PDA

View Full Version : finally set a date....2017

trapper
12-26-2012, 20:41
my son will be 15 that year and we're gonna do the AT...can't wait to share it with him...i know its a long way off bit it will give me plenty of time to save the money to hike plus the money my wife will need to keep up on the house and bills...the AT already consumes most of my thoughts and is almost an obsession...anyone else have this?
almost everything i do is centered around walking on this trail. i cannot
even walk thru a store
without looking at stuff and thinking what stuff weighs.

aficion
12-26-2012, 21:03
I'll be trying my thru that year too. Can't wait. Understand the fascination completely. My boys will be 19, 17, and 15 that year, and will each do whatever part of the hike they choose. I'll be 62 and continuing to live the dream.

map man
12-26-2012, 23:14
I envy you that your thru-hike is coming up that soon since my date is 2021! Good luck.

rambunny
12-27-2012, 02:52
Ya'all are going to be the one's who make it! When that fire burns so bright and the AT calls your name so loud others can here it!!!! Giddy up!!!!!Part of the journey for me was the dreaming and planning-the lists of what you will eat at what shelter makes great firestarter!

trapper
12-27-2012, 11:33
thanks for the positive comments guys...hope it an experience of a lifetime...going to curb my appetite with continuing sections couple times a year

MuddyWaters
12-27-2012, 15:39
I assume you are just doing a section?
Else how would a high school age student have the time?

Karma13
12-27-2012, 15:46
Good luck to you! Hey, you never know. My date was 2017, and it kept magically getting pulled up... until now it's 2013!

trapper
12-28-2012, 08:18
I assume you are just doing a section?
Else how would a high school age student have the time?no we are GA /ME he will work ahead through out the year to be able to take off...

Feral Bill
12-28-2012, 13:08
I plan to be out that year as well. See you there!

MuddyWaters
12-28-2012, 20:56
no we are GA /ME he will work ahead through out the year to be able to take off...

if u can do that, that's great. many states have laws that require to be in school a minimum # of days per yr to pass and graduate when in high school.

trapper
12-28-2012, 21:20
if u can do that, that's great. many states have laws that require to be in school a minimum # of days per yr to pass and graduate when in high school.if they won't allow it ill fight it if that don't work he will make it up or repeat the grade its not going to stop us

MuddyWaters
12-29-2012, 22:15
Only reason I mentioned it is I ran into issues when my kids got to high school, cant even take vacations when desired. My kids can only miss 10 days per semester in any class under state law, and still receive credit for that class. We have to schedule orthodontist appts, dr appts, etc around the classes missed to even it out, cannot always do first or last period.

All thru grades school, middle school, we would take vacations when wanted to (especially winter skiing vacations) and everything was cool. Teachers let them make up work, or gave it to them ahead of time. Couldnt do it anymore when they got in HS. Always are worried about missing too many days. For us, its a state law, applies to public and private schools. Even if the absence is excused, ie sick, doesnt matter. School related functions (sports functions, club functions, etc) are excluded however. After they have missed 6 days in a class, we get letters in the mail.

allwen
06-02-2013, 06:09
I will be out in 2017 as well. We tried in 2011 and had to pull out due to injury and insufficient visa time for it to heal. I will be back on my own, and will be 65! Husband will be staying back in Australia to look after our 2 Beagles, 2 Burmese and 2 Maine Coons (closest we could get to Maine!) The dream is a burning ache that won't leave me, I have held this dream for so many years that I just have to try it again. Taz (of Taz & Walkabout Roo)