PDA

View Full Version : Snowpack levels in Idaho and Wyoming?

wren
05-28-2005, 15:45
Anyone have any first hand information about the snowpack levels in either the Bitterroot Range in Idaho, or the Wind River Range in Wyoming? I have some free time in the next couple of weeks, and im spitballing ideas for trips.

This season, we have had record snowpacks in Utah, and theres still plenty of snow hanging around.. (i'll be going snowboarding on memorial day) Ive done plenty of snowshoe trips here this winter, but it would be nice to get into some mountains that have melted out a bit..

Seems like most of the folks that frequent this board live back east, but i figured id throw this question out here for the heck of it... Thanks.

plodder
05-28-2005, 19:13
I heard 400% snowpack on the tube. Accurate or Weather Channel blather?

Footslogger
05-29-2005, 21:11
Wren ...we live in Wyoming are just coming back home from 2 days of hiking in SE Wyoming near the WYO/CO line (about an hour east of the CDT). Below 8,000 - 9000 ft the snow is mostly gone. Small patches remain with loads of runoff. Trails are mushy at best. We have not venured above 10,000 ft yet based on advice from the local ranger office. Our road access to trail heads at those elevations just openned last week but the trails (according to USFS Rangers) are still heavily snow covered and impassible.

I know that doesn't address your question about the Wind River area but my guess is that the conditions are generally the same there.

'Slogger

wren
05-30-2005, 18:55
thanks slogger. Thats about what i was expecting. Its still really early in the season out here no matter what the snowpack. Even though spring isnt happening above 9000' for another month or so, its tough to see it popping down low and have to wait to enjoy the alpine spring. Still, this is a neat time of year to be hiking. Challenging conditions to say the least.