08-19-2013, 14:43
As for bears, the only one I saw was a brown bear that rushed a lady eating her lunch at Glacier Point in Yosemite. He scared her away and stole her lunch.

That sounds stupid. If you're going to get run off by a black bear take your food with you. Don't leave it for the bear.

You mean black bear not brown bear. Although black bears can sometimes be brownISH in color.

Personally, I'd leave the food so the bear would stop chasing me. I know they say "a fed bear is a dead bear", but when its charging at you, you don't think about that. And, you're right, it was a black bear that was golden brown in color. My mistake. Thanks for correcting me.23544

Dogwood
08-19-2013, 15:04
Digesting those two thrus may take some time. I understand. Those are two good thrus to do in the area. Congrats.

Never saw a black bear CHASE or CHARGE an ADULT human for food.