PDA

View Full Version : Odd sleeping bag preference

Seabird
12-27-2012, 14:24
I'm going to be hiking the AT southbound either this year or next. My boyfriend may or may not be going with me, but he will definitely be coming on at least a few overnights/week trips between now and then, so we're working on getting gear together for him.
We were talking about sleeping bags, and he mentioned that his primary concern is his feet. Namely, he has very hot feet- even on the coldest nights here (and we keep the thermostat really low to conserve energy at night...) when we're using a quilt plus a few blankets, he must stick his feet out of the blankets in order to be comfortable. This is obviously impossible in any sleeping bag I know of, and while I've been reading up on quilts it seems that many of them even have a footbox sewn in for the purpose of keeping feet warm.
Does anyone know of a sleeping bag that maybe has a second zipper at the bottom, or any other recommendations for him? He asked me to post on his behalf. I'm aware that on cold nights he will want to keep his feet in, but any night above fortyfive or fifty degrees (or maybe colder!) he'd probably be rather uncomfortable.

Starchild
12-27-2012, 14:29
I believe* every bag I have is openable near the feet and just for the reason you state, some people's feet to get too hot. I don't think you will have any trouble finding such a bag.

* Actually I know that all 4 bags have this because my feet sometimes get too hot and I need to do this too.

Seabird
12-27-2012, 15:09
Thank you, Starchild!
The sleeping bag I have (old, cheap, going to replace) does have an appropriate zipper, but it's a big rectangle made for car camping and it looks like some mummy bags might not... Glad to hear that it shouldn't be too hard to find!

map man
12-27-2012, 17:08
Most of the quilts I'm familiar with the footbox can be eliminated by undoing some snaps or ties, leaving you with a flat quilt, if conditions and your preference merit that.

SCRUB HIKER
12-27-2012, 17:33
A few quilts have the footbox sewn in, and some quiltmakers have it as an option (I know in particular that Jacks R Better does), but I spent all spring this year quilt-browsing online and I think the majority of them do not sew the footbox as their default option. Since the only major manufacturer that I know of that makes truly lightweight, high-quality quilts (less than 30oz) is GoLite, you have to look at cottage manufacturers if you're interested in quilts. WhiteBlaze's list of cottage manufacturers (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85162-list-of-cottage-industry-manufacturers-updated)is invaluable for that.

Mountain Mike
12-27-2012, 20:01
Feathered Friend Rock Wren has a drawstring at the foot.

Don H
12-27-2012, 20:14
Lots of sleeping bags have a full length zipper with pulls at both ends so you can unzip the bottom and stick your feet out.

jeffmeh
12-27-2012, 20:15
For a great value on a high-quality quilt, you may want to check out http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelationx.html. There are plenty of other good quilt offerings out there that would work as well.

Wise Old Owl
12-27-2012, 20:18
And if you do not find what you are looking for ask for custom - you are just adding a small zipper. and/or a small baffle.

brian039
12-27-2012, 20:46
Has he ever slept in a sleeping bag? The reason I ask is because your feet are always the coldest part, at least in my down bag it is.

Papa D
12-27-2012, 22:00
I'm not a big fan of the North Face (if I get hot, I just unzip my Western Bag) but their Fission bag has a footbox you can un-zip and stick your feet out of - - I'd be weary of their "20 degree" rating - I'd guess it's more like 32

Seabird
12-28-2012, 01:49
Thank you everyone for the advice! brian039, he has slept in a sleeping bag many times, and has coped with either finding a way to get his feet out or having hot feet, but now that he's really putting thought into making a big purchase for himself (rather than a hand-me-down or borrowing one) he wants to make sure it's as convenient and comfortable as possible for him.
He says the Feathered Friends Rock Wren looks absolutely amazing and perfect, so we might see if we can find a more wallet-friendly used one online someplace.

Snowleopard
12-29-2012, 12:52
Most of the cottage manufacturers would customize their design to suit his hot feet. In some cases it might even be a few dollars cheaper than their standard design. I'd suggest calling enlightened equipment, mountain laurel designs or Jacks r better and asking about it. Also, sewing a rectangular quilt with synthetic insulation good down to about 30F is pretty easy. Here's a place that sells quilt kits: http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

Franco
01-02-2013, 00:44
Seabird
"lots of" and "all" may sound good but what are their names ???(the full zip usually stops short of the foot box)
The mummy bags I can think of(WM/REI/RAB/Macpac/Marmot) don't have a foot zipper, I suspect that it may be more of a rectangular bag thing..
However I do know that some TNF and Kelty have (or had) a foot box zipper.
Failing having members stating the name of those bags they have with that feature, you might just have to go to your nearest REI or whatever and have a look...

leaftye
01-02-2013, 01:08
We were talking about sleeping bags, and he mentioned that his primary concern is his feet. Namely, he has very hot feet- even on the coldest nights here (and we keep the thermostat really low to conserve energy at night...) when we're using a quilt plus a few blankets, he must stick his feet out of the blankets in order to be comfortable. This is obviously impossible in any sleeping bag I know of, and while I've been reading up on quilts it seems that many of them even have a footbox sewn in for the purpose of keeping feet warm.

This is why I love EnLIGHTened Equipment quilts. Here's the end of the footbox. I think the picture says it all, but I have the same quilt with more down, so please let me know if I'm wrong.

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1266607469_21500.jpg