PDA

View Full Version : Are Maps Necessary?

LAS
12-26-2012, 17:13
Is it necessary to carry a set of maps with you when you hike the AT? I was looking to take AWOL's the AT Guide with me. Will that be suffice?

hikerboy57
12-26-2012, 17:34
many find the guide ample and its not easy to get lost on the at.. i prefer to carry maps to get a better idea of whats going on around the trail, towns, bailout points blue blazes, etc.
many chose not to carry maps at all.
maps come in particularly handy when youre traveling through the whites. so many trails that some have gotten confusesd at some of the trail crossings.

Tipi Walter
12-26-2012, 17:41
Going out without a map on a new trail, and even in some old haunts, won't happen with me. Sure, a newb could follow the white paint all the way to Maine without a map but I wouldn't do it. The trail isn't a linear tunnel with all else around it superfluous---there's all sorts of side spots you may have to reach. Let's say you've pretty much had it and need to bail to the closest road for a hitch. Can't be done without a map.

Papa D
12-26-2012, 18:19
Going out without a map on a new trail, and even in some old haunts, won't happen with me. Sure, a newb could follow the white paint all the way to Maine without a map but I wouldn't do it. The trail isn't a linear tunnel with all else around it superfluous---there's all sorts of side spots you may have to reach. Let's say you've pretty much had it and need to bail to the closest road for a hitch. Can't be done without a map.

Like Tipi, I always carry a map of the area that I'm in EXCEPT on most parts of the AT - - I find that maps are super cool on the AT in special areas (GSMNP, the Roans, Shenandoah, the Whites, etc) but for the most part the Thru-Hiker's Companion pages or AWOL's guide has all you need - - the Companion does have little (not to scale) maps of towns and nearly every road crossing (in case you want to bail out is described - - better than most maps with phone numbers of hostels, hotels, laundry's etc.) - - I just find that (only on the AT in particular) that I really don't consult the map at all so I usually skip it in favor of pages from a Companion . . . . everywhere else, wilderness areas, national forest travels, other trails, I carry a map and compass.

I do happen to own (nearly) a whole AT map set because I like them. I would not recommend that a thru-hiker purchase a whole set though - - you might find one in a hiker box and, of course, most outfitters along the trail have section maps if you think you might want one - - when you finish that section, toss it in a hiker box.

LAS
12-26-2012, 18:38
Thanks for your help guys! If I do decide to grab some maps, is there one that you guys recommend?

hikerboy57
12-26-2012, 18:39
Thanks for your help guys! If I do decide to grab some maps, is there one that you guys recommend?
the maps from the atc are fine.the most important ones are the sets papa d mentioned above.
personally i always take maps, even if ive hiked the section before.

max patch
12-26-2012, 18:41
Maps are like seatbelts, you don't need them very often, but when you need them, you need them bad.

Cookerhiker
12-26-2012, 18:43
This question comes up every 2-3 months or so, and I guess it will continue to do so.

If you know that in the course of your 2,184 mile hike, you won't need to bail out for an emergency, that everything will go according to plan, that you'll never need to consult a map for any reason, then leave them home. So, for example, you find yourself in a snowstorm in the Smokies where the snow piles faster and deeper at the 5,000'+ level with no end in sight and you think about whether to take that side trail but wonder where it goes, you'll just have to keep wondering.

I've resolved that if I'm out section hiking and a thru (or any hiker) asks to see my map, my response is "Sorry you lost yours. Oh, you didn't bring one? Then why do you want to see mine?"

Papa D
12-26-2012, 18:52

you can order maps here:

www.atctrailstore.org

but, like I said, I'd just order the new Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers Companion - - that (or the Data Book or AWOL's Guide) is all you need for starters.

If you are Northbound, you can stop in at the NOC which is about a 2 weeks up the trail for most people - - they have a good supply - - if you are SOBO, there are outfitters in Monson, ME and Gorham, NH

Astro
12-26-2012, 19:47
It is more of a Risk Management thing. I started out with the ATC GA & NC maps and enjoyed looking at them. Just been using the AWOL AT Guide from Davenport Gap (had GSMNP map inside the park) to Hot Springs with out any problems. Following trail has been easy, but that is with not have any problems or emergencies. The seatbelt analogy may be a good one, and I have just been lucky and need to look at going to the ATC to buy some more. You normaly will not need them (at least in the South), but like stated before, if you do you probably really do.

aficion
12-26-2012, 20:05
If you need a map on the AT around here you probably should not be out in the woods by yourself. I've only done 500 miles of it, but maps seem superfluous given the well maintained and blazed trail, the traffic on trail, and the frequent road crossings. My 2 cents ain't worth a dime, but it is worth 2 cents and might save you more.

Papa D
12-26-2012, 20:08
It is more of a Risk Management thing. I started out with the ATC GA & NC maps and enjoyed looking at them. Just been using the AWOL AT Guide from Davenport Gap (had GSMNP map inside the park) to Hot Springs with out any problems. Following trail has been easy, but that is with not have any problems or emergencies. The seatbelt analogy may be a good one, and I have just been lucky and need to look at going to the ATC to buy some more. You normaly will not need them (at least in the South), but like stated before, if you do you probably really do.

if you are on the AT in an "emergency" you will either backtrack to the last road or forward to the next road much more likely than locating a blue-blaze trail - - the companion and AWOL lists all the blue blaze trails and where the roads go - - the likelihood that a map would assist you in some "emergency" on the AT is highly unlikely - - a map in a big wilderness area on the other hand is an absolute essential survival tool (i.e. Wrangell-St. Elias Wilderness, etc.)

ChinMusic
12-26-2012, 20:15

You got a smartphone? If so you get the likes of Topo Maps and download the quads before you get to em. Then delete the quads as you pass em. If the **** hits the fan you have all the detail you want as well as GPS to tell you where you are. I got semi-lost in Yosemite two years ago (missed a turn and wasn't exactly sure where I ended up), I turned on the app and, pop, "Oh that is where I am and where I need to be". Problem solved.

And no, you do NOT need cell coverage for any of these functions.

Works for me.........YMMV

LAS
12-26-2012, 23:37
Great, thanks for your help guys!

hikerboy57
12-26-2012, 23:48
Great, thanks for your help guys!
so now you know that maps are both necessary and totally unnecessary.
we're always happy to help

ChinMusic
12-26-2012, 23:55
so now you know that maps are both necessary and totally unnecessary.
we're always happy to help

You def cannot accuse some of us of Group Think..........

map man
12-27-2012, 01:46
Maps are beautiful things in and of themselves. Unfolding a map is a pleasant, tactile experience. Contemplating all the lines and colors on a map is aesthetically pleasing, to say the least.

And, yeah, they help you figure out where you are, where you've been, and where you're going. There is that too.

Feral Bill
12-27-2012, 02:45
Maps are beautiful things in and of themselves. Unfolding a map is a pleasant, tactile experience. Contemplating all the lines and colors on a map is aesthetically pleasing, to say the least.

And, yeah, they help you figure out where you are, where you've been, and where you're going. There is that too. I agree 100%

Mountain Mike
12-27-2012, 04:35

And, yeah, they help you figure out where you are, where you've been, and where you're going. There is that too.

+2 I like to know where I am. Although all planning goes out the window when I hit the trail I love to study them before hand & anticipate the route. Helps me get through the times I can't be out there hiking. And like mentioned before they give you bail out routes if you get injured or bad weather routes.

Many hikers complain about the White Mountains. Many trails predate the AT so they are called by their own name. I recommend this map for there. It covers most of the Whites & shows bad weather alternatives/short cut. http://www.amazon.com/White-Mountains-Waterproof-Trail-Map/dp/1890060232/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356582392&sr=8-1&keywords=white+mountain+map

peakbagger
12-27-2012, 08:03
Maps are also a low key way of getting funding for AT maintenance. Contrary to popular belief the federal governement doesnt pay for all the maintenance, the white blazes that folks plan to folow are mostly painted by volunteers outside of National Parks and some National forests.

In Maine and NH, if you do get in trouble and need to find a way off trail, a map is essential as a wrong choice may cause you to go 30 or 40 miles before you hit "civilization". On a foggy or nasty day in the whites its easy to get tunred around and more than a few folks have managed to end up heading south when they wanted to head north at a confusing intersection.

JAK
12-27-2012, 08:24
I love maps and I'm a big advocate of decent topographical maps for all hikes, both for safety and for the full experience, but for a loooooong trail like the AT they add a bit of a logistical conundrum. Not exactly a green solution either, as it is sold now. It should be easier to buy small sections as you go, or maybe sell the entire thing as a roll of toilet paper.

Papa D
12-27-2012, 09:01
Maps are also a low key way of getting funding for AT maintenance. Contrary to popular belief the federal governement doesnt pay for all the maintenance, the white blazes that folks plan to folow are mostly painted by volunteers outside of National Parks and some National forests.

In Maine and NH, if you do get in trouble and need to find a way off trail, a map is essential as a wrong choice may cause you to go 30 or 40 miles before you hit "civilization". On a foggy or nasty day in the whites its easy to get tunred around and more than a few folks have managed to end up heading south when they wanted to head north at a confusing intersection.

This is an excellent point - - Maine and the Whites are a convenient place to have a map - in NH the AT follows a handful of other trails as it winds its way over the big mountains - - the white blazes are also not as easy to follow as elsewhere - - the white blazes are more prominent in ME but it is true that you could get turned around for a long time by following the wrong blue blaze - - this seems unlikely but, sure, go ahead and carry section maps in ME and NH - - - you also make a good point about maintenance support - - I do own all the maps (or at least 90% of them) and find that they are a lot of fun - - the elevation profiles are especially fun to follow and looking at maps at home is a great way to plan a section hike. That said, I would still recommend against an aspiring thru-hiker purchasing a whole AT map set for use in hiking the trail unless they just want to for fun or to support the ATC because you don't need them to follow most of the AT.

kythruhiker
12-31-2012, 16:14
My old map sets are 12-13 years old, and have been loaned out over the years to the point I have no idea what I'm missing. Was considering getting the Pocket Profiles maps that AWOL sells packaged with his guidebook. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Rain Man
12-31-2012, 22:28
Many hikers complain about the White Mountains. Many trails predate the AT so they are called by their own name.

You can count me among those who "complain" about that.

Absolutely agree. They're almost as good for leisure time as a book. Also, funny how hikers who choose not to carry maps often ask to "look at" mine along the trail, at shelters, etc. But having said that, I'm happy to lend them to fellow hikers, who (I imagine) would do the same for me if I needed something else.

I do think failure to carry maps should be one of the considerations in whether or not to charge for a rescue.

Rain Man

Another Kevin
01-01-2013, 03:14
On my clueless weekends, I have been known not to go not only blue-blazing, but also no-blazing. If you're hiking off maintained trails, a good map, a good compass, a watch and the skills to use them are essential. So out of habit I bring maps even on well-marked and busy trails.

I can imagine that would be a logistical problem if I were going hundreds of miles. So I have no advice to offer thru-hikers.

MuddyWaters
01-01-2013, 14:39
Only if you think you might need to take a side trail, and know where it goes. Or know how to get to towns, or where they are in relation to you. You can study this ahead of time for sections too.

You are unlikely to go bushwacking off of the AT though.

As far for being ON the AT. No map is needed. Possibly excepting NH where there are many intersecting trails and the AT has dual names. People take wrong trails there even with maps.

For most of it, it is as Bill Bryson put it: " If you can follow a 4 lane super highway, you can follow the AT. Its the only thing in the woods, thats not woods." Or something to that effect.

Quadzilla
01-03-2013, 12:30
David Millers' Guide (AWOL's AT Guide) is the only guide you need. I used it exclusively during my 2010 thru-hike. I had hiked the AT before back in 1977 & again, in 1982. I used the ATC Guides and maps. Many of the guides, and especially the maps in Virginia and Pennsylvania were poor and not worth the paper they were printed on. I saw much of the same when I planned for my 2010 hike. Millers' book is clear, concise and extremely accurate. The profiles, alone, are worth more than the price of the book. I used the profiles to determine my daily mileage. The profiles told me if I were going to have an "easy" 20 mile day or a difficult time of it. Quite simply....AWOL's Guide is the best--bar none.

joe cool
01-05-2013, 17:42
look on blissfulls blog, and you will find out better , she makes a valid point, I will carry maps.

hikerboy57
01-05-2013, 17:59
You can count me among those who "complain" about that.

Absolutely agree. They're almost as good for leisure time as a book. Also, funny how hikers who choose not to carry maps often ask to "look at" mine along the trail, at shelters, etc. But having said that, I'm happy to lend them to fellow hikers, who (I imagine) would do the same for me if I needed something else.

I do think failure to carry maps should be one of the considerations in whether or not to charge for a rescue.

Rain Man

.i ve carried maps and passed them on to a nobo as i finshed the section and had no use for it anymore. the 2 guys i gave maps to last year seemed extremely appreciative, so i guess having a map does have some merit.

swjohnsey
01-06-2013, 08:28
Maps are not necessary and most don't carry 'em. I had no problem through the Whites but you need to pay attention.

Tumbleweed1
01-07-2013, 00:47
David Millers' Guide (AWOL's AT Guide) is the only guide you need. I used it exclusively during my 2010 thru-hike.
The profiles, alone, are worth more than the price of the book. I used the profiles to determine my daily mileage. The profiles told me if I were going to have an "easy" 20 mile day or a difficult time of it. Quite simply....AWOL's Guide is the best--bar none.
Are you saying there are profiles IN the AWOL guide, or do you mean the separately purchased set of profile maps?

ChinMusic
01-07-2013, 10:48
Are you saying there are profiles IN the AWOL guide, or do you mean the separately purchased set of profile maps?

Each page in AWOL's book has the profiles on them.

Mapdana makes a specific set of strip maps. AWOL sells them as well: http://www.shop.theatguide.com/Pocket-Profile-full-set-for-AT-PPFS.htm

Mags
01-07-2013, 10:51
Garlic put it best: If you have to ask if you should carry maps or not, you probably should. :)

ATMountainTime
01-07-2013, 14:28
I didn't take a map a few years ago on a trail that ive been down a dozen times. However that particular time the DNR closed the road and trail. Had to go around to another trailhead which i had not hike before, I hadn't planned on the terrain and mileage, and had a heck of a weekend.

knowing me, the one time i leave it, is when i need it. Ill take the wieght in lieu of safety.

rusty bumper
01-08-2013, 10:36
I used AWOL's guide on my 2011 AT hike and carried no maps. When I was in Maine and hurricane Irene came through, I sure wish I'd had a set of maps to help locate walk-arounds for the steams and rivers that became impossible to ford due to the high water level. If I were to thru-hike again I'd use only the guide until I got to Maine, when I'd make sure I had a set of maps as well.