PDA

View Full Version : REI Garage Sale

fiveonomo
12-27-2012, 21:36
Hey all, I managed to snag some gift cards and some cash for Christmas and my Birthday. Gonna head to my first REI Garage Sale on Saturday morning. Any advice for a Garage Sale newbie?

My plan is to be there around 0500 but it could be earlier if need be. I have to work Friday ( 24 hour shift) but I got a guy coming in for me at 2200 and my plan was to crash at work until about 0430 and then head for the sale. Any thoughts are welcome, even the negative. I have never been so I need to experience it and make my own decision on what I think but just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.

Freedom Walker
12-27-2012, 22:01
Never been to one either, but like any sale make a list and pick-up quickly anything you can use before someone else can. You can put it down if you decide you don't want to buy. Closest REI to me is near Nashville, 90 miles away.

fiveonomo
12-27-2012, 23:15
Thanks Freedom!

SOBO_Pace
12-27-2012, 23:32
Get in and just grab as much returned gear as you can. Then look at the flaws in the item and put back what you don't want. It's a ass thing to do but that's the thing to do. Also wait around for a little bit because others are doing the same as you and you can find other deals.
What REI is having the sale?

RedBeerd
12-28-2012, 13:52
Yeah, don't go. People turn into obnoxious animals at these things. People stuff their bags full to go examine it in a corner and then ditch what they don't want. The whole thing is absurd. But if you do go my advice is become a raging lunatic and disregard other people. Be a selfish ******* and you MIGHT make out okay.

Freedom Walker
12-28-2012, 14:47
Hey all, I managed to snag some gift cards and some cash for Christmas and my Birthday. Gonna head to my first REI Garage Sale on Saturday morning. Any advice for a Garage Sale newbie?

My plan is to be there around 0500 but it could be earlier if need be. I have to work Friday ( 24 hour shift) but I got a guy coming in for me at 2200 and my plan was to crash at work until about 0430 and then head for the sale. Any thoughts are welcome, even the negative. I have never been so I need to experience it and make my own decision on what I think but just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.

After a second thought, if you are a member of REI, be patient and wait for the online sales. On Black Friday they had several items 50% off. I was interested in a Down Jacket reg 200. for 99. I hesitated and it was back to reg price a few days later. Sometimes They have 20% off reg items and outlet items as well. Currently they are offering a $100. gift card for getting the REI Vista. I did that earlier this year and applied it to my new boots. If you do go, come back and let us know if it was worth it. I live to far away to try and attend. Remember, REI offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Grey Ghost
12-28-2012, 17:17
Anything you buy at the Garage Sale at REI has no guarantee. I was planning on going but I do not know if it would be worth it. Good luck if you go.

rjjones
12-28-2012, 19:44
Get there early and be prepared to throw some elbows.Went once,i couldnt beleive how rude people were.No wonder i hike in the woods by myself.

fiveonomo
12-28-2012, 22:01
The REI in Richmond, VA is having the sale. Sounds like an irritating waste of time. However, I will be leaving work at 4 am, that will put me there at 5 am to see what it is all about. I will give a full report tomorrow night.

TNhiker
12-29-2012, 02:45
If you do go, come back and let us know if it was worth it. I live to far away to try and attend

likewise...............except this week, while visiting the folks---i'm in an area that i could potentially be at 4 different REI's within a short drive of each other.....

but not at house im at right now............it would take me 2 hours to get into beltway region, and behold 4 REIs are at my beck and call.........

however, i'm not an early riser, and at the utmost earliest (and seeing as i'm writing this at 130 in the morning the odds go down) i would be at one would be noon.......

luckily........i have most everything i need already (bought new boots.....bought new tent last month.......etc etc etc) ........so it would be more of a curiousity adventure than a necessity adventure....

i do have plans on stopping at the REI that is about 15 minutes from my dads house as i want to compare their selection of boots.....

i was just in the college park REI the other day buying a new set of boots but i figure while nearby, i should check out the selection at the columbia store.....

as with REI's 100% guarantee, if im not happy after i've put these new ones through a practical on trail test----i can get something else.....

it will be interesting to see what is left of the used gear sale in the early afternoon.....

i do know at the columbia store---someone should be getting a killer deal on a big agnes fly creek UL 1..........as i just returned a new and unused one of those there last month......

fiveonomo
12-29-2012, 06:50
At some point by someone I was told that you could not camp here or hang out except for a couple of hours before the sale. I got here at just a few minutes after 0500 and the tents are wrapped around the building, parking lot is full. Guess I missed the bus on this one. It's cold and raining, I don't need anything, not sure if I'm staying.

fiveonomo
12-29-2012, 06:53
18676 I guess I will go get in line......maybe.

yellowsirocco
12-29-2012, 06:55
At some point by someone I was told that you could not camp here or hang out except for a couple of hours before the sale. I got here at just a few minutes after 0500 and the tents are wrapped around the building, parking lot is full. Guess I missed the bus on this one. It's cold and raining, I don't need anything, not sure if I'm staying.
There will be other garage sales. It is not worth it to stand in the rain.

fiveonomo
12-29-2012, 06:59
I agree, however. I took off from work and left in the middle of the night. I gotta stay and see what it is like, I took leave and made the drive.

fiveonomo
12-29-2012, 07:11
Man there is a ton of people here and they are rolling in steady. This will be more of a recon mission for future sales.

G-FOURce
12-29-2012, 10:11
Man there is a ton of people here and they are rolling in steady. This will be more of a recon mission for future sales.

its absolute chaos. i should have told you... stick around a bit as people almost always grab far more than they need/want and end up putting stuff back down.

Northern Lights
12-29-2012, 12:53
Those are some serious outdoors folks to camp out and maybe get something they want. But I'd probably do it too if we had an REI

RyanK817
12-29-2012, 15:47
Yeah I have never had a good experience at REI used gear sales. It's worse than Black Friday because people are just as rude and aggressive, but there is no order or structure to the layout of the merchandise, seems like it's different at every sale. I see tug-of-war going on with items every time, and like others have mentioned, the only way to figure out what items are there and what kind of condition they're in is to just grab an armful of stuff and go hide somewhere in the store and go through it, which ruins it for everyone else. You really need to be able to look through all the tables to see what kind of gear is there, but in reality anything worth buying is claimed in the first 3 minutes. Boots & shoes are the one thing that they have plenty of and you have a good chance of snagging a good deal on throughout the first few hours. I got a pair of goretex Merrell Moabs last year in brand new condition for $50. I don't plan on going to another one any time soon though. Sad to see the spirit of outdoorsmanship go up in smoke when you can save a few bucks.

fiveonomo
12-29-2012, 17:01
Hello all, I have returned from my first REI Garage Sale and it was a success. I got there around 0500 and stayed until noon. I am happy to report that I saw none of the bad stuff that we were discussing in this thread. Not sure if I just was never in the right place or it just didn't happen. All I saw was very kind and courteous people helping each other out.

My thoughts are that if you are going to one of these you need a plan. If you want a tent go directly to the tents, if you want a pack go directly to packs, etc.. I ended up in the shoes first and racked up. Merrill moabs for $7.41 like new and three other pairs as well. Vibram toe shoes for $10, like new...the retailed for $110. I got a BA Big House 4 for some car family camping, $125. Since I had Christmas and Birthday money I bought a bunch of other stuff new, I had a great day.

Total cost for the used (like new) stuff was $175.11, pretty cool. I definitely will be going back it was well worth it.

Northern Lights
12-29-2012, 17:03
Hello all, I have returned from my first REI Garage Sale and it was a success. I got there around 0500 and stayed until noon. I am happy to report that I saw none of the bad stuff that we were discussing in this thread. Not sure if I just was never in the right place or it just didn't happen. All I saw was very kind and courteous people helping each other out.

My thoughts are that if you are going to one of these you need a plan. If you want a tent go directly to the tents, if you want a pack go directly to packs, etc.. I ended up in the shoes first and racked up. Merrill moabs for $7.41 like new and three other pairs as well. Vibram toe shoes for $10, like new...the retailed for $110. I got a BA Big House 4 for some car family camping, $125. Since I had Christmas and Birthday money I bought a bunch of other stuff new, I had a great day.

Total cost for the used (like new) stuff was $175.11, pretty cool. I definitely will be going back it was well worth it.

Cool Beans, glad you found some good deals

Lucky Dog
12-29-2012, 17:05
My wife and I went this morning also and got some great deals.

johnnybgood
12-29-2012, 17:21

Good work. The last REI garage sale I bought a pair of Keen Targhees , only worn once , for $25.83. I've had no issues with the store there at Short Pump and the whole experiece is significally better than the one I went to in northern VA.

Freedom Walker
12-29-2012, 18:19

Thats some nice looking shoes. Did you see any size 14 (my size). Glad you went and had success.

fiveonomo
12-29-2012, 19:37
Thanks everyone, I did not see a 14. I bet you have that problem often.

Theosus
12-29-2012, 19:59
Ugh... All these tales about people camping out and black friday... that's why I avoid black friday in the first place. Im glad I was on call this weekend and couldnt go. I pictured a bunch of tables with stuff sitting out, people wandering up and checking things out. This stuff about rushing and grabbing and tug of wars, not for me. I'd rather pay an online sale price or something, or even full price. It's one reason I shop on amazon. People suck and there are too many of them.

atmilkman
12-29-2012, 20:14

Hmm. Makes you wonder how come they didn't act like they were supposed to. What do you think got into them?

Many Moons
12-29-2012, 20:24

Are you a firefighter?? I am and not many work 24 hour shifts and can get off early by having a brother come in for you! I will see you on the trail. Hike On!!!

Miller

fiveonomo
12-29-2012, 22:58
Theosus, man bro I hope life improves for you, it would suck to walk through life with that outlook. Good luck though.
atmilkman, I don't know. I do know that my whole life I have dealt up close and personal with people, I have always made my living dealing closely with people. I can say that most of the time they will disappoint you, sometimes they don't.
Many Moons, you got it. Yep, my buddy on C shift came in at 2300 and relieved me. Greatest job on the planet!!

buldogge
12-30-2012, 00:27
The St. Louis sale was downright orderly.

About 110 people in line when I got there at 7:30. Manager came out and laid down the rules...everyone seemed to abide.

I didn't see any really killer deals...but...I picked up an all-but-new TNF Cat's Meow 20 for the wife, an Exped pad, some Thule 78" load bars, and some blue Sole insoles for decent prices. Was hoping to find an Osprey Hornet 32 or 46...oh well.

Actually the shoe sale on Friday was better...got some Brooks Cascadias, La Sportiva C-Lites, and Salomon XAs for $50 total.

-Mark in St. Louis

Driver8
12-30-2012, 02:02
West Hartford sale was orderly and civil, and the gear well organized. I did ok, got a nice REI puffy jacket for about half off - very warm, like it a lot. Also got a Smartwool toque for half off - looks to have been worn never - a finicky customer pulled one thread out of line taking off the tags and returned it - also very warm, also very fond. Got a nice heavy leather pair of Merrell Boots for about half off - look to have been worn once or twice. No traction aids or snowshoes on offer, alas. I later went by EMS and snapped up a deal they had on snowshoes and a sack to carry them in, plus a pair of TPs. That and some gaiters. Also picked up a fleece balaclava.

Still need crampons, goggles and an ice axe: in due time - this winter, I intend to take on relatively easier assignments - no breaking trail, nothing too cold, and nothing technical, will mostly stick to packed trail and less vexing ice when venturing further north.

Blackbeard30
12-30-2012, 13:16
I got a GoPro Hero HD camera for $60. I have tried it out yet though.

fiveonomo
12-30-2012, 19:09
I got around to setting up the Big Agnes Big House 4 today that I picked up at the REI Garage sale yesterday. Looks like the story checks out. Supposedly they bought it and sat it up in the back yard when they discovered the hole and returned it.

As you can see the hole is way smaller than a fingernail. That is the only problem I can find with the tent.

The guy lines have never been unraveled, the tent looks brand new minus the tiny hole. I do not have any experience patching the screen on a tent, I assume this can be done. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Just wanted to show everyone. This obviously is not for backpacking as it is way to big and heavy. This will be used car camping with the family.

G-FOURce
12-30-2012, 19:55
great looking tent, man! as much as i wanted to avoid it, i had to hit REI yesterday but we waited until around 1pm. even then i stumbled onto an REI Camp Bed 3.5 that is flawless so i snacked that up for car camping. good on ya, bro, for the nice tent deal!

N9ZSY
12-30-2012, 20:11
Drove to the store close to downtown Chicago yesterday for the sale... Got there about 45 minutes after they opened and all was still calm... I managed to snap a High Sierra pack (a bit bulky but useful) for $22, a couple of sets of hiking pants for $12 each, a Marmont shell for $27, and an REI shell pant for $12... Girlfriend got four pairs of Smartwool socks for $0.86 (all four pair, not each pair) some "sensor gloves" for $8, and a pair of Merril's (sp?) for $45... Also got a few things at regular price... Way I figured it, we got close to $600 worth of gear for $275 (actually only $75 out of pocket)... Made it worth the trip... Granted good ole Mother Nature bit us with blinding Lake Effect on the way home, but still a decent day...

Old Hiker
12-30-2012, 22:11
In a way, I'm kinda glad I'm not near an REI. I'd have my Visa bill WAY up at the garage sales!

I'm pretty sure that's just the jealousy speaking, though. Nice scores, everyone!!

G-FOURce
12-30-2012, 22:18
...Girlfriend got four pairs of Smartwool socks for $0.86 (all four pair, not each pair)...

at 97% off (or better, depending on the style) that was worth the trip alone!

hermit1970
12-30-2012, 22:34
Get in and just grab as much returned gear as you can. Then look at the flaws in the item and put back what you don't want. It's a ass thing to do but that's the thing to do.

This is what everybody did in front of me in line. By the time I got in there was nothing left to look at. Some fools had 10 items they were trying to look through at the same time. Total asses in my opinion. Would never go to another one.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
12-31-2012, 03:56
Went to my local REI as well. Scored a pair of Merrell Cham 4's, half price, and a pair of ladies convertibles (REI brand) for $20 - reason returned: "pet hair". I think it really helps that my REI is in Yuppieville, because where I'm from the solution to "pet hair" is "wash them"? Anyway, glad whoever was so picky, 'cause they fit and look ok.

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 08:04
After a second thought, if you are a member of REI, be patient and wait for the online sales. On Black Friday they had several items 50% off. I was interested in a Down Jacket reg 200. for 99. I hesitated and it was back to reg price a few days later. Sometimes They have 20% off reg items and outlet items as well. Currently they are offering a $100. gift card for getting the REI Vista. I did that earlier this year and applied it to my new boots. If you do go, come back and let us know if it was worth it. I live to far away to try and attend. Remember, REI offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

I down is tops for warmth but doesn't down get wet very easily and become useless

Wannabe Thru-Hiker
12-31-2012, 08:07
Went to my local REI as well. Scored a pair of Merrell Cham 4's, half price, and a pair of ladies convertibles (REI brand) for $20 - reason returned: "pet hair". I think it really helps that my REI is in Yuppieville, because where I'm from the solution to "pet hair" is "wash them"? Anyway, glad whoever was so picky, 'cause they fit and look ok.

Yuppieville is a real treat on trash day

I find all kinds of cool stuff cruising the north shore neighborhoods

Half of my home came off those curbs

Yuppies throw away good stuff

theinfamousj
01-01-2013, 16:12
Those are some serious outdoors folks to camp out and maybe get something they want. But I'd probably do it too if we had an REI

I camp for every garage sale that I go to. The reason being that I can show up at 10 pm, when the store closes the night before, set up my tent, sleep the full night, wake at 8 when they give out numbers, and still be within the first 10 in the store. I get more sleep than folks 200 places behind me who arrived at 5 am.

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2

R1ma
01-02-2013, 17:54
Went to my store (Framingham, MA). They were doing lottery based on last digit of your membership number. Showed up at 10:45. My number was called at 10:50. Scored a nice pair of Rossignol BC nordic boots for about 70% off.

Drybones
01-02-2013, 18:25
I went to one REI S&D sale...and the last, what a zoo, if you were not one of the first to be called you missed it, amazing how fast the stuff went. I did buy a Quarterdome tent (which I never use), a Flash 50 pack (which I like but dont use because the torso is too short), and a Flash 18 daypack (which gets occassional use.

BirdBrain
06-13-2015, 08:49
I just happened by a REI in Reading Mass. Big line outside. They say a huge sale is going on when open. Never been to a REI. What can I expect?

Edit: Just read whole thread. I love Black Friday. Great entertainment. Not sure I will buy anything. Should be fun watching the kids fight for socks. :D

rocketsocks
06-13-2015, 09:59
I just happened by a REI in Reading Mass. Big line outside. They say a huge sale is going on when open. Never been to a REI. What can I expect?

Edit: Just read whole thread. I love Black Friday. Great entertainment. Not sure I will buy anything. Should be fun watching the kids fight for socks. :Ddont forget your elbow pads, cup, and mouth piece.

BirdBrain
06-13-2015, 10:37
dont forget your elbow pads, cup, and mouth piece.

No scars. No buys. I guess I already have what I need. :(

rocketsocks
06-13-2015, 11:36
No scars. No buys. I guess I already have what I need. :(I always figure I'm better off, cause I'd just have to carry it anyway.

NJdreamer
06-13-2015, 22:48
I enjoy the Rei garage sales. The one near me is civilized. I bought two sleeping pads for car camping and spring gators. Other times I have bought clothes that needed minor repairs. My strategy is to early, go right to what I want , pick up 2 quickly and go to the next spot, and then check the big stuff out. One pad needed a minor repair which I did. The gators were perfect, just too small for the first buyer.

-SEEKER-
06-14-2015, 13:14
Attended my second REI Garage Sale yesterday. So far both have gone well for me other than a child (10-12 y/o?) that ducked under and came up right in front of me. I put up with him long enough to calm down then I just leaned in and squashed him against the table, he got the message. When I go I don't have anything specific that I am looking for, I just grab deals that can't be passed up. Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to one of the members on WB. Ended up spending 3 1/2 hours there and scored some great deals.