PDA

View Full Version : Comfortably Light

Rasty
12-27-2012, 20:19
Here is my take on a 3 Season list and a Winter List for comfortably light! http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=10790 (http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=10790) (3 Season with 5 days food)
http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=10791 (http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=10791) (Winter with 6 days food). There are a few easy next steps like lighter rain gear and a solo tent to cut an easy 2 pounds. I spent money this year getting ready for winter hiking which I wasn't geared up for until this Christmas. Be naughty or Nice I'm not going to get my feelings hurt.

Hosaphone
12-27-2012, 20:50
Looks pretty good.

Just get you some DriDucks :mad:

slow mind
12-27-2012, 20:54
Why Nalgenes in the winter and Gatoraide bottle for 3-season?
Are your winter gaitors insulated to keep your ankles warm?

Rasty
12-27-2012, 20:58
Why Nalgenes in the winter and Gatoraide bottle for 3-season?
Are your winter gaitors insulated to keep your ankles warm?

Nalgenes can handle hot water. Not insulated but my ankles should be fine as they are almost all bone.

Rasty
12-27-2012, 20:59
Looks pretty good.

Just get you some DriDucks :mad:

Was debating Golite or Marmot. Maybe for my Birthday?

slow mind
12-27-2012, 21:05
Ahhh.. hot water. Seems so obvious now.

Coffee Rules!
12-28-2012, 08:32
I like the title of this thread as a mindset for pack weight. I've bought some pretty light gear, but I'm not drilling holes in my toothbrush or anything like that.

10-K
12-28-2012, 08:37
Rasty I think that's a neat exercise but I know you know it's for a hypothetical hiking trip so that makes it hard to make suggestions.

Every trip is different, regardless of season. The projected weather forecast, the terrain, resupply options along the way - all of these things affect your gear list.

To put it another way, there are a dozen things I might change - or might not - depending.

yellowsirocco
12-28-2012, 08:58
Nalgenes can handle hot water. Not insulated but my ankles should be fine as they are almost all bone.

So how about one Nalgene and one Gatorade? By the time you finish one Nalgene full of something hot then the other would have cooled.

jimmyjam
12-28-2012, 09:08
I think you forgot your first aid kit.

MDSection12
12-28-2012, 09:15
I'm really glad to see this. I consider this a reasonable, lightweight set up... And I usually hit similar weights. It gets a little depressing reading post after post of people with sub-twenties packs, fully loaded. I may get there one day, but for now my back is strong, my wallet is light and my skills are still forming... So ultralight just doesn't seem to be the right course, yet.

Thanks for posting!

Rasty
12-28-2012, 09:43
I think you forgot your first aid kit.

I did forget that. It's been in the pack untouched for so it's easy to forget. Add 3.68 ounces.

Rasty
12-28-2012, 09:52
Rasty I think that's a neat exercise but I know you know it's for a hypothetical hiking trip so that makes it hard to make suggestions.

Every trip is different, regardless of season. The projected weather forecast, the terrain, resupply options along the way - all of these things affect your gear list.

To put it another way, there are a dozen things I might change - or might not - depending.

True

The three season is for March to June and September to October which is when I usually hike. During the summer I leave home the thermals, rain pants, gloves and hat.

If I hiking in coastal NC I leave the Aqua Mira home and take a filter. I don't trust it for Fisteria.

The winter set up if my plan for this January in the Smokies.

Coffee Rules!
12-28-2012, 09:56
Add 3.68 ounces.

Ahh, NOW I know why I was able to keep up with you for an hour or so. That massive first aid kit was weighing you down. Here I thought you were hiking slow to be a nice guy.

Rasty
12-28-2012, 10:00
Ahh, NOW I know why I was able to keep up with you for an hour or so. That massive first aid kit was weighing you down. Here I thought you were hiking slow to be a nice guy.

I've had it for close to 8 years so it's probably around 3oz just from dry rot as I haven't used a single band aid. I opened it once and used the tweezers. Going to fast is my worst hiking habit. I know I need to slow down the first few days but...

Coffee Rules!
12-28-2012, 10:02
Eureka! The cheap route to ultralight! Let everything dry rot.

turtle fast
12-28-2012, 12:41
The Nalgene resists freezing temps better as well, I have had a Gatoraide bottle freeze and split while my Nalgene just had a crust of ice but still liquid inside while sitting side by side once. The ability to have a hot water bottle inside a sleeping bag in winter is heavenly.

Drybones
12-28-2012, 21:09
You have not provided adequate data to arrive at the solution for the defined task. Please re-evaluate your weights and provide pie graphs with appropriate color and taste...please include blueberry, apple, and pecan...mostly blueberry.