PDA

View Full Version : 5 day 4 night hike

Rubbersole
12-27-2012, 10:43
In the middle of March my 3 brothers and I are planning a 4 night 5 day hike. We will be traveling from Ohio. We are trying to find out what portion of the trail would be the best during this time of the year. Ideally it would be a more advanced section of the trail.

Cookerhiker
12-27-2012, 10:57
Not sure by what you mean by "more advanced" but to me the question is: do you want solidarity or are you willing to hike in the midst of the thruhikers who start from Springer mostly between March 1 and April 1? I'm guessing that you'd rather not have crowded shelters and/or campsites.

And coming from Ohio, the first place that came to my mind was Shenandoah National Park (http://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm). Hiking between Rockfish Gap and Big Meadows is about 60 miles. You'll have to be alert to weather conditions because the Park closes Skyline Drive when icy but they make an effort to keep access to Big Meadows open.

chelko
12-27-2012, 14:25
I second the SNP suggestion. Maybe Damascus north through Mt Rogers to Pearisburg. The Smokies and the Nantahalas will be overrun with thrus.