PDA

View Full Version : New tent.

McFrancis
12-26-2012, 19:52
Looking to buy a new tent. Looking for a light weight two man. Two reason for two man is storing stuff in tent and usually hiking with some buddies. Looking at Big Agnes or a tartent. Any other suggestions?

4Bears
12-26-2012, 22:33
You might also look at lightheart tents, they are on sale right now. www.lightheartgear.com/ (http://www.lightheartgear.com/)

Zmaidment
12-26-2012, 23:25
Sierra designs mojo

Rasty
12-27-2012, 00:07
Looking to buy a new tent. Looking for a light weight two man. Two reason for two man is storing stuff in tent and usually hiking with some buddies. Looking at Big Agnes or a tartent. Any other suggestions?

Tarptents are great. Double Rainbow for me.

Now my wife won't let me get near a Tartent.:)

skell23
12-27-2012, 00:19
You can not go wrong with a Marmot Aspen 2, the cross support really makes it seem a lot bigger inside. Dicks Sporting Goods has them exclusively and they are currently 129.00.

McFrancis
12-27-2012, 10:27
good idea, Tarptent

polechar
12-27-2012, 10:50
check out Lightheart gear, I love my SoLong 6, Its big enough for two with room at the ends for gear. The Duo is even bigger. They are very light tents.

Old Hiker
12-27-2012, 11:26
check out Lightheart gear, I love my SoLong 6, Its big enough for two with room at the ends for gear. The Duo is even bigger. They are very light tents.

+ on the SoLong - on sale right now thru Dec. I'm ordering the one I REALLY wanted today - on sale - two doors, right color. I got one of the prototypes (I think) for the SoLong. I really like it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions

Greyson2
12-27-2012, 14:37
Newbie here, with lots of questions about tents. It looks like this may be the right tent for me, but i am curious..... I am looking for a tent that holds me and my daughter, and possibly my dog. My daughter is only 6, and is as small as they get. Will we fit somewhat comfortably in the lightheart duo, with our packs? Is it a good investment when deciding a durable, lightweight waterproof tent?
Im really interested in just buying this product, but was hoping someone could give a little input, on just how big it is inside. Dimensions are just number to me right now.

Greyson2
12-27-2012, 14:39
Sorry for the double post, but whats the difference between the Duo and the Duo Wedge? (Is it just the awning)

jbwood5
12-27-2012, 14:59
The Vaude Eco Refuge is a 2 man lightweight tent that requires use of 2 trekking poles for setup. It is pretty light weight and is on sale for $120 plus $8 shipping at the Clymb. The style is more like a pup tent. I just got one for Christmas, and so far, only have set it up to check it out. I haven't used it in the field yet, but it looks to be pretty good. There is a pretty good amount of room inside and I like that you can sit up in it with head room.

Greyson2
12-27-2012, 15:22
Oh No! Just what i need, another option! LOL Now that you have opened my eyes to this option as well, is it worth the price decrease to go with the Vaude? Or do i pay the extra 150.00 and buy the lightheart? Is it completely waterproof, that is a huge factor in my decision making. BTW, thank you JBWood, you can never have to many options can you?
Can someone chime in as to which product they would go with for a two person, lightweight tent. Comfortable enough for a 6 year old, and cost conscious.

Feral Bill
12-27-2012, 15:32
Most two person tents are rather small for two adults, but fine for an adult and child. Either buy from a store with the tents in stock and ready to put up and try there, or on-line from a vendor who takes returns if it doesn't suit you. The owner of Lightheart is very helpful. I'd take a serious look at her tents.

jbwood5
12-27-2012, 16:06
Oh No! Just what i need, another option! LOL Now that you have opened my eyes to this option as well, is it worth the price decrease to go with the Vaude? Or do i pay the extra 150.00 and buy the lightheart? Is it completely waterproof, that is a huge factor in my decision making. BTW, thank you JBWood, you can never have to many options can you?
Can someone chime in as to which product they would go with for a two person, lightweight tent. Comfortable enough for a 6 year old, and cost conscious.

Keep in mind that these are considered minimalist tents. You can see the dimensions with this video although they are metric cm units:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hms_yfikYMI

Here is another Video (German) that shows the tent set up in a wind and snow storm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8gCKXzTq2Y
It is considered a 3 season tent though and probably wouldn't do good in heavy wet snow.

One thing I don't like so far is that there are a number of guy lines that must be pegged down, so it can't be free standing. I was attracted by the light weight (about 2 pounds+) and the price which I have only been able to find at the one website I mentioned. There really aren't too many reviews out at this time since it appears to have been released in 2012. I'm looking to transition to a lighter setup and slowly updating my equipment.

G-FOURce
12-27-2012, 20:58
my $0.02...

look at a LOT of tents (you can do this online and in stores). there are pros and cons to all of them, so i would suggest you look at a bunch of them, list out what you liked and didn't, then make a list for yourself of things you MUST HAVE (like free-standing or uses trekking poles), things you WILL NOT accept (like single-wall or front entry), and things you would like to have but can do without (like double vestibules). then, when you have a clearer idea of what you want, circle back around and find the one or two or three tents that fit your parameters and go from there. also, don't be afraid to buy used. i have gotten several tents that i couldn't afford at full retail by being patient and sniffing around a bit. just do your homework on the goods and the seller and you should be fine.

good luck!

polechar
12-27-2012, 21:37
Newbie here, with lots of questions about tents. It looks like this may be the right tent for me, but i am curious..... I am looking for a tent that holds me and my daughter, and possibly my dog. My daughter is only 6, and is as small as they get. Will we fit somewhat comfortably in the lightheart duo, with our packs? Is it a good investment when deciding a durable, lightweight waterproof tent?
Im really interested in just buying this product, but was hoping someone could give a little input, on just how big it is inside. Dimensions are just number to me right now.
I think the duo would be big enough for what you need, I have the SoLong 6 and their is enough room for my gear and my dog and his pack and zrest pad with room to spare, The Duo is even bigger so I think it would be roomy for what your looking for IMO.

McFrancis
12-28-2012, 11:24
my $0.02...

look at a LOT of tents (you can do this online and in stores). there are pros and cons to all of them, so i would suggest you look at a bunch of them, list out what you liked and didn't, then make a list for yourself of things you MUST HAVE (like free-standing or uses trekking poles), things you WILL NOT accept (like single-wall or front entry), and things you would like to have but can do without (like double vestibules). then, when you have a clearer idea of what you want, circle back around and find the one or two or three tents that fit your parameters and go from there. also, don't be afraid to buy used. i have gotten several tents that i couldn't afford at full retail by being patient and sniffing around a bit. just do your homework on the goods and the seller and you should be fine.

good luck!

Excellentsuggestion. This is why I like this web site. There are a bunch of good leads.My experiences are limited but I have good idea of what I am looking for sinceI can see the plus and minus of several features. The first being is that I don’twant a single wall design. The hybrids do offer some thought. Since I tend tohike with friends I like the idea of double entry and vestibule. Not sure Ihave to have free standing that would be a question I need answered. Have not needed up to this point but mainly hikein the east. The biggest feature is to cut weight and durability.

hermit1970
12-30-2012, 22:24

I have a lightweight MSR Fast Stash 2P Tarp Shelter for sale if your interested. Only used a few nights. Lists for $300. Will sell for $200.

linder
12-30-2012, 23:40
The Echo II is a 2 person tent, weighs less than 2 lbs, takes only a few minutes to set up. It's about $550.00

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
12-31-2012, 03:50
Me? I like cheap. Gander Mountain has their knockoff of the Sierra Designs Flashlight for $49 on sale. 3 pds. It's not all that light for one person size, but really for that price everything else can suck it.

bfayer
12-31-2012, 06:45
Excellentsuggestion. This is why I like this web site. There are a bunch of good leads.My experiences are limited but I have good idea of what I am looking for sinceI can see the plus and minus of several features. The first being is that I don’twant a single wall design. The hybrids do offer some thought. Since I tend tohike with friends I like the idea of double entry and vestibule. Not sure Ihave to have free standing that would be a question I need answered. Have not needed up to this point but mainly hikein the east. The biggest feature is to cut weight and durability.

The only time I have ever "Needed" a free standing tent is when my only option was a tent platform. You can save some significant weight if you can go without free standing. If tent platforms are in your future then free standing may be worth it. You will find some very light weight free standing tents, however you need to look at the interior space, some of them (like my BA FC2) are not really 2 person tents. What you gain in convenience with a free standing, you give up in either size or weight.

hikerhobs
12-31-2012, 16:14
cabela's xpg ultralight 2-person tent.