PDA

View Full Version : which montbell down jacket to buy????

saltysack
12-27-2012, 18:58
Narrowed it down to one of the several montbell down jackets to layer over my r1. Also want to use around town. What model do most prefer?? Just curious. Hood?

ChinMusic
12-27-2012, 19:04
Down jackets are for camp or for rest stops. I always want a hood option for these tasks.

hikerboy57
12-27-2012, 19:12
i just bought the frost line parka, which is overkill for the at but will serve me well for winter camping. i agree with chin music, prefr a hood, its not for hiking, just for camp.

Papa D
12-27-2012, 19:13
I have a western mountaineering down jacket and a montbell - my WM is warmer and it has "windstopper" - - the fabric seems a little more durable than the MB also - like you're in camp but you want to rummage through the brush to collect some firewood - the Montbell seems more fragile - - I'm not sure what model I have of either - they both compress about the same - my Montbell has some duct tape patching on the sleeve where it tore (last year, I think) fwiw

Rasty
12-27-2012, 19:16
I have the Montbell Alpinelite Parka with hood. It a good compromise between the UL and Frostline.

rjhouser
12-27-2012, 19:31
I used the montbell thermawrap on my thru, no hood (had a wool cap).

jeffmeh
12-27-2012, 20:08
EX Light is great also, and about the lightest choice for a sleeved down jacket. Add a hat, and a balaclava if the conditions warrant it. If you are calorie-deprived on a thru-hike, you will even get use out of it in milder temperatures, making it useful for the entire trip.

Wise Old Owl
12-27-2012, 21:02
yup +2 Chin is right - just for camp - the hood can be a fleece beanie.

l84toff
12-27-2012, 21:10
Narrowed it down to one of the several montbell down jackets to layer over my r1. Also want to use around town. What model do most prefer?? Just curious. Hood?

I've been contemplating the exact same thing recently. My conclusion is that "around town" and "hiking purposes" are 2 distinct needs for me. As a result, I picked up a EddieBauer FA Downlight jacket (http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=37542&&categoryId=28480&categoryName=JACKETS--VEST&pCategoryId=28476&pCategoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT&gpCategoryId=28475&gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&ggpCategoryId=1&ggpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=28480~~categoryName=JACKETS--VEST~~pCategoryId=28476~~pCategoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT~~gpCategoryId=28475~~gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT~~ggpCategoryId=1~~ggpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=n&pg=1&cmPathInfo=null) a few days ago. I really had a hard time in deciding on hood or not and ultimately ended up with no hood, just felt better on. Having said that, I'm still thinking about taking it back for a hooded version. This jacket is my "around town" jacket for the winter mostly.
As for hiking, I'm thinking of the EX light or UL down jacket/parka from Montbell. I'm also looking into having one made instead, this allows for customization of material and amount down, about the only thing I would change in the EX light is add some more down to it. I'm not typically a cold person but on a cold night, an hour after I stop hiking till about an hour after I'm laying in the hammock, I seem to be colder than any other time.

Initially I was looking for something that would pull double duty; hiking and an all around town jacket in the winter. However I came to the realization that I should really be looking at 2 separate jackets. After buying the EB FA down jacket, I think for the $, it's an excellent jacket that would handle both tasks really well. But at 12.8oz (measured at home on my scale), it's more than I want to carry on a thru or anything more than a day or so.

Rasty
12-27-2012, 21:13
I've been contemplating the exact same thing recently. My conclusion is that "around town" and "hiking purposes" are 2 distinct needs for me. As a result, I picked up a EddieBauer FA Downlight jacket (http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=37542&&categoryId=28480&categoryName=JACKETS--VEST&pCategoryId=28476&pCategoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT&gpCategoryId=28475&gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&ggpCategoryId=1&ggpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=28480~~categoryName=JACKETS--VEST~~pCategoryId=28476~~pCategoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT~~gpCategoryId=28475~~gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT~~ggpCategoryId=1~~ggpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=n&pg=1&cmPathInfo=null) a few days ago. I really had a hard time in deciding on hood or not and ultimately ended up with no hood, just felt better on. Having said that, I'm still thinking about taking it back for a hooded version. This jacket is my "around town" jacket for the winter mostly.
As for hiking, I'm thinking of the EX light or UL down jacket/parka from Montbell. I'm also looking into having one made instead, this allows for customization of material and amount down, about the only thing I would change in the EX light is add some more down to it. I'm not typically a cold person but on a cold night, an hour after I stop hiking till about an hour after I'm laying in the hammock, I seem to be colder than any other time.

Initially I was looking for something that would pull double duty; hiking and an all around town jacket in the winter. However I came to the realization that I should really be looking at 2 separate jackets. After buying the EB FA down jacket, I think for the $, it's an excellent jacket that would handle both tasks really well. But at 12.8oz (measured at home on my scale), it's more than I want to carry on a thru or anything more than a day or so.

Take a look at the Montbell Alpinelite without the hood. Wait for a sale. I got the hooded version for $150. I think the non hood version was $140. http://www.backcountrygear.com/mens-apparel/mens-jackets/down-jackets/montbell-alpine-light-down-jacket-mens.html

l84toff
12-27-2012, 21:23
Take a look at the Montbell Alpinelite without the hood. Wait for a sale. I got the hooded version for $150. I think the non hood version was $140. http://www.backcountrygear.com/mens-apparel/mens-jackets/down-jackets/montbell-alpine-light-down-jacket-mens.html

At 13.5oz it's heavier than the EB FA but but has more down, it's also 30D (MB) vs 20D shell (EB FA) so it would be an excellent choice for winter wear around home (for me at least). Although at $140 it's still 40% more than the EB FA downlight jacket so I suppose one should figure out how much the extra down/warmth is worth to them.

Del Q
12-27-2012, 22:16
I made the mistake of buying a jacket without a hood, dumb, .......

.......also, I carry a down bag to sleep in, I can a;ways use that for warmth,

I decided on SYNTHETIC with my super-lightweight Mont Bell jacket. Glad that I did, when the humidity if high (often on the AT), that becomes a non-issue unlike down which is a non starter.

A few ounces more.............I voted for synthetic in this case

What led me to this was speaking with a SOBO who spent some nasty, cold, wet WEEKS in Maine..........said that his synthetic jacket was crucial gear to have!

Point, click, credit card, done.

saltysack
12-28-2012, 12:21
Alpenlite it is...should I get hooded version. I always carry my Patagonia fleece Bernie so do I need hood? Hood fit under cheap rain gear ie frogg toggs? How foes hood look, as I plan to use around town and not sure about hood? Thoughts??
Thx ahain

ChinMusic
12-28-2012, 14:37
Alpenlite it is...should I get hooded version. I always carry my Patagonia fleece Bernie so do I need hood? Hood fit under cheap rain gear ie frogg toggs? How foes hood look, as I plan to use around town and not sure about hood? Thoughts??
Thx ahain

I only have a hood for my rain jacket for hiking. My head can have a hat, Buff, or balaclava while hiking if I need more protection. For camp, if it is cold enough for my down jacket it is often cold enough for me to enjoy the extra hood as well. Again, down (I think you selected a down jacket) is for camp, not hiking. Once I stop I like the hood for the extra warmth. Also, I do not often put my head in my sleeping bag. I just feel claustrophobic. I often wear my down jacket to bed as a part of my sleep system.

You are going to get differing opinions on hood/no-hood, but those opinions are why you came here.

10-K
12-28-2012, 14:52
Do compare whatever with the GoLite Roan Plateau 800 fill down parka. I just picked one of these up for $119 with free shipping over Christmas and I like it very much.

Currently $149 with free shipping. http://www.golite.com/Ms-Roan-Plateau-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Parka-P46883.aspx

--- 10-K, AKA GoLite shill... :)

ChinMusic
12-28-2012, 15:08
Do compare whatever with the GoLite Roan Plateau 800 fill down parka. I just picked one of these up for $119 with free shipping over Christmas and I like it very much.

Currently $149 with free shipping. http://www.golite.com/Ms-Roan-Plateau-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Parka-P46883.aspx

--- 10-K, AKA GoLite shill... :)

Hey Shill - That does look like a sweet jacket.

colorado_rob
12-28-2012, 15:18
Not important to some, but for those that care about weight, please check this before buying. Assuming the OP was asking about jackets for the AT starting in the spring (a big assumption), you can get a lot of warmth in a 8-10 oz jacket. No need for over a pound for the AT.

In answer to the OP; I own the MB UL jacket, both without and with a hood (weights = 7.7 oz and 9.9 oz respectively), and the MB thermawrap (w/o a hood, weight = 9.6). Given the generally wet conditions, I'll probably start my AT next spring with the MB thermawrap. My go-to jacket in drier conditions is the hoodless MB UL down. I carry the hooded down only in late fall/early spring in Colorado. I bought all of these MB jackets on some sort of sale, at least 20% off, low 100's price.

Rasty
12-28-2012, 15:21
Not important to some, but for those that care about weight, please check this before buying. Assuming the OP was asking about jackets for the AT starting in the spring (a big assumption), you can get a lot of warmth in a 8-10 oz jacket. No need for over a pound for the AT.

In answer to the OP; I own the MB UL jacket, both without and with a hood (weights = 7.7 oz and 9.9 oz respectively), and the MB thermawrap (w/o a hood, weight = 9.6). Given the generally wet conditions, I'll probably start my AT next spring with the MB thermawrap. My go-to jacket in drier conditions is the hoodless MB UL down. I carry the hooded down only in late fall/early spring in Colorado. I bought all of these MB jackets on some sort of sale, at least 20% off, low 100's price.

I advised a heavier jacket! He's from Florida after all. :)

ChinMusic
12-28-2012, 15:45
I advised a heavier jacket! He's from Florida after all. :)

LOL, I tend to look at that stuff too. I remember reading one Floridian's comment about being out in the cold. "It got down to 40 on my trip, and that was not windchill".

Rasty
12-28-2012, 15:47
LOL, I tend to look at that stuff too. I remember reading one Floridian's comment about being out in the cold. "It got down to 40 on my trip, and that was not windchill".

I'm the same way. I spend my working day in a commercial kitchen at a nice cool 100 degrees. So I tend to be colder then most.

BrianLe
12-28-2012, 15:49
Not enough information. I own more than one down jacket, because there are differing situations. Without knowing the particular conditions contemplated, I don't think a recommendation is helpful.

I will say that both of my down jackets are Montbell brand, one EX Light and one an Alpine Light Parka. Both are excellent, but they're quite different. And I'll often layer them with a mix of other clothing items, which also impacts the particular down jacket I take on a particular trip. Ditto which sleeping bag I'm using.

saltysack
12-28-2012, 16:59
I am a Floridian, just bought a marmot helium 15 deg down bag cause froze my arse off on last hike when temps were in low 30's. I only had my capilene and r1 in an old 30 deg syn bag with reactor liner. I'm trying to kill 2 birds w 1 stone by buying a warmer layer to go over my r1 and caps around camp and also wear while not hiking, around town for every day use... not trail blazing but I do have pets and kids so needs to be alittle more than paper thin but am weight conscious but not a gram weenie. I don't plan to hike in the down.

Thx

saltysack
12-28-2012, 17:00
For my uses which oof the 2 do you recc?

10-K
12-28-2012, 17:25
Have you considered combining a mid weight fleece with a mb themawrap?

Worn together it would be very warm.

Fleece is inexpensive, doesn't compress as well as down and it isn't as light but it works very well as part of a layering system.

saltysack
12-28-2012, 18:02
Y I have a Patagonia r1 &2 I love but want a light weight down jkt

jeffmeh
12-28-2012, 18:47
Thru-hiking the AT during the traditional "season?" I would recommend the lightest Montbell (or among the lightest), and use your base layers and wind/rain jacket to supplement if necessary. Sure, you can also wear that around town, assuming we are still talking about AT thru-hiking season. For around town in a northern winter, that's a separate piece of gear, IMO.

saltysack
12-28-2012, 21:30
Loop let me clear this up. I'm only a section hiker looking to stay warm at camp durn cold months on trail and off

STICK
12-29-2012, 00:18
I layer a MB UL Down Inner Parka (w/ hood) over my R1 and it works great for me. I had the jacket first and returned it for the parka...just a personal preference. I also have a Black Rock Gear down boggin I carry, plus, my windshirt and my rain shell has a hood too. I like the hoods, they are welcome once I get to camp and it is just cold.

Violent Green
12-29-2012, 00:42
The Montbell UL Down Jacket or Parka, depending on hood preference, are both extremely popular. The are very light, very warm for their weight, and fairly cheap when you can find a good sale. Mine keeps me warm to 25-30 degrees with the normal layers underneath for a whopping 7 oz. No need to reinvent the wheel here. If you need more warmth than that, take a fleece like 10k mentioned or even a light windshirt can get you a few more degrees. As far as for around town, I think they are fairly stylish for what they are but that really depends on your preferences.

If price is a concern, Uniqlo makes a great down jacket/parka for $70.

Ryan

Dogwood
12-29-2012, 01:50
.......also, I carry a down bag to sleep in, I can a;ways use that for warmth- DelQ

My hiking philosphy too!

As they say, there are hikers and there are campers. Well, I'm a hiker that camps, NOT a camper that sometimes hikes! My primary piece of gear for warmth in camp is my sleeping bag. During the long days of the yr I hike until very near or after sunset. On short days of the yr I often hike until after sunset into the night, like 3 hrs after sunset even on cold weather treks. Unparalled solitude! Hiking after sunset opens a hiker up to another world of life and possibilities! I get my miles in hiking at a moderate pace but for LONG hours, day after day. It's my thru-hiking modus operandi. As such, when I stop I'm in my bag within 20 mins, not milling around camp and certainly not milling about camp in a down jacket early in the day. If I was car camping might be a different story.

As an UL HIKER, I have a hard time justifying bringing a down jacket just for camping and/or for stops. Could be a slightly different story if I'm peak bagging, spending nights on summits or high elevation ridges, mountaineering, hiking in VERY remote back country environments, etc with high exposure or possibly VERY inclement weather. Hence, I VERY CAREFULY evaluate conditions and possible conditions before I gear up. If I can't hike in a piece of clothing I rarely to never bring it. Even if I find myself RARELY wearing a piece of clothing or RARELY employing a piece of gear I OFTEN carefully consider doing something else, like layering differently with different pieces, mixing things up a bit with a different kit, or ditching gear. I look for integration of my gear, of my entire gear kit. Everything, including me, must work together seamlessly. I seek gear that can do double and triple duty whenever feasible. I apply this to clothing, shoes, socks, and whatever I'm wearing too! When I set out on long-distance treks that cover months in duration I know conditions will change dramatically enough that I will swap out, add, and eliminate, gear. I have that gear on the side lines waiting to be mailed to me when needed. If I can't hike in a range of conditions in my clothing I feel I need to rethink things. In prep for his Pinhoti Trail thru-hike, 10-K was doing something similiar to this recently in the thread he started titled, "Ever Hike In Rain Pants?

I hike in down, mostly a RAB down vest, but sometimes a Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket(no longer made by MontBell) quite regularly when conditions dictate; however, when I do this I know it affects that integration. This hiking clothing is also often sleeping gear! Including a down piece whether it be a vest or jacket in my kit effects my sleeping bag, sleep system, possible shelter choices, other layering pieces, accessories, even what's on my feet, etc. And, you might consider I have three main hiking down insulating pieces, a vest and two down jackets of different wts, warmth, features, etc. I also have two main synthetic insulating pieces a MB Thermawrap jacket and vest. Plus I have like half a dozen long sleeved different wt torso layering pieces, almost exclusively merino, and like five different wt tees, again almost exclusively merino or merino/synthetic blends. IMO, layering is where it's at! And staying warm AND comfortable in my hiking clothes is about keeping my extremities and my core warm and knowing how to use my gear. Don't distress. Don't get overwhelmed by my comments. These pieces I've accumulated over ten yrs. I do lots of hikng in lots of varied conditions and locations. I've evolved to learn what works FOR ME. It's taken more than ten yrs and 14k + trail miles to get to this pt with my hiking, and sometimes town clothing, choices. And, I learn new things or how to approach things differently ALL the time! There are other things I do and consider and know I can do IF needed. Notice the integration, double and triple duty and compartmentalization ocurring? Look for more of it to follow. I'm not the first, or last, to consider things this way either. Look at some of the comments by DelQ and BrianLe for instance.

My only typical piece of HIKING gear with a hood is a shell usually a UL rain/wind jacket combo. My only down piece with a hood is a heavy down belay jacket for climbing that fits over a helmet. I almost always thru-hike with an appropriate wt merino or alpaca hat, sometimes a sherpa hat/baclava in winter, as my primary means for warmth on my head. If I need that much more warmth on my head I put on my shell and lift up the hood over my merino or alpaca hat. Sometimes, in addition to a hat, I'll add a light wt bandanana into the mix, like during shoulder season cool treks, with the wind/rain jacket. I will use the bandana, wrapped around my ears over the merino/alpaca hat and lift up the hood of my shell. Toasty! Bandana is also used during the warmer part of the day to keep sweat off my face as a folded bandana and to filter drinking water and whatever else I can think of using it for. I almost always have some type of gloves, rarely mittems, appropriate for the conditions. But even then, I don't just look at gloves for hand warmth. Hence, I like shells with hand pockets.

So, now can you understand why BrianLe said this?

Not enough information. I own more than one down jacket, because there are differing situations. Without knowing the particular conditions contemplated, I don't think a recommendation is helpful.

I will say that both of my down jackets are Montbell brand, one EX Light and one an Alpine Light Parka. Both are excellent, but they're quite different. And I'll often layer them with a mix of other clothing items, which also impacts the particular down jacket I take on a particular trip. Ditto which sleeping bag I'm using.

ChinMusic
12-29-2012, 03:13
As I said before, my down jacket IS a part of my sleep system. It just happens to be easily worn AT CAMP if I want to.

saltysack
12-29-2012, 11:09
Alittle concerned with durability of the ul version vs the alpine due to heavy duty shell. Guys at mountain crossings rec alpine for that reason...thoughts..I also would use it car camping etc

STICK
12-29-2012, 12:04
I also have the Alpine Light Down Parka (in addition to the UL Down Inner Parka) and yes, there is a considerable difference in the shells. The UL Down Inner uses a 15D shell whereas the Alpine Light uses a 30D shell. No doubt about it, the 15D is a more "fragile" material, but that does not mean that it is weak. As long as you are careful when wearing the 15D shell, it is just fine. They are not made to bushwhack in, at least as an outer layer, but then again, I wouldn't go bushwhacking in the 30D shell either, if I had a choice. As others have mentioned though, I also use mine at camp and to supplement my sleep system if needed, so it is quite easy to care for. In my opinion, what I really have more concern about with the 15D shell vs the 30D shell is that the 30D is more downproof. I have hardly lost any down at all through my 30D shell, whereas I have lost a little with my 15D shell, and especially if I am sleeping in it. Not to say that I am afraid that my 15D shell will be devoid of all its down anytime soon, but I like the idea of keeping it inside the jacket...

Another thing to think about is the Alpine Light has twice the amount of down as the UL Down Inner, so do you really need that much down? Don't let the numbers fool you... 4.3 oz in my XL down parka is alot... I look quite like the Michelin Man in the Alpine Light, and it is warm. I can wear just a tshirt under the Alpine Light and be absolutely fine in temps right down to 20 F. If it got much cooler and I was just sitting around, just a long sleeve shirt under the parka would be fine then. It is warm, of course though YMMV... So, I only carry the UL Down Inner for backpacking. With my layering system, it works very well. Here are the layers I wear that will keep me fine to 10 F in camp:

Patagonia Cap 2 long sleeve
Patagonia R1 Flash Pullover
Windshirt
MB UL Down Inner Parka
Hard Shell

Here is a post with a video in which I talk about all of my layers too:

My Wintry Layers (http://sticksblog.com/2012/12/01/my-wintry-layering-system/)

Dogwood
12-30-2012, 01:55
Nice run down STICK.
+1 to what he said.

10-K
12-30-2012, 09:16
So... there are pros and cons to both so matter which one you get there are times you'll wish you'd got the other one.

But, take comfort in the fact that there is no bad choice - they are both excellent.

'cept I like the GoLite better... :)

saltysack
12-30-2012, 10:57
Thx all., going w the alpine light parka over jacket

BrianLe
12-30-2012, 15:59
"... not trail blazing but I do have pets and kids so needs to be alittle more than paper thin but am weight conscious but not a gram weenie. I don't plan to hike in the down."

FWIW, I wouldn't let pets and kids near any down garment I own if I could help it. But your requirements here of a somewhat tough, durable shell is of course in conflict with the weight conscious aspect, something else that only you can really sort out.

I'm a bit surprised that you're going with the Alpine Light parka --- nice item, but on the heavy side unless you're in quite cold weather. I find that I use my EX Light jacket a lot more, in combination with clothing such as an R1 hoody. But as has been said by Dogwood and Stick and others, indeed it's not just the type of trips you go on, but your particular approach to backpacking that makes it so very difficult to get recommendations that are really helpful. And there are so many clothing options/alternatives. No one knows all the choices really well.

If you have a sense for how warm one or two well known items are, you can get a sense, a more objective comparison of relative warmth of garments from this BPL thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950&disable_pagination=1
Warning however: this is a really long and somewhat geeky discussion. Still, you can at least see how a number of other garments stack up to your R1 hoody.

Dogwood
12-30-2012, 18:55
FWIW, I wouldn't let pets and kids near any down garment I own if I could help it. - BrianLe

LOL. One of my hiking friends bragged about a Brandy New Pricey 850 Hungarian Goose Down Jacket he had recently purchased. Finally, after hyping up the jacket several times, I got him to invite me over to his house to see it. And, I was eager to check it out. When he opened the door to his spare bedroom where he stored his gear there were his girlfriend's three cats in the midst of what resembled an exploded goose. Cats shredded his jacket. They had down all over the place. One even gave him a coy mischievious smile like the Cheshire Cat. LOL. I was rolling on the floor busting a gut. They also sharpened, or tried to sharpen their claws, on his Neo Air. The Neo Air looked like a shredded crashed yellow zepplin llying in the corner. Funny shart. Gllad it wasn't me.

Rasty
12-30-2012, 18:58
FWIW, I wouldn't let pets and kids near any down garment I own if I could help it. - BrianLe

LOL. One of my hiking friends bragged about a Brandy New Pricey 850 Hungarian Goose Down Jacket he had recently purchased. Finally, after hyping up the jacket several times, I got him to invite me over to his house to see it. And, I was eager to check it out. When he opened the door to his spare bedroom where he stored his gear there were his girlfriend's three cats in the midst of what resembled an exploded goose. Cats shredded his jacket. They had down all over the place. One even gave him a coy mischievious smile like the Cheshire Cat. LOL. I was rolling on the floor busting a gut. They also sharpened, or tried to sharpen their claws, on his Neo Air. The Neo Air looked like a shredded crashed yellow zepplin llying in the corner. Funny shart. Gllad it wasn't me.

I have three cats and would never trust them near anything I valued.

Dogwood
12-30-2012, 19:08
I have three cats and would never trust them near anything I valued.

Ny friend knew this too. As it turned out, his girlfriend had one of her friends over to the house. The friend, not knowing what cats can do and what was stored in the room, placed the three cats in the room and closed the door. Hello kitty kitty. Oooh 850 down. It feels so good rolling around in it., tossing the feathers up into the air and chasing them.

Rasty
12-30-2012, 19:11
Ny friend knew this too. As it turned out, his girlfriend had one of her friends over to the house. The friend, not knowing what cats can do and what was stored in the room, placed the three cats in the room and closed the door. Hello kitty kitty. Oooh 850 down. It feels so good rolling around in it., tossing the feathers up into the air and chasing them.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GbycvPwr1Wg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10-K
12-30-2012, 19:16
If a cat pees on it you might as well burn it.

Can you even get that smell out?

Dogwood
12-30-2012, 19:30
Rasty, that was good.

Rasty
12-30-2012, 20:26
If a cat pees on it you might as well burn it.

Can you even get that smell out?

After it's burned it only smells like ash.

I think they sell products for removing the smell from cat piss. Almost anything can be removed from clothing with the right soap. Now cocoa powder mixed with pickle juice is forever. You don't want to know.

Rasty
12-30-2012, 20:27
Rasty, that was good.

I saw that a while back and it reminded me of my cats.

saltysack
12-30-2012, 21:50
I'm a little worried about the shell thickness on ex light.. On mb site I don't see a hooded version of the ex light only the ultra light parka, that the one??pockets would be nice for around town while not on trail. Too many choices. Stick has me alittle concerned w the 15 Shell. Use off trail would prob just wear over t shirt. Don't plan to be out below 20-30 deg,

Rasty
12-30-2012, 21:56
I'm a little worried about the shell thickness on ex light.. On mb site I don't see a hooded version of the ex light only the ultra light parka, that the one??pockets would be nice for around town while not on trail. Too many choices. Stick has me alittle concerned w the 15 Shell. Use off trail would prob just wear over t shirt. Don't plan to be out below 20-30 deg,

Are you cold at 40 degrees? Or is this still t-shirt weather?

saltysack
12-30-2012, 23:28
Sitting still 40 is cold to me.

saltysack
12-30-2012, 23:35
My last hike it got to mid 30, what i had at camp was capilene , r1 and frogg togg rain jacket. It was cold so looking for another layer that can also be worn alone not hiking. I'm in need of a heavier jacket for colder weather at home around town. I can't justify a jacket that serves well for hiking but doesn't meet the everyday uses.

Dogwood
12-31-2012, 12:58
Here's a link to a discussion concerning some of the same things as you are considering:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58757 (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58757)

If it helps, I started SOBO on the CDT using the MB UL Down Inner Jacket as a mid or outer layer. It has the Airlite Ballistic 15 D shell. I think my experiences with this 15D nylon shell can be applied to other 15 D nylon shells used in other MB products. The CDT has some bushwacking involved where I used it. I also used it on sections of the Tahoe Rim Trail, CT, some National Parks, and heavily wooded portions of the PCT in early spring conditions(snow on the ground). I did poke a small hole in it from a river willow branch, where the willows were extremely thick, IN TOWN along the Truckee River in Reno but applied a few drops of Seam Grip and the repair is hard to detect. Like STICK said don't bushwack in it or be careful if doing so in some situations. Like STICK also said that would apply if going with a 15 D or 30 D shell down garment. I have had no issue with the durabilty/fragility of it other than that and I really shouldn't have been poking around in those thick willows with that jacket looking for a way to get to the river to fish. You really should have little issue with it on the AT during when you might bring it IF you treat it with some TLC. I think you would want to treat any down piece with a fair amount of TLC especially the priciest UL pieces. On the AT, be careful of things like poking a hole in it from a shelter nail, sharply pointed branch, wild rose thorns, brambles, thimbleberries, wild black/rasp berries, packing it, grabbing it too quickly or inconsiderately when hanging it on or over something, etc. For example, I sat on a downed tree on the CT recently while wearing New Balance nylon running shorts. Got up too quickly catching the fabric on a tiny branch on the downed tree and ripped a 6 inch long tear in the bottom of the shorts. I liked those shorts. Again, they don't make the MB UL Down Inner Jacket any more but MB still use that same shell fabric, the 15D Ballistic Airlite, which I think serves its purpose very well, in other down gear.

saltysack
12-31-2012, 19:48
Thanks for the link..great info. Think I might look for a deal and try both and send one back. Does bc.com ever put on sale? Thx....just ran across the golite down parkas it also looks nice but alittle heavier

Dogwood
01-01-2013, 01:45
Don't know what bc.com is but if you mean Backcountry, the answer is yes. It's where I bought my MB Down Ul Inner jacket. Bought it for like $70-80 on clearance. Might check ProLite and some others too. Some sales and end of yr clearance still happening. If you do GoLite PM me. I might be able to help you with some pricing. I think I have a coupon for ya. If you had decided ion a GOLite down jacket sooner you could have taken advantage of some killer down jacket deals with their recent 12 days of cristmas sale. It was tempting for me not to hit the buy button with some of the deals they were offering. Likewise REI and CampSaver have been stacking up offers in my inbox. Check them out too.